• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are making her full crazy again.

:/
Did Rick finally buy it?

Green Lantern #2: This issue was easier to follow, and it clarified the first issues, so win! And that
interrogation scene was excellent.

Doomsday Clock #8: Um... how are they going to finish this series in four issues without rushing it?

About to read GL2! But wanna know the seecery about DC?

They won't

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
lololol, some random guy is getting the support tickets from people playing Fallout 76, instead of Bethesda. How does that even happen lol!?

Edit: wait, its even worse. Anyone who sent in a support ticket is now getting everyone else's. Anyone without Fallout 76, do not send in a support ticket lol!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
lololol, some random guy is getting the support tickets from people playing Fallout 76, instead of Bethesda. How does that even happen lol!?
Bethesda's tech support just as broken as their games.

tenor.gif

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, whoops. Just read the backup feature in Shazam #1. Yeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh.... that Salvation Army bit, huh? Yikes.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
New comic day is always interesting as I skim and take mental notes for trades I'll buy on sale in 6-12 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that gonna fuck up her ongoing? Or is this just for Heroes in Crisis since they don't know what the fuck they're doing with that comic?

Harleys comic may as well still be out of continuity. It rarely falls in line with the rest of the dcu. The heroes one is likely the same as suicide squad Harley.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I know people here were kinda down on Robinson's Detective Comics arc but I really like the idea of little stories in a Bat-book. Tynion's was a good run but I'd like to see episodic stuff as well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Settle this for me: how do you pronounce Ra's Al Ghul? Is it like its spelled: Ra's, or is it Raashh?

Oct 25, 2017
GREAT issues of Venom and especially Hulk today. Both the ongoing and the Defenders Hulk issues were outstanding. It's insane how gory and intense it is, I absolutely love it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finished 52! What a run, despite a lot of minor nitpicks, I was thoroughly engaged and couldn't really put it down over the last couple weeks. Starting the Aftermath books which should add additional context to stuff like the Four Horsemen and the Crime Bible, but what a wild and weird ride. I think Black Adam also had a follow-up mini that I will definitely check out.

My major criticism is that some of the climactic ends didn't tie up very neatly or had some of the similar problems I felt were emblematic in Morrison's JLA run too(big confrontation or moment is met with blinding light and obscured "what am I looking at?" panels and suddenly...resolved! But how? What happened? I couldn't see shit! Here's some flimsy techno-nonsense or teaser for an explanation to come later in a future book maybe.). Some story beats were also completely ignored(or sidelined into other books?), and a few more not worth really getting into without a spoiler discussion. Still, very minor criticisms that only slightly tugged at me despite really enjoying the epic.

Thinking this might be a good time to break for other reading before jumping into Seven Soldiers/Morrison Batman/Final Crisis/Johns' GL. Almost six months I've been reading this Crisis run now.

Settle this for me: how do you pronounce Ra's Al Ghul? Is it like its spelled: Ra's, or is it Raashh?

I personally have opted to use the 'Ray-sh' pronunciation. I used to say Rah-zz though, but both could be wrong for all I know.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the Thompson and Nadler story in X-Men: The Exterminated. The Claremont story was fine, but it felt more like a story celebrating Cyclops.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Green Arrow #47 - Well it's over now, which is nice. In general I just don't really get the message here - it's political but it doesn't jive at all with Ollie because his whole schtick is taking justice into his own hands. Like, you can't have a black-and-white "vigilantism is bad, trust the system" moral when your main character is a Robin Hood themed vigilante!

Batman #60 - I do like Batman going over the edge, and I do like seeing Gordon taking charge. The Penguin stuff was just... like, what the hell, man?

I'm a little bit convinced he was fucking that penguin. In general, this arc is a good pitch for "he should be in Arkham too," but I've always liked that Penguin was a completely sane guy with a weird gimmick, so not sure if I'm into that. Really curious where things are going with Thomas Wayne though!

Doomsday Clock #8 - Wow, surprise surprise, the Planet is "waiting and seeing" on the Moscow incident just because Superman is involved. They've always been meta-apologist trash, Christ what a rag.

An issue with almost no Watchmen content, and it's the best one so far? Hmm what a surprise.

What stood out to me here was... holy shit Bendis is completely going to tank whatever continuity they were trying to set up with Doomsday Clock, isn't he? By the time Rebirth "catches up" Lois is going to be the new Livewire and Superman will have his mullet back or some other similarly weird continuity snarls. I guarantee it.

Batman interjecting here was interesting, and almost felt like the seeds of DC Civil War (in a good way!), which makes me sad we only have four more issues to explore the metahuman conspiracy, because it's the most interesting part of the story and this is the first time it's been anything more than stage setting.

The Best Defense: Namor #1 - Slow start from Zdarsky which is not a surprise. This felt more like a preview of his Invaders series than a part of a larger narrative, but I guess that's kind of the point, after having read the Hulk issue. I'm not that hot on it, but that last page has me intrigued.

The Best Defense: Immortal Hulk #1 - This one just felt like a lost issue of the series proper. It's brilliant though - Di Meo doesn't QUITE fit the tone of the book, but it's serviceable. Loved seeing a Bruce-centric story since we haven't had much of him in the main book, and the use of Lee/Kirby/Ditko panels was brilliant.

Immortal Hulk #10 - Goddamn. First of all, again, Bennett's art, top notch. Praying this gets an OHC at some point, because those spooky Hulk eyes need to be seen in the largest print possible. The action here wasn't as strong as the last book (or the Avengers issue), and in general it felt like a "putting the pieces into place" chapter... but I'm still hooked.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Thought about it a bit more and jesus christ fuck the X-Office for what they did to Madrox, complete trash. I now know how some of you feel when a terrible retcon or whatever seems to destroy years of a character for no reason.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Man what a great week.
Doomsday Clock is entering the finale.
Hulk is really ramping up the horror, and now we're going to start to see payoff with the One Below All.
Shazam was great. Nice to have two Johns books come out on the same day.
King's Batman was surprisingly good today.
Will be very interested to see where King plans to go with bringing Thomas Wayne into things.
Justice League was ok. I feel Snyder is abandoning this book to Tynion so he can go back to Batman with the upcoming Batman Who Laughs mini.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Man what a great week.
Doomsday Clock is entering the finale.
Hulk is really ramping up the horror, and now we're going to start to see payoff with the One Below All.
Shazam was great. Nice to have two Johns books come out on the same day.
King's Batman was surprisingly good today.
Will be very interested to see where King plans to go with bringing Thomas Wayne into things.
Justice League was ok. I feel Snyder is abandoning this book to Tynion so he can go back to Batman with the upcoming Batman Who Laughs mini.

Snyder isn't abandoning JL he's already said this will be a really long run. The Doom issues were always scheduled to be done by Tynion.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Snyder isn't abandoning JL he's already said this will be a really long run. The Doom issues were always scheduled to be done by Tynion.
Maybe Drowned Earth threw my perceptions off but I feel like Tynion is writing more and more of the book, beyond just the Legion issues. But the next arc is Manhunter and Hawkgirl focused, so we'll see how that plays out.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Vinland Saga volume 7.

Not really sure where the story goes after this, it honestly feels like the ending to Thorfinn's story. If it ended here, though, it would be a fantastic end to his arc. Such an emotional volume, shit made me straight up cry 3 times. Such a beautiful American Comic Book.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone reading Coda? Ive seen it in a few best of lists already, but havent heard anyone talking about it. Im not a big fan of Si Spirrior, but the art looks great.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Not liking Mikel Janin? Dude does gorgeous work.
His latest issues for Batman have been major downgrades from his previous work. His issues in that one Bane run are fucking amazing but then you compare those to the newest issues and it's like two different people.

I don't dislike it as much as some others do but his work is looking more and more rigid and some panels it just straight up looks like some poorly articulated 3D models.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Not liking Mikel Janin? Dude does gorgeous work.
His stuff in Grayson was gorgeous. Now it's clearer than ever he's tracing untextured 3D character models. Sometimes it looks like his art IS just untextured 3D models. I don't hate it suddenly, but it's an odd evolution for his work to take. Worth critiquing, imo anyway.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Read the first two issues of Mighty Thor and it's a definite improvement from the last, well, everything since Godbomb. But Roxxon/Dario is an awful villain - like an awful parody that takes me out of the story every time I see them.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

When he has the right colourist. That colourist being Jordie Bellaire. Some of his stuff in this Batman run has been legit terrible. Some stuff has been legit impressive.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So, Doomsday Clock is good again? I can't wait for the full trade to be released ten years from now.

[edit]

Lol, issue 1 came out in November 2017. Fuck me.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Batman Creature of the Night started at the same time, and I'm still waiting for issue #4. Bud, waiting two months between issues is NUTHIN to me.
Yeah but I forgot that book even existed.
8 issues in a year is more than I expected tbh.
I thought it would have been fast-tracked. Isn't this intended to bring the Watchmen into the main DCU? Or is this just a one-and-done story and then we'll never see the Watchmen again?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We found out about the Watchmen joining the DC in May 2016. Obama was still present and the world made sense.
Batman Creature of the Night started at the same time, and I'm still waiting for issue #4. Bud, waiting two months between issues is NUTHIN to me.
Oh yeah, that was a thing as well.

I was excited for that one since it looked like Year One's art.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I forgot that book even existed.

I thought it would have been fast-tracked. Isn't this intended to bring the Watchmen into the main DCU? Or is this just a one-and-done story and then we'll never see the Watchmen again?

It was supposed to lead to a bunch of shit that has now presumably been changed.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Doomsday Clock #8 is probably the hypest DC or Marvel issue I've read all year. Goddamn, Johns is doing work.

Status
Not open for further replies.