• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the next X-Men writer?

• Kelly Thompson

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Jonathan Hickman

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Donny Cates

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Brian Michael Bendis

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Al Ewing

Votes: 16 20.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Saw some collection posts, let's get it fellas:
My bookcases atm:

I have a bunch of other books lying around, so I may need to do some kind of purge soon or get more shelves. I've put a large hold on buying physical books recently due to lack of space in my room.

Got a few comic things hanging up, so here's what I have up on one of my walls right now:

And some commissions and a print I need to hang up:

1 volume of Queen & Country

7 volumes of Prison School

-_-

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
damn we're doing collections? check this shit out
gT7bGWg.jpg
physical comics, baby

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There are two different kinds of self-insertable imo, the "I could be in this situation" type and the "I can live out my fantasy through this" type like a Persona protagonist. Marvel tries to pretend Peter is type A (and for the most part he's been that way historically), but in reality he's become type B. Marriage? Not fantasizable enough. Cute Asian girl that as an irresistible desire to screw you when she's in your presence? Sounds great!
I would say that Slott basically gave Peter everything he could possibly want from Big Time to Legacy, but he's been scaled back down.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
damn we're doing collections? check this shit out

physical comics, baby

This is unironically my favourite. These actually look like they have been read.

Mine is even more all over the place than usual because I rearranged all my furniture awhile back (I moved my desk into my living space, because fuck, it's not like there's many visitors these days) but never quite finished it. I want to swap my book and comic shelves but I'd have to take everything down, swap them, and then refill them and it's too much for me at the moment.

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
This is unironically my favourite. These actually look like they have been read.

Mine is even more all over the place than usual because I rearranged all my furniture awhile back (I moved my desk into my living space, because fuck, it's not like there's many visitors these days) but never quite finished it. I want to swap my book and comic shelves but I'd have to take everything down, swap them, and then refill them and it's too much for me at the moment.
ahaha, it's partially true - ones on the floor are either unread or being worked on. if it's boxed it's read

I think I need another box though...

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

I see what he did here. That 3rd image of Harleen and Joker is new. New book is Harleen. Follow the money. He's done this in randoms before with Aquaman and JL Odyssey.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. What else would he have wanted to pitch? Is it going to be Black Label or mainline?

Almost certainly Black Label. There's no way DC would allow that book to affect current continuity Harley. Nor should it tbh. Sejic can go crazy if it's black label. He also said if the project is successful he will pitch Isley. Second pic here is the cover. Which matches the Harleen cover.

Also that first pic with Ivy and Swampy is new. It's also heartbreaking. I wouldn't put it past him to be doing concept stuff for Isley like the Harleen warm ups got him that book.

So it's Harleen :D

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at issue 85 of Invincible and I'm pretty sure my enjoyment level is something around 70% due to Ottley and 30% Kirkman. Kirkman's scripting is enjoyable but Ottley is what sells the immense scale of the stuff that's happening on each page.

I would say that Slott basically gave Peter everything he could possibly want from Big Time to Legacy, but he's been scaled back down.

Yeah I mean that kind of Peter Parker is almost dead and buried for the foreseeable future, just waiting on Spencer to deal with the legal battle with Sayjani and it'll be gone for good. Betting that's how Spencer somehow finds a way to kill off the idea of Peter Parker being a recognizable figure in the public. I'm just saying it's stupid for Marvel to claim they want Peter to be relatable when they really just mean he's doing something a teenage boy/young man would find cool.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
They still haven't revealed if Frank was willing to work with HYDRA or legit worked with them.

Also, top 5 forgetten young Marvel heroes

5. Reptil
4. Butterball
3. Gravity
2. Ultra Girl
1. Gorilla Girl

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They still haven't revealed if Frank was willing to work with HYDRA or legit worked with them.

I feel pretty good betting against Frank.

Speaking of Secret Empire, can anyone explain the ending of Captain America #2? Cap seems to reference how he came back or whatever. It involved making a deal or something?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I have two volumes of Queen & Country volume 2 since I bought Whiteout Volume 2 from Ebay but the guy sent me Queen & Country by accident.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I feel pretty good betting against Frank.

Speaking of Secret Empire, can anyone explain the ending of Captain America #2? Cap seems to reference how he came back or whatever. It involved making a deal or something?
He's referring to Avengers Standoff. Old man Steve was getting beat to death by Crossbones, which reminded him of how bullies beat him down before he became Cap, and Kobik(who is essentially a cosmic cube) offered to to give him strength and make him a hero again. She also turns him into a Hydra agent in the process, which is what leads to Secret Empire. Steve in Coates's run is lamenting the fact that Secret Empire was caused by his need to no longer feel weak and accepting Kobik's offer.

I'm rushing this so I may have mixed something up.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Also, top 5 forgetten young Marvel heroes

5. Reptil
4. Butterball
3. Gravity
2. Ultra Girl
1. Gorilla Girl
Don't why comics bother creating new characters they always forgotten
Shit, I forgot the New Warriors and I just read it last week.

And she didn't even get on the team after she was promised a spot. Just to get replaced by a Canadian.

5886941-red+locust.jpg
Goddamn Canadian stealing yer jerbs

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly Black Label. There's no way DC would allow that book to affect current continuity Harley. Nor should it tbh. Sejic can go crazy if it's black label. He also said if the project is successful he will pitch Isley. Second pic here is the cover. Which matches the Harleen cover.

Also that first pic with Ivy and Swampy is new. It's also heartbreaking. I wouldn't put it past him to be doing concept stuff for Isley like the Harleen warm ups got him that book.

So it's Harleen :D

Lore posted that pic an awhile ago actually.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Was there a push for the New 52 to be more "mature"? It feels like a lot of the books have more darkness than some stuff I've read pre or post the initial New 52 stuff. Superboy, Batgirl, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Aquaman. Hell even GL focused heavily on Sinestro and Justice League and Earth 2 both started with wholesale slaughterfest apocalypses. Batman. Batwoman. Justice League Dark. Red Lanterns.

Sure you get the occasional Flash or Supergirl, but that seems kinda rare in that time.
I was gonna write my own top five but I've forgotten them already
Bruh

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel really is bad at making kid heroes or more less a thing that is not based on another hero.

This may be an urban legend, but I remember hearing Allan Heinberg had a clause with Marvel that nobody was allowed to kill any of the Young Avengers for a certain time period. So they became a thing in the present mainly because they couldn't be shipped to Murderworld or whatever.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
ms-marvel-new-display.jpg

giphy.gif

And she was America Chavez before Chavez so both of those traits are now gone.
So foreigners are stealing white people jobs

Seriously it helps she was never that popular as far as I can tell like Chavez became popular before marvel squandered and Ms marvel is one of the only new young hero I have hope that won't fade to obscurity well until maybe G willow stop writing her

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because if they're based on another heroes writers are kinda forced to remember them
That is both pathetic and unsurprising to say at least.
This may be an urban legend, but I remember hearing Allan Heinberg had a clause with Marvel that nobody was allowed to kill any of the Young Avengers for a certain time period. So they became a thing in the present mainly because they couldn't be shipped to Murderworld or whatever.
They aren't a thing anymore, they pretty much got replaced by the Champions now.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.