• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who wins in a fight?

• Knull

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • The Batman Who LMAOs

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Read the first volume of JLO. It was alright, going to see if the Abnett stuff is better tomorrow, which is what I've heard.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Just saw Booksmart finally, and Messi's lady did good work. It's kinda like a funny, more charming, smarter Superbad.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
speaking of which, where is the Sentry nowadays?
First two issues of Agents of Wakanda

He causes some wild nightmare shit. They beat him, Fat Cobra consumes the Void as though it were negative chi.
So got a question. Been asked by a friend where the best place to start is with reading Nightwing/Dick Grayson based comics. Basically they really like the character from various screen media and would like to start reading comics around Grayson, but I've no idea what to really suggest.

Does anyone have some suggestions on the best place to start and what collections might be worth picking up? It's mainly collections they're looking for at the moment, rather than picking up a currently ongoing series of individual issues.
Robin: Year One is quite frankly one of my favorite comics ever. It's fantastic. Written by Chuck Dixon, and oddly enough ties in to his Nightwing run in a plotline with a specific villain arc so if you read Robin: Year One you actually get a little bit more pay off and investment in that arc. It's just a fantastic run and got released in a Deluxe Hardcover last year, I think?

The Nightwing Complete Collections released by DC are a great run by Chuck Dixon. Essentially the definitive take on the character and creating one of the best dual identities in cop Nightwing ever There are 9 volumes, I believe. I forget exactly. Dixon does write a few issues later (100-105, I think?) in an arc referred to as Nightwing: Year One that has not been collected, sadly. I wish they would have with these Nightwing collections, but I'm not sure if DC will go past Dixon's run.

Grayson, as many have said, is pretty good, too. It has an omnibus that came out in 2018 or early 2019, or it has 4 TPB, I think? It's the only Grayson series. Quite frankly it's damn near perfect and I stand by that statement. Janin (on art), Seeley, and King doing career work. Not only that, but it's a phenomenal example of the superhero genre blending with another one. In this case, spy, and it really does feel spy-esque though I have talked to people who are big fans of spy stuff and they were disappointed by it because it wasn't "spy" enough basically. But I digress, it's phenomenal. I have it all in TPB.

Nightwing Rebirth by Tim Seeley , the 2016 run. has 5 volumes

Better Than Batman
Back in to Bludhaven
Nightwing Must Die
Blockbuster
Raptor's Revenge

Definitely a strong run that attempts to return Dick to the Nightwing status quo that he hasn't had since pre-Final Crisis. It's a good run and Seeley has a solid grasp on the character as established by his writing on Grayson, while he puts a new twist on old mythos and reintroduces some old storylines from Grayson and even Morrison's Batman run when Dick was Batman.

Nightwing (2016) Vol. 6, The Untouchable is by Sam Humphries. It's very standalone and is essentially a very fun action movie. I really like it. Art is phenomal and Baby Ruthless is a goddamned gem.

Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin which are runs in which Dick is Batman are also supposed to be extremely good, as is Wolfman's Titans which has Dick as Nightwing before his solo stuff, however I've never read any of that so I can't speak on it. But those are my recommendations, in that order.

I can't recommend recent Nightwing comics post-Humphries. The New 52 series by Kyle Higgins is...fine, particularly the first 3 volumes with Eddy Barrows on art and dealing with the Court of Owls, but it's so bogged down by tie-ins with Snyder's Batman events that it's just whatever. I also don't much care for Higgins' voice that he has for Dick. When he does eventually get to do his own thing, the art is nowhere near as good and the book is cut short with unresolved plotlines and once again, his characterization and voice for Dick is not one I care for, however it isn't a terrible comic and some people do enjoy it more than I do and it's definitely better than much of the recent offerings of the character. There's 5 volumes for that in TPB.
Probably the 90s series, it's the best one. Grayson is great but it relies a lot on DCU knowledge.
Does it really, though?
Reading Young Justice and I'm actually enjoying it? The Bendis dialogue actually kinda fits the tone and style here.
Impulse is made for Bendis before Bendis wrote Big Two comics.
Y'all, Moana is so fucking good.
Damn right.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I was watching near mint condition and he was previewing house of x power of x hardcover and he says it's really good,is it really?
Like the quality of the hardcover itself or the content?

Content, yes it's good. Quite Hickman-ish if you have significant reservations against that. You don't need much prior knowledge to jump in too. Avoid spoilers if you can
No idea about physical quality though

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Like the quality of the hardcover itself or the content?

Content, yes it's good. Quite Hickman-ish if you have significant reservations against that. You don't need much prior knowledge to jump in too. Avoid spoilers if you can
Yea the content is what I was talking about,that's good to hear I have too many dc omnibus and need more marvel,im already getting annihilation and will also get this aswell than.Thanks.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Savage Avengers has been better than the mainline avengers title for some time
(maybe the most recent star brand or whatever arc is better, I'm not reading it though), and Doom trying to woo Conan with food is peak Doom

This is...a take. The first three issues were mediocre af. At least Avengers had like dying Celestials and Avengers 1M BC.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
This is...a take. The first three issues were mediocre af. At least Avengers had like dying Celestials and Avengers 1M BC.
It got way better after that (esp after Deodato left). I would agree than the first major arc (5ish issues?) was really weak, but I'm glad I got convinced to pick the series back up recently. Instead of being a chore to get through with bland writing that lead to an overly dour and edgy tone, it morphed into a much more comedic tone and leaned harder on the fun comicbook action bit with in-team sparring. The pacing is also way better. Aaron's avengers comedic beats simply don't land as well for me and the team dynamics are not as fun as in recent SA. Not sure if you've read punisher kill krew, but it's quite similar to that now.

I would agree that the first four or so issues are below aaron's Avengers though

EDIT: and oh, Conan became the best part of every issue once he got a decent amount of focus. Book makes a nice case for how Conan can be very entertaining in the MU

Last edited:

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Black Widow looks like some Fast and Furious Presents: type stuff. Eh.

I fucking loved Hobbs & Shaw. Had so much fun with that movie, and it was everything I wanted it to be. Big dumb action for its own sake, and unabashedly into all that super-positive stuff about family and friendship.

I know there are people who didn't like it, but it makes me wonder why someone who wouldn't like that movie ever bought a ticket for it in the first place, because there was no false advertising there.

May 24, 2019
I enjoyed Hobbs but I think these Marvel side movies should really own different genres and tones and not just default to bombastic CG filled action movie. I don't think Black Widow had to be that.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I enjoyed Hobbs but I think these Marvel side movies should really own different genres and tones and not just default to bombastic CG filled action movie. I don't think Red Widow had to be that.
I think they do both. They do have a respectable range of genres and tones, but then they put bombastic CG action in all of them, no matter what they otherwise are.

I'm there for the characters, so I don't need a fraction of the bombast they give me, but I'm not turned off by it either.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It got way better after that (esp after Deodato left). I would agree than the first major arc (5ish issues?) was really weak, but I'm glad I got convinced to pick the series back up recently. Instead of being a chore to get through with bland writing that lead to an overly dour and edgy tone, it morphed into a much more comedic tone and leaned harder on the fun comicbook action bit with in-team sparring. The pacing is also way better. Aaron's avengers comedic beats simply don't land as well for me and the team dynamics are not as fun as in recent SA. Not sure if you've read punisher kill krew, but it's quite similar to that now.

I would agree that the first four or so issues are below aaron's Avengers though

EDIT: and oh, Conan became the best part of every issue once he got a decent amount of focus. Book makes a nice case for how Conan can be very entertaining in the MU

Okay, that's the response I needed. Especially since I've got to do an article on that book shortly and I wasn't super stoked about reading it lol.

Which turned out super boring.

....No? I mean the first arc wasn't great but I've enjoyed myself since then.

I enjoyed Hobbs but I think these Marvel side movies should really own different genres and tones and not just default to bombastic CG filled action movie. I don't think Black Widow had to be that.

I think it's going to be a bombastic spy film. And I'm not sure why anyone thought it'd be something else?

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I like every MCU movie (though a couple of them cut it close), so I don't think I trust anyone in franchise filmmaking as much as I trust Kevin Feige. A 23-movie streak is insane.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
First two issues of Agents of Wakanda

He causes some wild nightmare shit. They beat him, Fat Cobra consumes the Void as though it were negative chi.

Robin: Year One is quite frankly one of my favorite comics ever. It's fantastic. Written by Chuck Dixon, and oddly enough ties in to his Nightwing run in a plotline with a specific villain arc so if you read Robin: Year One you actually get a little bit more pay off and investment in that arc. It's just a fantastic run and got released in a Deluxe Hardcover last year, I think?

The Nightwing Complete Collections released by DC are a great run by Chuck Dixon. Essentially the definitive take on the character and creating one of the best dual identities in cop Nightwing ever There are 9 volumes, I believe. I forget exactly. Dixon does write a few issues later (100-105, I think?) in an arc referred to as Nightwing: Year One that has not been collected, sadly. I wish they would have with these Nightwing collections, but I'm not sure if DC will go past Dixon's run.

Grayson, as many have said, is pretty good, too. It has an omnibus that came out in 2018 or early 2019, or it has 4 TPB, I think? It's the only Grayson series. Quite frankly it's damn near perfect and I stand by that statement. Janin (on art), Seeley, and King doing career work. Not only that, but it's a phenomenal example of the superhero genre blending with another one. In this case, spy, and it really does feel spy-esque though I have talked to people who are big fans of spy stuff and they were disappointed by it because it wasn't "spy" enough basically. But I digress, it's phenomenal. I have it all in TPB.

Nightwing Rebirth by Tim Seeley , the 2016 run. has 5 volumes

Better Than Batman
Back in to Bludhaven
Nightwing Must Die
Blockbuster
Raptor's Revenge

Definitely a strong run that attempts to return Dick to the Nightwing status quo that he hasn't had since pre-Final Crisis. It's a good run and Seeley has a solid grasp on the character as established by his writing on Grayson, while he puts a new twist on old mythos and reintroduces some old storylines from Grayson and even Morrison's Batman run when Dick was Batman.

Nightwing (2016) Vol. 6, The Untouchable is by Sam Humphries. It's very standalone and is essentially a very fun action movie. I really like it. Art is phenomal and Baby Ruthless is a goddamned gem.

Black Mirror by Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin which are runs in which Dick is Batman are also supposed to be extremely good, as is Wolfman's Titans which has Dick as Nightwing before his solo stuff, however I've never read any of that so I can't speak on it. But those are my recommendations, in that order.

I can't recommend recent Nightwing comics post-Humphries. The New 52 series by Kyle Higgins is...fine, particularly the first 3 volumes with Eddy Barrows on art and dealing with the Court of Owls, but it's so bogged down by tie-ins with Snyder's Batman events that it's just whatever. I also don't much care for Higgins' voice that he has for Dick. When he does eventually get to do his own thing, the art is nowhere near as good and the book is cut short with unresolved plotlines and once again, his characterization and voice for Dick is not one I care for, however it isn't a terrible comic and some people do enjoy it more than I do and it's definitely better than much of the recent offerings of the character. There's 5 volumes for that in TPB.

Does it really, though?

Impulse is made for Bendis before Bendis wrote Big Two comics.

Damn right.
This is fantastic help!
Thank you!

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
I havent been reading Doomsday Clock, but apparently Alfred is alive in it? So he was "killed" in King's Batman a few months ago, but hes alive and well in the "near future" in Doomsday Clock lol.

EDIT: Also about bringing in the JSA now, instead of waiting:

Ye Alfred was in the previous issue. DC timeline/canon is just a fucking disaster.

I'd really like to read a behind the scenes story about the making of Doomsday Clock.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's not like Alfred will stay dead anyway... they just need to bring him back sooner now lol

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Y'all, Moana is so fucking good.
It is. I was seriously impressed. I didn't expect to like the songs as much as I did. I loved Tangled but Moana is just amazing. "How far I'll go" is too good.
Just saw Booksmart finally, and Messi's lady did good work. It's kinda like a funny, more charming, smarter Superbad.
I liked it a lot but I still think Superbad is much better. I enjoyed seeing it from the perspective of 2 females though, since those types of movies are awful about representation.
Just finished Castlevania S2. That was a Warren Ellis ass show.
Yeah. You can tell it's got his style all over it. I hope he does as many seasons as he wants.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Vinland Saga Vol. 11 is on CMX for half off and I'm stuck here waiting for the $30 hardcover that won't be out for another week.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

This looks way better than I had expected it too. Looks like its set some time after Civil War? I thought it was a flashback movie set before the Avengers, but its probably just going to have flashback scenes here and there.

Whatever happened to that MAnabyte guy btw? Not that I care, was just curious why I dont see his threads every other day anymore lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The only ban I see is a 5 day ban, did it get escalated or something? Just curious, sorry.

I saw that guy on the old site when I went to look at that thread they have about this place. That's an upsetting place to look at. So much hatred and toxicity.
Holy shit, he did just move back to the other place lol.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Manabyte would always play fast and lose with the truth to push a narrative. Multiple times he'd post something that if you took two seconds to look into, you'd see was BS, but he'd never correct it. I remember once time specifically he posted a tweet from someone who worked on the X-Men films where she was cursing out some people and made it seem like she was angry that X-Men was being poorly reviewed but if you clicked her profile, it's clear she was cursing out some alt-rights and had nothing to do with the reviews.

I called him out on it on ERA but the dude never acknowledged it and kept up all the re-tweets to stir shit up for clicks.
The only ban I see is a 5 day ban, did it get escalated or something? Just curious, sorry.
He had a meltdown on Twitter about the ban so they made it a permaban.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
He had a meltdown on Twitter about the ban so they made it a permaban.
Oh that makes sense. Looks like he just moved on over to the old place and is just shit talking Era, along with all his MCU threads lol. Thats a great fit.

I like how everyone who gets perma-banned here just moves back over there like nothing happened. Its always the over zealous mod's fault, and never their own. Theres an entire thread thats still going just dedicated to trash talking Era lol.

They must be trying to inflate their user numbers, because they apparently un-banned my old account that got a perma lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.