• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who wins in a fight?

• Knull

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • The Batman Who LMAOs

Votes: 39 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Mana melted down over the Spidey split and something related to Star Wars and he got banned here. Not shocked he jumped to the other place.

Movie looks fine, Harbour is already looking like a buff goof.

I do wonder if her fate in Endgame will affect this movies BO.

This will be a interesting year for cape films.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in the other thread was speculating that this movie would introduce a "new" Black Widow, who would take Nat's place in the MCU. I assume it would be her "sister" in that trailer. But im not sure they need a new Black Widow. Hell, do Mockingbird instead!

Also, Harbor looks like he should have been the Bear from the Winter Guard lol.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Someone in the other thread was speculating that this movie would introduce a "new" Black Widow, who would take Nat's place in the MCU. I assume it would be her "sister" in that trailer. But im not sure they need a new Black Widow. Hell, do Mockingbird instead!

Also, Harbor looks like he should have been the Bear from the Winter Guard lol.

Nat clones.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I don't really see why you need a "new" Black Widow. The character has offered next to nothing to the actual movies other than giving Marvel a chance to include a woman. Would rather the team get really shaken up.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I don't really see why you need a "new" Black Widow. The character has offered next to nothing to the actual movies other than giving Marvel a chance to include a woman. Would rather the team get really shaken up.
Varies from movie to movie. She was genuinely great in Winter Soldier.

She's too soft in a lot of the MCU movies. In Winter Soldier, there was some danger to her.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Varies from movie to movie. She was genuinely great in Winter Soldier.

She's too soft in a lot of the MCU movies. In Winter Soldier, there was some danger to her.

auntie nat in age of ultron was nice

chair scene in og avengers is still legit

uFrY5D4.gif

being there for steve at peggy's funeral even though she knew they were on different sides 😭

and giving happy hogan the business in iron man 2

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

This looks way better than I had expected it too. Looks like its set some time after Civil War? I thought it was a flashback movie set before the Avengers, but its probably just going to have flashback scenes here and there.

Whatever happened to that MAnabyte guy btw? Not that I care, was just curious why I dont see his threads every other day anymore lol.

There is a very CGI deaged Thunderbolt Ross in there. Pretty sure it takes place before any of the post-Iron Man MCU stuff. So at the latest, post-Captain Marvel, pre-Iron Man. Pretty sure I heard 80's when the initial announcement info dropped though, yeah?

The blonde is Yelena Belova, most likely. The other might be Red Widow.

I'm wondering if they'll at least hint at Nadia Pym, since she was part of the Red Room and this movie looks like it's just gonna be a Marvel Russia movie.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Nat is sorely underutilized in the film's. In a way that has left her feeling like a diversity toss in.

She needed this movie to flesh her out way, WAY before now.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
auntie nat in age of ultron was nice

chair scene in og avengers is still legit

uFrY5D4.gif

being there for steve at peggy's funeral even though she knew they were on different sides 😭

and giving happy hogan the business in iron man 2
I like a lot of what they've done with her in the moment, but when I look at the broad view of it, I wish they had some other female characters so they didn't have to put so much on her. Every single thing they wanted to do with a female character fell on her because there was no one else to put any of it on, so she felt like three different characters.

And really Black Widow never really belonged being a core Avenger. But it was the same thing, where she was the biggest woman they had, so she had to take that on too, whether it was appropriate or not.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering if they'll at least hint at Nadia Pym, since she was part of the Red Room and this movie looks like it's just gonna be a Marvel Russia movie.

Nadia is completely intended to be the comics' version of Hope, so I don't there'd be much point in that. Her name literally means "hope" in Russian.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Nat is sorely underutilized in the film's. In a way that has left her feeling like a diversity toss in.

She needed this movie to flesh her out way, WAY before now.
I think that's over exaggerating, but yes she never did get the deep dive into her back story that was clearly being set up in Age of Ultron and never got a follow through until now, 8 years later AD. Sad, but we're getting it now.

"Sorely underutilized" in regards to the MCU has a picture of Clint Barton next to it, and he's getting a D+ series.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Black Widow was great in Winter Soldier because she's written as a spy first and a woman second. She plays well off of straight-laced Cap. I'm generally a Whedon fan, but his approach to her was pretty awful - like something 20 years out of date. So many of her lines, dramatic and comedic, just revolve around being "the girl" of the team.

And after that she was just too small a part of the ensemble to matter, and I don't really love Johansson in the role to begin with. She's definitely the least interesting part of that trailer... that and lame Taskmaster.

But I do love that they're going with goofy Russian accents. I miss Scarlet Witch's vaguely Eastern European one.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's over exaggerating, but yes she never did get the deep dive into her back story that was clearly being set up in Age of Ultron and never got a follow through until now, 8 years later AD. Sad, but we're getting it now.

"Sorely underutilized" in regards to the MCU has a picture of Clint Barton next to it, and he's getting a D+ series.
I think Ahsoka put it best by saying she was filling more roles than just one be being the only woman on the team. That's the only thing they did with her for years.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I like a lot of what they've done with her in the moment, but when I look at the broad view of it, I wish they had some other female characters so they didn't have to put so much on her. Every single thing they wanted to do with a female character fell on her because there was no one else to put any of it on, so she felt like three different characters.

And really Black Widow never really belonged being a core Avenger. But it was the same thing, where she was the biggest woman they had, so she had to take that on too, whether it was appropriate or not.
They were drawing from the Ultimates more than classic Avengers for their lineup for the films
Nadia is completely intended to be the comics' version of Hope, so I don't there'd be much point in that. Her name literally means "hope" in Russian.
But doesn't Hope already exist in the comics? I mean MC2, but still.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That tweet about how Mara Jade is just a Whedon character created twenty years early floored me.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Fantastic Four grand design supposed to be as funny as I am finding it?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
But doesn't Hope already exist in the comics? I mean MC2, but still.

Nadia's still intended as the 616, non-evil version of that character that's much closer to the movies' portrayal. That's why her introduction came around the Ant-Man movie and why she starred with Scott in the Ant-Man & the Wasp comic that came out around that movie.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I don't think my TL can take so much snark and negativity. I already post on WrassleEra, I think I'm maxed out.
That was my issue too. I've read that guy's tweets, and it's not even that I think he's wrong about things, but there's a tremendous amount of negativity there. I don't like actively thinking about what's wrong with everything 24/7. It takes a huge toll, mentally.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my TL can take so much snark and negativity. I already post on WrassleEra, I think I'm maxed out.
He's really not that negative lol

If your impression of him is just the tweets that get linked here you're going like a thin slice of him. He enjoys and praises things all the time.

And I thought wrestle era was a good community. What happened, Sage? Did you finally see the dude of them I've known all this time? 😂

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
He enjoys and praises things all the time.
It isn't that he never posts anything positive, it's that there's a high volume of negative. I mean, he tweets a lot, so even if it was like 5% negativity, that would still be a lot of negativity.

The way I would describe it is that if he has a problem with anything, he'll say so every single time, and go into detail about why that is. And it's like...sometimes you gotta just let things go. Everything that's wrong doesn't need to be remarked upon.

Edit: The other things is that he will routinely buy/read comics he knows he isn't going to like, and then shits on them. That turns me off of wanting to follow a person immediately.

Last edited:

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps it's a moderation thing cuz I'm not looking at comics and games Twitter all that often these days.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see Marvel is continuing to push the harmful narrative that Havok is worth reading about.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
My Dad somehow broke my computer chair

This is my villain origin story

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the Lucifer Omnibus Vol. 1! It was a solid read, though not as good as The Sandman or its partner spin-off, Hellblazer. I feel like it's trying to imitate The Sandman's story structure, but unlike how Gaiman has a clear love for all of the stories that inspire his work, there's no real depth of knowledge or love for religion or spirituality through most of the story. In fact, it's best when it tries harder to be that. The story with the Buddhist who rediscovers her love of life after her husband tries to persuade her to erase her existence to reach nirvana is one of my favorites. And all of the Ormston-drawn one-shots.

Mentioning art, I was actually not a huge fan of Gross+Kelly. Some panels could really pop, but a lot of them are left very sloppy. Basically any time a character is supposed to express emotion, the art falls flat. I think the story benefited a lot more from a diverse range of artists early on to help create an air of fantastic surrounding all the demons and creatures that show up issue to issue. As the series went on Gross+Kelly's art became more stagnant and the story lost a lot of energy as a result.

What makes Lucifer such an enjoyable read is Mike Carey's storytelling. The pacing of one-shots followed by 3-4 issue arcs works really well, constantly introducing new ideas and characters to have fun with. And each arc is additive to the overall story, much like Sandman did so well. Characters and ideas aren't put to bed, but rather left in the sandbox where they constantly wander back into the story. It's very compelling and often quite emotionally engaging. Characters like Mazikeen, Michael, Meleos, Jill Presto, Rudd and Lys, and Elaine Belloc. Oh man, Elaine. It's really her story in a lot of meaningful ways.

I do want to add that I think Lucifer himself wasn't written to his full potential. It's clear Carey wanted Lucifer to be a Dream surrogate -- mysterious, powerful, more of a motivator for the story than a protagonist. But where Dream's powers, actions, and motivations were constantly being questioned and developed, Lucifer's are often lacking. Sandman was so heavily about Dream warring against himself, becoming more human. Lucifer seems opposite, with him starting as an interesting, humanized character after his interactions with Dream, only to be shown more and more to be the Will of God set free. He does things to service his plans. His plans are never given purpose outside of being his will. Where Sandman created deeply empathetic stories which brought Dream closer to us, Lucifer's stories feel like they're further creating detatchment between him and the reader. And while there may be value in that as an idea, it dulls the moment to moment experience.

Luckily, while Lucifer himself isn't much of a protagonist, I do very much care about the vast majority of the other characters in the story. Hopefully, Lucifer Vol. 2 Omnibus gets solicited soon.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Love this

Sad that she is stuck doing that Spider-man ego project

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Nadia's still intended as the 616, non-evil version of that character that's much closer to the movies' portrayal. That's why her introduction came around the Ant-Man movie and why she starred with Scott in the Ant-Man & the Wasp comic that came out around that movie.
Is she? I haven't seen Ant-Man and the Wasp yet (I know, right?), but Hope in Ant-Man isn't really like Nadia. Hope felt more cynical and jaded.

I think the more important contribution to the MCU would be the Red Room having Pym Particles
I see Marvel is continuing to push the harmful narrative that Havok is worth reading about.
Someone somewhere must stop this.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that read X-Men Inferno earlier this year, I am shocked Nanny and Orphan Maker are making headlines in 2019.

Also big Omni day! Injustice and Annihilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.