COMICS!!! |OT| February 2020 | Perfect for people that don't understand the complex 3 act structure/have a business degree

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, the first x-men event is going to be nasty on my wallet. 15 issues?
We are guessing it's a weekly series like no surrender, but yeah.

That or it's contained as crossovers in the currently releasing books.

Yeah that really changed things. Did her having SAD stick at all?
Doesn't really come up anymore. The recent mini with Harley had a bit of her mood being affected and her personality being all messed up.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So X-Men Giant Emma and Jean is just Dautermann styling on people for 30 pages? I read these issues are basically designed to let the artist do their thing and that makes sense after reading this. Beautiful book starring the 3 most beautiful X Women.

I'm just a bit confused about the Children of the Atom stuff. Did that happen when they were trying to get X-23 into the vault? I don't remember anything happening to storm.

Dautermann is a king. I wonder what he's up to next.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So X-Men Giant Emma and Jean is just Dautermann styling on people for 30 pages? I read these issues are basically designed to let the artist do their thing and that makes sense after reading this. Beautiful book starring the 3 most beautiful X Women.

I'm just a bit confused about the Children of the Atom stuff. Did that happen when they were trying to get X-23 into the vault? I don't remember anything happening to storm.

Dautermann is a king. I wonder what he's up to next.
He's doing the storm issue next.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
How often are these Giant-Size X-Men's going to come around?
There's five issues:
Dauterman Jean and Emma this month
Alan Davis Nightcrawler in March
Ramon Perez Magneto in April
Dauterman Storm early May
Rod Reis Fantomex late May

After that the book is done unless Hickman plans on doing more sometime down the road.

Monthly. Next is Nightcrawler with Alan Davis

Magneto is April with art by the awesome Ben Oliver

Ben Oliver had to drop off the book for personal reasons.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's five issues:
Ben Oliver Magneto in April

After that the book is done unless Hickman plans on doing more sometime down the road.
I hadn't heard about Storm. Dautermann would kill that obviously. But man... What if it had been Jen. Just one issue. Still Dautermann is incredible.

Get Bachalo to do Emma or Magik 😂. Maybe Andrade for Magik.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Monthly. Next is Nightcrawler with Alan Davis

Magneto is April with art by the awesome Ben Oliver
There's five issues:

I may pop in for that Storm on, though.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's five issues:

Ben Oliver had to drop off the book for personal reasons.
Ramon Perez ain't a good replacement for Oliver lol

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
We’ve had this conversation in this community, but legit it’s almost impossible to think of any memorable villains within the past decade. With any staying power. Court of Owls? Batman Who Laughs?

Seriously go through 2010-2019.

I mean I’ll stan for the First Victim all day.
Did Knull exist before Aaron's run on Thor? He's had surprising staying power. Especially considering that he's been used for different characters and by different creators. Elevates him above a single writer's pet character.

Also, Bendis tried to make the Hood a bigger deal. Never really caught on, but he's relatively higher profile.

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
Caught up with this week's X-books, and while I really liked X-Men, there's a tiny nagging suspicion that this isn't meant to be read as messed up as it is. Like, we all see it as intentionally offputting and deliberately unsettling, but...it could just be Hickman being Hickman. It seems cult-like, but he might just be earnestly depicting what he thinks a mutant culture should/could/would look like. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop, but Hickman's got both feet firmly on the ground.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with this week's X-books, and while I really liked X-Men, there's a tiny nagging suspicion that this isn't meant to be read as messed up as it is. Like, we all see it as intentionally offputting and deliberately unsettling, but...it could just be Hickman being Hickman. It seems cult-like, but he might just be earnestly depicting what he thinks a mutant culture should/could/would look like. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop, but Hickman's got both feet firmly on the ground.
This is my other concern

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
I hope so. I don't want to see the X-Men embrace a "master race" narrative in such a full-throated way for too long.

The weird panel with Douglock and Doug/Warlock establish that there's definitely something weird going on.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck?

So it was an accident? What's wrong with a warning, then?
I’d ask what that means, but I won’t like the answer either way
Doesn't really come up anymore. The recent mini with Harley had a bit of her mood being affected and her personality being all messed up.
Shame. I’m not much of an Ivy fan. She was never a very interesting character and this recent push to turn her more anti-villain possibly anti-heroine because of her association with Harley doesn’t sit well with me, but honestly that bit of character development was interesting and added some layers I really appreciated.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I read the last two issues of Superman Smashes the Klan. Really enjoyed it. Love the three little trades too. Glad I have it in this format, because if they collect it in a thick trade, I doubt it will have the nice thick paper stock that these single issue trades do.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I’d ask what that means, but I won’t like the answer either way

Shame. I’m not much of an Ivy fan. She was never a very interesting character and this recent push to turn her more anti-villain possibly anti-heroine because of her association with Harley doesn’t sit well with me, but honestly that bit of character development was interesting and added some layers I really appreciated.
The last push she got had her getting murdered, reborn and then breaking up with her gal pal. I guess it's this or she goes back to not existing again.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Did Knull exist before Aaron's run on Thor? He's had surprising staying power. Especially considering that he's been used for different characters and by different creators. Elevates him above a single writer's pet character.

Also, Bendis tried to make the Hood a bigger deal. Never really caught on, but he's relatively higher profile.
The Hood’s been in the street stuff. He’s the main guy in Hawkeye Freefall and he was in Williamson’s Illuminati in 2015. I’d say he caught on, but that’s pre 2010z

Knull is definitely just 2018 and newer. Really because of Donny Cates and then Aaron with the War of the Realms name drop. I dunno if Knull is actually that impressive. Like we joke about him here, but he’s just kinda whatever. Great design and origin, but he also feels like just another “ancient cosmic god.”

Oh, that reminds me though, Gorr the God Butcher!
The last push she got had her getting murdered, reborn and then breaking up with her gal pal. I guess it's this or she goes back to not existing again.
I suppose it could be looked at that way

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
The Hood’s been in the street stuff. He’s the main guy in Hawkeye Freefall and he was in Williamson’s Illuminati in 2015. I’d say he caught on, but that’s pre 2010z

Knull is definitely just 2018 and newer. Really because of Donny Cates and then Aaron with the War of the Realms name drop. I dunno if Knull is actually that impressive. Like we joke about him here, but he’s just kinda whatever. Great design and origin, but he also feels like just another “ancient cosmic god.”

Oh, that reminds me though, Gorr the God Butcher!
Oh man, this entire time I had conflated Gorr and Knull into the same character.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ivy has kinda been on her own thing for quite a while. She does bad shit but she's not inherently evil. She's never going to be a full villian and Harley keeps her human. It'd be nice to explore this but DC actually really doesn't like her very much. Maybe just leave her to Sejic, he knows what he's doing. Only other writer I'd trust with Ivy is Gail Simone.

Oh man, this entire time I had conflated Gorr and Knull into the same character.
Ones a good character, the other is Knull.