• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They would be dumb not to. Im pretty sure the upcoming HC will have them in reading order, otherwise they would have solicited two. But they will do tpbs that are separate.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cosmic brain is marvel making two separate TPBs and then making you buy both, full price, as you flip back and forth between HoX/PoX

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Powers of X #2 was certainly a comic book

I can't wait for the ongoings to get going, I need Hickman to give me more Cyclops. loved the early bits with Charles Moira and Mags and then Charles Mags and Cyclops. he seems to really understand the three of them

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I missed a chance to dunk on Heroes in Crisis some more.

Probably for the best tbh

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
For the Y1k stuff, we're just being shown the ultimate state of the machines. It don't think it really means anything yet. What the Y100 guys do with what they've gained will probably pay off in whatever's happening at the end of time, but right now that part's just matter of fact:
The big machine gods have come to judge whether to take future kid Xavier's planet/society into themselves, or mark it for destruction.

It's already clear that the individual HoX n PoX trades aren't gonna be able to be read alone, or at least PoX won't be.
Okay, looking back your spoiler makes a lot more sense now. And yeah, anyone planning on reading either title alone is in no way going to have a satisfying or sensible experience. Even more than his NA/Avengers runs.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Damn Dr Strange #17 is such a gutpunch
Hold me, Rob1n.

NQjgc89.gif

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I am so glad they undid the deaths of Miles' family with Secret Wars, it was damn near necessary

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
i think a good argument could be made for

Mephisto

being Marvel's greatest villain. He's so hateable and he knows the exact right way to be it.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
PoX 2 was mostly setup but I'm fucking READY for whatever comes next. Good shit.

Batman Universe is the most I've enjoyed Batman in a long, long time. I'm ready for Bendis on Batman.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess it'll all be connected in the end, but PoX just reads like a giant info dump. I don't really have any investment in anything going on. I literally said "oh fuck off" out loud when I saw that the last few pages were just definitions of shit being described.

HoX #1 was fresh and exciting, everything else has been okay tbh

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess it'll all be connected in the end, but PoX just reads like a giant info dump. I don't really have any investment in anything going on. I literally said "oh fuck off" out loud when I saw that the last few pages were just definitions of shit being described.

HoX #1 was fresh and exciting, everything else has been okay tbh

I'm with hipsterpants in thought, but in a completely different place emotionally. PoX #2 definitely the middle child of the series so far. But that's okay. It's great even. We all know that HoX is --the story--. It's all but inevitable that the events in PoX are going to be erased/dismantled/reconned). It's a device. That's just how stories in the future work in comics. So what PoX is doing is basically telling a series of smaller stories building up to ONE BIG THING (and some smaller twisty things). This one big thing will be the catalyst driving HoX into its endgame, while the PoX-side of the story goes poof. Which means that PoX #2 is basically 15-30 minutes into an Ocean's 11 movie where Hickman's George Clooney and his crew are all the smaller timeline stories. It's tension. It's intrigue. It's all building up to a heist -- only in this case, we don't know what the heist is.

HoX #1 is still my favorite issue so far, of course. That was a fuckin' comic that I wouldn't mind reading for 5 years. It's still crazy to me that we got that first issue of HoX and then Hickman was like, "Motherfucker that was just the prologue." Also, I love charts.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, this frustrates me. Because I feel like you're assuming people with issues on this reading of Kamille are unable to grasp that as a reason for him being the way he is. This doesn't work, though, when the show time and time again points to that not being the case at all. This is a gross misread of Kamille. Sure, mecha shows tend to star teens who are either emotionally not ready for what their reality is or are forced into situations that are beyond their emotional understanding. That works as an excuse for Aumuro. But Kamille is on a whole other level of toxic stupidity and vacuumous causality he refuses to accept as his fault when in fact, Zeta Gundam's first several episodes opens up on a lot of shit that is completely his fault!

Which was the point. He was a counterpoint to Aumuro who ends up being likable and doing some healing by the end where Kamille is a counterpoint who has very few redeeming qualities and ends up a vegettable because he can't let go of his self righteous notions. Kamille's story is a cautionary tale of excessive pride and refusal of accountability. Kamille has the same support group as Aumuro had, essentially and constantly puts blame for things that happen as the result of his actions onto others. None more egregious than what happens to his mother.

There is no reason to make excuses for him. He gets better towards the end but straight up, man. You are wrong if you think anything he does is something that could be construed as acceptable or admissible as a side effect of him being a teenager. The show acknowledges these faults through Emma. But you're putting that back on her and her somehow being the one in the wrong to the point of calling her a bitch? That's... not good. She was rightfully admonishing him because people were dying who were ending up in places they didn't need to be because he kept running and ending up in spaces he had no business being. You think someone's going to watch a person do that and not chew them out? Especially in a high stress war time? Emma was right!

A couple things:

1.) considering Tomino's point in most of his Gundam series was literally that "adults screw everything up" , I'm going to guess your read of the character is much harsher than he ever intended. Zeta makes Kamille a tragic figure (though a bit of a hypocrite), not one who essentially "got what he deserved", which I know aren't your exact words. There's a reason the do-over films don't screw him as badly. You make it sound like he was Katz, lol.

2.) Admittedly, it's been 12 years since I watched Zeta. But Past Sage saw the bolded and got sick, physically. So I'm gonna bow out on discussing Zeta lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
PoX #2 discussion:

I like seeing the older aged up characters like Old Man Logan, but still in his Wolverine get up. Speaking of, was that Swamp Thing-esc character Krakoa?

But, I think PoX is being told from the point of view of that Librarian character, or the person with the Nimrod droid thing. Like they are going back and viewing the events of the past leading up to that point of time. Not really important, just what im thinking after reading.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The JMS Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2 Omnibus is going to have 2 variant covers, so 3 covers total.

The other 2 covers are the Ron Garney? Back in Black cover, and the Joe Q One More Day cover.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
1.) considering Tomino's point in most of his Gundam series was literally that "adults screw everything up" , I'm going to guess your read of the character is much harsher than he ever intended.
I would agree that that's the case and the point is largely intact by the end. It seems to me that they were allowing Kamille do his thing like they had with Aumuro only for it to be to most of the crews detriment in the end. There were other screw up not related to Kamille. Kamille is on his redemption tour when what happens ultimately happens. I don't think he deserved that, but it's still like... No. Emma and everyone else who scolds him for his behavior were right to 100% of the time because people would die in the wake of him pitching a fit and hijacking shit like, IDK, important ass military secrets like the Zeta Gundam?! You also forget that Emma chills out and probably a better pilot than Kamille's ass cuz she's not a Newtype, AND THATS THE TEA!

You are the only person I've ever seen dislike Emma lol

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Probably the weakest of the Hickman X books so far today,
but mainly because all of the Phalanx stuff felt like a total info dump. Really don't know how all of Mutantkind joining some mass hivemind thing is gonna make sense but sure, let's do it.

Amazing Spider-Man was funny, and the idea of Boomerang as a full time character has been a stroke of genius. And that last little twist! I love how weird and low stakes this arc appears to be.

The Time Runs Out arc was my favorite.

It's funny how everyone who reads that run has different opinions on it. I loved the New Avengers stuff and Infinity (and mostly enjoyed the Avengers World stuff) but hated Time Runs Out and didn't really care about Secret Wars.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are Scream and Seperation Anxiety worth picking up today? And if so, I'm waiting for the regular version of Absolute Carnage 1 so will I be fine reading them first?

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
PoX #2 discussion:

I like seeing the older aged up characters like Old Man Logan, but still in his Wolverine get up. Speaking of, was that Swamp Thing-esc character Krakoa?

But, I think PoX is being told from the point of view of that Librarian character, or the person with the Nimrod droid thing. Like they are going back and viewing the events of the past leading up to that point of time. Not really important, just what im thinking after reading.

I think the swampy dude is Krakoa inhabiting Doug Ramsey's body. It mentioned the previous inhabitants of its body having abilities identical to Cypher, and it was stated in HoX 1 that Doug and it had a language only they could understand.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
PoX #2 was an interesting read, I wonder how far Hickman will take the concept of Type III and ascension

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Gwenpool Strikes Back was... disappointing. There's still some hope for the rest of the series but I'm really bummed right now. Leah......

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love Batman Universe so much. This is easily the most I've enjoyed a Batman title since Morrison's run.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dang. Was right. The new Absolute Dark Knight edition was canceled alongside the Burnside Batgirl omnibus way back. IST tricked me.
I think the swampy dude is Krakoa inhabiting Doug Ramsey's body. It mentioned the previous inhabitants of its body having abilities identical to Cypher, and it was stated in HoX 1 that Doug and it had a language only they could understand.
PoX #1 & #2 Spoilers It's either that or this dude is one of Sinister's Chimera. The second generation of Sinister mutants came after the fall of Krokoa and fused two different mutants' abilities. It's definitely possible that Cypher and Krokoa were made into one such Chimera. Could definitely just be Krokoa fusing into Cypher's body, too. But that would make this character an older mutant. Maybe 70+ years post-fusion? Makes sense since they were grouped with all the other "old mutants" in their first appearance. Since they'd likely to have fused prior to Krokoa falling.

Follow-up q from PoX #1. Wolverine says, "All right. Then follow me... the Old Man's waiting." Was that answered in PoX #2? Is the Old Man tree beard or is Wolvie talking about someone else who is waiting?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.