• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Lmao Jim Cheung finally comes back to Justice League only to draw 5 pages

I love him but damn he really is slow huh

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Errrr, I just noticed that there's more than 1 future Flash
rfefmsG.jpg

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The Dutch Van der Linde of the marvel universe.

Batman fans don't get to have opinions on Cyclops.

This is correct and it's also why Nightwing is the jam. He's the lynchpin. The first sidekick. He's been on the Justice League and the Titans. The problem is all DC story idea are isolating Dick Grayson. You want to go in the opposite direction. Play up the connections. Nightwing should be "DC Team-Up" half the time.

This isn't a bad idea. There was an issue of Nightwing a while back that just had Roy, Wally, and Dick hanging out and it felt good. Toss Donna in there and you can get an entire arc out of that. Don't make it blatantly Titans, just make it four friends hanging out.

As for the X-Men: I just need the book to be about new stuff for awhile.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Also, this Transformers news is butt. I'm going to give it an honest chance, because I try to do that for everything, but...the excitement isn't there yet.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
X-men is decidely not going to be about new things.

You saw that list.

It's a "greatest hits" of X-Men villains

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
X-men is decidely not going to be about new things.

You saw that list.

It's a "greatest hits" of X-Men villains

Hickman took "old things" from the Avengers and turned on its head. If the X-Men get people talented and experencied creators to actually pull off that. It's crazy how DC has their A game on all their flagship books, while Marvel has only... The Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
The simpler question Marvel need to answer is: what do they want the X-Men to be in 2019? For years now, the book has been in a holding pattern because there's just no concept. It's there for the sake of being there, because there can't not be an X-Men book. There's about a dozen takes you can do with it, be it the young adult coming of age story, the grand melodrama, the metatextual, the agitprop, any other kind of story, but you have to pick one and stick with it, you can't just do a new alternate timeline if you're not gonna have a point to it.

Any writer could do that, any writer could go and give the X-Men the sense of urgency that they've been lacking since after Secret Wars. Pick someone with a vision and let them wreck shop so they can rebuild. Judging by his X-Men work, it ain't Rosenberg, especially not if he's gonna be playing with artists in the Marvel House Style.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any decent shelf recommendations for a small collection? Preferably something that can hold a larger collection somewhere down the line.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hickman took "old things" from the Avengers and turned on its head. If the X-Men get people talented and experencied creators to actually pull off that. It's crazy how DC has their A game on all their flagship books, while Marvel has only... The Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

Eh. I'm pretty sure at this point Kelly Thompson could do a strong X-Men, given how deep her X-Men knowledge runs and how Mr. and Mrs. X is easily the strongest X-book Marvel's putting out, week to week.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
It's been a while since I heard anything about the Gate of Comics. Did they finally die out?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men line has a lot of good writers currently that they brought on in the past year or so. The Age of X-Man creative teams for example are pretty good. The thing is that a lot of them are are relatively new.

It's been a while since I heard anything about the Gate of Comics. Did they finally die out?
No and they are currently celebrating the Border Town stuff.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
In the middle of reading Body Music by Julie Maroh (Blue is the Warmest Color). A collection of short stories and vignettes. Till the point I've reached, they have just been bittersweet, poignant or even uplifting. Still, bracing myself for what may come.

Can someone explain to me how doomsday clock hasn't been one giant prologue for another event when we're coming onto issue 9 and it feels like nothing has happened.

Before After Watchmen

On that note, because the Super Sons omnibus doesn't get you free shipping, you can add on this masterpiece of a collection.

Do6v2Wq.png

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I wonder how the ending of Defenders #1 is going to be addressed, especially with the water planet and Namor

Last edited:

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Defenders book was so fucking rad.

Amazing how this 3 week 5 issue story blows Infinity Wars out of the water.

Infinity Wars had it's moments overall, but what a terrible ending. The entire Loki story arc was for nil, and ends with a tease? fuck that shit

Should I read fallen guardian after infinity wars #6?

Yes, it's a touching tribute to the dead character.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So, who died? You can put in in a SPOILER

Sure!

It was
Drax, who had to stay behind so they can use the stones to create a new universe for the Warpworld, or some bullshit like that. It was all very confusing.

Drax always had an important role un Duggans GotG, so I still loved the emotional story beats and fallen Guardian book. But man wasmthenplot of this event a confusing mess

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I give up trying to find a comic YT channel that doesn't talk about how "SJWs are ruining" whatever.
I had to unsub Gem Mint because of it too.
Comicpop is a good channel for comics. They don't do the "SJWs are ruining" stuff or anything close to it.
comicstorian or comicsexplained are great

Professor Thorgi is good people as well.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Sure!

It was
Drax, who had to stay behind so they can use the stones to create a new universe for the Warpworld, or some bullshit like that. It was all very confusing.

Drax always had an important role un Duggans GotG, so I still loved the emotional story beats and fallen Guardian book. But man wasmthenplot of this event a confusing mess

So the one character who has a history of coming back from the dead whenever Thanos is on the move.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Spider-Geddon felt like a popcorn event. Like I know a lot of people disliked it here, but I thought it was okay, if only because of how inoffensive it was lol.

Though with that ending

The Spider-Count in the 616 has gotten ridiculous, especially now that Ben Reilly got his "redemption." So counting everyone there's Peter, Miles, Otto, Ben, Kaine, Jessica, Anya, Cindy and I guess Miguel even though he's technically back in the future.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I have mad respect for Rosenberg. I wish I felt differently, and because I see him as one of the good guys, I wanted to say kind words, but this... this is not for me, I have so many things to say and I don't even know where to start. I'll try to list it:

1. What the hell happened with Sal Larroca's art? In fact, what happened with the art of EVERYONE doing art for Uncanny X-Men?
    I know, it's rushed to keep an insane schedule.
  2. I love Cyclops 90's costume and Wolverine's brown and tan costume. When Jordan White was making a poll for what were the favorite costumes for the characters, I voted for both. That doesn't mean that I'd want them back, they look dated as all kinds of hell. Don't give fans what they want, give them what they need. And by that I mean if you want to bring those ideas back, get someone to do a decent job revamping those costumes, the X-Men are on the verge of getting into the MCU, stop being petty on not throwing money at these books.
  3. This team is an absolute clusterfuck. Zombie Banshee?! Warlock Moonstar?! Really?! Why should I even care about new freaking mutants becoming the "uncanny" X-Men in freaking 2019? And I fucking love the New Mutants, but holy shit how was this even approved?
  4. Also, stop trying to make the Multiple Man happen as an X-Men, it's not gonna happen. If you want Multiple Man in a team so bad, give Peter David the X-Factor back, or I don't know, get Gail Simone to make him a cool supporting cast for Domino. HELL, give Gail Simone the freaking X-Force book while you are at it. MONTHLY, please.

It guts me to even post this. I feel bad for saying it because it's clear to me that Rosenberg is giving his all. But that's... that's not how you make a flagship X-Men team. I get that Rosenberg is a huge X-Men nerd and that this is his dream job. Mahmud Asrar and R.B. Silva are especially talented artists, and I'm a fan of Rosenberg, Brisson and Thompson, but they were thrown to the wolves here. That's not what the X-Men needed, that's an incredible misstep by Marvel and while the sales were there for the first issue and will be for some time, this isn't the kind of buzz that you want:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...ch-keeps-getting-worse-uncanny-x-men-3-review

Three up and coming new talents are getting torned apart and that's because the truth is neither of these 3 are ready to be writing a flagship book like this, most of all as a weekly. This is very different than the team of somewhat seasoned and tested writers that took over Spider-Man with the Spider-Brain-Trust in One More Day. There you had Dan Slott, Bob Gale (the freaking Back to the Future writer), Joe Kelly, Marc Guggenheim (already a comic book and TV name) and I don't even remember who else. Those are seasoned writers with experience enough to deal with ONE character as the central focus.

The X-Men relaunch needs a seasoned writer. Someone experienced with team books that hasn't really written the X-Men before. I get that Rosenberg is a fan, that the backlash is hurting him and I can definitely see him becoming one of the greats within Marvel Comics or the industry eventually. But neither these writers are there yet to take over X-Men, especially in a weekly format.

Do you want to revamp the Uncanny X-Men and make people go nuts? EASY Marvel. Two flagship books. Get Jonathan Hickman to write both. Do this:

avengers-covers-1-3.jpg

554c8adba5d2a3b982c0475597de38e0._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

But with the X-Men instead. Make it critically acclaimed, not just a book that gets rushed with bad art from GREAT artists drawing it. Don't fuck up with your own up and coming talent like that. Making "the dream" of writers happen when they are clearly not ready to storm the pressure that a book like this has is precisely what is going on here. And ah, give Rosenberg a book with the New Mutants characters and for fuck's sake they aren't the new mutants anymore. That book was released in the freaking eighties, let him come up with a new name, and no, it's not the freaking uncanny X-Men.

/rant off.

Gotta say, I kinda agree with alot of this. This relaunch also feels like it had 4 different ideas for what it wants to be: Another Age of Apocolypse style story, a celebration of all the fan favorites, and some others things that I cant put my finger on. But they arent succeeding at any of them so far.

I think we all expected Marvel to get some big name talent for the relaunch. I dont know why they decided to use these writers, other than that they were the new blood and exclusive. They still have time to fix these problems of course. It does feel like after the Age of X-Man and X-Men Disassembled stories they are going to do another launch with a new adjectiveless X-Men book. Pretty sure once that happens we will also get a different roster for Uncanny.

They should have atleast gotten people like Tom Taylor who were already doing good work with the X-Men to help out with the weekly series, before passing the book on to Rosenberg. Hell, have Mark Waid help out on the weekly. He atleast has experience doing these weeklies.

The simpler question Marvel need to answer is: what do they want the X-Men to be in 2019? For years now, the book has been in a holding pattern because there's just no concept. It's there for the sake of being there, because there can't not be an X-Men book. There's about a dozen takes you can do with it, be it the young adult coming of age story, the grand melodrama, the metatextual, the agitprop, any other kind of story, but you have to pick one and stick with it, you can't just do a new alternate timeline if you're not gonna have a point to it.

Any writer could do that, any writer could go and give the X-Men the sense of urgency that they've been lacking since after Secret Wars. Pick someone with a vision and let them wreck shop so they can rebuild. Judging by his X-Men work, it ain't Rosenberg, especially not if he's gonna be playing with artists in the Marvel House Style.

Rosenberg seems to be perfect for the X-Men spin off books. He obviously cares about the characters that would work perfectly in those types of books. Same thing with Brisson, but they atleast put him on X-Force first, which looks awesome already.

I have high hopes that things will come together soon for UXM. I dont hate the book so far, but I also dont get excited about it each week the way I should.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
So the one character who has a history of coming back from the dead whenever Thanos is on the move.

Yep! But they do A LOT with his human alter ego, like say he always had 2 souls in him, and show his human alter ego living a peaceful and happy lofemwith his wife Yvette.mSome real touching stuff!

And while I am spoiling this shit, we see a full page of the Thanos helicopter in Fallen Guardian, it's glorious.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Gotta say, I kinda agree with alot of this. This relaunch also feels like it had 4 different ideas for what it wants to be: Another Age of Apocolypse style story, a celebration of all the fan favorites, and some others things that I cant put my finger on. But they arent succeeding at any of them so far.

I think we all expected Marvel to get some big name talent for the relaunch. I dont know why they decided to use these writers, other than that they were the new blood and exclusive. They still have time to fix these problems of course. It does feel like after the Age of X-Man and X-Men Disassembled stories they are going to do another launch with a new adjectiveless X-Men book. Pretty sure once that happens we will also get a different roster for Uncanny.

They should have atleast gotten people like Tom Taylor who were already doing good work with the X-Men to help out with the weekly series, before passing the book on to Rosenberg. Hell, have Mark Waid help out on the weekly. He atleast has experience doing these weeklies.

Bingo. The way I see it, they threw these writers - which are talented but still up and coming and too green for something as gruelling as a weekly book - under the bus because Yoshida and Jordan don't really know what to do with these characters. This type of shit is the kind of shit that Marvel makes and scares away talent: they get him to make something way over their league instead of giving them something to break out. The people that DO break out like Tom King, they let them go away, with Ahmed being the glaring exception.

Rosenberg seems to be perfect for the X-Men spin off books. He obviously cares about the characters that would work perfectly in those types of books. Same thing with Brisson, but they atleast put him on X-Force first, which looks awesome already.

I have high hopes that things will come together soon for UXM. I dont hate the book so far, but I also dont get excited about it each week the way I should.

Rosenberg, Thompson and Brisson are ALL talented writers. Mr. and Mrs. X seems to be a good book with a nice following. Rosenberg seems clearly to enjoy Multiple Man. They should have allowed these people to write their "Visions" before giving them the flagship book. Not even Dan Slott which was experienced as fuck with weeklies didn't suffer with the pressure and fatigue of something like that, and he had experience. These Uncanny X-Men writers clearly don't, and it shows. Too much pressure, too much responsibility and of course that too much editorial interference, that comes with the territory with flagship books plus up and comers. They are burning them out with the public, and it's a shame.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who was thinking that Marvel was really close to getting Hickman on Uncanny, then it fell through so they haphazardly slammed together the weekly idea?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Started to catch up on my backlog and got to Witching Hour and Drowned Earth. I liked both quite a bit. That type of small/contained, but still bombastic crossover works well, IMO.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I really liked the new Aquaman. Interesting story and great art. Robson Rocha draws some amazing water

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who was thinking that Marvel was really close to getting Hickman on Uncanny, then it fell through so they haphazardly slammed together the weekly idea?
I don't think it was anything that was seriously happening personally. People have been speculating him on X-Men since before Extraordinary was announced. I feel like it would've happened by now if it was going to be a thing.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finished reading Extermination! Holy crap that was awesome. THAT is how you do an X-Men story! ZattMurdock please tell me you have been reading it! That final page too lol.

Only gripe, which is minimal, but still a spoiler. And some thoughts about the end:
The two kids that were turning people into hounds, I swear in the first issue they were brand new mutants that had just appeared. In the final issue they had been at the X-Mansion before and were getting trained atleast 5 years prior. Probably miss-remembering or something, need to re-read the entire book again some day.

Also, man I LOVE Kid-Cable! Cannot fucking wait for X-Force. If this event was any indication, thats going to be an awesome run. And that last page was just perfect. Having someone in the background that was helping kid-Cable the entire time is such a 90s X-Men twist, and it was OG Cyclops the entire time!!? What!

Extermination really should have just been the UXM relaunch instead of this separate event.

Yea I think we all expected that, mainly from cryptic Hickman tweets and BC rumors. Theres still a chance hes on the other X-Men book, but I doubt it. Wish Hickman well with his Amazon deal, but man do I wonder what would have happened had he not gotten his shows picked up at that time.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, isn't it kind of a prologue? Thought the main books were suppose to eventually catch up to the events of Doomsday Clock.

In that sense you are right, but it's an odd situation in that we already had a bunch of slow burning threads and prologues to Doomsday clock itself. Ones that largely positioned the event as the grand reveal of it all.

Now a lot of the books are buying time, but it feels more and more likely that the near entirety of Doomsday Clock is less so a complete story that answers the man behind the curtain, but uses the man behind the curtain to move a bunch of peices around on the board.

Let me honest with you, this story is not how I thought a 'watchmen is now a part of the DCU' would be handled. The Dr Manhattan stuff was an obvious enough direction, but having characters just, dare I say, lazily cross over feels more like the kind of low execution 'look at this!' gimmick-ship that you saw out of the Marvel versus DC mini in the 90s.

If there is some grander story to tell about watchmens place in the DCU, it's not in this book. 'Oh look the joker is interacting with two new Watchmen characters'. Watchmen itself was a slow burn but it had a central hook that was more than just 'You already know that Dr Manhattan is doing stuff for 9 issues'

I can't really say I believe that whatever revelations happen in the last 4 issues will make the first two thirds live up to the premise.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Finished reading Extermination! Holy crap that was awesome. THAT is how you do an X-Men story! ZattMurdock please tell me you have been reading it! That final page too lol.

Only gripe, which is minimal, but still a spoiler. And some thoughts about the end:
The two kids that were turning people into hounds, I swear in the first issue they were brand new mutants that had just appeared. In the final issue they had been at the X-Mansion before and were getting trained atleast 5 years prior. Probably miss-remembering or something, need to re-read the entire book again some day.

Also, man I LOVE Kid-Cable! Cannot fucking wait for X-Force. If this event was any indication, thats going to be an awesome run. And that last page was just perfect. Having someone in the background that was helping kid-Cable the entire time is such a 90s X-Men twist, and it was OG Cyclops the entire time!!? What!

Extermination really should have just been the UXM relaunch instead of this separate event.

Yea I think we all expected that, mainly from cryptic Hickman tweets and BC rumors. Theres still a chance hes on the other X-Men book, but I doubt it. Wish Hickman well with his Amazon deal, but man do I wonder what would have happened had he not gotten his shows picked up at that time.

Other than the 1st issue I still haven't, my job is eating me alive, but my vacations start today, I'll try to check out this weekend, I also heard good things about this.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

So in the future, five years before the catastrophe that Kid Cable talks about, the two kids were regular students and they were good guys. Then Ahab comes and fucks them up and brainwashes them. Then he drops them in the present, in the 1st issue, where the O5 "save" them and bring them to the x-mansion. Then they start turning people into bloodhounds.

I like Kelly Sue, and I like Aquaman. Give me a bit more info, please. I'm not sure if I want to buy it.
Brainwashed Aquaman. That's all I can say. Sets up the mystery and the world and the characters and all in all it seems like an interesting story.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So in the future, five years before the catastrophe that Kid Cable talks about, the two kids were regular students and they were good guys. Then Ahab comes and fucks them up and brainwashes them. Then he drops them in the present, in the 1st issue, where the O5 "save" them and bring them to the x-mansion. Then they start turning people into bloodhounds.

Extermination spoilers:
Thats right! Those kids were already working with Ahab when they first show up in issue #1. Thanks for reminding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.