• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins in a fight?

• Knull

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • The Batman Who LMAOs

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why a story like that was ever supposed to connect to the DCU. Like...I wouldn't want it to. I'd want it to just be a stand-alone answer to Watchmen. I don't want to finish a book like that and feel like "great, now it's telling me to go read this other shit".
But the point was it was the ending of the story of Rebirth, which WAS a DCU-wide initiative.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished watching Brightburn.

Yeah, gonna need to see this world's version of Lex Luthor kill this guy in a sequel.

Fun evil Superman film, hopefully WB explores something similar down the line in an Elseworlds style movie.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching Brightburn.

Yeah, gonna need to see this world's version of Lex Luthor kill this guy in a sequel.

Fun evil Superman film, hopefully WB explores something similar down the line in an Elseworlds style movie.
Never saw it. It was one of those things that I was kind of interested in then just completely forgot about until I saw the blu-ray sitting on a shelf at the store.
Sorry, but I thought Brightburn is awful.
You are awful.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
But the point was it was the ending of the story of Rebirth, which WAS a DCU-wide initiative.
I get that DC set it up that way, but all that went in one ear and out the other, because nothing about that angle was of interest to me at all. All I've cared about is what Johns had to say with the book, like thematically. I just want to know what it is he had to say that made him take on this project to say it. Not continuity nonsense.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks Doomsday Clock's status quo was almost definitely scrapped, because the Superman Theory and everything around it has so much potential as a setting for DC. It's the geo-politics that I crave in my nonsense superhero books.

Tq9oZyr.jpg

All that world building gone to waste. What a shame.

May 24, 2019
I don't understand why a story like that was ever supposed to connect to the DCU. Like...I wouldn't want it to. I'd want it to just be a stand-alone answer to Watchmen. I don't want to finish a book like that and feel like "great, now it's telling me to go read this other shit".

I don't think it'd have been much. There'd be a background of public distrust of heroes bubbling alongside a conspiracy theory that metas were a goverment invention, and some folks would have changed into Garry Frank's costumes.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks Doomsday Clock's status quo was almost definitely scrapped, because the Superman Theory and everything around it has so much potential as a setting for DC. It's the geo-politics that I crave in my nonsense superhero books.

Tq9oZyr.jpg

Yeah, there could have been a lot of super interesting stuff created out of what was set up in this book.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Watchmen HBO continues to be the most comic book shit ever and I love it.

I hope Doomsday Clock lands the ending so we can have two great Watchmen sequels to stick it to Moore.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, been awhile since I posted here. I did read some comics so I figure I'd discuss.

-Brightest Day Omnibus/lots of GL. Finally wrapped my long Green Lantern marathon that I started months ago. Read all of Johns' run as well as the Corps run simultaneous(up to the Flashpoint event pre-N52). This also simultaneously ended with the Brightest Day story and various tie-ins, though I only stuck to the core event and the Justice League International story that revolved around the resurrection of Max Lord. (DCU earning its sub)

I dug it, though Brightest Day tapered off by its end, as did the Max Lord stuff. It was fine, but taken as a whole, the GL saga of this time was quite something to behold. I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much without having read the Corps. simultaneously, so many great stories and characters introduced. I decided to break and not jump into Flashpoint and N52 stuff...yet.

-Batman by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb Omni. Real good. I've only read The Long Halloween prior to this, so I wasn't exactly aware how tied into that plotline the sequels(Dark Victory and Catwoman When in Rome) were. Not as strong, but certainly good as well. Just a great collection too, the Omni has real care including good paper quality and binding. One of DC's better book productions.

Probably gonna jump into X-Men again next. Starting with the Jim Lee/Claremont run and pressing on into the early 90's with Fatal Attractions, etc... at least until I need a break and decide to read something else. Also, awaiting the Hickman X-Men OHC collection to finally read soon!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Finished comic books after the Eagles loss (FUCK YOU ALL).

Loki ending early makes me sad.

May 24, 2019
Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Tq9oZyr.jpg

I mean, they'll likely keep all of those heroes and concepts. I just don't think whatever the fallout is, is going to be the focus of the DCU.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, been awhile since I posted here. I did read some comics so I figure I'd discuss.

-Brightest Day Omnibus/lots of GL. Finally wrapped my long Green Lantern marathon that I started months ago. Read all of Johns' run as well as the Corps run simultaneous(up to the Flashpoint event pre-N52). This also simultaneously ended with the Brightest Day story and various tie-ins, though I only stuck to the core event and the Justice League International story that revolved around the resurrection of Max Lord. (DCU earning its sub)

I dug it, though Brightest Day tapered off by its end, as did the Max Lord stuff. It was fine, but taken as a whole, the GL saga of this time was quite something to behold. I wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much without having read the Corps. simultaneously, so many great stories and characters introduced. I decided to break and not jump into Flashpoint and N52 stuff...yet.

-Batman by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb Omni. Real good. I've only read The Long Halloween prior to this, so I wasn't exactly aware how tied into that plotline the sequels(Dark Victory and Catwoman When in Rome) were. Not as strong, but certainly good as well. Just a great collection too, the Omni has real care including good paper quality and binding. One of DC's better book productions.

Probably gonna jump into X-Men again next. Starting with the Jim Lee/Claremont run and pressing on into the early 90's with Fatal Attractions, etc... at least until I need a break and decide to read something else. Also, awaiting the Hickman X-Men OHC collection to finally read soon!
Nice to see you back. Glad you enjoyed all the GL stuff.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching the Promised Neverland and now I'm like this...

b16.jpg

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cyber Monday comic Lightning Deals on Amazon USA (Prime members starting time, with non-members starting 30 minutes later).

Invincible Compendium 3 - 12:24am PT
The Walking Dead Book 12 - 3:29am PT
The Walking Dead Compendium Two - 3:49am PT
Hellboy Omnibus Volume 1: Seed of Destruction - 3:49am PT
The Walking Dead Book 13 - 4:04am PT
Batman by Grant Morrison Omnibus Vol. 2 - 6:34 am PT
East of West The Apocalypse Year One - 6:49 PT
Moebius Library: The World of Edena - 8:39 PT
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello & Cliff Chiang Omnibus - 9:14am PT
Batman Vol. 2: The City of Owls - 9:49am PT
Invincible Compendium 2 - 11:29am PT
I Hate Fairyland Book One 2:04pm PT
Saga Compendium One - 2:14pm PT
Low Book One - 2:29pm PT
Paper Girls Deluxe Vol. 2 - 3:49pm PT
Saga Book One - 3:59 PT
Descender Deluxe Vol. 1 - 5:39pm PT
Monstress Vol. 1: Awakening - 5:39 PT

Going off of Black Friday's discounts, most books will probably be between 45-55% off.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. If I'd known it was going to be what it is, I wouldn't have read it. If Geoff Johns wants to pretend Watchmen was the Baron Corbin of the DCU and "ruining everything" , then I'm fine if there's a plan where I give a shit about the DCU again.

That plan was absolutely scrapped.

Which part? DC having any importance? Or that giant map? 'Cause either would be massively disappointing at this point.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. If I'd known it was going to be what it is, I wouldn't have read it. If Geoff Johns wants to pretend Watchmen was the Baron Corbin of the DCU and "ruining everything" , then I'm fine if there's a plan where I give a shit about the DCU again.

Which part? DC having any importance? Or that giant map? 'Cause either would be massively disappointing at this point.
Doomsday Clock I would assume.

Fabok also said on twitter that three Jokers is like TKJ and whether or not it's in continuity is up to the reader.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Doomsday Clock I would assume.

Fabok also said on twitter that three Jokers is like TKJ and whether or not it's in continuity is up to the reader.

Yeah I guess so. Really feels like a big fuck you and a waste of my time. I don't think I've ever been so detached from comics, seriously. All my favorite writers are all but out of superheroes, new ones I like cycle out just as quickly.

I know, I know, there's non-superhero books but frankly...I'm not big on most. If I wanted that I'd read manga or watch a Netflix show. Few of them do anything at ALL that isn't already being done in another medium.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Son of the Demon was not canon for 19 years, and all of a sudden it was; canon and continuity are just one thing in the great tapestry of what makes comics cool, and I feel like you've overstating their importance, which is especially egregious when talking about a series that has not ended yet

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
A similar thing happened here, where I fell in love with the extended bat family.
Yes!!
Still don't give a crap about Batwoman, though!
No!!
Speaking of which, I meant to compliment @Aizō on the Larfleeze. I'm a fan. Of Glomulus too!
What's mine is mine and mine and mine.
And mine and mine and mine!
Not yours!
I still believe you are 7 feet tall.
Same. He made the joke one time, and that became his defining feature in my mind. Fuckin' giant.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
This current arc of Nightwing sounds interesting.

Grayson's grandfather and the Court of Owls manipulating Ric to join their group and become an assassin.
Read Higgins' Nightwing instead. Like this sounds interesting, but this is just playing off of that. Higgins' run has Barrows on art for part of it.

I never suggest HIggins' run. Ever, and yet I am now.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly one of my favorite TV shows period. Danny Patrol is golden - particularly that scene where Larry jumps up on stage and looks like his old self, and sings karaoke, and becomes the person he wants to be, followed by a smash cut to reality where he's bandaged and anxious and closed off to the world.

I love me some self-loathing characters and Doom Patrol does them right.

That sequence was so heartbreaking. They've done such a great job boiling these characters down to their essence and really deep diving into it and exploring their pathos.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
That sequence was so heartbreaking. They've done such a great job boiling these characters down to their essence and really deep diving into it and exploring their pathos.
I still can't believe Geoff fucking Johns figured out the body horror angle to Rita when Grant Morrison didn't and that's why she's not in his run.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
damn. Burned through half of Transmetropolitan already. This is really good. But also really fucked up, and not in the "wow sex and drugs and Spider being really rude" kind of way but in the "oh my god that's genuinely horrible and terrifying these people are fucking sick" kind of way.

the end of the 5th volume with the riots..... jesus

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
damn. Burned through half of Transmetropolitan already. This is really good. But also really fucked up, and not in the "wow sex and drugs and Spider being really rude" kind of way but in the "oh my god that's genuinely horrible and terrifying these people are fucking sick" kind of way.

the end of the 5th volume with the riots..... jesus

I think the grimmest part is that since the problems are so structural, there's not much anyone can do. Sure, they can expose stuff but it doesn't make much of a difference in the end.

The story with the frozen people always got to me. Such a small-scale tragedy in a city full of them.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I think the grimmest part is that since the problems are so structural, there's not much anyone can do. Sure, they can expose stuff but it doesn't make much of a difference in the end.

The story with the frozen people always got to me. Such a small-scale tragedy in a city full of them.
yeah, it's just... god. Every issue is full of tragedies like that and even with the horrible elections and all the big scale problems, the small ones hit as hard or even worse. It's just... sad...

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
list!

ASM #35
Annihilation Scourge Fantastic Four #1
Annihilation Scourge Nova #1
Excalibur #3
Marauders #3
X-Men #3

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
With Civil War II and Annihilation Scourge, what's the next event Marvel will necromance back to shelves? Inferno 2? Fear Itself 2? Atlantis Attacks, Again?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally getting around to watching Doom Patrol and mother of god it's so good. The Danny Patrol episode might be one of my favorite episodes of tv ever, damn that was good.
Yes, I love it. It actually ignited my interest in Doom Patrol comics. I had read a few of Way's Young Animal run, but it didn't really click. I'm not most of the way through Morrison's run and loving it.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I love it. It actually ignited my interest in Doom Patrol comics. I had read a few of Way's Young Animal run, but it didn't really click. I'm not most of the way through Morrison's run and loving it.

Depending on your tolerance for older comics, I highly recommend the original Silver Age series as well. It starts on My Greatest Adventure #80 and then the book was officially retitled Doom Patrol at issue #85 or #86. I read through it all again a few years back, and I thought it still held up really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.