• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, something took the crown from Hush?

Hush is a great starter point for a total comics newcomer, actually. It's a bunch of rehashed iconic moments in Batman history but a newbie won't know enough to see that as a problem.

White Knight is for people who already hate Batman and want something to appeal to them, and like with Injustice, a game/comic series about how much Superman is a fucking asshole, DC is happy to provide.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hush was mine and I thought it was actually good fun! (I think it was my first big Batman run).
Hush is a great starter point for a total comics newcomer, actually. It's a bunch of rehashed iconic moments in Batman history but a newbie won't know enough to see that as a problem.

White Knight is for people who already hate Batman and want something to appeal to them, and like with Injustice, a game/comic series about how much Superman is a fucking asshole, DC is happy to provide.

Yeah, honestly Hush is more of a greatest hits album than anything. Personally I'm not a fan of it and never really have been, but it's an easy story to point people to if they want something with all the big villains in it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Hush is a good starter comic where you see all the big heroes and villians. I don't get the hate.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
As a Batman newbie, I read Hush just recently and the only thing I didn't like about it was

the character who I had never heard of before who seemed to obviously be the villain. Killing him off early was a good way to divert attention, but in the back of my mind I still thought, "well, this a comic book, so is he really dead?

For a story that has a lot of Batman characters but doesn't rely on a stunt villain, Long Halloween probably did it one better. And even at the end you're not 100% sure who killed who.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a Batman newbie, I read Hush just recently and the only thing I didn't like about it was

the character who I had never heard of before who seemed to obviously be the villain. Killing him off early was a good way to divert attention, but in the back of my mind I still though, "well, this a comic book, so is he really dead?

For a story that has a lot of Batman characters but doesn't rely on a stunt villain, Long Halloween probably did it one better. And even at the end you're not 100% sure who killed who.

I really like the Long Halloween. To me Hush always felt like the only reason it existed was to have Jim Lee draw all the major Bat characters and Supes

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I read Hush once, I don't remember anything from it but it did give me the dislike for other superheroes showing up in Batman comics.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It bums me out that not enough people bring up Dark Victory which I think is almost as good as The Long Halloween.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
That banana advertising thread in OT forum reminded me that this happened.

FLk8jB4.png

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam! was definitely the most wholesome superhero flick in the modern era, real shame it also looks like it's going to gross the least, excluding Hellboy of course lol

Considering how oddly crafted the DCEU is, they absolutely nailed the "lives in a universe where heroes are commonplace" feeling. It did a significantly better job than the MCU's similar attempt with Homecoming.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
There we go, all's right now. Followed up the crappy Batmen of the last few dark nights with Snagglepuss. Needless to say, yeah, that was a lot better. (And was really, really nicely done. Only real issue I'd have is that it kinda seemed to follow the trend of erasing the drag community out of Stonewall in retellings, far as I noticed, which is kind of lame. Not the story it was explictly telling of course, but could've been nice to throw in a background character or two at least. (Well, at least I don't believe there were any, but I didn't look over it super closely, actually... So consider this a light and possibly incorrect criticism at a great book, haha!))

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been out of the loop for a few weeks now, but did I just read there is a new Saga Omnibus coming with the full 54 issues(so far) collected?

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god, Knightmares is finally over. I can't even say it's the low point of the run, but I'm getting tired of the pacing.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Having reread Morrison's Animalman run, it still holds up with lots of great moments. I do feel bad about Time Commander though.

The ending of Hush is bloody awful.

Of Loeb's Batman:
Dark Victory > Long Halloween >>> Hush
Hush was good in streets of gotham from what i remember, but before that....i just didnt care for the character.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to read the set of issues that introduced Jason Todd last night and got the unexpected bonus of the killer croc origin. Croc was surprisingly complex and his arc here was pretty cool.

Jason Todd's intro on the other hand is amazingly brutal on the one hand, but also shockingly lazy. Of all the ways to introduce a new Robin, they just...duplicate the first Robin.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to read the set of issues that introduced Jason Todd last night and got the unexpected bonus of the killer croc origin. Croc was surprisingly complex and his arc here was pretty cool.

Jason Todd's intro on the other hand is amazingly brutal on the one hand, but also shockingly lazy. Of all the ways to introduce a new Robin, they just...duplicate the first Robin.
Are you just going through and reading important stuff from Batman's history? When I first came back to reading comics, I read Hush and then Under the Red Hood. Morrison's Batman had just started iirc, so I picked it up in the mean time. Its not going to win any awards or anything, but I still thought it was a fun read. Not sure how it reads now that the surprise is gone.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Are you just going through and reading important stuff from Batman's history? When I first came back to reading comics, I read Hush and then Under the Red Hood. Morrison's Batman had just started iirc, so I picked it up in the mean time. Its not going to win any awards or anything, but I still thought it was a fun read. Not sure how it reads now that the surprise is gone.

Well, big events in DC history, not specifically Batman. I'm following the major crossover events and then looking at reading orders, which often suggest reading additional stories as background.

So for example I was going to read Knightfall, but the reading order suggested getting background on Tim Drake, which sort of led me to get background on Jason Todd first.

Status
Not open for further replies.