• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
GRANT MORRISON SHOOTS ON ALAN MOORE

I've read Watchmen many times. The reasons that I hated it when I was 25 are still there, but now I kinda like it because I'm older and I like the structure and I'm quite in awe of the absoluteness of it. But for all the same reasons, I hated it.

The fact that none of the characters were allowed to be smarter than the author, that really drove me nuts. The world's smartest man is an idiot. He makes a plan all his life that is undone by the end of the book in an instant. The psychiatrist sits with Rorschach for five minutes and Rorschach tells a super banal story of how he became a vigilante and the psychiatrist cracks. If you're a criminal psychiatrist who deals with men in prison, you've heard a million of these stories. It was all to make a specific point about how the real world isn't like superhero comics,

In my school, I was taught in this Scottish Presbyterian way that structure is hidden: you don't see the writer's mechanics. Watchmen, you can't turn the page without him saying "Look at me, look at me, look at me." Okay, we get it, man. You got thrown out of school at 16 for dealing acid, you're clever.

I took potshots at him in the media. I was the first person to say Watchmen wasn't very good – in fact, the only person to ever say that. And that made him angry so then I would get worse. I said that Watchmen was the 300-page equivalent of a sixth-form poem. That kind of trash talk, I'd brought from being in the band because that's what you're like in a band. I'd brought all that across with me to comics and it didn't go down well. I think it genuinely upset him.

Alan Moore didn't speak to me after that and would take his own little shots. He called Arkham Asylum a "gilded turd." Since then, I've had nothing to do with him and he's got nothing to do with me. A lot of comic fans like to think there's some feud but a feud would actually need to involve people's interest. I read his stuff, he reads my stuff – he pretends he doesn't, but he does.

It was the archetypal struggle, and it wasn't fair, 'cause I love his work. Well, there's a lot of it I don't like, but of course, he's great. We grew up in a very similar time even though I'm a little bit younger than him. It's the same influences from '60s TV and '70s TV and the books we read, sci-fi, all that stuff, same comics. And the fact that he got into magic… it's two people who are so similar but so utterly different that there has to be a feud.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/exclusive-grant-morrison-opens-up-about-feuding-with-a-1831011198

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I need a new show to watch now that I'm done with Fringe! I've seen probably everything, but I'm still open to suggestions. I like most Whedon and JJ Abrams arc shows, so if you know of anything like that...

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
From CBR/take with a grain of salt..

talked to a person in the know about this and i dont want to spoil anything before the intial press release but this is for a huge tribute book/limited series special event planned for stan lee

war of realms starts in april and several of the main marvel book are having dedicated tie ins to the event hell ive seen art already for some of the big books tying in like avengers thor hulk, etc

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

talked to a person in the know about this and i dont want to spoil anything before the intial press release but this is for a huge tribute book/limited series special event planned for stan lee

war of realms starts in april and several of the main marvel book are having dedicated tie ins to the event hell ive seen art already for some of the big books tying in like avengers thor hulk, etc
That sounds exactly like what this is. Someone earlier even guessed that very idea lol.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017

I knew it

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda assume with the movie coming out and the relaunch with Ahmed Marvel is going to try to nail down Miles' place in the MU. And I guess he's supposed to be there lead in Spider-geddon but apparently it sucks so nobody cares.

Though I think by place they're just going to make him the "young" Spider-person going forward so hopefully we'll get to a point where we never have to see teenage Peter Parker ever again. Of course this means that Miles' will likely end up with his growth stunted like Peter and stuck as a teenager forever, lol

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
6OboRp9.png

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
People fucking loooove Tony Daniel.
I think his art can be pretty great, but his writing is bad. Bryan Hitch level (but Hitch is a better artist). Manapul is a better writer. In fact, I just finished the Detective Comics run by Manapul and Buccelatto and thought it was way better than what I read of Tony Daniel's run.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
In fact, I just finished the Detective Comics run by Manapul and Buccelatto and thought it was way better than what I read of Tony Daniel's run.
Big agrees from me on all your points especially the quoted. Damn shame they cut it short cuz they were pulling in stuff from their Flash run right as it fell apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.