• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins in a fight?

• Knull

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • The Batman Who LMAOs

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Reading the Death of Superman for some reason.

In the "newspaper" about his death there's an ad that says "Things Are Booming in Coast City"

lmao
I'm doing the same, just finished Reign and am moving into Return. Also read Lemire's Royal City which I liked although the ending felt rushed.
I mean, he's largely correct about the Avengers only usually having one amazing book between them at any one moment. On Wonder Woman, the biggest issue is most of her focus is on the gods, and recasting them over and over to fit the new story. Which is the point of the best WW arcs, of which I can only name a few. But you can only do that so many times.

So it's probably a problem of finding a WW-unique hook. For a bit there in around 52, it was the fact that she was the one who would occasionally go that extra mile and put down a villain. (The Max Lord moment.)

EDIT: Breevort points out the gods and monster problem in another reply.

Writers don't know what to do with Diana in the context of the Trinity. Batman and Superman play off each other perfectly, and they both have fairly fleshed out "worlds", but Diana hasn't really had a strong relationship with either one that didn't cast her as the love struck wannabe girlfriend for either Batman (DCAU) or Superman (Kingdom Come). Patty's movies for better or worse are the things that's going to define a lot of Diana's lore going forward, because DC can't make up their minds on who WW should be.

Rucka's Rebirth run was fairly good and if DC had actually bothered to get a good creative team before running through a bunch of filler teams + Robinson it could've really been a launchpad. But just like Morrison's New 52 Action run, the follow up was rather weak. I really hope Orlando can turn the ship around.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando from the solicits is giving her a "new hometown" in Boston.

This is where I start questioning the 5G stuff. I know they aren't giving it away but nothing about what I've seen (he also have an interview to Newsarama) gives me the impression this is a guy who will only be writing Diana through the end of next year.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando from the solicits is giving her a "new hometown" in Boston.

This is where I start questioning the 5G stuff. I know they aren't giving it away but nothing about what I've seen (he also have an interview to Newsarama) gives me the impression this is a guy who will only be writing Diana through the end of next year.
Okay, wait. Huh? I know what 5G is in terms of internet stuff, but why am I seeing this term pop up now in relation to comics?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, wait. Huh? I know what 5G is in terms of internet stuff, but why am I seeing this term pop up now in relation to comics?
BC put out a rumor that DC is going to replace all of their main heroes with unexpected options following the next crisis. The named ones were Batman will be replaced with Luke Fox, Superman with Jon, and Hal with Teen Lantern. Wonder Woman would be undergoing to change first. It's 5G because the new DC timeline has four generations and this would be the next.

Comicsbeat reported that they heard the same thing and Tynion has already put it out there in his newsletter that he's doing Luke Fox stuff in 2020.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
BC put out a rumor that DC is going to replace all of their main heroes with unexpected options following the next crisis. The named ones were Batman will be replaced with Luke Fox, Superman with Jon, and Hal with Teen Lantern. Wonder Woman would be undergoing to change first. It's 5G because the new DC timeline has four generations and this would be the next.

Comicsbeat reported that they heard the same thing and Tynion has already put it out there in his newsletter that he's doing Luke Fox stuff in 2020.
Okay, got it. But ya'll motherfuckers really need to find abbreviations that aren't already taken.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about 5G and will probably check the titles out, but it also seems like something that will get such a negative reaction it'll be undone within a year. Seems really tone deaf considering how DC has handled their legacy characters lol. Like the Flash rumor is... Boomerang's kid? Meanwhile poor Wally West.

That's assuming it's not already planned to be a short thing.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about 5G and will probably check the titles out, but it also seems like something that will get such a negative reaction it'll be undone within a year. Seems really tone deaf considering how DC has handled their legacy characters lol. Like the Flash rumor is... Boomerang's kid? Meanwhile poor Wally West.

Ryan Higgins got mad at BC when it was first reported because he doesn't believe it and said that it caused a bunch of retailers to freak out in the DC retailer group.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I think it fits pretty well. Not the Twilight Zone-ish part but outside of your typical superhero story and dark. I think anybody who really liked Vision would also really like Omega Men, even though Vision is very small scale compared to cosmic scale like Omega Men.
I think there's a good discussion to be had here. Omega Men isn't really a superhero story. Does it use Kyle? Yes. But at what point is he the hero? He's being used and propped up as one, but for most of the story he's being held hostage and the "heroes" as we believe them to be are full blown terrorists. By the time Kyle does get to be the hero, and does help "save" the Vega system, the Omega Men merely assume the roles of the people they usurped. Killing and enslaving. Or being killed themselves. Nothing changes, really, just another regime. Kyle completely loses his faith, and so there's not really a superhero aspect to it at all. The baddest superhero moment in the whole book (Kyle becoming the Omega Lantern) ends up just leading to the most depressing realization at the very end.

But it's also nothing like Vision. Omega Men is psychological, yes, but it's about radicalism and the cycles of war and manipulation of people through faith and religion. Vision is about life and sentience and artificiality. But it's also not a superhero book. Aside from fending off Grim Reaper, I can't think of any real superhero moments in the book.
Ask yourself: what do you know about this person? Nothing. Then why judge on something so trivial? Perhaps they have already found success and comfort in their life then found a game they truly love playing more than others? Maybe it's their go to unwind game. That's pretty cool. Also; having several hundereds of hours in multiplayer games -- a lot of that is probably idle time and going out to hang out with friends and leaving the game running. That's the case for me with wild hour counts, anyway.
Yeah I definitely haven't played Mario Odyssey for 130+ hours.
I'm doing the same, just finished Reign and am moving into Return. Also read Lemire's Royal City which I liked although the ending felt rushed.

Writers don't know what to do with Diana in the context of the Trinity. Batman and Superman play off each other perfectly, and they both have fairly fleshed out "worlds", but Diana hasn't really had a strong relationship with either one that didn't cast her as the love struck wannabe girlfriend for either Batman (DCAU) or Superman (Kingdom Come). Patty's movies for better or worse are the things that's going to define a lot of Diana's lore going forward, because DC can't make up their minds on who WW should be.

Rucka's Rebirth run was fairly good and if DC had actually bothered to get a good creative team before running through a bunch of filler teams + Robinson it could've really been a launchpad. But just like Morrison's New 52 Action run, the follow up was rather weak. I really hope Orlando can turn the ship around.
This is why I think having a straight up World's Finest book that just has arcs or runs with characters running two at a time would be great. Batman/Superman is great, but I want a just World's Finest where it's just two characters for an arc or whatever. Wally and Dick; Ted and Booster; Donna and Roy; Jon and Damien; Diana and Bruce; Jaime and Static; Harley and Ivy, etc. I realize the more popular ones get books dedicated to them, but the others get overshadowed and it would be fun to see them get runs to them.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See I disagree with this. It would be great for him to finally look past his trauma and find happiness in whatever he does, or the people around him. The lack of batfamily in King's run is a huge wasted opportunity to show how people around the depressed person can help, especially after grant morrison's (?) theme about Batman finding happiness in family
I think there's a good discussion to be had here. Omega Men isn't really a superhero story. Does it use Kyle? Yes. But at what point is he the hero? He's being used and propped up as one, but for most of the story he's being held hostage and the "heroes" as we believe them to be are full blown terrorists. By the time Kyle does get to be the hero, and does help "save" the Vega system, the Omega Men merely assume the roles of the people they usurped. Killing and enslaving. Or being killed themselves. Nothing changes, really, just another regime. Kyle completely loses his faith, and so there's not really a superhero aspect to it at all. The baddest superhero moment in the whole book (Kyle becoming the Omega Lantern) ends up just leading to the most depressing realization at the very end.

But it's also nothing like Vision. Omega Men is psychological, yes, but it's about radicalism and the cycles of war and manipulation of people through faith and religion. Vision is about life and sentience and artificiality. But it's also not a superhero book. Aside from fending off Grim Reaper, I can't think of any real superhero moments in the book.

Yeah I definitely haven't played Mario Odyssey for 130+ hours.

This is why I think having a straight up World's Finest book that just has arcs or runs with characters running two at a time would be great. Batman/Superman is great, but I want a just World's Finest where it's just two characters for an arc or whatever. Wally and Dick; Ted and Booster; Donna and Roy; Jon and Damien; Diana and Bruce; Jaime and Static; Harley and Ivy, etc. I realize the more popular ones get books dedicated to them, but the others get overshadowed and it would be fun to see them get runs to them.
There once was a book called brave and bold...one of dcs best.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Higgins got mad at BC when it was first reported because he doesn't believe it and said that it caused a bunch of retailers to freak out in the DC retailer group.

I have to assume it's something WB wants for their future adaptations otherwise it's really shortsighted. I'm not nearly as attached to the legacy characters or Titans as a lot of people but even I can look at something like Teen Lantern becoming the new main GL and see how dumb it is.

I'd be curious how things would be if they elevated the actual existing characters to legacy status for a while, like Wally comes back, Donna/Cassie becomes WW, Dick becomes Batman... Maybe Didio and friends are worried it would be successful and go against what they've done.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I've called it DC You 2.0 repeatedly in the past, and I expect it will run as long as that did. So, one year.

so American Gods with WW instead of Shadow.
Essentially.

But Rucka's run is similar to what I'm talking about. Like Azzarello's run it's largely about Diana and her connection to the gods. Which you can only do for so long.

Tynion actually has a solid take, making Wonder Woman sort of a focal point of magic, which is usually Shazam or Dr. Fate, but honestly... why not? Shazam is a child and Fate is a background B-tier character.
Justice-League-Dark-Wonder-Woman-The-Witching-Hour-1-spoilers-7.jpg

This splits the big three among different facets of the DCU: Science for Superman, Street for Batman, and Magic for Wonder Woman.

I have to assume it's something WB wants for their future adaptations otherwise it's really shortsighted. I'm not nearly as attached to the legacy characters or Titans as a lot of people but even I can look at something like Teen Lantern becoming the new main GL and see how dumb it is.

I'd be curious how things would be if they elevated the actual existing characters to legacy status for a while, like Wally comes back, Donna/Cassie becomes WW, Dick becomes Batman... Maybe Didio and friends are worried it would be successful and go against what they've done.

If it's like DC You, it's basically marking time until the big relaunch, Rebirth 2.0.

Last edited:

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Will it take them an entire year after the Crisis to do a relaunch because that's how long it will take to actually understand the timeline they created? 🤔🤔🤔

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Fate would do better as the face of magic if DC didn't make him go crazy multiple times for reasons

I personally think Zatanna fits better over Diana anyway. If they want to make Diana have a niche I think something to do with gods, entities and pantheons work better. Something like a liaise between the league and actual gods.

But then again I have always preferred the magic side being slightly separated from the main cape universe

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Diane being magic, just give her direction, stick with it. Make amazonians high tech world, cause that shit's dope, but have it fused with magic. Give Wonder Woman a dope cast. Develop her god damn it.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just have it be reverse flash

IT WAS ME, DC UNIVERSE
Remember how Flashpoint makes no sense. Cause he undid what he did so time should revert back. But it fused three Earths. And then altered his too. And also someone helped split the timeline instead of purely rebooting it into two halves that can fuse to make a whole true timeline. And there are missing years taken by a naked blue man.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I also never really saw Superman as science. If I have to assign a niche/facet of the DCU to the big 3, it would be
Superman: Cosmic
Batman: Street
WW: Realms

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with Wonder Woman is what Brevoort is saying exactly - that she was conceptualized as something that DC would never be comfortable pushing nowadays. The pitch is: the world of the Amazons is BETTER than the world of man, and Wonder Woman is their ambassador. DC is not going to go to bat with the idea that a matriarchal society of submission to loving authority is how the world should be structured.

That's what I think the fundamental difference between Superman and Wonder Woman is (or should be) - Superman sees the world, and the people in it, as just needing his support. He's not there to fix the world's problems, he's just there to play firefighter on a global scale. The world's problems can and should be solved by the people in it. Wonder Woman sees the world as fundamentally broken, and as someone with the power to change it, she's obligated to try and fix it.

I liked it in New Frontier (with the women in cages in Indo-China), I liked it in Priest's Justice League run (with the question of how much the League should be intervening in a civil war in Buredunia), I like it in Morrison's Wonder Woman (which is VERY Golden Age in its conceptualization).

Diana is fundamentally political in a way you can't escape. You just have to lean into it.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
That's what I think the fundamental difference between Superman and Wonder Woman is (or should be) - Superman sees the world, and the people in it, as just needing his support. He's not there to fix the world's problems, he's just there to play firefighter on a global scale. The world's problems can and should be solved by the people in it. Wonder Woman sees the world as fundamentally broken, and as someone with the power to change it, she's obligated to try and fix it.
This is a good take. Superman represents the best in us, the highest potential and what we could be and therefore encourages us to be the best. By achieving our own best and maxing out our own potential, the world will naturally fix itself. Clark's just protecting it until it grows up. Diana is fixing it. She fights for love and enforces that peace that comes with it. It's not about hope and achieving potential like Clark, it's about simply loving each other and coming to peace, but in order to do that she has to wedge herself in there. She can't just fly around nurturing and protecting. She has to step in and genuinely intervene.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I also never really saw Superman as science. If I have to assign a niche/facet of the DCU to the big 3, it would be
Superman: Cosmic
Batman: Street
WW: Realms

Superman is an alien, but he only really works when rooted to people, hence Earth. Most of his classic villains are earthbound and rooted in science. Metallo, Parasite, Eradicator, the original version of Luthor. Take Intergang. All they are is mobsters, with the addition of alien tech.

Cosmic is GL.

Fate would do better as the face of magic if DC didn't make him go crazy multiple times for reasons

I personally think Zatanna fits better over Diana anyway. If they want to make Diana have a niche I think something to do with gods, entities and pantheons work better. Something like a liaise between the league and actual gods.

But then again I have always preferred the magic side being slightly separated from the main cape universe
Neither Zatanna nor Fate have the visibility. Magic subsumes god and monsters into it, which is essentially what JLDark is doing at the moment.

Being perfectly honest, Justice League Dark with WW at its head has been pretty great, and she fits naturally, while bringing a little more direct heroism to that cadre of heroes.
latest

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Superman is an alien, but he only really works when rooted to people, hence Earth. Most of his classic villains are earthbound and rooted in science. Metallo, Parasite, Eradicator, the original version of Luthor. Take Intergang. All they are is mobsters, with the addition of alien tech.

Cosmic is GL.

Neither Zatanna nor Fate have the visibility. Magic subsumes god and monsters into it, which is essentially what JLDark is doing at the moment.

Being perfectly honest, Justice League Dark with WW at its head has been pretty great, and she fits naturally, while bringing a little more direct heroism to that cadre of heroes.
Yeah, superman is earth based, but he also often represents earth on a cosmic scale in a way the GL do not, which I think "roots" Superman to Earth, but at a cosmic level. I agree that Superman should not be purely cosmic in the sense that the GL is, but as part of the trinity, he does skew cosmic more than the others.

And honestly, I feel that Zat and Fate lack visibility because DC doesn't push them enough. In JLD, I feel that "traditional magic" characters feel sidelined compared to Diana, especially Zatanna. In making Fate(or Nabu) go crazy again, they further take away Fate's potential to be a "face". I never felt the magic side of DC needed direct heroism in any way, so WW adds little for me, and in a way, she takes away from certain charcaters. That's all my personal preference though. I understand why Diana is pushed over Zatanna

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
I think the problem with Wonder Woman is what Brevoort is saying exactly - that she was conceptualized as something that DC would never be comfortable pushing nowadays. The pitch is: the world of the Amazons is BETTER than the world of man, and Wonder Woman is their ambassador. DC is not going to go to bat with the idea that a matriarchal society of submission to loving authority is how the world should be structured.

I liked it in New Frontier (with the women in cages in Indo-China), I liked it in Priest's Justice League run (with the question of how much the League should be intervening in a civil war in Buredunia), I like it in Morrison's Wonder Woman (which is VERY Golden Age in its conceptualization).

Diana is fundamentally political in a way you can't escape. You just have to lean into it.
Oh they're ALL political. But you are correct up to a point. Moreso than Flash, GL, or Cyborg definitely. Aquaman and Superman do occasionally get involved with the political sphere. Arthur obviously has taken hand in regime change for Atlantis while Superman tends to walk a fine line where he doesn't enact regime changes, but shit like President Lex definitely had him trying to undermine that guy every chance he got, and he did participate in a few protests right before the New 52 reboot. And of course New 52 Superman had no problem getting political and was straight up described as socialist by Morrison. Batman is also kind of willing to at least meddle in Gotham politics when he feels like it. He was putting the pressure to the mayor in Tynion's Tec run.

Diana is political, she SHOULD be an activist. But of course the status quo can't change that radically so Diana is never going to come close to achieving her goals. But her opening Women's Shelters like Winged Victory in Astro City does would be dope.

Anyone read New Years Evil?

I'm just back from a marathon of 12 films over 24 hours. Phew.
It was great. Loved the Joker and Toyman stories the most.

Diana being involved with the "Mystic" area of the DCU feels like a natural fit. She's never fit in with someone like Constantine, but she was borne of the Greek gods and one of her big foes is Circe so I do think making magic her corner has some merit. But I don't want magic to be her sole focus. Batman gets to have crazy scifi adventures and Superman gets to deal with street stuff every so often, so limiting Diana to JUST being the magic person would only limit her. But more of a focus on DC Magic beyond the gods squabbles is a-ok with me.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, superman is earth based, but he also often represents earth on a cosmic scale in a way the GL do not, which I think "roots" Superman to Earth, but at a cosmic level. I agree that Superman should not be purely cosmic in the sense that the GL is, but as part of the trinity, he does skew cosmic more than the others.

And honestly, I feel that Zat and Fate lack visibility because DC doesn't push them enough. In JLD, I feel that "traditional magic" characters feel sidelined compared to Diana, especially Zatanna. In making Fate(or Nabu) go crazy again, they further take away Fate's potential to be a "face". I never felt the magic side of DC needed direct heroism in any way, so WW adds little for me, and in a way, she takes away from certain charcaters. That's all my personal preference though. I understand why Diana is pushed over Zatanna

I disagree. Somewhere along the way all the DC magic characters became super shifty and untrustworthy. Diana being there changes that, but it also takes her out of her element. Magic could be her thing, but it is not her thing. She's got all these magic gifts but they were meant to show how special she was to a world of otherwise normal people, not to combat people who are magic in nature.

I agree that it's not required, but I think it works as a dynamic.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Tom King - I thought he absolutely nailed Superman up in the Sky. There were some who were worried that he didn't appreciate or get Superman, but the final issue eviscerated those concerns. Honestly, outside of All Star Superman I'm not sure that there's a run or mini-series I like more than Up in the Sky. Tomasi had a few single issues (the fair, for example) that were perhaps better, but those were often standout issues that were intermixed with good, but not great or in some cases bad issues. I hope that now that Up in the Sky and Batman Universe have wrapped we get to see more opportunities for short/contained takes on characters. King on GL, Kelly Sue on WW, Bendis on Aquaman, whatever.

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a week with the new thread so I'ma ping some regulars who haven't posted in a while just to make sure they're still healthy and because I miss them.

Awwww. Thank you! Sometimes it feels like I'm not a real part of the community because I post infrequently. Thanks so much.

I've been away because I am in my last week of grad school. You can call me Dr. Foofaraw next week if you are feeling nasty. And I went to see AEW live. Been real busy, but not so busy that I am not caught up on the X-books. I have come around on Excalibur. That books is very good. I've also come around on the art for X-Force.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Awwww. Thank you! Sometimes it feels like I'm not a real part of the community because I post infrequently. Thanks so much.

I've been away because I am in my last week of grad school. You can call me Dr. Foofaraw next week if you are feeling nasty. And I went to see AEW live. Been real busy, but not so busy that I am not caught up on the X-books. I have come around on Excalibur. That books is very good. I've also come around on the art for X-Force.
yo! that's all awesome, foof. and congratulations! still have some work to do or are you basically doing your victory lap?

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017

I never really thought about Wonder Woman being so difficult to write.

Sejic's Sunstone x Wonder Woman books is the thing we all need. (This isn't real. I'm trying to will it into reality.)

yo! that's all awesome, foof. and congratulations! still have some work to do or are you basically doing your victory lap?
As far as school goes, it is a victory lap. However, I still have to pass a board examination, so I will be studying full time for a little over a month. That does put me in a position to shit post here while studying all day for a month, though.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Death Stranding Me: gotta park this car as close as I can for deliveries.

also me: why are there vehicles in every fucking doorway?

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Awesome, congratulations. Done with the defense?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Oh they're ALL political. But you are correct up to a point. Moreso than Flash, GL, or Cyborg definitely. Aquaman and Superman do occasionally get involved with the political sphere. Arthur obviously has taken hand in regime change for Atlantis while Superman tends to walk a fine line where he doesn't enact regime changes, but shit like President Lex definitely had him trying to undermine that guy every chance he got, and he did participate in a few protests right before the New 52 reboot. And of course New 52 Superman had no problem getting political and was straight up described as socialist by Morrison. Batman is also kind of willing to at least meddle in Gotham politics when he feels like it. He was putting the pressure to the mayor in Tynion's Tec run.

Diana is political, she SHOULD be an activist. But of course the status quo can't change that radically so Diana is never going to come close to achieving her goals. But her opening Women's Shelters like Winged Victory in Astro City does would be dope.

It was great. Loved the Joker and Toyman stories the most.

Diana being involved with the "Mystic" area of the DCU feels like a natural fit. She's never fit in with someone like Constantine, but she was borne of the Greek gods and one of her big foes is Circe so I do think making magic her corner has some merit. But I don't want magic to be her sole focus. Batman gets to have crazy scifi adventures and Superman gets to deal with street stuff every so often, so limiting Diana to JUST being the magic person would only limit her. But more of a focus on DC Magic beyond the gods squabbles is a-ok with me.

It's kind of like how the central thesis of Morrison's Action Comics run ended up being that the original idea of Superman as a socialist trust buster has become incompatible with his nature as the IP of a billion dollar corporation

Foofaraw

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, congratulations. Done with the defense?
I'm getting a practice doctorate, so no defense. I feel very very fortunate in that regard. Several family and friends have gone through that process, and it seems like the absolute worst. My thesis is all done, I've presented on it multiple times. I'm done with my clinical rotations, and I just have to pass a board exam now. I say just, but in the cohort ahead of me, about half failed the first time they took it. Very excited to live in a library instead of a hospital for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.