• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who wins in a fight?

• Knull

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • The Batman Who LMAOs

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dont even know what I would list on a best of 2019 list, other than Lost Sector and Hox/PoX. I guess I would have to do some looking back to see what all I did read that came out this year.

Will manga be on the list too lol?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How was The White Trees? The art looks amazing. Looks like its just 2 issues. Was it a spin off of something? Says its from the world of Blacksand or something like that, but I dont see anything related to it when searching.

I think I have my list together, unless im forgetting something that came out this year that I read. Just need to decide on the order.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I WAS *TONIGHT* YEARS OLD WHEN I GOT TOLD PHILLIPS AND BRUBAKER'S "THE FADE OUT" WAS "WATCHMEN" FILTERED THROUGH THEIR OBSESSIONS WITH NOIR AND GOLDEN AGE HOLLYWOOD

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How was The White Trees? The art looks amazing. Looks like its just 2 issues. Was it a spin off of something? Says its from the world of Blacksand or something like that, but I dont see anything related to it when searching.

I think I have my list together, unless im forgetting something that came out this year that I read. Just need to decide on the order.
It was great! Too short, but a touching story with some really impressive worldbuilding. Also very horny.

May 24, 2019

Pretty sure it's the first thing of the thing, but they haven't announced any other things.
I hope they talked to Brandon Graham about trying to set up a fantasy world of comics at Image.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
#1 was Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction

Then the others

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! So I'd be interested in collating a COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year soon. To start the process off, would folk be interested in helping put together a nominations list of the best comics of 2019? No ranking involved yet, just a nomination process.

Basically, everyone here -- let's say at least users with at least 1 post in the thread -- can add 10 nominations to the list. Just add the comic title and then put your ResetEra name down next to the added comic. In addition to adding 10 comics, everyone can also "Second" up to 5 comics that are already listed. This is so the list doesn't grow outrageously large, so our nominations have an ounce of community approval. Once a comic has been seconded, it's on the list! Sound good?

Here's a link to the Google spreadsheet. If it turns into a disaster, well, it was worth a shot!

Notable rules:
- 10 Nominations per person (You have to add your ResetEra username to the "Added By" list)
- 5 "Seconded By" approvals per person (You have to add your ResetEra username to the "Seconded By" list)
- Add/second as few comics as you like. If you nominate one book and second none, that's ok!
- You can't second your own additions.
- Formatting is "Comic Title (By Writer and Artist)" but if there are multiple artists just skip that part or put the primary.
- As long as it was published in 2019, either fully or partially, any format is fine -- comic, graphic novel, manga, gas station bathroom stall graffiti. Reprints and collected editions of previously published works do not count. (Feel free to ask if this needs clarification!)
-*NEW* To make sure the nominations don't get futzed with, once I see a nomination completed I'll mark them green and then lock the cells so they can't be edited.

I'm actually just as interested, if not more, in COMICS!!! |OT|'s Must-Reads Comics of 2019 List as I am in our single top comic. But we'll get there eventually. Let's see how fast folk fill this out before we move on. Let's set an end date of Friday, December 20, and extend if enough folk haven't managed to find the time. Please provide feedback if you think any additional rules or changes need to be made!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
But I don't read comics. I post in the comics social club.

May 24, 2019
Made my picks. I left off Immortal Hulk cuz surely someone else'd include it.
edit: Shoulda reserved a space for this week's comics. Maybe Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad's gonna surprise the hell out of us. The Wonder Woman Black Label thing is probably gonna be rad too.

May 24, 2019
I should leave off this last Watchmen TV ep for a few days to experience it back to back with the last Doomsday Clock ish.
But I'll just watch it now.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your bendis tolerance. All the characters speak in the same bendis-speak. Art is good though
For me, it depends. I think he writes great street-level and crime comics, especially stuff like Jessica Jones, Scarlet and Pearl. Which are all coincidentally titled with the name of the main character. But when it comes to team books, I find that he can have issues finding a unique voice for each character.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
For me, it depends. I think he writes great street-level and crime comics, especially stuff like Jessica Jones, Scarlet and Pearl. Which are all coincidentally titled with the name of the main character. But when it comes to team books, I find that he can have issues finding a unique voice for each character.
As of the first issue, LOSH definitely has the unique voice problem

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

It was a book Zdarsky and Anka made because they had the time to write 2 issues. Zdarsky wants to do more in that universe, hence "A Blacksand tale"

Hey! So I'd be interested in collating a COMICS!!! |OT| Comic of the Year soon. To start the process off, would folk be interested in helping put together a nominations list of the best comics of 2019? No ranking involved yet, just a nomination process.

Basically, everyone here -- let's say at least users with at least 1 post in the thread -- can add 10 nominations to the list. Just add the comic title and then put your ResetEra name down next to the added comic. In addition to adding 10 comics, everyone can also "Second" up to 5 comics that are already listed. This is so the list doesn't grow outrageously large, so our nominations have an ounce of community approval. Sound good?

Here's a link to the Google spreadsheet. If it turns into a disaster, well, it was worth a shot!

Notable rules:
- 10 Nominations per person (You have to add your ResetEra username to the "Added By" list)
- 5 "Seconded By" approvals per person (You have to add your ResetEra username to the "Seconded By" list)
- Add/second as few comics as you like. If you nominate one book and second none, that's ok!
- You can't second your own additions.
- Formatting is "Comic Title (By Writer and Artist)" but if there are multiple artists just skip that part or put the primary.
- As long as it was published in 2019, either fully or partially, any format is fine -- comic, graphic novel, manga, gas station bathroom stall graffiti. Reprints and collected editions of previously published works do not count. (Feel free to ask if this needs clarification!)

I'm actually just as interested, if not more, in COMICS!!! |OT|'s Must-Reads Comics of 2019 List as I am in our single top comic. But we'll get there eventually. Let's see how fast folk fill this out before we move on. Let's set an end date of Friday, December 20, and extend if enough folk haven't managed to find the time. Please provide feedback if you think any additional rules or changes need to be made!
Can we second a comic that has been seconded by someone else? do we put it right next to it?
how do we do it

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was a book Zdarsky and Anka made because they had the time to write 2 issues. Zdarsky wants to do more in that universe, hence "A Blacksand tale"

Can we second a comic that has been seconded by someone else? do we put it right next to it?
how do we do it
Once a comic has been seconded, it has made the nomination list! So no need for more seconds. You can use yours to help another comic. Of course, folk can by all means add their names after just for emphasis, but let's say those aren't "locked." Any thirds, fourths, fifths, can be moved later if folk want to help a different comic get nominated.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Are you caught up? One Piece's current arc has one of the best comic villains around. I hate him, even more than Gladstone Gander.
Yup!
I feel like I haven't seen enough of this big bad to really form my opinion on him, though

Once a comic has been seconded, it has made the nomination list! So no need for more seconds. You can use yours to help another comic. Of course, folk can by all means add their names after just for emphasis, but let's say those aren't "locked." Any thirds, fourths, fifths, can be moved later if folk want to help a different comic get nominated.
ohhhh so that's how it works

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
also hoping for a translation of Tales of Rebirth and Tales of Destiny 2. I actually finished ToR with a translation guide but that's not an experience I want to do again.

Just heard about this series that started before Sakura Wars called Far East of Eden. I guess a fan translation was released for one of them a year or two ago. Had never heard of the series before, but they look awesome.

Havent tried it yet, but I also found out about this emulator called Retroarch. Have you or anyone else tried it? Guess it also has some sort of AI machine learning translation tools added recently. Its still super early, but if it can actually get to the point where it can translate games, then wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.