• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the guy who says a Jessica Jones book sucks.

I think I can live with myself.

Some people take the Bendis rhetoric too far and forget he was really good when he wanted to be.

I adore his Daredevil. I enjoyed his X-Men. I'm one of the only people you know that likes his Avengers run. Tell me I'm wrong!

I don't think Alias is very good either tbh

And that's Facts Kellerman.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Congratulations on the affiliate status. I've heard from others who stream full time that it's a slog. I'll stick to writing.

Do you never occasionally find writing a slog?

Bendis probably isn't a huge money maker over any other writer DC already had, but they most likely picked him up for character creation and brand rehab.

It's worth noting that:
Naomi #6: 35,307 <---New Bendis character
Superman #13: 34,204
Action Comics #1013: 31,469
Batman Universe #1: 35,826

But yes, King (Batman), Tomasi (Detective), and Snyder (Justice League) are definitely continuing to pull their weight above Bendis at this moment. But hey, Young Justice and Legion, so I can't complain.

I'm reserving my right to complain until Legion drops, but YJ hasn't been bad.

DapperGoop

Jan 14, 2018
I never expected the climax of Daredevil to involve Catholic knights fighting demon ninjas in a cloud of evil consuming New York. This is some sick shit

rsz_ordo_draconum_earth-616_from_daredevil_vol_5_16_001.jpg

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Anime is corrupting people, guys. Time to ban that shit.
I've been very consistent with my opinion on Alias over the years. When I first read it I was very underwhelmed after hearing about all the praise online. I like Daredevil by Bendis and I enjoyed what I read of Ultimate Spider-Man too. I just think the concept for Alias was far stronger than the writing ever was and it ultimately felt rather flat for me.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. there's nothing one can do every day and not find it tiring. I just would find streaming even worse. At least when I'm writing, I'm by myself and comfortable.

They do say if you find something you love you never work a day in your life. Writing every day makes me feel like that's a bit of a crock. Work is still work.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I adore his Daredevil. I enjoyed his X-Men. I'm one of the only people you know that likes his Avengers run. Tell me I'm wrong!
I'll let the mercury poisoning from so the light tubes do the talking, tyvm!

I've been very consistent with my opinion on Alias over the years. When I first read it I was very underwhelmed after hearing about all the praise online. I like Daredevil by Bendis and I enjoyed what I read of Ultimate Spider-Man too. I just think the concept for Alias was far stronger than the writing ever was and it ultimately felt rather flat for me.
It's the long term character writing and growth that stuck with me. Bendis' voice hadn't been worn out yet so it didn't feel like a thing I had read a million times up too that point. It felt human and weirdly familiar and welcoming. And, for me anyway, there was novelty in it being a Marvel Max title that had more going on than just blood, gore, tits and swear words. There were thematic things happening that warranted that.

But you can also 1v1 me in a cage of death with Freezasaurus as a guest referee. So suit up, brother. It's time to hit the press to promote this!

Last edited:

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Of course. there's nothing one can do every day and not find it tiring. I just would find streaming even worse. At least when I'm writing, I'm by myself and comfortable.

It's just a hobby for me right now. Affiliate status was cool because it was like "Hey, you put a bit of time into this and you're starting to see a reward" which is not something I'm used to, lol.

I'm trying to pace myself, so I only do 4-5 days a week and I do maybe 4 hours on a really good day. 3 hours is closer to the usual. I take a break as well, because I'm in my 30s and leg cramps are a thing after sitting down too long. To be fair, on my days off I am usually doing graphics/tweaking settings, edited content or networking (which you can read as "chatting to mutuals").

I just tend to take my hobbies seriously, and like my Dad, I'm a tinkerer (not Phineas Mason) so I like to mess about with tech stuff.

WeaselKing

Oct 27, 2017
So, comic-era dwellers, I need your help.

Comixology is currently having a DC Rebirth sale. What are your top picks and must haves from Rebirth?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Comixology is currently having a DC Rebirth sale. What are your top picks and must haves from Rebirth?

Tomasi and Gleason's Superman Rebirth (literally the best thing to happen to Superman in the past 30 years)

James Tynion's Detective Comics Rebirth

Super Sons

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Tomasi and Gleason's Superman Rebirth (literally the best thing to happen to Superman in the past 30 years)

James Tynion's Detective Comics Rebirth

Super Sons

Seconding all of these. I'll throw in a rec for New Super-Man as well. I can't remember who recommended that to me here, but I read it during a sale awhile back and it's real good.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
So not worth reading Batman / any of the stuff that might tie in with Metal / Doomsday Clock? I was quite curious about those two events.

If you want Doomsday Clock stuff, I'd recommend getting the DC Universe Rebirth Special which I think is a buck in this sale, and see if you want to go on from there.

I don't think Batman/Flash: The Button is on sale, which is the next part. That's a shame imo.

WeaselKing

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the feedback folks :)
Buying an iPad and finding out about Comixology really increased the amount of comics I've been digesting. These prices are incredible.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I read 6 volumes of Demon Slayer last night.

vciUyZV.jpg

I love it so much and I'd die for Tanjiro and Nezuko

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Aquaman starts out good and just keeps getting better. Underworld especially is great.

Green Lanterns is really good after a boring first volume.

Green Arrow was super fun and gorgeous.

Flash is fun

Nightwing was good too

Rucka's Wonder woman was also solid

Superman, New Superman, Detective Comics and Super sons are great as others have said.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New Super-Man
Green Arrow

Apart from these two, the rest are just passable middling stuff honestly.

I've read a majority of Rebirth and this is the right answer. I bought both of those series weekly and they're the only ones I'd ever consider buying/re-reading.

Possibly King's Batman as well. High highs, low lows. And maybe Suicide Squad, which went some interesting places...

Other books I enjoyed though - Action Comics, Rucka's Wonder Woman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman, Deathstroke... oh, and Priest's brief Justice League stint.

May 24, 2019
Quitely to life

People are liking The Boys, but I bet after Watchmen TV, everyone will be over post-modern superhero shows again.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime I ever saw someone bring up Jupiter's Legacy, it was along with this one cover:

SGttrug.jpg

I had no idea it was a superhero comic until, like, 2 years ago.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
He got something with Cho and Laura Kinney but I can't remember the name of it and they basically stole all the screentime in his own book.
The NOW 2.0 relaunch that was basically a stealth F4 run and yes, it bombed and sucked because Smith was likely ordered to make the not F4 look good and it overshadowed Robbie.

It got so bad, they just canned it even though a 6th issue was solicit.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The NOW 2.0 relaunch that was basically a stealth F4 run and yes, it bombed and sucked because Smith was likely ordered to make the not F4 look good and it overshadowed Robbie.

It got so bad, they just canned it even though a 6th issue was solicit.
With the original book fans complained about the book having no team ups and the second book was Smith trying to address that.

Status
Not open for further replies.