• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the Mattis resignation that Trump didn't understand until two days later.

8pWQ.gif

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I'll get the four-story anthology I've spent the last three years working on, finally to market.

[Tiny panel snippet of work in-progress, by Olivia 'Critical Role Vox Machina Origins' Samson and Ted 'Crowded' Brandt. Colours to come]

20181231_165442.jpg

And, more likely, catch up with East of West and Lazarus, once I'm through with Silver Surfer (a recommendation from here, which has been on point).
Looking forward to seeing the final product!

Reading that Warren Ellis interview MH posted a while ago and this feels like a dig at comicsgate

20181231_190814.JPG

It's the damned truth.

He also wrote a long thread on twitter last night about a White Knight Animated movie lol. He wants it to be animated in the BTAS style, but with cgi Batmobiles, and Margot Robbie to play one of the Harleys.

On one hand, I love Azrael. On the other, White Knight.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how much longer until DC Universe is turned into a legitimate Marvel Unlimited contender because now it's getting silly.
I don't think they see DC Universe as a Marvel Unlimited competitor. Comics are an afterthought for people that want original video content and a back library of DC shows. They've talked in the past about how an MU type service would devalue some of their perennial sellers like Watchmen, DKR, Batman Year One, New Frontier, etc...

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully I'll get the four-story anthology I've spent the last three years working on, finally to market.

[Tiny panel snippet of work in-progress, by Olivia 'Critical Role Vox Machina Origins' Samson and Ted 'Crowded' Brandt. Colours to come]

20181231_165442.jpg

And, more likely, catch up with East of West and Lazarus, once I'm through with Silver Surfer (a recommendation from here, which has been on point).

Damn this looks cool. Keep us posted?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
What are everyone's comic book goals for 2019? I have a big list of stuff I plan to read, but I don't wanna type it up on mobile.

Don't you dare say "Not reading comics."
Going to finish the last volume of PAD's Hulk run. Need to work on my backlog, it's started to build up. I'm planning on reading Rucka's first WW run, Ostrander's SS, and Spectre Hal Jordan.
So how much longer until DC Universe is turned into a legitimate Marvel Unlimited contender because now it's getting silly.
DC tends to have stronger trade sales than Marvel, and the fear that a DC Unlimited option would hurt sales is probably why they're not copying Marvel in that regard. I think they should put series that they want to push but are struggling in the direct market up on DCU for subscribers to read for free. Stuff like the NAoH would benefit from that I think.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Super Sons is awesome. They should have just given Tomasi Young Justice, if this is any indication to how well he can write younger heroes. He did say he was struggling with writing 2 books at once in the forward, but that was mainly due to Superman double shipping.

Jimenez is such an awesome artist. So glad hes at DC.

And Goliath is by far my favorite new character. Where else has he shown up, and where was his first apperance? Was it during that Robin War mini or something? I know he was in an arc of Batman Beyond, with an older Damian as the new Ras Al Ghul (which was a really neat story actually). I think he was in a bit of Tomasi's Batman and Robin also, but I havent read much of that (planning on getting to it once I finish Morrison's Batman and Robin).

EDIT: It was in some random issue during Convergence, but mainly in the Robin: Son of Batman run.

Who else is up for a 52 re-read in 2019 with me while we follow along with this?

Ill never be able to keep up with their schedule, but im totally going to add this to my podcast app for the future. Thanks for posting this!

EDIT: Oh wait, this is the same guy that does the Journey into Misery podcast? Ive tried listening to that a few times since they cover a ton of stuff I would enjoy, but their recording equipment isnt the greatest from what I remember. Hopefully theyve upgraded since then.

Last edited:

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Super Sons is awesome. They should have just given Tomasi Young Justice, if this is any indication to how well he can write younger heroes. He did say he was struggling with writing 2 books at once in the forward, but that was mainly due to Superman double shipping.

Jimenez is such an awesome artist. So glad hes at DC.

And Goliath is by far my favorite new character. Where else has he shown up, and where was his first apperance? Was it during that Robin War mini or something? I know he was in an arc of Batman Beyond, with an older Damian as the new Ras Al Ghul (which was a really neat story actually). I think he was in a bit of Tomasi's Batman and Robin also, but I havent read much of that (planning on getting to it once I finish Morrison's Batman and Robin).

Ill never be able to keep up with their schedule, but im totally going to add this to my podcast app for the future. Thanks for posting this!

EDIT: Oh wait, this is the same guy that does the Journey into Misery podcast? Ive tried listening to that a few times since they cover a ton of stuff I would enjoy, but their recording equipment isnt the greatest from what I remember. Hopefully theyve upgraded since then.
I actually don't know! Haven't listened before. But I mentioned earlier -- may just read certain key moments to refresh my memory. Not the whole thing. Will be fun to revisit this way, I think! Hopefully the podcast's mics aren't too awful. haha

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't know! Haven't listened before. But I mentioned earlier -- may just read certain key moments to refresh my memory. Not the whole thing. Will be fun to revisit this way, I think! Hopefully the podcast's mics aren't too awful. haha
Ill give it download and see how it is tomorrow at work. I think ive listened to some of his other shows and they dont have the same problems, so maybe its just wherever he records JiM thats the issue. I added the JiM Snyder Batman episode just now so ill try it again and see if its any better now.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year to all of you and to a 2019 filled with awesome comics! I got a LOT of comics\manga to read so I can't tell what was my favorite or not.

I hope to get more into DC, everything I've read from Rebirth I'm loving so far - last week read Red Hood Vol 3 and Green Arrow Vol 5. Now I'm going to get into Metal.

Actually, I got a box that Panini released here with all the Metal related comics at CCXP (Brazilian pseudo comic-con). And the box art and poster was a new art of Sepultura singing with the Batman Who Laughs looming at them( by Rafael Albuquerque) :

108999_520x520.jpg

The box came with a Sepultura CD. Now, I really don't care for Sepultura, in fact I don't enjoy they work. But I do respect the guys. So, after getting my box, a guy from Panini threw me to get the box and a poster signed by the band. I didn't even know they're were there lol

So now I have a nice box and a poster with a bunch of signings 👌

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Started Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, holy shit is this edition beautiful. Why doesn't Viz put out more series in this format? The size is huge and the paper quality is great. Here's a video of someone flipping through it:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Happy new year peeps! Here hoping for a good year, and love this community. <3

This coming month is going to be so exciting for Young Justice fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Started Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, holy shit is this edition beautiful. Why doesn't Viz put out more series in this format? The size is huge and the paper quality is great. Here's a video of someone flipping through it:

I guess it just comes down to length versus prestige. Imagine having the entirity of 20th century boys like that haha. It'd be awesome but the sheer amount would make it super niche. It is a gorgeous set though.

I like what they're doing with the FMA fullmetal editions at least, those are real nice. I'd have actually rebought all of 20thCB like that.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Why is he flipping through that book backwards !?

But yea, ive been saying the same thing for years! Would love for more manga to come out in larger versions like this. Yea they couldnt do them for everything, especially the super long runs, but it would be nice for some to get this treatment. Dark Horse did a oversized version of BLAME! but they havent done them for any of the writers other books, which I really want lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Prestige format manga like this doesn't always sell well. Half the appel of manga is the low price. Unless the series is REALLY good, most people wouldn't bother. And sometimes blowing up the art to that size can make it look bad. Like Attack on Titan. Those huge versions are tacky and heavy as shit.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Read through more comics before the new year
Couldn't really get into Hi-Fi Fight Club/Heavy Vinyl v1. Joyride v1 was a little bit more interesting but too much and nothing much seemed to happen at the same time? Will give v2 a shot.

Also, I remember whinging about Marvel trades getting shorter (4-5 issues) and being padded with some random classic issue (or even just a few pages of a classic issue). But I read 4 trades in the last couple of days from Lion Forge, Boom and Image and all of those were just 4 issues. Is this the new standard now?

Yeah, lovely HC edition. Most popular manga series get fairly long though. The retail on this is $70. Akira box set retail is $200. Even "short" critically acclaimed series like Monster or Oyasami Punpun will be at least twice that length.

But yeah, there has been a slow increase in premium editions. FMA, Battle Angel Alita, Ghost in the Shell.

I guess it just comes down to length versus prestige. Imagine having the entirity of 20th century boys like that haha. It'd be awesome but the sheer amount would make it super niche. It is a gorgeous set though.

I like what they're doing with the FMA fullmetal editions at least, those are real nice. I'd have actually rebought all of 20thCB like that.

Wasn't there an announcement for premium format HC 20th CB last year?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Horse did a oversized version of BLAME! but they havent done them for any of the writers other books, which I really want lol.
Sadly it's not Dark Horse but Vertical, I wish it was Darkhorse cus then they wouldn't be so damn pricey on IST. I wanna get them real bad but I've been keeping an eye on them since the first volume came out and have never seen them go down below $22-ish.

[edit]

Also, the regular price is pretty crazy. $34.95?! I mean, I know it's oversized but for 402 pages it seems a bit much.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the CMX app was pissing me off. I had a shit-ton of books marked "In Progress" on smart list because I didn't scroll to the very very last page of a lot of books over the past couple years and it was starting to bother me seeing the same shit there all the time. So I finally did a mass "mark read" on them. Only it didn't stick for about twenty of them. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of them. So I archived them. HA! I WIN MOTHERFUCKER!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the CMX app was pissing me off. I had a shit-ton of books marked "In Progress" on smart list because I didn't scroll to the very very last page of a lot of books over the past couple years and it was starting to bother me seeing the same shit there all the time. So I finally did a mass "mark read" on them. Only it didn't stick for about twenty of them. No matter what I did I couldn't get rid of them. So I archived them. HA! I WIN MOTHERFUCKER!
lol. My biggest problem with the app is when im trying to delete a book, but it just opens it instead. So it becomes a constant battle with the app of accidentally opening a book and then closing it again while trying to press that tiny button on the side.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man I just realized

Young superhero books are really strong right now as a genre. Like right now, and since I'm much more optimistic about Bendis than most...

Holy shit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly it's not Dark Horse but Vertical, I wish it was Darkhorse cus then they wouldn't be so damn pricey on IST. I wanna get them real bad but I've been keeping an eye on them since the first volume came out and have never seen them go down below $22-ish.

[edit]

Also, the regular price is pretty crazy. $34.95?! I mean, I know it's oversized but for 402 pages it seems a bit much.
Oh your right, i dunno why I thought it was Dark Horse. But yea that is way too much lol. I love Nihei's work though and would probably end up paying it if they did the Master Editions for Biomega or Knights of Sidonia.

VIZ did do a HC Complete Deluxe Edition for his Abara manga, but Ive never even heard of it before, so I just got the digital version while it was on sale.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Man I just realized

Young superhero books are really strong right now as a genre. Like right now, and since I'm much more optimistic about Bendis than most...

Holy shit.

I think YJ will at least be enjoyable, though I not quite sure how well he has done with team books before. As long as he doesn't do a huge comic event or something. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.