• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who is your favourite comics publisher?

• Marvel

• DC

• Shonen Jump (best boy Bakugo)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What are Jeff Lemire's best works?
Black Hammer, Descender, and Green Arrow/Old Man Logan?

Also, read UXM #12 tonight. Thought it started out alot better this issue, then things started to go downhill pretty quickly. Where did all these people get this virus from that were locked up? That didnt happen in a mini or anything did it?

Wonder when Hope Summers makes her appearance. I kinda figured she would be more important considering how Age of X-Man portrays her.

Last edited:

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
God, it just struck me that Last Knight On Earth is coming out 5 years after Future's End: Batman and Detective Comics #27, both stories dealing with Bruce clones in the future and the Future's End one specifically had a "5 Years In The Future" caption. Did Snyder plan this?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
God, it just struck me that Last Knight On Earth is coming out 5 years after Future's End: Batman and Detective Comics #27, both stories dealing with Bruce clones in the future and the Future's End one specifically had a "5 Years In The Future" caption. Did Snyder plan this?
Its a continuation of sorts of one of tthose. The one that had a story that was drawn by SGM, who was supposed to return to draw this story as well but backed out when he got White Knight. But yea, this has been in the planning for awhile now.

EDIT: Looks like it was in Detective #27, but was also included in Batman vol. 9. The story is called Twenty Seven.

Last edited:

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Its a continuation of sorts of one of tthose. The one that had a story that was drawn by SGM, who was supposed to return to draw this story as well but backed out when he got White Knight. But yea, this has been in the planning for awhile now.
I think its both. FE one was "In Five Years Things Will Go Wrong And Batman Starts Trying Clones" and Detective #27 was "200 Years Later The Newest Clone Sets Out On Its 27 Year Life"

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
What are Jeff Lemire's best works?

Also, read UXM #12 tonight. Thought it started out alot better this issue, then things started to go downhill pretty quickly. Where did all these people get this virus from that were locked up? That didnt happen in a mini or anything did it?

Wonder when Hope Summers makes her appearance. I kinda figured she would be more important considering how Age of X-Man portrays her.

That was the ending to New Mutants Dead Souls. Guido, Dani, Magik, Rahne, and Shan all got Warlocked. Basically Warlock got beat up and infected some kid, who then blew up his house so Dani went to investigate and got infected. Then Shan allowed everyone else to get infected to turn over to the government or something? and then got infected herself. It was pretty weird. I don't think the explanation as to why they were at the facility actually lines up at all with the end of the mini lol, it looked like they were planning some shit but then they apparently just turned themselves in to the obviously evil government organization.

edit: I just looked and there also some 100% Warlock clones or some shit of Sunspot, Cypher, and Magma? I guess they just disappeared. Good thing this semi-interesting plotline was dropped for more edge-of-extinction crap.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That was the ending to New Mutants Dead Souls. Guido, Dani, Magik, Rahne, and Shan all got Warlocked. Basically Warlock got beat up and infected some kid, who then blew up his house so Dani went to investigate and got infected. Then Shan allowed everyone else to get infected to turn over to the government or something? and then got infected herself. It was pretty weird. I don't think the explanation as to why they were at the facility actually lines up at all with the end of mini lol, it looked like they were planning some shit but then they apparently just turned themselves in to the obviously evil government organization.
Ok lol, thanks for the explanation. It felt like it had to be from something. Atleast it makes sense then why these mutants/X-Men didnt end up in Age of X-Man aswell. Although Im pretty sure Magik was in the UXM weekly lol.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
They ended Hellblazer back in 2013, then changed the authentic Constantine into a kind of kindler, gentler, kid-friendly version for the DCU proper. Prior to that, they stopped including the actual DCU in the Vertigo comics back in the 90's.
He was kind of a selfish twat in Convergence so there's that. I think I prefer the newer Constantine to the old fuckboy

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
My ice cold take is that UXM should've totally followed the more optimistic vibe we got from the Annual with Cyclops return. Rather than genocide death extinction darkness yada yada it should've been like a Whedon's Astonishing tone. All the "best" mutants are dead and gone but we're still here and we're going to show humanity that mutants are awesome by saving people. You could even give a homage to Astonishing #1 for cheap nostalgia points.

QqXUxTE.jpg

Like that except you have the major X-Men that are still left. And you could start it off with an arc about the follow-up to the Warlocked New Mutants that's more than the nothing we got in #12. I wonder if it was Rosenberg's idea to make the status quo so dark or if that was the original plan after Disassembled. Like we've mentioned before the tonal shift between the Annual and #11 is really jarring. And it's not like you can't still address issues of racism and oppression, but you can work harder to keep it more personal and relatable rather than "literally everyone on Earth is trying to kill all the mutants".

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree. But apparently there were other people online shitting on the UXM Annual, or more specifically, how Cyclops was written in the issue. I guess he was too optimistic or something? They thought Marvel was trying to erase everything that lead to his death lol. Because Cyclops cant change after having an actual death experience...

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Cyclops in the Annual was the idea that he did anything wrong. Contrasted with the anti-mutant rally watched over by Captain America, it put a bad taste in my mouth.

But he's back and I liked the issue overall.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Captain America would stand guard at Trump rallies? He would almost have to right?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That Black order mini has really done a lot for that group.

I still don't really care for Glaive or Maw, but I've grown a real appreciation for Black Dwarf.

Proxima and Swan remain super cool.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can second Lemire's Moon Knight

I also read Roghneck and I thought that was pretty meh. I don't know if it was the art or the pacing or what but it felt like the tone and subject matter that they were going for wasn't justified by what the book actually ended up being. it just felt hollow, I don't know. like the emotional beats were supposed to resonate just because. might be just me, I haven't seen that book talked about too much just read it because I like Lemire's stuff

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Tonights episode of Gotham was great. Like an adaptation of Joker's origin in all but name, while also being an origin for Batman somewhat also. Harley was in it too, but they call her Echo in the show lol since they cant use their names.

Ill give Lemire's Moonknight a shot. Ive never read anything with the character though so im not sure if thats the best starting point. Seems crazy how far Lemire has come since Sweet Tooth, or rather how fast.

I want to check out Descender again before Ascender comes out, I just wasnt a fan of the water coloring the first time around. Also hear great things about Gideon Falls but still dont know what its actually about lol.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very glad that Saladin stuck to his promise of every Miles arc having an original villain, this one's powers are really disgustingly specific, dude is instantly hateable.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting how two of Marvel's best ongoings that are sci-fi horror involving an intimate and closely bonded relationship between two characters: Eddie Brock and the Venom symbiote, and Bruce Banner and Hulk.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I've been interested in anything Saladin ever since reading Black Bolt.

Black Bolt speaks for itself really. I was super impressed with his Quicksilver mini, and Exiles was loads of fun an introduced some really great alternate characters. I'm really happy he's taking over Kamala, too. He's carving out a great little niche for himself.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Bolt speaks for itself really. I was super impressed with his Quicksilver mini, and Exiles was loads of fun an introduced some really great alternate characters. I'm really happy he's taking over Kamala, too. He's carving out a great little niche for himself.
Honestly I'm quite glad he didn't turn out to be a one trick "sad older man" writer when it comes to cape comics.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try High Level #1? The art is by Barnaby Bagenda from Omega Men. Curious about it.

Also the rest of the TKO books are now on CMX.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Very glad that Saladin stuck to his promise of every Miles arc having an original villain, this one's powers are really disgustingly specific, dude is instantly hateable.

I didn't know that was his goal, that's awesome.

The future is looking pretty bright for Miles, we just have to hope they don't botch the fallout from what happened in Champions or the story that's coming out of he FCBD issue. But Ahmed's a good enough writer as long as he's invovled it should be alright.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try High Level #1? The art is by Barnaby Bagenda from Omega Men. Curious about it.

Also the rest of the TKO books are now on CMX.
Nice, I still want to pick up the Fearsome Dr. Fang. Looks like they just have the tpb for it though atm, they offer the first issue free usually.

I picked up High Level but still havent read it yet.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Viz's free comic book day issue is made for me lol

222154_1281354_30.jpg

MY HERO ACADEMIA/THE PROMISED NEVERLAND — FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2019
VIZ Media

(W) Kaiu Shirai & Various (A) Kaiu Shirai, Kouhei Horikoshi (CA) Kouhei Horikoshi, Kaiu Shirai

My Hero Academia: What would the world be like if 80 percent of the population manifested superpowers called "Quirks"? Heroes and villains would be battling it out everywhere! Being a hero would mean learning to use your power, but where would you go to study? The Hero Academy of course! But what would you do if you were one of the 20 percent who were born Quirkless?

The Promised Neverland: Life at Grace Field House is good for Emma and her fellow orphans. While the daily studying and exams they have to take are tough, their loving caretaker provides them with delicious food and plenty of playtime. But perhaps not everything is as it seems…
Rating: Teen

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all of Ahmed's work at Marvel, I find his Exiles book to be the absolute weakest one. The focus is too much on wacky adventures in crazy worlds and less on characters. The overarching plot also takes a backseat sometimes. I mean, I guess that's what we were told to expect from the man himself but I hoped it wasn't the absolute focus. The book is saved by it's amazing and colorful art. Also Blink's dialogue just makes me roll my eyes.
There was an interview with Judd Winick back in 2014 that if he was asked to do Exiles again, he would come back to Marvel. I hope that's still the case but I'm not holding my breath.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame about the Border Town shit, since aside from that Vertigo ha s the most solid lineup it's had in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.