• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Izuku Midoriya

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Katsuki Bakugo

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Shoto Todoroki

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Batman
is in captivity and is in a device that gives him these Nightmares. And every nightmare has a theme with the last one again being Batman can't be happy bla bla . So basically just stretching the whole story.
Exactly as I expected, goddamnit. Here's hoping the Bane(?) arc will be better. Thanks anyways

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The image quality of the comics on DC Universe seems like it might actually be worse than Marvel Unlimited. Will definitely have to be selective of what I read on that vs. what I just shell out money on during a sale.

Also I now understand the pain of moving physical comics since I'm moving in about 10 days.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The image quality of the comics on DC Universe seems like it might actually be worse than Marvel Unlimited. Will definitely have to be selective of what I read on that vs. what I just shell out money on during a sale.

Also I now understand the pain of moving physical comics since I'm moving in about 10 days.

If you're on the app there's a HD/SD toggle for comic quality. I had to manually select HD the first time but then it saved it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Finishing up all of Hopeless' Cloak and Dagger right now. Read it kinda haphazardly. Like, not totally in order so I'm gonna need to reread the whole batch, but for now I just got whatever's left of Negative Exposure.

I'm not a huge Cloak and Dagger expert, but this is definitely an enjoyable book. For the most part. Wasn't expecting all of the relationship drama to be so negative.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
So...

Hellboy...

yeah.

aHcz9XZ.gif

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
The script makes Suicide Squad feel competent.

$5.75 I'll never get back. And I had to watch it alone because all my friends seem to have predicted this outcome...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's manga, but at Barnes and Noble there's a deal for Viz manga: Buy 2, get 1 Free

Got the first 3 Viz bigs of DBZ for $40. So now I own the first three Viz bigs and the final one (got it as a present).

So now I need 4-8

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! It's cool that they have that feature but dumb that there's no indication that it exists. Now I can actually be excited when they add all the new stuff soon.

No problem, it definitely threw me for a loop the first time I went to read something. On Android at least, the toggle is on the top navigation pane on the right side if you tap on the screen when reading a comic:

zpS7pUG.jpg

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's manga, but at Barnes and Noble there's a deal for Viz manga: Buy 2, get 1 Free

Got the first 3 Viz bigs of DBZ for $40. So now I own the first three Viz bigs and the final one (got it as a present).

So now I need 4-8

My Hero Academia
The Promised Neverland
Goodnight Punpun
Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction
Demon Slayer : Kimetsu no Yaiba
One Punch Man
Golden Kamuy
Kaguya Sama: love is war

These are the Viz titles I read currently. I'll vouch for all of them.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Finishing up all of Hopeless' Cloak and Dagger right now. Read it kinda haphazardly. Like, not totally in order so I'm gonna need to reread the whole batch, but for now I just got whatever's left of Negative Exposure.

I'm not a huge Cloak and Dagger expert, but this is definitely an enjoyable book. For the most part. Wasn't expecting all of the relationship drama to be so negative.
There are two things I expect from Cloak and Dagger.

Those two together

And Angst.

Hopeless didn't deliver enough on either of those things.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I need the deetaiillls

Super big spoilers - includes lots of comic spoilers also I am guessing. Having slept on it, I need to get this out of my system. I don't even know how much worse it must have been for someone watching it with no Hellboy background.

Where do I even begin. It felt more like a Hellboy parody starring Jack Black.

In 120 mins, they squeezed in everything they could think of. The movie just jumps around quite a bit.
- Opens with a random Lucha Libre fight.
- Hellboys origin story (Rasputin has like 5 secs of screen time before he gets scarred and killed by Lobster's claw.)
- Alice's origin story/Gruagach's origin story
- Daimio's origin story - narrated and visualised while he is flying a chopper. (Similar to the the Katana scene in SS...).
- Nimue's origin story.
- All of Wild Hunt/giant slaying/Gruagach collecting up Nimue's parts/invasion from hell/Merlin-Arthur backdrop/invasion of demons.
- Lobster Johnson who is propped up as this star everyone is in awe of. With no build up whatsoever.
- Visit and fight with Baba Yaga. (Which was admittedly decently done. The house and her were very creepy).
- A pointless action scene to discover Abe Sapien as the ending scene

Some highlights-
- Bruttenholm is still alive for some reason and a constant thread is Hellboy behaving like a spoilt teenager. I was expecting him to mumble "you're not my real dad" and he even says something close to that.
- Hellboy asks Bruttenholm why he was made into a weapon to kill his brothers and sisters... and then every non-human in the movie was shown as blood-thirsty baby eating (literally) monster.
- Bruttenholm asks Hellboy to "grow a pair".
- There's a parallel plot of Daimio planning to kill Hellboy and creating some special bullets with holy water.
- The "jokes" are all painfully unfunny. e.g. - Gruagach gives a dismembered Nimue (who is sitting on a couch watching tv) a box of Jaffa cakes.
- Daimio turns into a Jaguar to fight alongside Hellboy. After one scene, Alice says "I like cats". Daimio says "I am more of a dog person".
- Nimue asks Hellboy to be his king. He says it wouldn't work out because "he is Capricorn and she is nuts".
- Hellboy kicks away Nimue's dismembered head and says "You should have quit while you were a head."
- 'fuck' and its various forms are used more in the movie than in a Tarantino flick. For no fucking reason.
- The sound track and sound editing was terrible. I actually think a couple of songs were cut off mid lyric sentence to jump to the next scene.
- Lots of lip sync problems for some reason? At times it felt like I was watching a dubbed 1970s HK action movie.
- Alice's and Daimio's accents were physically painful to listen to. As was everyone elses.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I am so done with school this semester. Woke up at 7:30am for class, get there and the teacher says he forgot his notes so see ya Wednesday for the exam lol. Go see my advisor to find 1 more class for next semester and get a shitty attitude.

Also it's snowing again. It was 70+ degrees all week, and now it's freaking snowing!

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super big spoilers - includes lots of comic spoilers also I am guessing. Having slept on it, I need to get this out of my system. I don't even know how much worse it must have been for someone watching it with no Hellboy background.

In 120 mins, they squeezed in everything they could think of. The movie just jumps around quite a bit.
- Hellboys origin story (Rasputin has like 5 secs of screen time before he gets scarred and killed by Lobster's claw.)
- Daimio's origin story - narrated and visualised while he is flying a chopper. (Similar to the the Katana scene in SS...).
- Nimue's origin story.
- All of Wild Hunt/giant slaying/Gruagach collecting up Nimue's parts/invasion from hell/Merlin-Arthur backdrop/invasion of demons.
- Lobster Johnson who is propped up as this star everyone is in awe of. With no build up whatsoever.
- Visit and fight with Baba Yaga. (Which was admittedly decently done. The house and her were very creepy).

Some highlights-
- Bruttenholm is still alive for some reason and a constant thread is Hellboy behaving like a spoilt teenager. I was expecting him to mumble "you're not my real dad" and he even says something close to that.
- Hellboy asks Bruttenholm why he was made into a weapon to kill his brothers and sisters... and then every non-human in the movie was shown as blood-thirsty baby eating (literally) monster.
- There's a parallel plot of Daimio planning to kill Hellboy and creating some special bullets with holy water.
- The "jokes" are all painfully unfunny. e.g. - Gruagach gives a dismembered Nimue (who is sitting on a couch watching tv) a box of Jaffa cakes.
- Daimio turns into a Jaguar to fight alongside Hellboy. After one scene, Alice says "I like cats". Daimio says "I am more of a dog person".
- Nimue asks Hellboy to be his king. He says it wouldn't work out because "he is Capricorn and she is nuts".
- Hellboy kicks away Nimue's dismembered head and says "You should have quit while you were a head."
- 'fuck' and its various forms are used more in the movie than in a Tarantino flick. For no fucking reason.
- The sound track and sound editing was terrible. I actually think a couple of songs were cut off mid lyric sentence to jump to the next scene.
- Lots of lip sync problems for some reason? At times it felt like I was watching a dubbed 1970s HK action movie.
- Alice's and Daimio's accents were physically painful to listen to. As was everyone elses.

Skipping this was a wise decision

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

- Nimue's origin story.

Some highlights-
NGL I actually laughed at the head pun

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, just remembered the opening line of the movie. No need to spoiler this.

"It was called the Dark Ages for a fucking good reason"

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
No idea why they wanted to make that movie so full mouthed. The comic is PG-13 at most with it's language.

Oct 25, 2017
I realize their lighter fare like Aquaman and Shazam have done much better in the public consciousness than BvS/Justice League, but I do kinda wish DC was running with the (supposedly) darker Ezra Miller/Grant Morrison screenplay for the Flash movie than the lighter take it's supposed to be.

Marvel already has the lighter "popcorn movies" market cornered and look at those. With a few exceptions almost all of the MCU movies have the same kinda feel and don't really take risks or anything. I'd much rather have a Marvel movie try to do something different and flop rather than the same almost milquetoast takes (besides like Black Panther and Ragnarok) we keep getting. They're enjoyable for what they are, and I like watching them, but I'd like to see them swap it up.

Eternals could be that movie if it's anything like Neil Gaiman's mini (the only Eternals thing I've read).

Status
Not open for further replies.