• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

People like Miss M and Artemis really are the definite versions of their respective character, even comparing to the comics.

I really think that part of the appeal of Young Justice was the fact that it had a deep well crafted world that reinvented classic characters while staying respectful to their essence...

At the same time that DC was doing their New 52.

To me at least, it was really a case of "look at how better they are at this!".
Even Cass Cain who has had like 1 scene in S3 looks better as Orphan there than she has been stuck with for years in the comics now.

I really like the whole thing between her, her sister(Cheshire) and mom(retired villain) and then the whole thing with Wally.. the show really sells a "lesser" character well.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Scott Snyder is Morrison for the masses.

source.gif

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a recommendation for a top-tier current Marvel/DC series with either a female lead or an ensemble with heavy female representation?

I don't make a point of reading a certain percentage of books with prominent women, but I can't help but notice it when my pull list has a deficiency. And recently, Paper Girls, Mr. & Mrs. X, and X-23 all ended within a pretty short window of time.

I'll list every book I'm already reading, just to avoid wasting anyone's time:

-Thor
-Avengers
-Valkyrie
-Fantastic Four
-Action Comics
-Superman
-Event Leviathan
-Young Justice
-Wonder Twins
-Jimmy Olsen
-Batman
-Superman: Up in the Sky
-Batman: Universe
-Saga
-Every Star Wars book
-A lot of IDW Disney books

There's some other stuff I get to when it's on sale, but that's the stuff I try to stay current with.

A couple other notes:

-I don't like Rucka, so no Lois Lane

-I already tried Hickman's X-books and dropped them

-Some upcoming books that are already on my radar are Legion of Super-Heroes, Marauders, and Excalibur

If there isn't anything truly great with a female lead or female-heavy team, I'd rather leave my list where it is than add something middling to get more representation.

Ghost Spider, Gwenpool? Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Agents of Atlas? Ironheart? Those are ones I've read/am reading.

Also, what about Rucka don't you like? Just curious.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Ghost Spider, Gwenpool? Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Agents of Atlas? Ironheart? Those are ones I've read/am reading.

Also, what about Rucka don't you like? Just curious.
I think Agents of Atlas might be the next thing I try. I haven't read a Greg Pak book in years, and that sounds good right about now.

My problem with Rucka is all about pacing. I think he paces stories like a novelist, rather than a comic book writer. Even binge-reading a pile of issues in one sitting, a lot of his work feels slow to me.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. Enough new comics for me today. Here are my top 5 favorites I've read today, in order:

#1 - Powers of X #3 - On paper, this little PoX arc is silly. It closes a loop that didn't matter a couple of issues ago and the conclusion, tips about Nimrod, is just a useful point to it. But honestly that doesn't bother me at all. These PoX issues fill me with so much happiness and excitement. I'm genuinely living in the moment, panel to panel, drowning in each revelation, surprised by each new detail. I'm both sad to see these characters go, yet driven to see their efforts come to a larger conclusion. I'm so happy to just be a fan of X-Men again.
#2 - Daredevil #10 - I think I might even have enjoyed this arc more than the first. Affair was a little bit too nicely wrapped up. But the corrupt cop part intersected really well with Daredevil's self-reflection, it all coming to a head. Love the fontwork Love the action sequences. Teaser ending was silly given it was otherwise a good moment for DD.
#3 - Fearless #2 - Really strong writing. Smart. Says something, often bluntly. Cares.
#4 - Deadpool Annual #1 - Actually really funny. Actually appropriately over the top. Tied up nicely. Thin, but sometimes that's all you need.
#5 - Ghost-Spider - Down to earth story. Character establishment. Intrigue tied to the suit + family/friends stress. Feels very much like a good Peter Parker story.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
I feel crazy admitting this, but Miller Superman #2 was the best thing I've read this week.
I acknowledge there were some groany lines* (not nearly as many as the first issue), the Atlantis/mermaid focus was super bizarre and could easily have been from an alternate Aquaman origin instead (though I like the idea of Clark finding freedom flying under the sea when he can't above land), and Frank was probably rock hard writing the pages where Clark's Navy buds were plugging foreign pirates in their turbans, but it was so much better than the first issue. There's great Superman action that really suits JRjr, and the constant poetic narration boxes really worked for me. I think it was probably because he wasn't trying to write it from the point of view of a child this time.

1WEepGT.jpg

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I feel crazy admitting this, but Miller Superman #2 was the best thing I've read this week.
I acknowledge there were some groany lines* (not nearly as many as the first issue), the Atlantis/mermaid focus was super bizarre and could easily have been from an alternate Aquaman origin instead (though I like the idea of Clark finding freedom flying under the sea when he can't above land), and Frank was probably rock hard writing the pages where Clark's Navy buds were plugging foreign pirates in their turbans, but it was so much better than the first issue. There's great Superman action that really suits JRjr, and the constant poetic narration boxes really worked for me. I think it was probably because he wasn't trying to write it from the point of view of a child this time.

I just don't think the narration works well, there's not much rhythm to it that makes it flow like poetry to me. Many of the sentences are too short, almost like they got chopped in half and dumped all over. Some of the repetition is really grating as well. The pages where he gets discharged and when he gets back from the sea the first time are so awkward to read. Of course it's just my own preference though, I'm aware of the diversity of poetry out there

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
If you're looking for more serious straight up war, try 8th MS Team or Gundam: The Origin (manga). If you lean more towards shonen battle fandom, then 00 or Seed is good.
I have to ask, when was the last time you watched 08th MS Team? I did recently and it hasn't agreed well... Was a bummer.

Also forget SEED and it's heavy handed (and poorly handled, imo) racism allegories. If they want a battle series both G Gundam and Build Fighters (just the first series! The rest are toy commercials) are the go to recommendations.

May 24, 2019
I just don't think the narration works well, there's not much rhythm to it that makes it flow like poetry to me.

Not actual verse poetry, but I think it reads pretty close to how people are constantly narrating their thoughts in Terrence Malick movies. It's at least a totally unique style next to today's superhero comics.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Not actual verse poetry, but I think it reads pretty close to how people are constantly narrating their thoughts in Terrence Malick movies. It's at least a totally unique style next to today's superhero comics.
I suppose, such narration is pretty much uniquely Frank Miller's style now. Weird how I didn't notice it in his daredevil, maybe it'll grate on me if I ever go back on a re-read

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1WEepGT.jpg

I'm not reading the book, but is the mermaid stuff a reference/callback to Lori Lemaris?

May 24, 2019
I'm not reading the book, but is the mermaid stuff a reference/callback to Lori Lemaris?

Lori's the name of his mermaid girlfriend in it. If that's an established character, I dunno.

edit: Looked her up. That's neat that the Atlantis stuff wasn't just out of nowhere.
Although I kinda like the idea that mermaids just sprang to Miller's mind to spice the story up.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Emma truly the GOAT mutant.

Also - do I need to read Tynion Tec alongside King Batman? I read Night of the Mutant Men after I Am Gotham and did not enjoy it at all. How intertwined are the two books?

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Emma truly the GOAT mutant.

Also - do I need to read Tynion Tec alongside King Batman? I read Night of the Mutant Men after I Am Gotham and did not enjoy it at all. How intertwined are the two books?
They're not intertwined at all. Even that crossover you read is skippable.

The book King's Batman crosses over with later is Flash. But you don't have to follow that, you can just read the crossover issues.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Read through Locke and Key over the last month, what a ride, it knows how to make you squirm but then make your heart melt with how the Locke children care for each other and their friends

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wait who's writing tec now

I remember liking it then someone left and it went to shit

Ima so confused

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a good boy and never get banned.

Except for those four times I did.