• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
On DC Universe, is any of the comic stuff in a reading order? Like if I wanted to read all of, say, Infinite Crisis, is that in a way you could read it in order?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Newest Avengers related

Am I crazy or has
Mephisto
been showing up a lot lately in Marvel books?

On DC Universe, is any of the comic stuff in a reading order? Like if I wanted to read all of, say, Infinite Crisis, is that in a way you could read it in order?

There are reading orders but they seem to be arbitrary selections and there's no "event" section like Marvel. There's a "Storylines" tab that covers a number of them but not all, Infinite Crisis isn't on there but stuff like CoIE is. Hopefully it gets updated.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Terrifics #15 - Props to Yang, he's really carrying the torch well here. Solid balance between vague sci-fi action and interesting interpersonal relationships. I'd honestly buy a book that's just Mr. & Mrs. Terrific, so I'm glad they're getting center stage.

Action Comics #1010 - I think this is going to go down in history as "that weird Bendis espionage period" for Superman, because what he's doing here is like ten times as memorable as whatever's going on in the main Superman book. And it's really good! I hope the main event lives up to the prelude!

Black Panther #11 - Alright, I'll admit, T'Challa finally getting his memories back is enough to keep me engaged here. There's just so much that could have been trimmed... we should have been here a while ago.

Amazing Spider-Man #20 - Now that the story is nearing the climax, I wish it had a bit more "pop." I feel like they haven't leveraged the premise as well as they could have... but I say that having been skipping all of the "X.1" issues so maybe I should have been picking those up. I'm mostly eager to see Kraven take the stage.

Runways #20 - Every time I'm impressed. I can ramble on and on about how great everything in this book is (like, wow, Genolet is actually filling Anka's shoes!) but the standout here is how well everyone is juggled. Like other than Nico being in the background a bit, and Victor/Gert being the focus, everyone's own character arc moved forward here. It's juggled so well. Also, wow, Victor really needs some counseling or something! The Avengers really dropped the ball with this troubled teen addict they exploited, let die, and then just kind of put in a box somewhere despite the fact he's a robot and minimal effort could probably have fixed him!

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Someone pls cryogenically freeze me till Wild Storm #23. I can't handle those last two pages from #22.

Also, I still fucking hate ad-filled single issues. That is all.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Dial H is really cool. I love the art shifts and the links to a bigger world (Gemworld!). I hope the final villain is the kid from the first one, that red-headed one.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like this and a restocking of her Captain Marvel ones are on for this Friday.

D49hExRWwAIUGNU.png:large

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with my comics backlog and cancelled my Crunchyroll subscription now that I finished Mob Psycho 100.

I guess I should go read a book now or something.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's just as stupid as the Speed Force.
Anybody else been keeping up with High Level, Goddess Mode, or any of the other Vertigo books?
I read the first issue of Goddess Mode and dug it so I bought the next two and haven't read them. I'm gonna reread the first and then read the next two.
Yeah, but few writers seem to have such a large dichotomy in quality between books that are being written at the same time
Bendis was writing Jessica Jones and Iron Man and Civil War 2 and Spider-Man all at the same time.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's just as stupid as the Speed Force.

I read the first issue of Goddess Mode and dug it so I bought the next two and haven't read them. I'm gonna reread the first and then read the next two.

Bendis was writing Jessica Jones and Iron Man and Civil War 2 and Spider-Man all at the same time.
IIRC Jessica Jones came after. Bendis was writing that trash Guardians run during CW2.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heroes in Crisis just makes me angry the more I think about it.

Are you depressed? Dealing with trauma? Mentally ill? Don't go get help for it because you are doomed to become a crazy murderer who kills a bunch of innocent people.

Fuck Tom King.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Are you depressed? Dealing with trauma? Mentally ill? Don't go get help for it because you are doomed to become a crazy murderer who kills a bunch of innocent people.

Fuck Tom King.
People shit on Hank Pym, but he done this shit often and better than anyone has
wca17_21.jpg

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck Tom King.
Fuck this, you know damn well that not the message of it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That's what ended up happening though.

We'll see what happens in the last issue, but #8 just perpetuated the idea that people suffering from mental illness are dangerous, which is the opposite of what the story was supposed to be doing.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
That's what ended up happening though.

We'll see what happens in the last issue, but #8 just perpetuated the idea that people suffering from mental illness are dangerous, which is the opposite of what the story was supposed to be doing.
Or this story of institutional failure of mental services have on those with mental illness

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Right that's why he has someone accidentally kill a whole bunch of people while trying to get help for their trauma. Like how he thinks the most beautiful and life affirming thing he can write about Superman and Lois Lane is her being graphically murdered over and over to show that Superman really worries that she'll be graphically murdered.

Or this story of institutional failure of mental services have on those with mental illness

He should have wrote that instead of this putrid trash instead.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Right that's why he has someone accidentally kill a whole bunch of people while trying to get help for their trauma. Like how he thinks the most beautiful and life affirming thing he can write about Superman and Lois Lane is her being graphically murdered over and over to show that Superman really worries that she'll be graphically murdered.

He should have wrote that instead of this putrid trash instead.
You know that those two things aren't even related so I don't even know why you would even reach like that. If you want to talk about those two issues separately we can, but conflating the two when they aren't related is trash.

And he did write that, it may not have been a successful but it was clear in its message.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know that those two things aren't even related so I don't even know why you would even reach like that. If you want to talk about those two issues separately we can, but conflating the two when they aren't related is trash.

I'm saying Tom King is a bad writer who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is who probably has really good intentions for writing a life affirming piece of comics and ended up shitting the bed really really hard.

This fucking issue is the story of how the killer wanted to get help and ended up killing a whole bunch of people instead and now he wants to kill himself.

So fuck Tom King. If he's not equipped to deal with these complex issues he should stick to Batman punching supervillains because he is 100% not talented or smart enough to write what he's trying to write.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

This is a trash ass message if so lol

Instead of slamming "mental health services" (which is largely doctors doing the best they can with what they have), maybe slam the garbage government and capitalist system that doesn't really give a fuck if the mentally ill suffer if there's no money to be made from helping them??? It's a thought.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Death of the author. The message as intended by King is practically irrelevant to how people will possibly interpret the book, especially without the context of his prior work or whatever he's said about HIC beforehand.
Fuck death of the author. People throw this out when they don't want to contend with the idea that they have to approach the material with authorial intent in mind. It matters far more than whatever BS pie int he sky shit you try wringing out of it with a cynical view. Too many personal factors go into readings that cite death of the author.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I need a new show to binge. Feel like ive seen everything interesting, and I hate waiting each week for only 1 episode for new shows.

Hope that Wheddon show The Nevers is similar to that Victorian Batman comic he was going to do.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to write a longer piece but it's really obvious that people, in this thread and elsewhere, don't actually pay attention to what Tom King is writing even if what he's writing is dumb. I can't take take criticism of his work seriously anymore because so many people are being either willingly disingenuous or just literally not paying attention to the things they're reading about and then complaining about online.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck death of the author.

Eh. It's honestly not even a debatable concept. People who don't know or care to follow anything King says publicly are going to read his work and potentially misinterpret it. That's just the risk you take putting your stuff out there. If it doesn't get its message across in isolation from any outside commentary or context than that's on you. /shrug

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to write a longer piece but it's really obvious that people, in this thread and elsewhere, don't actually pay attention to what Tom King is writing even if what he's writing is dumb. I can't take take criticism of his work seriously anymore because so many people are being either willingly disingenuous or just literally not paying attention to the things they're reading about and then complaining about online.
This hits it on the head. It's a wreck because of editorial. Toms message is alive under the weight of bad DiDio-isms out the ass.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck death of the author. People throw this out when they don't want to contend with the idea that they have to approach the material with authorial intent in mind. It matters far more than whatever BS pie int he sky shit you try wringing out of it with a cynical view. Too many personal factors go into readings that cite death of the author.
I agree with you 100%. I fucking despise death of the author with a burning passion.

It drives me nuts when someone has the most insane interpretation, which is obviously insane, and there's proof that they're wrong when the author confirms that it's a wrong interpretation and they still don't care because of death of the author.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It's honestly not even a debatable concept. People who don't know or care to follow anything King says publicly are going to read his work and potentially misinterpret it. That's just the risk you take putting your stuff out there. If it doesn't get its message across in isolation from any outside commentary or context than that's on you. /shrug
This discounts far too much of what goes into the sausage. I don't fuck with it or anyone that pulls out some horseshit thing that got big on TV Tropes and stuck in a niche cultural lexicon.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying Tom King is a bad writer who isn't nearly as smart as he thinks he is who probably has really good intentions for writing a life affirming piece of comics and ended up shitting the bed really really hard.

This fucking issue is the story of the killer wanted to get help and ended up killing a whole bunch of people instead and now he wants to kill himself.

So fuck Tom King. If he's not equipped to deal with these complex issues he should stick to Batman punching supervillains because he is 100% not talented or smart enough to write what he's trying to write.
Tom King has never presented himself as smarter than he is. All he has tried to do was write about his experiences and related them to superheroes. If you feel some type of way because of the way he writes or the concepts he tackles then that says more about you.

And this
This fucking issue is the story of the killer wanted to get help and ended up killing a whole bunch of people instead and now he wants to kill himself.

What you just explained was an indictment of Sanctuary and mental health services , which is the point of the whole series. Congrats, you've got it.

This is a trash ass message if so lol

Instead of slamming "mental health services" (which is largely doctors doing the best they can with what they have), maybe slam the garbage government and capitalist system that doesn't really give a fuck if the mentally ill suffer if there's no money to be made from helping them??? It's a thought.
Or we can talk about how the "mental health services" have been shaped by the "garbage government" and a "capitalist system" to where their work isn't really the patients. That what a large King's work is. The effects/cost that current systems in place have had on us and our way of living.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you think Brad Meltzer went into Identity Crisis intending to be as misogynistic as humanly possible with his treatment of Sue Dibny and Jean Loring? Or did he stumble into it on account of being unequipped to deal with real life issues he was unaware of due to not living them?

Fiction doesn't exist in a vacuum.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Brad Meltzer went into Identity Crisis intending to be as misogynistic as humanly possible with his treatment of Sue Dibny and Jean Loring? Or did he stumble into it on account of being unequipped to deal with real life issues he was unaware of due to not living them?

Fiction doesn't exist in a vacuum.
Neither does criticism and the discussion around it. His intent is there, but he botched the execution. The difference here is I personally find far more value in what King says than Metlzer's basic ass.

You can discuss and be upset at the problematic elements but to say that someones reading and author intent aren't worth consideration? That's pompous.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
People throw this out when they don't want to contend with the idea that they have to approach the material with authorial intent in mind. It matters far more than whatever BS pie int he sky shit you try wringing out of it with a cynical view

People don't have to approach anything with any view and are allowed to be as cynical as the want honestly. The author gets the same respect in choosing how've they write the material. The author has a right to their approach and the audience has a right to view, interpret, and judge it as they see fit. Those are the only hard and fast rules to any of this.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom King has never presented himself as smarter than he is. All he has tried to do was write about his experiences and related them to superheroes.

And this

What you just explained was an indictment of Sanctuary and mental health services , which is the point of the whole series. Congrats, you've got it.

"Mental health services" is not some nebulous entity, it's the thing keeping me alive right now as I grapple with extremely harmful thoughts, many of which have been implanted into me by ignorant jackasses insisting that my trauma and mental health makes me liable to hurt someone. It's the function in my government that lets me get medicine I need to live without being a useless husk of a person. If Tom King thinks there's something that needs addressing in that system then he should do a better job than writing a story where Wally West kills a whole bunch of people because he's traumatized by the loss of his family.

Neither does criticism nor the discussion around it.

Okay? So long as nobody is saying anything obviously insane (and "Heroes in Crisis is doing a poor job in its depiction of living with trauma" is not one of those) I don't see the problem.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Sue. I was reading some stuff on DCU made me realize that Ralph and Sue were ghost detectives after 52. That was a weird, but cool concept.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
This discounts far too much of what goes into the sausage. I don't fuck with it or anyone that pulls out some horseshit thing that got big on TV Tropes and stuck in a niche cultural lexicon.

Lots of people just read/watch stuff, man. Vast majority of people don't care how the sausage is made. That's why we tend to call those that do "enthusiasts".

You can discuss and be upset at the problematic elements but to say that someones reading and author intent aren't worth consideration? That's pompous.

And this isn't isn't what I said at all. People have the freedom to form an opinion while not caring about these things. That's fair. And if you want to, you can discount their take.

Status
Not open for further replies.