• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

pHgfg6f.png

By Drnaso.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Jean has been cool since her return.

I don't really want to see Cyclops with either her or Emma anymore though.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
You guys see Duggan and Image comics got sued over his comic Dead Rabbit? I guess there's a comic themed restaurant called a dead Rabbit, and they won the suit, or Image settled, and the comic was pulled from all the comic stores.

There was an old gang in NYC called the dead rabbits (or something like that) which is what I assumed the comic was based on, but I guess it was still infringing on that restaurant lol. Like wtf.

I dunno why no one here reads it...
Damn lol that's gotta suck

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not up to date with X-Men continuity but shouldn't the leader of the X-Men really be Storm? Jean was dead for years and I don't really understand how or why Kitty became the leader instead.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh wow we finally got a cover or banner or whatever the fuck it's called! And the size's all fucked up! Thanks, Era 2.0!

At least it's better than the ones on the profiles

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow we finally got a cover or banner or whatever the fuck it's called! And the size's all fucked up! Thanks, Era 2.0!

Size changes depending on people's settings and at a base level the banner sizes on mobile and desktop are waaaay different. There's very little we can do.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Covers in general are weird. The portion of the image that gets displayed varies by desktop / mobile and where it's being viewed. If you put a location in your profile, your cover image will get a bit more viewable space when people click your avatar.

Oct 25, 2017
Lengthy review incoming
C29VnJc.jpg

I'm conflicted by this book. It has a number of strong qualities that seem undermined by the craft of the author. I feel, at times, that I was reading a great work produced by someone ten years before they would be capable of doing it justice. Still, it is a book very much worth reading if I think it may be superceded by other works and reduced by time.

Sulaiman has knack for making characters work. They're all very well defined in terms of their interests and ambitions. Dialogue mostly gleams, but on occasion, it comes off as it maybe rushing to push along the story and as part of a rougher draft.

The passage of time is marked by a death count that wears the reader down. I felt myself feeling like the characters do, weighed down by the violence around them with seemingly no end in sight even in disbelief at its own continuation. Depictions of real life videos and photos are inserted into the book as filtered through the book's style. It is one of many creative decisions that ultimately make this book greater than the sum of its parts.

While the situation in Syria may be extremely complicated by any number of actors and agents, the simple graphic style of the story serves the setting well. But just because the style is simple, it does not mean it is elegant. The execution here is messy and clunky. The expressions of characters are too basic and inconsistent especially when it comes to women. The body language of the characters often exists only in a minimal way.

In some pages, silhouettes tell the story and they are used to great effect. I understand the author may have wanted to boil down the visuals to its most basic point in these pages, but the composition in these panels communicates too little to tell us anything of significance. Almost every panel is stiffly posed. Whenever the story requires a sense of movement, Sulaiman loses his hold on the craft.

In comparison, when Sulaiman includes them, his backgrounds are quite striking and dynamic. The high contrast style works marvelously here. At around the midpoint, pages 138 and 139 in my edition, there is a wonderful sequence where the characters set up sniper cover on a street. It is the visual highlight of the book and it may be telling that the characters occupy little real estate on these two pages.

0c5Wdsi.jpg

But the book accomplishes what the author sets out to do. I came away from the book, not understanding the conflict to a greater extent, but seeing it with a more sensitive, grounded point of view gifted by the author. Am I personally bringing it down too many points because of what I want to be?

Is this type of journalism, one where a timely comic is created to explain a place, people and time, bound to the same standards as a regular entry of fiction? I don't know, but my ultimate recommendation is that you check this book out and make your conclusion as to what a work like this means.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
I'm not up to date with X-Men continuity but shouldn't the leader of the X-Men really be Storm? Jean was dead for years and I don't really understand how or why Kitty became the leader instead.

Guggenheim was given X-Men Gold which became the "main" X-Book and he's literally a younger Claremont except replace Storm with Kitty. He said repeatedly she's his favorite character and he quite literally turned her into Felicity from Arrow. Inexplicably the HBIC with emphasis on the B. She's treated as this unstoppable perfect leader when she's mostly a bitch to everyone who makes speeches for no real reason.

While I'm lukewarm on his writing, I did appreciate in Sina Grace's first Iceman run where Bobby straight told Kitty she's been a bitch ever since she became leader. And made fun of her hair.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That's every x leader tho
Well yeah, but hey, you gotta go through the cycle.

Has Storm fucked up?
Go to Kitty

Has Kitty Caused a mess?
Scott you're on deck

Whoops Scott fucked the pooch
Logan, go and do the leader thing

Wolverine screwed things royally?
Hey Beahahahahahahahaha get one of the one offs

Whoops they did no good
You free storm?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I've seen 0 posts I'm assuming people in this thread aren't that excited about the Avengers game. Y'all are smart. I'm going to die of laughter if the rumors are true and you play as a fucking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I've seen 0 posts I'm assuming people in this thread aren't that excited about the Avengers game. Y'all are smart. I'm going to die of laughter if the rumors are true and you play as a fucking S.H.I.E.L.D. agent.
10% it's PS4 Spider-Man or Rocksteady Batman tier, 90% it's every other superhero video game tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.