• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the Gen One thing is the start of 5G?

EQsU64VWkAIb7A8

giphy.gif

Phew, that's not exactly an inspiring collection of writers. Hopefully it means Williamson is finally leaving Flash...

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
My dumb safe bet is that they're doing one each, and with Schmidt already announced for Gen1, I'm assuming the order is gonna be Schmidt, Venditti, Jurgens, Bendis and then Williamson.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I really hope Stjepan can hurry up with that Ivy comic, because that Harley & Ivy ending was rough. Also, did anyone get the message that the Cateoman comic is ending?

The Transformers Valentine special was nice. Same with Archie 1955, though I'm still a bit confused on whether it's an anthology piece or it connects with the 40s issue ala Life Story.

It was nice to see Amanda Connor's Harley cast again. It's been ages since I've seen them do much.

Ended up not liking the Gwen Stacy issue as much as I thought I would.

Isley is a year + away. He's working on Fine Print, Death Vigil 2 and Sunstone this year. Isley still hasn't been pitched let alone approved...even though it totally will be lol.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the acting, it's his boyish looks. Just seems like a better fit for Nightwing. It's just going to be hard to beat Bale and Afleck imo.
? I don't get this as a negative

A younger Batman is fine, if anything Bale and Affleck were too old. This Batman is meant to be less experienced.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just so tired of getting Batman reboots again.

BUT SPIDEY!

Yeah, I know but I'm just so tired of DC Darkness and Dankess.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
? I don't get this as a negative

A younger Batman is fine, if anything Bale and Affleck were too old. This Batman is meant to be less experienced.
Yup. He can pull it off. I never liked Affleck and I don't even think Bale is all that great tbh. Pattinson had me convinced after I saw The Lighthouse and especially Good Times. I'm definitely ready for a year one style story at this point.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that I dislike all those writers. But I think for the ushering in of an era that's supposed to cover all of the DC Universe, it would've been better to get writers who have defined DC Comics.

I would've wanted Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Keith Giffen, and Dan Jurgens. As it stands the people involved are a bunch of folks who showed up a couple years ago and doing stories involving all of DC's history.

It can be done well, but I have concerns. And Bendis?? Defining DC? Ugh. He's been a coin flip since he got here. Leviathan was traaaaaash, while Action, LoSH, YJ, and Naomi was good. Who am I getting?

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that I dislike all those writers. But I think for the ushering in of an era that's supposed to cover all of the DC Universe, it would've been better to get writers who have defined DC Comics.

I would've wanted Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Keith Giffen, and Dan Jurgens. As it stands the people involved are a bunch of folks who showed up a couple years ago and doing stories involving all of DC's history.

I don't think they want the sweeping grand statement. This is editorial-mandated comics in its purest form, it's a five oversized issues reference document, in a form to be determined but closer to a standard action-adventure comic than the kind of elaborate and personal comic book histories you'd see Grant Morrison do. By necessity, this is gonna be a job for the old hands that have done mercenary comics for most of their lives. There might be a spark in there, but you don't put the flourishes in the foundation.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Yeah I'm not expecting a whole lot of excitement from these initial issues. This is the foundation. Things likely won't get cooking till MAYBE Gen3.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm not expecting a whole lot of excitement from these initial issues. This is the foundation. Things likely won't get cooking till MAYBE Gen3.
My theory is that Gen1 is gonna be the most straightforward "this is how the history of the DC Universe starts", with the one major change we know (Wonder Woman was the first) and a bunch more JSA stuff, hence why they grabbed Andy Schmidt, a guy that's mostly known for his work as an editor (he's the one that edited Annihilation!) and who's worked as an educator since.

Gen2, which I'm assuming to be the Venditti one because of his affection for period pieces, is gonna deal with the fall of the JSA and take some big wild swings, this is where you reveal one member of the JSA to be History's Greatest Villain, and do the kind of stuff that gets at least four headlines on Bleeding Cool.

Gen3, based solely on the period it's said to cover (The Age of Crisis) is gonna be Dan Jurgens revisiting the hits. Just a big nostalgia bomb. It's mostly gonna play it close to Crisis on Infinite Earths, you don't really have to change anything because, while yeah this involves the greater DC cosmology, this is it at its simplest.

Gen4, by process of elimination, is gonna be the Bendis one. I'm saying this because:

Gen5 is very obviously Joshua Williamson paying off on threads he'll have set up in Hell Arisen, and working from there.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they want the sweeping grand statement. This is editorial-mandated comics in its purest form, it's a five oversized issues reference document, in a form to be determined but closer to a standard action-adventure comic than the kind of elaborate and personal comic book histories you'd see Grant Morrison do. By necessity, this is gonna be a job for the old hands that have done mercenary comics for most of their lives. There might be a spark in there, but you don't put the flourishes in the foundation.

Editorially mandating a timeline isn't a bad idea. It's part of why the New 52 was so confusing. They had a "five year timeline" but what happened when wasn't obvious, plus Batman supposedly already had been operating previously.

All I'm saying is you need the right people to nail the feeling so what comes next isn't a big wtf.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Phew, that's not exactly an inspiring collection of writers. Hopefully it means Williamson is finally leaving Flash...
It's the epitome of mediocrity. Didio better have new blood coming because DC is in a sorry state right now regarding talent. Ridley being rumored for 5G Batman sounds great, get me more new teams like that. With Snyder stepping back, Morrison and Johns on the periphery, and Bendis failing to light up the sales charts, you need to start cultivating your new blood. Dan Jurgens should not be working on projects like these.
Waid and DC are still burned bridges far as I know
Waid is never working at DC again. He hates Harras and has bad blood with Didio.
My theory is that Gen1 is gonna be the most straightforward "this is how the history of the DC Universe starts", with the one major change we know (Wonder Woman was the first) and a bunch more JSA stuff, hence why they grabbed Andy Schmidt, a guy that's mostly known for his work as an editor (he's the one that edited Annihilation!) and who's worked as an educator since.

Gen2, which I'm assuming to be the Venditti one because of his affection for period pieces, is gonna deal with the fall of the JSA and take some big wild swings, this is where you reveal one member of the JSA to be History's Greatest Villain, and do the kind of stuff that gets at least four headlines on Bleeding Cool.

Gen3, based solely on the period it's said to cover (The Age of Crisis) is gonna be Dan Jurgens revisiting the hits. Just a big nostalgia bomb. It's mostly gonna play it close to Crisis on Infinite Earths, you don't really have to change anything because, while yeah this involves the greater DC cosmology, this is it at its simplest.

Gen4, by process of elimination, is gonna be the Bendis one. I'm saying this because:

Gen5 is very obviously Joshua Williamson paying off on threads he'll have set up in Hell Arisen, and working from there.
No fucking way is Bendis writing the New 52/Rebirth Gen, that will be Willamson as the one Rebirth guy still on his book. Bendis will be handling Gen 5.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
No fucking way is Bendis writing the New 52/Rebirth Gen, that will be Willamson as the one Rebirth guy still on his book. Bendis will be handling Gen 5.

This probably makes more sense especially with the Legion stuff but man, your way into the future of comics being Bendis feels like a bummer and a half.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
This probably makes more sense especially with the Legion stuff but man, your way into the future of comics being Bendis feels like a bummer and a half.
Sure would be nice if DC had some new diverse creators to go with their supposed aim at diversifying their line but given how badly Didio and Lee are at recruiting new talent I'm not surprised. Ridley writing Luke Fox as Batman is the only thing of interest so far, because I know he's not going to shy away from the social and political implications of Batman being black.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Sure would be nice if DC had some new diverse creators to go with their supposed aim at diversifying their line but given how badly Didio and Lee are at recruiting new talent I'm not surprised. Ridley writing Luke Fox as Batman is the only thing of interest so far, because I know he's not going to shy away from the social and political implications of Batman being black.
Ridley writing Batman would be the only thing that interest you because that's the only creator rumored to be attached to a 5G Project lol

Status
Not open for further replies.