• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Aquaman #43
Justice League #14

American Carnage #2

Amazing Spider-Man #12
Defenders: The Best Defense #1
Extermination #5
Thor #8

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This dude got bodied

69JnrSX.jpg

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If I were the person taking over Tom King's Batman run, I'd instantly marry Batman and Catwoman. I'd make a billion dollars and everyone would love me.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was a Morrison Batman arc if I recall. I think it was the Blackhand or RIP stuff. It might not be exactly like that, but it's still the same mood and theme.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Finally got around to reading Sabrina by Nick Drnaso. I read it in one sitting. Couldn't put it down. That was a dark read, and I'm just feeling disappointed about American society. Quite a well told story, and I appreciated the radio show and email text. The voicing for all those really was poignant and dreadful.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Jim being a super dirty cop still bothers me a little in Gotham Central upon re-reading. In the Spectre issues I read he always seemed to be very ambitious, but not to that point of corruption

Maybe I am wrong though, my memory is fuzzy and I didn't read all of Spectre

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I read Goodnight Paradise #1 and while I'm not in love with the art, I think it gives Los Angeles a gritty, dirty feel. Both The Fix and now this series paint LA as a glitzy city with a seedy, gritty underbelly.

Homelessness is a huge issue in L.A. and San Francisco so on that end, I think it's successful. People never really think about homeless people live so this series explores it and does it well. Plus I dig that it's a Latino protagonist even though he doesn't seem to speak Spanish so far. But there's a queer character in the story for some additional diversity.

Story spoilers: I thought that Eddie was going to find the body as a cliffhanger but I was pleasantly surprised that he found it towards the middle of the story.

Next up: The Fear Doctor and The Seven Deadly Sins. I've read a bit of the former and it jumps into the action right away. But overall, TKO Studios has a solid first wave of comics on its hands. Whether it can disrupt the comic book industry by successfully introducing a binge-reading model remains to be seen. It looks promising though.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Into the Spider-Verse tonight and it was amazing. My favorite marvel film for sure. So many great things to discuss about the film but the three main takeaways were

1) It took full advantage that it was an animated movie and went nuts. Pulled off various styles and crazy action that no live action movie could touch
2) Loved all the nods to the creators of the books throughout the movie.
3) This is a next level superhero movie. It doesn't exist movie w/o the foundation of the 10+ years of comic book movies being made. We've gotten to the point where audiences have been trained in superhero cape story beats and not being concerned they'll get lost or turned off by anything not completely watered down and safe. Now we got audiences that want to see things amped up beyond the standard origin movie tale. They want to get nuts and it gets nuts. I hope (and expect) you'll see more of this kind of thing continue as studios look to find more interesting hooks to bring people into the theater.

Like what if they just get Grant Morrison to go full Morrison in a movie. Or someone decides to do the 4th world in it's full Kirby Glory.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The messed up thing here is that both of them are harassers.

BC is the source for this and they're saying that the plan was for Esquivel to take over the book lol. If that's true DC has no idea what to do with Nightwing.

I'd agrue that they had no idea before this... Bringing back Duella/Jokers Daughter. That's a Queen Nocenti move.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

BC is the source for this and they're saying that the plan was for Esquivel to take over the book lol. If that's true DC has no idea what to do with Nightwing.

Besides Eric, who's a harasser? Also, LOLLLLLLLL. All these people telling me Nightwing has so much narrative potential. How is it nobody he bounces around from writer to writer like this?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like DC got tired of the Rebirth status quos quick(though I understand it since people get tired of the same thing). A ton of characters have already moved on from it.

Besides Eric, who's a harasser? Also, LOLLLLLLLL. All these people telling me Nightwing has so much narrative potential. How is it nobody he bounces around from writer to writer like this?
In 2013, Scott Lobdell apologized to comic book artist/writer MariNaomi for sexually harassing her on stage during the Prism Comics Panel at Long Beach Comic Con. MariNaomi submitted an article to XoJane[21] discussing how she felt harassed by a fellow panelist when he questioned her sexuality on stage, made offensive comments about her appearance and Asian racial features, and made sexually inappropriate jokes about her during the panel. MariNaomi did not name her harasser, but Scott Lobdell later admitted that he was the panelist in question, and issued an apology to MariNaomi through Heidi MacDonald, chief editor of ComicsBeat.com.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like DC got tired of the Rebirth status quos quick(though I understand it since people get tired of the same thing). A ton of characters have already moved on from it.

In 2013, Scott Lobdell apologized to comic book artist/writer MariNaomi for sexually harassing her on stage during the Prism Comics Panel at Long Beach Comic Con. MariNaomi submitted an article to XoJane[21] discussing how she felt harassed by a fellow panelist when he questioned her sexuality on stage, made offensive comments about her appearance and Asian racial features, and made sexually inappropriate jokes about her during the panel. MariNaomi did not name her harasser, but Scott Lobdell later admitted that he was the panelist in question, and issued an apology to MariNaomi through Heidi MacDonald, chief editor of ComicsBeat.com.

Ahhh. Well, hopefully he learned his lesson. He definitely sounds like a dick for that.

As for Rebirth...I'm not sure why. Most of those Rebirth status quos could've gone on for several more years. Certainly the Bat-Family could've.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh. Well, hopefully he learned his lesson. He definitely sounds like a dick for that.

As for Rebirth...I'm not sure why. Most of those Rebirth status quos could've gone on for several more years. Certainly the Bat-Family could've.
Shaking things up is what keeps readers interested and potentially attracts new people. Like in the past decade we've had Batman replaced by Dick and a new Robin introduced, brought back and gone global, "rebooted", replaced by Gordon, brought back with amnesia, and most recently "rebirthed and engaged to Catwoman.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Shaking things up is what keeps readers interested and potentially attracts new people. Like in the past decade we've had Batman replaced by Dick and a new Robin introduced, brought back and gone global, "rebooted", replaced by Gordon, brought back with amnesia, and most recently "rebirthed and engaged to Catwoman.

Ain't nobody like that shit lol. Plus a lot of these books don't feel like they have as strong an identity anymore. The Green Lantern does, and I'm loving what's happening in Titans as a Kyle Rayner fan, and Justice League is strong. But 'Tec's been aimless and Wonder Woman too. Not to mention Nightwing. I'm not saying keep shit forever, but don't change things after two and a half years.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
I think Rebirth was done in by Geoff Johns stepping down. Like, Rebirth was clearly his baby and the very second he stepped down, Didio came back with a vengeance and suddenly the super hype Wally West story is just... dead. Literally. Right at the same time as Nightwing is for all intents and purposes. Like, Tom King can take all the blame he wants but a lot of the shit in the past half year or so reeks of Didio's vendetta against legacy heroes and happy relationships.

Like BatCat aside, we were promised Aquaman/Mera wedding and right as Johns leaves, that's been quietly forgotten. Young Justice, I feel, is only happening because Bendis wants it and he came with a lot of clout. Probably more than he should have, but I'm not arguing in this case...

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I think Rebirth was done in by Geoff Johns stepping down. Like, Rebirth was clearly his baby and the very second he stepped down, Didio came back with a vengeance and suddenly the super hype Wally West story is just... dead. Literally. Right at the same time as Nightwing is for all intents and purposes. Like, Tom King can take all the blame he wants but a lot of the shit in the past half year or so reeks of Didio's vendetta against legacy heroes and happy relationships.

Like BatCat aside, we were promised Aquaman/Mera wedding and right as Johns leaves, that's been quietly forgotten. Young Justice, I feel, is only happening because Bendis wants it and he came with a lot of clout. Probably more than he should have, but I'm not arguing in this case...

I was going to ask you to explain Wonder Comics as a line but I think you got it. And my thing is...

...Nobody likes Didio's ideas. He keeps pushing this shit and I could care less. Like, the only reason anyone ever cares about DC over Marvel (for those of us who do) is the legacy stuff. The Justice Society. Young Justice. Titans. The Legion. It's all tied together. They're a superhero community, and you relate to that. The emptiest and most depressed I ever was in comics was in New 52 when I realized none of these heroes knew one another. None of the books felt like anything I recognized.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
I was going to ask you to explain Wonder Comics as a line but I think you got it. And my thing is...

...Nobody likes Didio's ideas. He keeps pushing this shit and I could care less. Like, the only reason anyone ever cares about DC over Marvel (for those of us who do) is the legacy stuff. The Justice Society. Young Justice. Titans. The Legion. It's all tied together. They're a superhero community, and you relate to that. The emptiest and most depressed I ever was in comics was in New 52 when I realized none of these heroes knew one another. None of the books felt like anything I recognized.
Yeah, I really should have said Wonder Comics rather than Young Justice, but it's the same point regardless. And honestly, Marvel is kicking DC's ass in legacy right now. because they're adding more and more legacy heroes and villains while DC is actively erasing their's. This is exactly what Johns said was wrong with DC when he took over and it's gone right back to it with Didio's return.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I've been out of the loop for a very long time now, which makes me really sad but life happens...

Anyway, what do I need to have read to prep for Justice League/Aquaman: Drowned Earth? I believe the most recent DC comics I've read are... Dark Nights: Metal, the first issues of Justice League: No Justice, and the current Justice League book. Aside from catching up to the main (are there even others?) JL book and possibly Aquaman (last I read is #34, I think?) is there anything else I need to read?

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

Huh, I mean before the news came out Esquivel was getting praise for Border Town. Seems like a no brainer to put a good writer on one of your books.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I mean before the news came out Esquivel was getting praise for Border Town. Seems like a no brainer to put a good writer on one of your books.
Nioghtwing has had four writers in the past two and a half years and the Percy run was already cut short for Lobdell. Changing writers again so quick makes it look like DC doesn't what to with the character.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Nioghtwing has had four writers in the past two and a half years and the Percy run was already cut short for Lobdell. Changing writers again so quick makes it look like DC doesn't what to with the character.
Percy cut short because Percy left. Liddell is only doing the storyline Percy should have been doing.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I've been out of the loop for a very long time now, which makes me really sad but life happens...

Anyway, what do I need to have read to prep for Justice League/Aquaman: Drowned Earth? I believe the most recent DC comics I've read are... Dark Nights: Metal, the first issues of Justice League: No Justice, and the current Justice League book. Aside from catching up to the main (are there even others?) JL book and possibly Aquaman (last I read is #34, I think?) is there anything else I need to read?
Just those two, and Aquaman isn't really needed tbh

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
All these people telling me Nightwing has so much narrative potential. How is it nobody he bounces around from writer to writer like this?
Honestly this is the depressing part. I haven't caught up yet, but the fact that DC hasn't put a single big name on the book — and I mean a big name, not a well-known name — since Seeley is astounding. Humphries and Lobdell are well-known for being in the game for so long, and Percy has had a couple good books (or maybe just Green Arrow), but none of those names are big draws in the same way King, Johns, Simone, and even Bendis are.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like nightwing has always had that B character stigma for his books. Like why choose to write or draw him when you can do Batman instead. His best creative teams were, funny enough, when he WAS Batman after RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.