• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Here's what those Marvel teasers were leading to:
CGRDESTROYS_001_CVR-600x927.jpg
Damn you Dan Slott! What is you doing?!?

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright Miles was pretty good, went some places I didn't expect there. It makes sense and it's gonna make people uncomfortable, but it seems good.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just relieved it's not a big "everything will change event" like we all expected based off those teasers

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
"critically acclaimed writer does follow-up to multiple Eisner-winning series with rising indie talent"
marvel marketing: eh who gives a shit, actually you know what, don't fucking release it, no one gives a shit
"comedian joins forces with house talent to do fun-time goof'em up"
marvel marketing: ALL HANDS ON DECK EVERYONE I WANT ONE TEASER EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR, LET'S SELL THEM ON THE IDEA THAT THIS IS THE BIG ONE, MAJOR EVENT, I WANT PEOPLE HYPED LIKE THEY'VE NEVER BEEN HYPED BEFORE LET'S GO GO GO

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figured out what Tom Taylor's secret to X-Men Red is: He's just writing Jean like Wonder Woman.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The PS4 Spider-Man game was quite bland and I ended up being disappointed. It didn't help that they basically spoiled one of the best moments before release. I know why they didn't show the last person at the E3 gameplay, beside it being so obvious, because it kinda would have spoiled the whole story of the game. Which is weird because you met that person 5 minutes into the game anyway, so you know what is going to happen, unless you don't know Spider-Man at all.

But I also started to read Monstress which looks beautiful and is interesting so far.
I just finished Insomniac Spider-Man myself two days ago and thought it was okay. As I said in another thread, I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was Batman: Arkham City with a Spider-Man skin. I knew the spoilers as well going into it but even so, I think the twist was spelled out gradually for someone going in blind. RE that person: I agree that the E3 trailers spoiled that stuff big time. Insomniac should kept Miles a secret and let players discover it. I thought Miles' dad's death lacked impact but I get that they wanted Peter and Miles' lives to have parallels. I liked the web swinging mechanics and the VA was fantastic but the boss battles were mostly lackluster. If it didn't come with the PS4 in it, I would have waited for a sale to get it.

Also RE: Monstress: I hope you like F bombs because there's plenty of them throughout the series. At times the art is too good which distracts from reading the text. I would love a silent issue of Monstress so the art can truly shine.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
"critically acclaimed writer does follow-up to multiple Eisner-winning series with rising indie talent"
marvel marketing: eh who gives a shit, actually you know what, don't fucking release it, no one gives a shit
"comedian joins forces with house talent to do fun-time goof'em up"
marvel marketing: ALL HANDS ON DECK EVERYONE I WANT ONE TEASER EVERY HOUR ON THE HOUR, LET'S SELL THEM ON THE IDEA THAT THIS IS THE BIG ONE, MAJOR EVENT, I WANT PEOPLE HYPED LIKE THEY'VE NEVER BEEN HYPED BEFORE LET'S GO GO GO
Lmao exactly this, dude. People acting like they didn't try and make this come off like a bigger deal have hilariously short term memory with all the other terrible one sheet campaigns they've run that lead up to terrible events.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Insomniac Spider-Man myself two days ago and thought it was okay. As I said in another thread, I couldn't shake off the feeling that it was Batman: Arkham City with a Spider-Man skin. I knew the spoilers as well going into it but even so, I think the twist was spelled out gradually for someone going in blind. RE that person: I agree that the E3 trailers spoiled that stuff big time. Insomniac should kept Miles a secret and let players discover it. I thought Miles' dad's death lacked impact but I get that they wanted Peter and Miles' lives to have parallels. I liked the web swinging mechanics and the VA was fantastic but the boss battles were mostly lackluster. If it didn't come with the PS4 in it, I would have waited for a sale to get it.

I haven't finished it myself and kind of dropped it due to disinterest but I plan to return and polish it off maybe when the final DLC lands(hype goaded me to get the pass at launch). My biggest problem is that outside of the story, the game just felt kind of limp. Even as an Arkham-like, NYC and its various collectibles and optional content felt so archaic, especially next to the highly detailed Gotham, that I just didn't really enjoy that side of the game at all. Swinging is fine, but there wasn't much interesting for you to do with it outside of travel to the many fights or grab the lazily placed backpacks. The Osborn challenges were decent at best. Arkham at least has clever use of environmental puzzles and ability use to solving a lot of the open world aspects, which Spider-man kind of didn't. I would have enjoyed more dives into the lore possibly with its side content in a way Arkham does. Optional villain hunts or something other than pigeon chasing, gang warfare, backpacks, and floating ring trials.

But I did at least enjoy the mystery of the story for the 10 hours or so I did play. It's largely what will bring me back to see the rest. I do hear it ends on a high note at least.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Spider-Girls was fun, but boy did it get bogged down superhard in that last issue with dumb spider-geddon stuff.

Spider-Gwen was basically "Fuck it, we need to fill in time while this dumb event is happening."

But it was a really fun way to fill in time and had NOTHING to do with the dumb spider-geddon stuff.

Spider-force became a trash fire.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be worth it instead of the version we're getting.
I disagree here, I feel it captures the heart of Ultimate a lot better than even Bendis did in later issues.

The only misstep for me is not just confirming that MJ is Mary Jane in those interviews and letting people deal with it, the full throated commitment to being different worked for me. It also has the only interesting version of Vulture, ever.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree here, I feel it captures the heart of Ultimate a lot better than even Bendis did in later issues.

The only misstep for me is not just confirming that MJ is Mary Jane in those interviews and letting people deal with it, the full throated commitment to being different worked for me. It also has the only interesting version of Vulture, ever.
They clearly just don't want the fan outrage but still want the Zendaya mj who is clearly mj because they like her and want to do their own thing

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after Civil War and Infinity War the Russo Bros. need to be given a solo Spider Man movie

also, yeah, Zendaya is perfect

cX96l7J.gif

w2EEoYC.gif

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
MCU Spidey is a neutered version of the character, they took away a large part of his independence and rushed over the emotional aspect of his stories in exchange for a mile-a-minute pace on Homecoming. I have no confidence in Far From Home except that Gyllenhaal will be good, similar to Keaton. And the synopsis indicates more action and God help us if it's done as poorly as it was in Homecoming.

Russo Spidey is definitely better but as long as it's under Watts it'll be inferior.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
MCU Spidey is a neutered version of the character, they took away a large part of his independence and rushed over the emotional aspect of his stories in exchange for a mile-a-minute pace on Homecoming. I have no confidence in Far From Home except that Gyllenhaal will be good, similar to Keaton. And the synopsis indicates more action and God help us if it's done as poorly as it was in Homecoming.

Russo Spidey is definitely better but as long as it's under Watts it'll be inferior.
520681505b09f59d71c227ab50bd636688b6aae4.gif

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Homecoming has Spider Man sitting on a fire escape with his mask rolled up eating a churro that he got for giving some old lady directions

checkmate

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I still think taking Ganke from Miles and sliding him over to Peter with a new name was a huge mistake. Just do Miles at that point. :/

Also, I bought Miles Spidey #1 today, so I am happy. :3

My comic shop asked me what Gundam kits to stock so now I feel like a local Gundam celebrity.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Michelle is so much better than MJ.

Hopefully she continues to stay her own distinct character and they don't try to tie her down with any connections from the books. She works better as an original character.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Alright Miles was pretty good, went some places I didn't expect there. It makes sense and it's gonna make people uncomfortable, but it seems good.
Also, I bought Miles Spidey #1 today, so I am happy. :3

My only complaint is that with all the content in the issue it almost felt like it should've been a supersized issue to give the scenes more breathing room.

I actually really loved the back and forth between Miles and Rhino. Looking forward to the next issue.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I assume people like Michelle based on potential because in the actual movie she has no character aside from making snarky quips.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I assume people like Michelle based on potential because in the actual movie she has no character aside from making snarky quips.
Honestly, I would rather that than another love interest with a heart of gold thats just there to just to give pep talks to the hero.

I would love Peter to have a romantic interest that doesn't coddle him but actually challenges and even annoys him abit.

SlimeBeherit

Nov 5, 2017

I'm excited for more Zdarsky Spidey and the premise, but I just don't like Bagleys artwork. Would have been nice to get the team back together on this one, by getting Joe Quinones for the art. Will have to wait on some preview art to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.