• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is the next X-Men writer?

• Kelly Thompson

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Jonathan Hickman

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Donny Cates

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Brian Michael Bendis

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Al Ewing

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Every day is a mystery as to whether Messi will be hot or cold on Cho.

Not really. I think this cover is disgraceful. As are most of his private commissions. He's like a different person on pro work. His Harley and Wonder Woman covers are all very well done without a hint of this.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Sunday list? Sunday list.

Action Comics #1002
Detective Comics #987
Flash #53
Justice League Dark #2
Mother Panic Gotham AD #6
Suicide Squad Annual #1
Teen Titans #21
Wonder Woman #53

Amazing Spider-Man #4
Avengers #6
Black Panther #3
Daredevil #607
Mystery in Madripoor #4
Life of Captain Marvel #2
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #34
Mr & Mrs X #2
Old Man Hawkeye #8
Old Man Logan #46
Punisher #1 (one last shot for him)
Sentry #3
Venom #5
West Coast Avengers #1
X-Men Gold #34
X-Men Red #7

Aphrodite V #2
Curse Words Summer Special #1
Hit Girl #7
Shanghai Red #3
Witchblade #7

Beasts of Burden #1

latest

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I think this cover is disgraceful. As are most of his private commissions. He's like a different person on pro work. His Harley and Wonder Woman covers are all very well done without a hint of this.

Well of course. Major publishers will go out of their way to avoid anything offensive. But you can't fault the guy for drawing whatever for private commissions. He's gotta eat too.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Frank had the War Machine armor, huh? Let me guess: He used it to start doling out punishment to our enemies abroad.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Well of course. Major publishers will go out of their way to avoid anything offensive. But you can't fault the guy for drawing whatever for private commissions. He's gotta eat too.

Sure, he can draw what he likes and people are free to think he's a piece of shit for doing it. He's actively courting a certain type of comic fan... One that is no use in today's market.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
You know who I'm happy for Tess Fowler. She's doing cool stuff post Rat Queens bullshit and her art improved loads.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it is super 90's, but I really do love it. Especially the art (pre-Ramos jumping on). It's so dynamic and fluid and bright and fun. It's nice to read a book that's just fun.

I wanna say it was Tom Grummet on the early issues? That dude's art is 90's DC for me, since he did that and Robin for a bit. Superboy only lasted 100 issues and most of its good until...maybe the last ten issues? When they're transitioning him to Teen Titans Superboy.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I wanna say it was Tom Grummet on the early issues? That dude's art is 90's DC for me, since he did that and Robin for a bit. Superboy only lasted 100 issues and most of its good until...maybe the last ten issues? When they're transitioning him to Teen Titans Superboy.
"Only" :P

I have a challenge for people who've read more Aquaman than me: Name as many villain on this piece as you can. I have trouble with the ones in the back
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMzQvMzg4L29yaWdpbmFsL0FRTV9DdjQyLmpwZw==

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I have a challenge for people who've read more Aquaman than me: Name as many villain on this piece as you can. I have trouble with the ones in the back
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMzQvMzg4L29yaWdpbmFsL0FRTV9DdjQyLmpwZw==

The only relevant villains in the back are Nereus, King of Mera's people, the girl is the Dark AquaBat from Metal, and the dude is the king from Geoff Johns' run.

Also, I guess "only" is a misnomer. 100 issues is a long time. Impulse didn't last that long and Nightwing fell off a cliff way before 100.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's fun art. I rarely ever enjoy 90's art as much as I do his.

Orm
Black Manta
Trench
Drowned
King of Mera's crew
The old king of Atlantis

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
BOOM's panel at Power Morphicon is ongoing or just finished. Not much we didn't know. Some looks at Deathryuger's PR counterpart and another Original Generation character (I think):

And some mad stuff altogether happening in Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School;

I hope that's not another alternate universe thing. Let us have a "The Rangers have weird daydreams" arc and have this be Trini's one.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: roughly subtracting covers and other additions to the collections, the Clone Saga is around 4800 pages long.

Oct 25, 2017
I just stopped by my local Barnes and Noble's comic book section.

Apparently, Swamp Thing collections are a bust, but now I know where to go if I need a hardcover Homestuck collection.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the story was like the O5. It was selling so despite the exit strategy things just kept going.

It was apparently pitched to only last 6 months and then Ben would take over as the "real" Spider-Man. But then editorial did their dumb thing and by the time Ben became the "real" Spider-Man everyone was angry and it only lasted a year. Crazy to think how different things could've gone.

Honestly in terms of crazy retcon ideas it allowing Peter to retire with MJ and start a family isn't really that bad.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It was apparently pitched to only last 6 months and then Ben would take over as the "real" Spider-Man. But then editorial did their dumb thing and by the time Ben became the "real" Spider-Man everyone was angry and it only lasted a year. Crazy to think how different things could've gone.

Honestly in terms of crazy retcon ideas it allowing Peter to retire with MJ and start a family isn't really that bad.

I don't know why people think attempting to invalidate long-term fans' memories will ever end well, tbh. You wanna replace Pete, let him ride off into the sunset some kinda way, and introduce Mayday Parker. You don't tell fans "The guy you've been reading for twenty years? Not even the real Spider-Man."

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

Marvel put out a mini about a decade ago that followed the original plan for the Clone Saga.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people think attempting to invalidate long-term fans' memories will ever end well, tbh. You wanna replace Pete, let him ride off into the sunset some kinda way, and introduce Mayday Parker. You don't tell fans "The guy you've been reading for twenty years? Not even the real Spider-Man."

It's still terrible but I'll give them a little credit for giving "fake" Peter a happy ending. Didn't Iron Man get a 90s retcon that he was secretly evil or something? But Marvel needs to keep Peter young and relatable* forever so we'll probably continue to get dumb attempted retcons in the future.

*self-insertable

Marvel put out a mini about a decade ago that followed the original plan for the Clone Saga.

I'll have to check it out (yes I'm probably going to check out the Clone Saga soon).

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's still terrible but I'll give them a little credit for giving "fake" Peter a happy ending. Didn't Iron Man get a 90s retcon that he was secretly evil or something? But Marvel needs to keep Peter young and relatable* forever so we'll probably continue to get dumb attempted retcons in the future.

Yeah, that's one of the things I was referencing when I said they have a bad habit of invalidating long term fans memories. The Crossing revealed Kang had been controlling Tony Stark for...well, I don't think they ever said quite how long.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

The guys with Katana shoulder pads are the AquaMarines (I think) US soldiers with powers, from Rebirth
Batman: the Drowned
Old King of Atlantis
Black Manta
Purple monster is
Corum Rath
Orm/Ocean Master
Dead Water (red monster)

Don't know the guys on the upper right or lower left

Edit: oh right the red haired dude is the King of Xebel, I didn't recognize him

Edit2: upper right guys are also AquaMarines

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
BOOM's panel at Power Morphicon is ongoing or just finished. Not much we didn't know. Some looks at Deathryuger's PR counterpart and another Original Generation character (I think):

And some mad stuff altogether happening in Go Go Power Rangers: Back to School;

I hope that's not another alternate universe thing. Let us have a "The Rangers have weird daydreams" arc and have this be Trini's one.

Solar Ranger is Quorra confirmed?

*self-insertable

I'll have to check it out (yes I'm probably going to check out the Clone Saga soon)
To be fair, that's pretty much what being relatable means.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Saw some collection posts, let's get it fellas:
My bookcases atm:
I have a bunch of other books lying around, so I may need to do some kind of purge soon or get more shelves. I've put a large hold on buying physical books recently due to lack of space in my room.

Got a few comic things hanging up, so here's what I have up on one of my walls right now:

And some commissions and a print I need to hang up:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Solar Ranger is Quorra confirmed?

To be fair, that's pretty much what being relatable means.

There are two different kinds of self-insertable imo, the "I could be in this situation" type and the "I can live out my fantasy through this" type like a Persona protagonist. Marvel tries to pretend Peter is type A (and for the most part he's been that way historically), but in reality he's become type B. Marriage? Not fantasizable enough. Cute Asian girl that as an irresistible desire to screw you when she's in your presence? Sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.