• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Oh this would be great fun. Hope he gets to it some day

ARE WE GONNA GET DEATH VIGIL ACTION SEIJIC? OH SHIT THAT'D BE SO FUCKING COOL
The difference is there's writers who are good now.
Don't excuse that art in that run. Maybe it got better after that first issue but still.
Hasn't SS had a long string of disliked runs for a good while? I would assume that is the greatest hurdle to overcome.
I thought the Rebirth run was liked. I didn't read it, but it got positive reception. Lukewarm at worst. Not like the New 52/DCYou runs.
Hickman explained the Fantomex/Xavier body swap in the AIPT article.
Jonathan: The Xavier we saw in HOX/POX and up to X-Force #1 was the Astonishing Xavier. Post resurrection is Charles in Charles's body. We've drawn him ever so slightly skinnier.
As suspected
Apparently this is JT4's new Batman big bad
8RkAvoL.jpg
lol

edit: Here's the ideas behind the design (this is from Tynion's newsletter btw)
If they did a Metal Gear Solid x Final Fantasy x Silent Hill crossover game, and the villain of that game was meant to be The actual, honest-to-god Devil… That's the kind of character I'm looking to create here. This should be a character with some complicated costume elements (to counter the simplicity of the Gotham Villains). He is not simple, he is ornate. And he should be scary.

When I picture him, he has a mask not unlike the mask of "Friend" from 20th Century Boys (seen below). A white cloth mask over his face (not a mummy bandage wrap like Hush). There should be a symbol on his face… Maybe an ornate gothic "D" in red.

His costume should look like an ornate general or emperor's military uniform that simultaneously looks like it's from a hundred years in the past and a hundred years in the future. Ornate armored shoulder plates… An ornate scarlet cape. Maybe some black feathers coming out from under the shoulder plates. He has a giant sword, but also a few guns in ornate holsters on his chest. A little bit Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, a little bit Edea from Final Fantasy VIII, a little bit Auron from Final Fantasy X… But with a final dash of Metal Gear Solid militarism, and a bit of horror.
aka, put all my animes and video games into a blender.
I fucking LOVE it. For a villain calling himself the Designer thinking he's some grand supervillain badass, so he dresses like some self-decorated urban commando with big swords cuz he thinks he's so cool.
Y'know what DC should do but they can't because people are boring?

Set multiple different lines in the different "generations", so fans can enjoy their favorite heroes in their eras. But people won't buy books that aren't "set in the present" so I can't get what I want.
I dug the WW2 JSA issues early on in that 00's era. Those were dope. The powers were so weird and whatnot.
Oh, Katie Holmes might be the worst actress in Scientology (which is quite an accomplishment, in its own way).
I approve this metric
hmmm...

maybe he just knows cuz they talked or something, or maybe......

IS THIS IT? IS THIS THE BOOK?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So is Tynion gonna bring back the First Victim from his Detective run for his Batman run do you think? Did we get final resolution on that or no? I swear we didn't, but I might be wrong.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Finished with the first half or so (until #355) of Simonson Thor

This read through really reminded me of why I loved this run. It gives you you a great sense of the grandeur of Asgard, and scale of the battles Thor & Co. participate in, making them feel like actual Gods. Odin especially feels regal and very god-like, which is a jarring contrast to the drunk oaf Odin recently. The rather heavy narration and dialogue also adds to the sense that you are reading an mythological epic, which works really well when the fighting starts, or when there is an Asgardian character is telling a story. Speaking of characters, a pretty large cast is juggled well, with many of them getting growth and great character moments. Besides Bill, Balder was a surprising stand-out. The art is suitably kinetic and flashy in fights while colourful and fantastical in portraying Asgard.

Also, Bill's introduction and characterization was just fantastic. It's very hard not to like him after you find out about his backstory and how noble he is.

The things I disliked the most about this was the whole plot with Thor and the love potion. It wasn't compelling and felt slimy (which you can argue was the point), and it didn't contribute much to the plot. The whole construction worker thing also felt pointless and quickly ignored once the whole ragnarok thing starts. In the ragnarok arc itself, the transition between side plots can be jarring. You can have two pages of an epic battle between Odin and Surtur and then swap to a kid vs a troll. I get that side characters have to be doing something, but the whole Frigga sideplot just drags the whole thing down. Overall, despite my above dislikes, this run is fantastic and epic. It's definitely worth reading even if you aren't that interested in Thor

Now, I think I'll get to re-reading Delano hellblazer before getting back to the rest of Simonson's run. The issue with Bor felt like a perfect point to end things for now.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017

This read through really reminded me of why I loved this run. It gives you you a great sense of the grandeur of Asgard, and scale of the battles Thor & Co. participate in, making them feel like actual Gods. Odin especially feels regal and very god-like, which is a jarring contrast to the drunk oaf Odin recently. The rather heavy narration and dialogue also adds to the sense that you are reading an mythological epic, which works really well when the fighting starts, or when there is an Asgardian character is telling a story. Speaking of characters, a pretty large cast is juggled well, with many of them getting growth and great character moments. Besides Bill, Balder was a surprising stand-out. The art is suitably kinetic and flashy in fights while colourful and fantastical in portraying Asgard.

Also, Bill's introduction and characterization was just fantastic. It's very hard not to like him after you find out about his backstory and how noble he is.

The things I disliked the most about this was the whole plot with Thor and the love potion. It wasn't compelling and felt slimy (which you can argue was the point), and it didn't contribute much to the plot. The whole construction worker thing also felt pointless and quickly ignored once the whole ragnarok thing starts. In the ragnarok arc itself, the transition between side plots can be jarring. You can have two pages of an epic battle between Odin and Surtur and then swap to a kid vs a troll. I get that side characters have to be doing something, but the whole Frigga sideplot just drags the whole thing down. Overall, despite my above dislikes, this run is fantastic and epic. It's definitely worth reading even if you aren't that interested in Thor

Now, I think I'll get to re-reading Delano hellblazer before getting back to the rest of Simonson's run. The issue with Bor felt like a perfect point to end things for now.
I just finished reading the rest of this entire run over the weekend. I agree, Odin, Beta Ray Bill and Balder are all good characters. Some of the dangers faced are random and arbitrary, and logic doesn't always feel consistent, but I enjoyed reading.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Justice League Dark #19 was great. A wonderful, yet bittersweet end to one of the best Diana centric storylines in a team book in recent years.

Fuck Batman for prematurely taking Tynion away.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

i'll have to put this on my list to check out down the line.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, great run. Read it a couple years ago myself. Did you read the Omni with the new coloring?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Ram V did the JLD annual last year, didn't he? I thought that was really good. I'll probably see where he goes with it, the current run has been one of DC's best two or three comics.

He did some Catwoman fill in issues with Mirka Andolfo which were good.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ram V is the one taking over, but apparently Tynion is going to return to co-write based on solicits?

I think the opening arc is co-plotted by Tynion before Ram takes over completely. I haven't read that book in ages, but I'm gonna come back for that since they're bringing in Animal Man

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting the two venomnibus that are out to get ready for the 3rd that's coming are they good,and should I get the spiderman vs venom Omni?

Spider-Man vs. Venom is all of the early stuff, Venomnibus is his solo stuff. If you want a "complete" story you'll want them both, since the Venomnibus doesn't have his first appearances and all that. It'll be disjointed either way though, lots of random issues in there.

I'm not a big enough Venom guy to buy an omnibus, but it definitely has its fans.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thinking about getting the two venomnibus that are out to get ready for the 3rd that's coming are they good,and should I get the spiderman vs venom Omni?

Spidey vs Venom is good if you're collecting spidey hardcovers and is a good oversized place to find maximum carnage.

venomnibus is good if you're into venom only.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Victim Syndicate was a great concept that didn't get a big enough arc to do them justice. Just like Mr. Bloom.
They were recurring though, so I'm not sure it qualifies as much, but I can agree to some extent.

Amazon.com: Ravensburger Wonder Woman: Challenge of The Amazons Strategy Game for Ages 10 & Up, Model:60001841: Toys & Games

Buy Ravensburger Wonder Woman: Challenge of The Amazons Strategy Game for Ages 10 & Up, Model:60001841: Board Games - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Omfg.

wonder-woman-game-1-1207441.jpeg

Want.
Ravensburger does good stuff. I have all the Disney Villainous stuff.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's part of the Walmart books. She took time off drawing Catwoman to do it so I hold her responsible. Catwoman deserved better.

The collection of that finally came out this month, her two stories look incredible. I would have never really thought about her drawing Swampy, but now I'm very glad she did.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I would imagine it largely depends on just how much you like Venom.
Spider-Man vs. Venom is all of the early stuff, Venomnibus is his solo stuff. If you want a "complete" story you'll want them both, since the Venomnibus doesn't have his first appearances and all that. It'll be disjointed either way though, lots of random issues in there.

I'm not a big enough Venom guy to buy an omnibus, but it definitely has its fans.
Spidey vs Venom is good if you're collecting spidey hardcovers and is a good oversized place to find maximum carnage.

venomnibus is good if you're into venom only.
Thanks guys I'm also looking into Deadpool it's either theses omnibus Deadpool and co,Deadpool classics,and Deadpool by poshen and duggan.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks guys I'm also looking into Deadpool it's either theses omnibus Deadpool and co,Deadpool classics,and Deadpool by poshen and duggan.

Deadpool is almost completely collected in Omnibus. If you like him I'd steer you there. The Venom books are good too though. Can't really go wrong if you like both.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I can't believe how much of a kick I'm getting out of this

I dunno... He didn't say Billy Idol. He said Gen X, which has a pretty different sound compared to Billy's solo stuff. They are very much a punk band. They're not my favorite punk band, and I get that they don't look as hardcore as the setup might lead one to expect... but the question wasn't "What's a punk look she should've gone for?" It was "What's your favorite punk band?" Don't really care to defend Rob, but that seems off to me.

Edit: Am I missing something? Why is everyone in that tweet thread acting like it's the biggest burn? Have they listened to Generation X?
Edit 2: I understand now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno... He didn't say Billy Idol. He said Gen X, which has a pretty different sound compared to Billy's solo stuff. They are very much a punk band. They're not my favorite punk band, and I get that they don't look as hardcore as the setup might lead one to expect... but the question wasn't "What's a punk look she should've gone for?" It was "What's your favorite punk band?" Don't really care to defend Rob, but that seems off to me.

Edit: Am I missing something? Why is everyone in that tweet thread acting like it's the biggest burn? Have they listened to Generation X?

Generation X gave the impression that they were using the persona + sound + aesthetics of a punk band to eventually become pop stars. They weren't trying to rebel or doing the societal or political commentary their peers were doing. It's especially funny when comparing that to Rob's own vapid work

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Generation X gave the impression that they were using the persona + sound + aesthetics of a punk band to eventually become pop stars. They weren't trying to rebel or doing the societal or political commentary their peers were doing. It's especially funny when comparing that to Rob's own vapid work
Ah, okay. That makes sense.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
The collection of that finally came out this month, her two stories look incredible. I would have never really thought about her drawing Swampy, but now I'm very glad she did.

She's a really incredible artist and yeah her art on those pages is really damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.