• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday, Woozies! Someone get Woozies a fucking avatar for his birthday.
he should use the Official Omnibus Reading Position our fallen brother Kipp (RIP to a real one) created so lovingly years ago:
9ubnOcg.png

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I wish one of my first comics had a cover by George Perez...

It was a huge moment for me when Marvel Heroes Reborn, which up to that point had been Fantastic Four/Iron Man/Hulk, replaced Hulk (it was late-PAD era, not very riveting for 10/11 year old me, apart from killing off Betty abruptly which made no sense to me) with Busiek/Perez Avengers:

2000832-39.jpg

Sadly, because it was the lowest selling of the four Marvel books they were putting out (the others being "Astonishing Spider-Man", "Essential X-Men" and "Wolverine & Gambit", which actually might have still been "Wolverine Unleashed" back then, it's now "Wolverine & Deadpool" because of course it is), the book folded four issues later. Iron Man was mid-arc, so they summed up the last part of the story in an added-on page.

Thankfully, it was retooled and given a big relaunch as Avengers United a few months later, which is still going, albeit I believe it's now called Avengers Universe (it was originally renamed Avengers Unconquered after Disassembled ran in the book).

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The first comic I can remember properly getting me into comics was Annihilation. I don't even know what compelled me to read it, it just sounded interesting.

Oh actually now that I think of it, I would've read a bunch of old school Star Wars comics before I started reading Marvel/DC stuff.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My first comics was one of these:
mnica-edico-especial-de-natal-n-2-editora-globo-dez-1996-D_NQ_NP_848159-MLB29568013569_032019-F.webp

But if we are talking about super heroes, it was probably some Spider-Man clone saga bullshit from Abril:

ShowImage.aspx

edit: happy birthday woozies!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first floppy comic book I read was... The Electric Tale of Pikachu #2. When manga was still getting released as single issues.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
My first floppy was Jim Lee's X-Men #1 from the local IGA spinner rack. The gatefold version.

Tonight I get all my X-titles caught up to Endangered Species. I also start Claremont's run on Exiles. So pray for me there.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I also start Claremont's run on Exiles. So pray for me there.
I've never read an issue of Exiles (from any writer, not just Claremont), but I don't hate all of Claremont's "newer" stuff. I liked New Excalibur and that Nightcrawler series.

Maybe his Exiles actually is bad (some of his other "newer" stuff certainly is), but I think he gets unfairly pooped on sometimes, like he never did anything good in the later years of his career.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was my first comic.

51xThNP8vkL.jpg

I still have fond memories. It was like Mega Man as Spider-Man! It would have been an awesome series!

Why do all these good Mega Man comics keep getting cancelled?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
First floppy I ever owned/read was Spawn #11. Parents bought them for one of my birthday parties as a prize. I don't think they realized what they were, so we kept all the Spawn comic prizes and gave the other kids different prizes, lol. This is the issue where Spawn learns he can telefrag dudes by going inside of them and exploding out... as a kid I thought it was awesomest shit.

latest

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I had a bunch of stuff handed down from my mom, like some Fantastic Four issues when She Hulk was on the team.

But my first floppy that I bought at an actual LCBS was Spawn 77

spawn-77_a91188ca49.jpg

Loved that cover image so much I also bought the poster lol. Then later on I found a huge statue of it on sale at a KB Toys that was shutting down.

Then once I started reading more, mainly graphic novels on the floor of a bookstore, I picked up Uncanny 375 and that random Astonishing X-Men 3 issue mini series from the spinner rack at the Walden Books at my mall.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Damn, I feel better at 36 now lol.

My first book I can remember was definitely this:
11cover.jpg

I loved this TMNT series and it was a huge part of why I got into comics and accepting their randomness in general. I got this book at a random gas station and had so many questions that I just accepted and went along with.

Other than that, it was either a Batman issue that I couldn't find the cover for but I'm almost positive it has him surrounded by Clayface in a bunch of different forms (cowboy or something?) or random Spider-Man from the late 80's.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by "first comics"? I always read Sunday funny strips every day.

First floppy issues as they released?

933af5680972c1ce9cb8b656ecc9d711-800.jpg

Rogue vs Vargas is a great fight.

I also picked up vintage comics at the antique shop from time to time.

First real trade read?

ess_avg01_2a.jpg

or

61RyENtjq4L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read a bunch of trades from my local library, and it could have been something else, but I'm 90% it was one of those.

I didn't even know there was an X-Men team pre-Claremont. That was my earliest introduction to X-Men, chronology-wise.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I've never read an issue of Exiles (from any writer, not just Claremont), but I don't hate all of Claremont's "newer" stuff. I liked New Excalibur and that Nightcrawler series.

Maybe his Exiles actually is bad (some of his other "newer" stuff certainly is), but I think he gets unfairly pooped on sometimes, like he never did anything good in the later years of his career.

I highly recommend Winnick's Exiles original run. I love it so much. Bedards run was decent enough too.

As for Claremont I have hated most of his newer stuff dating back to X-Treme X-Men. Though his 04 Uncanny run where he brought Psylocke back to life was okay. I have not read his Excalibur series. They are the one X-team I've never really paid much attention to.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Fuck my first floppy? Well I got the Batman Adventures in the mail as a kid, but my first one? God I cannot remember... might have been this one

latest

As for when I was older and actually started collecting, it was this
latest

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Happy birthday Woozies Make it a good one ya nerd ;b

My first floppy was that Infinite Crisis 80 page thing lmao

I didn't seriously get into comics until like five years ago. Tried with New 52, but I fell off. I'm obviously more of a Marvel guy, but I grew up on the DC animated stuff, so I love those characters a lot even if it's not so obvious here.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
My phone's weird so I can't post pictures but the first floppy I got with my money was Brazilian New Avengers 49 which came with

New Avengers 27
Captain America 25
Ms. Marvel 09
New Avengers: Illuminati 1

All in all a pretty good jumping on point.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
As for Claremont I have hated most of his newer stuff dating back to X-Treme X-Men. Though his 04 Uncanny run where he brought Psylocke back to life was okay. I have not read his Excalibur series. They are the one X-team I've never really paid much attention to.
Marvel does Gods work by keeping him exclusive to ensure he writes absolutely nothing.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
My phone's weird so I can't post pictures but the first floppy I got with my money was Brazilian New Avengers 49 which came with

New Avengers 27
Captain America 25
Ms. Marvel 09
New Avengers: Illuminati 1

All in all a pretty good jumping on point.
Do you buy the current floppies from Panini? I feel they're too expensive for me

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The 2000s run is one of my favorites, even if the plots faltered the characters and their interactions with each other were constantly 10/10. One of the best examples of when a writer is able to take a team of literally whos and do what they want with editorial mucking it up. The last issue is perfect and one of those times that's it's just like yeah, that's it, nobody else should ever try writing these characters (Madrox and Layla) again because it'll never be that good.

So of course they did and it was terrible.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Also worth noting that if you read the 2000s series, you should actually start with the Madrox mini that came before it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Random question regarding 90s X-Men after Operation Zero Tolerance: Does Scott Lobdell leave completely once he starts writing the Fantastic Four? Or does he stay on one of the 2 main X-Books while on FF? How was his run on FF? I thought Claremont wrote it when they returned after Heroes Return, but I guess he doesnt jump on till later.

On the last OZT issue now, and I think the Trial of Gambit starts next. Excited to finally get to Heroes Return so I can start the Busiek Avengers. Kinda curious to check out Lobdell's FF. I really like his X-Men actually. Plus I want to read Waid's FF, which is a bit after Lobdell and Claremont.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
First floppy I can really remember checking out would've probably been a Phalanx Covenant X-Men issue or something

I always had a hard time getting into the 90's version because of Stroman's art.

I love the 05 version though.

I've been looking over Epic Collections to check out and saw that one, and wasn't feeling the art from the sample I saw on Amazon. Might check out the Complete Collections of the 05 series eventually if it's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.