• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Man that shot of New Oa in Green Lantern is my shit. It makes Oa really feel like Police HQ for the universe, just gives off this great sense of scale that's been missing from DC Cosmic recently.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah but I forgot that book even existed.

I thought it would have been fast-tracked. Isn't this intended to bring the Watchmen into the main DCU? Or is this just a one-and-done story and then we'll never see the Watchmen again?
I still think that's what will happen with everyone but Mime and Marionette. But Doomsday Clock was supposed to sort of wrap up the overall Rebirth arc. Bring back the Legion of Superheroes and JSA, lay out the new continuity, answer why so much changed. I feel like it will still do some of that, but like Messi said the delays have presumably diluted its overall impact. Scott Snyder has a big event coming up in the summer, and that is what DC is building up to now I guess.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
A person puts change in a Salvation Army Christmas jar. Apprently that's a yikes situation? Beats me.

The Salvation Army's History of Anti-LGBT Discrimination

If You Support LGBT+ Rights, Don't Donate to The Salvation Army

Salvation Army rehab centre faces charges for rejecting vulnerable transgender people

So yeah, that's just a sampling of my my qualms with DC having an in story ad and endorsement of them in their comic... I ultimately loved the issue but that bit cut a bit considering most my friends are very, very wonderful and proudly gay. Fuckin editorial bullshit, really.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough energy to read more right now but Green Lantern #2 was fantastic. I'm so happy this comic exists.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
GL #2 was great. Really enjoyed it. I thought Shazam #1 and Doomsday Clock #8 were better, but still, this week was an embarrassment of riches.

The Salvation Army's History of Anti-LGBT Discrimination

If You Support LGBT+ Rights, Don't Donate to The Salvation Army

Salvation Army rehab centre faces charges for rejecting vulnerable transgender people

So yeah, that's just a sampling of my my qualms with DC having an in story ad and endorsement of them in their comic... I ultimately loved the issue but that bit cut a bit considering most my friends are very, very wonderful and proudly gay. F***in editorial bulls***, really.
Unfortunate. Can't defend those views, but having a place that feeds homeless people period is better than nothing. My brother works at Salvation Army or some kind of shelter associated in some way with them and he hasn't had to deal with any of the anti-LGBT stuff but he talks about how unfortunate some of these homeless peoples' situations are and how glad he is that there are places like where he works that can feed them and shelter them for a night or two.

So, again, yeah, that's terrible and I certainly don't support those views. But I'd rather have something than nothing when it comes to helping the homeless.

But what makes you think it was an editorial decision, and an ad? That seems like a big reach. The story wasn't about Salvation Army. That was one page that provided a pivot point for the little plot.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
GL #2 was great. Really enjoyed it. I thought Shazam #1 and Doomsday Clock #8 were better, but still, this week was an embarrassment of riches.

Unfortunate. Can't defend those views, but having a place that feeds homeless people period is better than nothing. My brother works at Salvation Army or some kind of shelter associated in some way with them and he hasn't had to deal with any of the anti-LGBT stuff but he talks about how unfortunate some of these homeless peoples' situations are and how glad he is that there are places like where he works that can feed them and shelter them for a night or two.

So, again, yeah, that's terrible and I certainly don't support those views. But I'd rather have something than nothing when it comes to helping the homeless.

But what makes you think it was an editorial decision, and an ad? That seems like a big reach. The story wasn't about Salvation Army. That was one page that provided a pivot point for the little plot.
It's an entire page full of the Salvation Army logo appearing multiple times. Not exactly a natural creative decision and added little to a story where Mary's compassion could have displayed in millions of other ways.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Doomsday Clock was really great-but I really don't understand why Superman trying to protect people was such a shocking moment.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's an entire page full of the Salvation Army logo appearing multiple times. Not exactly a natural creative decision and added little to a story where Mary's compassion could have displayed in millions of other ways.

That's a valid opinion to have I suppose. To me it just seemed like a totally innocent scene, meant to connect her leaving home to her finding a new home at a sign that says "Help the Homeless."

Doomsday Clock was really great-but I really don't understand why Superman trying to protect people was such a shocking moment.
I think it's less that it was shocking that he was trying to protect people, and more because the DC universe that's taking place in Doomsday Clock is one that is very suspicious of superheroes. They generally seem to still like Superman, but because of how disenfranchised people are of superheroes in this world, they are still quick to assume the worst.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
DIE #1 sure was something. It sure gave me the feeling that this series is going to pull some serious shit that I'm going to feel really sad about.

And it's getting me super curious about what the rules for the RPG are going to be.

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
Die #1 was so good. Our d&d party is called The Big Boys and I nearly pissed myself on page #1.

Is there a single Suicide Squad Rebirth volume I can pick up that has some good Katana stuff? Young Justice Outsiders hype got me hooked, so I need some small good stories with:

Katana
Metamorpho
Forager
Black Lightning
I dunno if it's good but they had Suicide Squad side stories in the Suicide Squad: Most Wanted book two years ago, and there's a Katana one that I believe is also collected on its own. Katana also gets a story in the current Black Files mini

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
or, and hear me out on this one: she's still posessed by Darkseid like in Countdown

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck Doomsday Clock was great.

Shame it didn't have Marionette in this issue, but I'll forgive them just this once.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it wasn't THAT big of a deal. And it was pretty obvious with
how erratic Dwight had become with his desire for a war.
Nah, I knew he'd bite the bullet. But who did it was indeed a surprise, don't try and kid me otherwise my dude.

It sets it up interestingly too, as we'll see how it affects Rick, Michonne etc

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
This Crisis Aftermath: The Battle of Bludhaven mini is terrible so far. I rarely drop a comic, no matter how awful as curiosity typically wins out for me, but I am really struggling to keep going. This should have been an easy enjoyable read too. What is the aftermath of the Chemo bomb that decimated Bludhaven during IC? I was intrigued! Instead, this is all convoluted and inane nonsense. Piles of different D-list superhero teams fighting over illogical reasons and the return of Major Force and Cap Atom...yea I'm moving on.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Vinland Saga volume 7.

Not really sure where the story goes after this, it honestly feels like the ending to Thorfinn's story. If it ended here, though, it would be a fantastic end to his arc. Such an emotional volume, shit made me straight up cry 3 times. Such a beautiful American Comic Book.
Where is vol 7 in the story? Is he on the farm yet?

!!!
Was this posted for me? Haha.
Speaking of scotch, my scotch advent calendar is going well. A couple nights ago, the drink was Caol Ila, which I have wanted a bottle of for a while. That desire has been confirmed.

Last edited:

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I dunno if it's good but they had Suicide Squad side stories in the Suicide Squad: Most Wanted book two years ago, and there's a Katana one that I believe is also collected on its own. Katana also gets a story in the current Black Files mini
Sejic also drew Katana in the Rebirth SS book.

This Crisis Aftermath: The Battle of Bludhaven mini is terrible so far. I rarely drop a comic, no matter how awful as curiosity typically wins out for me, but I am really struggling to keep going. This should have been an easy enjoyable read too. What is the aftermath of the Chemo bomb that decimated Bludhaven during IC? I was intrigued! Instead, this is all convoluted and inane nonsense. Piles of different D-list superhero teams fighting over illogical reasons and the return of Major Force and Cap Atom...yea I'm moving on.
Don't bother with that story. The major thing to happen to the city happens at the start of Final Crisis when Darkseid moves in

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Anyone reading Coda? Ive seen it in a few best of lists already, but havent heard anyone talking about it. Im not a big fan of Si Spurrier, but the art looks great.
Fixed. That being said, I've been following the series closely and like it quite a lot. The art and colors are indeed excellent. I would definitely call it one of my favorite series this year. The world is intriguing, the premise goes interesting places, and there's a bunch of great panels.

So now that I've finished reading The Highest House TP, I have to say it has a great payoff in terms of character development and tackles issues of slavery maturely. As anyone knows, I love reading indie/small pubs comics so this series is up there as a must read this year. I look forward to seeing where it goes next. Now to turn this into a 600+ word article.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
boku_no_marvel_academia_art2_by_ducklordethan-dcdmwi7.png

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So orders for the first issue of Other History of the DC Universe got cancelled?

Hopefully it gets resolicited soon, that was easily the biggest upcoming DC book for me. Between this and Outsiders there's a lot of "DC minority hero" books getting yanked around.

Edit: nvm, I was thinking that this was the DC Omni that collected all the early Detective Comics issues, this its called Detective Comics Before Batman. My bad, it's early :/

They also canceled Sleeper book 2, which is never getting re solicited according to DC, which is just stupid imo. Just release it digitally atleast.

He also thinks this might be the end of Black Label, but it wont be. This is really disappointing though. Like wtf is going on over there. This book looked really neat and I was really looking forward to it since I dont have alot of exposure to the characters in it.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this and it's conpletly bizarre.
Yeah it's killed my excitement for any kind of X-Factor revival. And I can't imagine anyone who likes PAD's run or the character is actually glad that he's back since all of that is gone now. I hope someone comes along soon and fixes it otherwise I'm just going to pretend the real Madrox is still alive and retired on the farm now lol

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
In-universe he tries to be apolitical so people were surprised to see him take a stand on an issue. Most were probably expecting some "both sides" bullshit.

Man I love this Cassie design. I've never read anything with Amethyst I should probably start before Young Justice launches.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
So orders for the first issue of Other History of the DC Universe got cancelled?

Hopefully it gets resolicited soon, that was easily the biggest upcoming DC book for me. Between this and Outsiders there's a lot of "DC minority hero" books getting yanked around.
My initial reaction was to blame the new management, but that doesn't make sense. The new head is a black woman, why would she be against a book focusing on the minority DC heroes? I really hope Black Label isn't dead, I was really looking forward to some of the stuff coming up.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Edit: If you wondered what happened to that "Vader through the eyes of people around him" mini that Lucasfilm announced and Marvel cancelled, its back with a new name and team

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My initial reaction was to blame the new management, but that doesn't make sense. The new head is a black woman, why would she be against a book focusing on the minority DC heroes? I really hope Black Label isn't dead, I was really looking forward to some of the stuff coming up.

Yea this is really strange. I hope its just being either re-labeled as just a normal DC book, instead of a Black Label title. Or they are making similar changes to this book as they are the Outsiders, so it will fit in with whatever is coming out in the future.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Black Label has been a completely half baked wet fart. How do you launch a label with one book, knee cap that on release and try to grandfather in your old books to cover for a lack of titles. The promise of books to come is not enough. Should have waited for Snyder and Kelly Sue imo. I'm hesitant to say cancel the line because I desperately want Harleen.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very confused on how DC is handling Harley Quinn.

It's like they have no idea what they are doing.

They are trying to have two Harleys one happy go lucky one in her own book and one complete psycho in the main universe. Except both are in the DCU.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Black Hammer Library Edition looks great. Really happy this came out. Came with a dust jacket, which I don't know why Dark Horse does that, but at least they replicated the dust jacket design on the cover boards, so I can put the dust jacket in storage.

46206584681_bafcf76568_b.jpg

32334516798_0b78c38d4f_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.