• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Upgrade Soul is...it goes places. I'm about 3/4 done and it's really, really good so far. Has a Cronenberg flair to it, in both the writing and the art, it can be quite grotesque at times. I can see why Paste has it tied for #1 this year.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Tomasi better get a long, uninterrupted Detective Comics run, free of publisher interruption.

I'm so tired of Tomasi getting the shaft. Nightwing ended because Dick became Batman. Relegated to the be the companion book on Green Lantern Corps. Batman and Robin changed course drastically because what happened to Damian. Superman ended before he wanted to because Bendis took over on all Superman titles.

I agree but the direction change in Batman and Robin was incredible. Those issues are amazing.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I want a multiple year Tomasi run on Tec tbh

After finishing Uncanny X-Men I'm not sure what to read next.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Finished Black Bolt and Crusher Creel was also my favorite part of it. Never thought that would become a character I could give a shit about.

Also reading Young Avengers. Liking it, aside from those cringey Tumblr recaps. I just read #6 which has a great fill in artist named Kate Brown. I don't think she's done much else since though, a WicDiv issue is all I can find.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I want a multiple year Tomasi run on Tec tbh

After finishing Uncanny X-Men I'm not sure what to read next.
You could read the sequel Uncanny Avengers and its universally loved, almost-as-good-as-White-Knight AXIS event
I think the beginning is not great, but it isn't all about darkness and grim situations. The love and friendship in Berserk are also portrayed well. I think it is a great Dark Fantasy series with some of the best art in the industry.
Yeah I wasn't so hot on the first couple volumes. Like, they were good entertainment but didn't have much meat and I hadn't really connected with the characters. But this is one of those series that just gets better and better with every volume and god damn the Golden Age was something

But I wish Miura wasn't so fucking horny all the time

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You could read the sequel Uncanny Avengers and its universally loved, almost-as-good-as-White-Knight AXIS event

Yeah I wasn't so hot on the first couple volumes. Like, they were good entertainment but didn't have much meat and I hadn't really connected with the characters. But this is one of those series that just gets better and better with every volume and god damn the Golden Age was something

But I wish Miura wasn't so fucking horny all the time
Already read Uncanny Avengers from him. I liked it tbh.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God dammit I just found out Scales & Scoundrels was cancelled.

That book was so good.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Twitter thread from TKO, some interesting ideas. I like what I see so far, and it seems like you can download the 1st issue of them all right now?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They got Roxane Gay?

Okay TKO. I see you.

EDIT:

Holy shit. Releasing all series at once. Isn't that a gamble and expensive as hell? No way to gauge readership, and I wonder what they'll do for ongoings. Gues they're big name mini focused right now.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda liked Dr. Fang, though it was hard to follow at times. Didn't really dig Goodnight Paradise or 7 Deadly Sins. Sara was Ennis, not sure where it goes from there.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how that will work out. I mean its a great idea in theory, sounds like the Netflix of comics. But if a book doesnt sell, they wont know until the entire thing is released lol.

Also, they want 15$ for their digital books and it doesnt look like they are going to be on CMX.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how that will work out. I mean its a great idea in theory, sounds like the Netflix of comics. But if a book doesnt sell, they wont know until the entire thing is released lol.

Also, they want 15$ for their digital books and it doesnt look like they are going to be on CMX.
Yeah it seems like an nice plus for consumers but at a huge gamble for them

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
TKO binge releasing comics is my kinda shit

Oh and all your fave comics being cancelled is my Christmas gift to you all. You're welcome.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Mighty Thor, everything from The Asgard/Shi'Ar War on was pretty damn good, with Vol. 4 and 5 both being fantastic. So y'all lied to me though it took like 12 issues into Mighty Thor for it to get really good again. Aaron does a really good job at the scale of everything going on and of course Dauterman's art is awesome. I maintain my earlier opinion that Roxxon is fucking terrible and the more earth-based stuff (Roz) is pretty weak which is why the second volume was by far the worst. Seriously it's jarring having this big mythic epic and then a caricature of an evil CEO/megacorp shows up and does cartoonishly evil things, it's really out of place. Definitely looking forward to the War of Realms though with a some reservations due to the aforementioned flaws.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
No. Different style of writing. You have to make sure each issue of a mini is satisfying on it's own. An OGN is just one complete story.

If it's difference between say Superman: Secret Identity or Superman: American Alien, and Superman Earth One.

Definitely. But if they are going in with releasing a trade/collection on day one and also 6 issues together on day one, what are the creators targeting?

It's something I've noticed with many Netflix series too. Targeting episodic story telling but also trying to balance binge releases is not an easy thing.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Doing all that, but not posting to CMX seems like quite a gamble.

_______

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I feel like Young Justice being a mediocre book is practically a forgone conclusion. I just hope when they spin Amethyst out of that they get a good team on it instead of just giving Bendis a dozenth book to coast on.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Killmonger had a really interesting start and I'm curious to read more.

While the family moments in Shazam were cool the story itself was kinda meh. I obviously expect things to pick to pick up when Johns gets to the actual plot. The art is extremely good though.

Next read for me will be Martian Manhunter.

Serpentine

Oct 25, 2017
there's a post that's been going around detailing emotional and sexual abuse from a comics writer

she doesn't outright name him but the hints point pretty clearly to Eric Esquivel

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Doing all that, but not posting to CMX seems like quite a gamble.
Yea I asked on twitter, but havent gotten a response yet. I hope they just havent sent it to cmx or something. That just seems like the best marketplace to get people to buy your books who dont follow the announcements on twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.