• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt even know the solicits were out lol.

I wonder what Apex Lex is going to be. Looks like hes going to have a cape. Probably going to end up getting powers like Superman or something from Perpetua.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Bendis works way ahead no?
He does. But I dunno it seems like trying to do too much at once. His work over at Marvel really started to drop when he was taking on more than 3 projects at a time imo.
It's not like Bendis writing is dense. Half of his books are characters repeating the same phrases in different combinations. He can crank that out in a day.
Well... yeah, but I want a new LoSH book to be good. I'd rather they keep sitting on the team for now until they can get a solid pitch together. And by that I mean wait for Hickman's new Marvel exclusive contract to expire

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys... White Knight is not good.

Even if you ignore any elements that are actively problematic, it just feels sloppy and shoddily put together. Like, it does the alt universe thing very poorly wherein it doesn't establish itself anywhere near strongly enough to stand fully on its own, yet it also needs to be at least somewhat different to work. Like, exactly how bad WAS Joker in this universe anyway? Because that kind of changes a lot. And speaking of which, there's Mary Sue-ing out the wazoo here, which makes the last point I mentioned extra awkward because we most certainly aren't actually treated to the sort of Joker the series kind of sort of maybe hinges on being a serious monster. Oh, and the "references" to animated series go way too far and are way too cheaply done, and feel more like ripping things out of there and saying "hey, remember this?" than a proper homage. Also, the two Harleys thing is duuuuuumb, as is the whole Clayface plot.

Oh, and of course, y'know, the writing being utterly lacking in even the slightest bit of nuance. That's kind of a problem, too.

Still a lot better than The Dark Knight Strikes Again, though, so... that's something?

Seriously though, this thing was successful and is popular outside of here? Like... how? Because it's just so... shoddily done, all around. Is it just the art?

(Also, I totally need a break from crap town, so time to go back to something or other actually good for tomorrow night, I think...)

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
It's Batman and an artist that's recognizable. That's how. People are simps.
Batman and The Joker plus the pseudo intellectual take of "no actually Batman is the real villain and Joker is the hero" to fool your casual Batfans into thinking this was some deep intellectual work. Oh and two Harleys, one "classic" and the other for the Hot Topic crowd. His writing might suck but SGM knows how to attract a crowd.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I fall asleep every time I read Claremont comics, but it's nice to finally see the origins of the New Mutants.

I may just skip to Zeb Wells run, though...

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
I forgot about how good Squirrel Girl was, two issues into the savage land arc and the jokes are flying thick and fast

The revelation that Latverians solve their problems by building Doombots and asking it for advice is great

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Done with Doom Patrol volume 2. Some interesting ideas, and great art and colouring but I think this is a jumping off point for me. I am not enjoying the actual writing at all. Every couple of pages I am pulled out of the book and it starts looking like a "penguin of d00m" copypasta. It felt like Way was finding his own voice towards the end of volume 1 but it fell apart again. The demonscape issue was fun though.

DCU has published a list of all the stuff they'll be adding next week. It's quite long

https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/watchtower/coming-next-week-to-dc-univ_1

They are adding a lot of great stuff.

Ooh, all of Hitman. Have to finish that some day.

They seem to be adding a lot of LOSH stuff. Maybe we'll get a definitive list to answer the 'what should I read in LOSH' question without having to track down random trades and single issues.

All of Simonson's Orion is up.

Kyle Baker Plastic Man!

Morrison's Seven Soldiers.

Most of Starman!

Last edited:

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Done with Doom Patrol volume 2. Some interesting ideas, and great art and colouring but I think this is a jumping off point for me. I am not enjoying the actual writing at all. Every couple of pages I am pulled out of the book and it starts looking like a "penguin of d00m" copypasta. It felt like Way was finding his own voice towards the end of volume 1 but it fell apart again. The demonscape issue was fun though.

They are adding a lot of great stuff.

Ooh, all of Hitman. Have to finish that some day.

They seem to be adding a lot of LOSH stuff. Maybe we'll get a definitive list to answer the 'what should I read in LOSH' question without having to track down random trades and single issues.

All of Simonson's Orion is up.

Kyle Baker Plastic Man!

Morrison's Seven Soldiers.

Most of Starman!

That'll complete Starman as they already have the first ~60 issues. Looks like it's also the full runs of Ostrander's Martian Manhunter and Spectre books as well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hickman posted some graphic of X-Men creators that looks like a fantasy draft for soccer. He's got Oliver Coipel on there, but has he done anything on X-Men besides that 3 issue story in Brian Wood's all female X-Men book?

EDIT: my bad, he did House of M lol.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I forgot about how good Squirrel Girl was, two issues into the savage land arc and the jokes are flying thick and fast

The revelation that Latverians solve their problems by building Doombots and asking it for advice is great

Squirrel Girl is the most underrated comic marvel prints.

tiJ32Md.png

It's a goldmine of comics meta humor

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Hickman posted some graphic of X-Men creators that looks like a fantasy draft for soccer. He's got Oliver Coipel on there, but has he done anything on X-Men besides that 3 issue story in Brian Wood's all female X-Men book?

EDIT: my bad, he did House of M lol.
He also did some issues of AvX

Squirrel Girl is the most underrated comic marvel prints.

tiJ32Md.png

It's a goldmine of comics meta humor
The damn Spider-mech is the chery on top

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Drake is getting a new alias in Young Justice #7, at least according to the solicits.

YOUNG JUSTICE #7
written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
art and cover by JOHN TIMMS
variant cover by RILEY ROSSMO
Young Justice—lost in the Multiverse! After the explosive conclusion to their Gemworld adventure, the team is having a tough time finding their way back to their Earth. No, we can't tell you where they end up, but rest assured, you will be surprised! But as exciting as all that is, we have bigger problems to deal with as Tim Drake is about to do something he has only done…lots of times before. He is about to announce his new alias…a new superhero name. A Young Justice name. And this time, it's permanent. Like, forever.
ON SALE 07.03.19
$3.99 US | 32 PAGES
FC | RATED T+

"And this time, it's permanent. Like, forever."

LOL. I've been asking for this for awhile. Red Robin was fine, but it just didnt feel different/unique enough.

------------------------------------------

Also, sounds like Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw are working on a creater owned book next. I was wondering if he was going to be rotating on Guardians, but if they have already started working on this then he probably wont be back for a bit. He is one of Marvel's best up and coming artists imo.

Gamora looks like a boss in the preview for GotG #4. She looks like Big Boss or Cable now lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

So that's not the next issue cover but the compendium cover. The second and final compendium is clearly going to be Hazel doing the peace sign copying this cover. I guess. Fits the story.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone have any thoughts on The Infinity War by Starlin? was checking out the omnibus, can't decide if I want to buy it and looking up anything about it is really hard now that all google results err to the Infinity War movie, even with Starlin it pulls his interviews about the movie

O0hqmTs.png

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My general rule with Omnis is will I read it more than once. Unless its something super special I just want to own, I try to only buy the ones I know I will read multiple times. Otherwise, I just go digitally.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
anyone have any thoughts on The Infinity War by Starlin? was checking out the omnibus, can't decide if I want to buy it and looking up anything about it is really hard now that all google results err to the Infinity War movie, even with Starlin it pulls his interviews about the movie

What do you want to know about it? It's a mediocre sequel to the Infinity Gauntlet. It's centred around Warlock and the Magus.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
basically whether or not it's worth reading

Probably not. Definitely wouldn't buy the omnibus for it.

Starlin's best works are his Captain Marvel run, Warlock run, Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet. But even after reading those, you'll notice that he reuses the same ideas alot, e.g. Thanos becomes a God, gets wrecked, dies and comes back again so many times in Starlin's work.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

O0hqmTs.png

I only read it once, don,t remember much of it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman and The Joker plus the pseudo intellectual take of "no actually Batman is the real villain and Joker is the hero" to fool your casual Batfans into thinking this was some deep intellectual work. Oh and two Harleys, one "classic" and the other for the Hot Topic crowd. His writing might suck but SGM knows how to attract a crowd.

Pretty much. It's the Batman equivalent of Injustice Superman, the popular "Superman is actually secretly a fearsome god tyrant" take.

It's babby's first Batman comic, only there to fool a casual fan audience into thinking they're getting something deep.

Seriously though, two games and now White Knight; DC sure does love letting people completely shit on their most beloved IPs.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
DC Universe service is just an embarrassment of riches. I'm overwhelmed by content.

It's really been an amazing turnaround. I've been using comicbookherald to line up some big swaths of history to read, waiting for this week for (hopefully) a few important holes to get filled in.

I know some people are annoyed that they won't be carrying other DC imprints, but Marvel doesn't do that either. Still a great value now.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's really been an amazing turnaround. I've been using comicbookherald to line up some big swaths of history to read, waiting for this week for (hopefully) a few important holes to get filled in.

I know some people are annoyed that they won't be carrying other DC imprints, but Marvel doesn't do that either. Still a great value now.
I think for the fact that you can watch movies and tv shows on there too is a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.