• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone read any of the DC Ink or DC Zoom books? I'm curious which, if any, are worth picking up. I saw that Dustin Nguyen, who did the adorable Lil' Gotham books was the artist on one that came out recently called Once Upon a Crime.

I read the Raven one. It was fine - like, very much a YA type book, and not a particularly memorable one. Great art from Gabriel Picolo, though... I think that's probably the strength of those books, even when the writing is aimed at a younger audience, the art is consistently great. And the sort of style you don't usually see in mainline superhero comics, too, which I always appreciate.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks this is a really odd set of books to put in a slipcase collection?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzUvNzY1L29yaWdpbmFsL0hBUkxFWV9RVUlOTl9CT1hfU0VUX0ZMQVQuanBnPzE1ODE3MDAwOTI=

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So glad SGM finally got someone to help him with plotting. His Catwoman run is going to be so good.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alright. I'm all caught up on Dawn of X. Here's my rankings, general thoughts through 6 or 7 issues of each series.
  1. X-Men - Two Thumbs Up - Issues without Yu are the best. It's good he's being rotated out. The tension is already building. Hype for things crashing together.
  2. Marauders - Thumbs Up - Great characterization. Best when it's simple, just about missions.
  3. New Mutants (Hickman) - Thumbs Up - I love these kids. Boo, having to read Brisson issues in between. >:|
  4. X-Force - Thumbs Up - Great action. Great action movie vibe. But it often has too much exposition.
  5. X-Men/Fantastic Four - Thumbs Down - Hickman did it better in a couple pages. Characterization seems off, one-note.
  6. New Mutants (Brisson) - Thumbs Down - I really have no idea what Brisson is doing with these characters but I kinda like them less than when he started.
  7. Excalibur - Thumbs Down - Strong start gone awry. Did editorial force the story to move faster than planned?
  8. Fallen Angels - Two Thumbs Down - Yeah, let's just put Psylocke in cold storage until we can find someone can write her like a normal person.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
So glad SGM finally got someone to help him with plotting. His Catwoman run is going to be so good.

What makes you believe it will be so good? He's drawing covers, which will be fine. His plotting in White Knight is dreadful almost as funny as his dialogue. Maybe the writer will be enough to save it from his plotting.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you believe it will be so good? He's drawing covers, which will be fine. His plotting in White Knight is dreadful almost as funny as his dialogue. Maybe the writer will be enough to save it from his plotting.
It was a joke. I do wonder why they even bothered to include his name as a credit. Does he get double billing for the entire run? Just seems like a way to get White Knight fans to check out the book and sell some extra copies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It was a joke. I do wonder why they even bothered to include his name as a credit. Does he get double billing for the entire run? Just seems like a way to get White Knight fans to check out the book and sell some extra copies.
After I finish catching up on X-Men and Marauders, I'mma do a White Knight re-read. WE HAVE TO GO BACK.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Im watching Madam Secretary. You should have said that it was actually good lol.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned it? It was definitely better than Designated Survivor. Which I didn't hate to begin with. But how is it these tv political dramas are less ridiculous than the current political situation in the US?
I was going to wait for the Deluxe, but screw it.
I already own the digital issues, so I'm not actually spending any more money here. I may even check out Curse of the White Knight when it goes on sale.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I mentioned it? It was definitely better than Designated Survivor. Which I didn't hate to begin with. But how is it these tv political dramas are less ridiculous than the current political situation in the US?
Yea you mentioned it, but I had this notion that it was like a old wives drama and didnt ask for impressions. The conspiracy was my favorite part of Designated Survivor and this show has managed to capitalize on that aspect and not get drowned in the mundane drama.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yea you mentioned it, but I had this notion that it was like a old wives drama and didnt ask for impressions. The conspiracy was my favorite part of Designated Survivor and this show has managed to capitalize on that aspect and not get drowned in the mundane drama.
Now I'm in the mood for a political drama. I haven't watched House of Cards or West Wing yet.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Well he had multiple accusers and two have died. One by suicide, the following day he posted another of this fucking horrible videos.

May 24, 2019
Holey crap Dreams is a good thing. I'm playing a marble rolling game that's better than any people have tried to make since Marble Blast Ultra on the X-Box 360.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks!

I'll keep an eye out for them. Are they on Comixology like standard DC comics?
Superman Smashes the Klan is one of the most important comics of the past 5 years
Am I the only one that thinks this is a really odd set of books to put in a slipcase collection?

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNzUvNzY1L29yaWdpbmFsL0hBUkxFWV9RVUlOTl9CT1hfU0VUX0ZMQVQuanBnPzE1ODE3MDAwOTI=
"Odd" is certainly one way to put it. I guess if you were to do an "Intro to New 52 Harley Quinn," then I guess, but the thing is solo Harley Quinn and SS Harley Quinn are written by two different writters, and they read like it. I don't even need to read Palmiotti and Connor's run to know that it's a 100% completely different take on Glass' take. Glass' take is 100% a psychosexual murderess that will blow your shit up. Like the way Simone wrote Cheshire in Secret Six, but lacking subtlety and with a different gimmick. And also less empathetic, somehow. And that's all in the first volume, because let's remind ourselves that the very first volume of New 52 Suicide Squad had this:

1f8a2bd0a268e14568b0856cf00f8a8f.jpg

"Sure BK, that's not the weirdest thing. It's not like you aren't able to find the part where she makes out with Floyd while he's wearing Joker's face...."
Deadshot-Joker-Face.jpg

j-Gqtrw-WXa1rzht0_NL_FC0v-5D-qHJSKJfRKHb-bNHinbvupGrdhOnA41ua63Gg9l3-zIFSVvD_ro7CF3_MB5kKkIAqEgKyH29HxiAUCWCcoKeuIPFgaYRrv_83ao

"....and then he guns her down"
SuicideSquad_7_021.jpg

And then later, she gets a zenkai boost!

SS10c.jpg

That book is fucked up and I read all of it.

Cherry on top from the beginning

tumblr_luetv5V0wL1r00bkdo1_r1_1280.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Me and the X Books

X-Men: Still buying, liking

Excalibur: Done

X-Force: Bought this week, I'm done

Marauders: Done

I will definitely give Wolverine a shot.

I loved HOX/POX but now I'm done except for 1, maybe 2 books only a few months later. Sigh. And in concept at least, the X-Men are my favorite thing in comics.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Me and the X Books

I loved HOX/POX but now I'm done except for 1, maybe 2 books only a few months later. Sigh. And in concept at least, the X-Men are my favorite thing in comics.

I dunno about the others, but Marauders is incredible so that's on you.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Is anyone into the monsters/horror/masters of suspense omnis? They look like good fun and I always enjoy the old artwork.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Superman Smashes the Klan is one of the most important comics of the past 5 years

"Odd" is certainly one way to put it. I guess if you were to do an "Intro to New 52 Harley Quinn," then I guess, but the thing is solo Harley Quinn and SS Harley Quinn are written by two different writters, and they read like it. I don't even need to read Palmiotti and Connor's run to know that it's a 100% completely different take on Glass' take. Glass' take is 100% a psychosexual murderess that will blow your shit up. Like the way Simone wrote Cheshire in Secret Six, but lacking subtlety and with a different gimmick. And also less empathetic, somehow. And that's all in the first volume, because let's remind ourselves that the very first volume of New 52 Suicide Squad had this:

1f8a2bd0a268e14568b0856cf00f8a8f.jpg

"Sure BK, that's not the weirdest thing. It's not like you aren't able to find the part where she makes out with Floyd while he's wearing Joker's face...."
Deadshot-Joker-Face.jpg

j-Gqtrw-WXa1rzht0_NL_FC0v-5D-qHJSKJfRKHb-bNHinbvupGrdhOnA41ua63Gg9l3-zIFSVvD_ro7CF3_MB5kKkIAqEgKyH29HxiAUCWCcoKeuIPFgaYRrv_83ao

"....and then he guns her down"
SuicideSquad_7_021.jpg

And then later, she gets a zenkai boost!

SS10c.jpg

That book is fucked up and I read all of it.

Cherry on top from the beginning

tumblr_luetv5V0wL1r00bkdo1_r1_1280.jpg
You're a brave soul for going through that.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Me and the X Books

i couldn't blame anyone for stripping down to just the main book at this point. We've had at least six issues for every series and outside of Fallen Angels, none of them has even told a complete arc. Story-wise, all of them are floundering. they're all sinking or swimming (winks at Kate) based on character work. As someone who loves well-told stories, it's frustrating.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Started on the second Domino trade, still rather good fun. The Annual felt rather choppy though, jumping all over the place.

(Also, what other Domino series are worth reading?)

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Anyway somebody hit me with your favourite indie superhero comic if you have one. So far I've got Faith Erin Hicks' Adventures of Superhero Girl on my list.

Hypernaturals was Abnett and Lanning's own take on the Legion of Superheroes over at Boom. I quite enjoyed it (particularly some of the back matter worldbuilding) and hoped for more. Unfortunately it might have been the last thing they did together before falling out so probably won't be revisited. Worth a look.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone into the monsters/horror/masters of suspense omnis? They look like good fun and I always enjoy the old artwork.

I'm not SUPER into them - I've never bought an omni - but I am a fan of the stories. I have a few of the old Atlas Era Masterworks they put out (Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales, so on). They're a lot of fun. Definitely of their time, but the B-movie plots lend themselves to the bombastic prose from the 50s, and man, those monster designs are killer. Orrgo, Moomba, the Abominable Snowman...

I think they're probably the best comics you can get from that era - but they do tend to run together, so a whole omnibus of them might be too much of a good thing.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Started on the second Domino trade, still rather good fun. The Annual felt rather choppy though, jumping all over the place.

(Also, what other Domino series are worth reading?)
The Sex and Violence mini from Kyle and Yost with her and Wolverine is fun. Domino: Hotshots is the sequel series to the one you're reading, also by Simone. It's weird, though and it doesn't feel like the same book.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love collecting omnibi, talking about the books I'm reading with folk, I think I enjoyed it more when I was spending more on weekly comics and chatting with y'all about those. I might try and lean back that direction going forward.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not SUPER into them - I've never bought an omni - but I am a fan of the stories. I have a few of the old Atlas Era Masterworks they put out (Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales, so on). They're a lot of fun. Definitely of their time, but the B-movie plots lend themselves to the bombastic prose from the 50s, and man, those monster designs are killer. Orrgo, Moomba, the Abominable Snowman...

I think they're probably the best comics you can get from that era - but they do tend to run together, so a whole omnibus of them might be too much of a good thing.
Good to know. They look fun, although the stories are maybe a little too short and are of little consequence to anything.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love collecting omnibi, talking about the books I'm reading with folk, I think I enjoyed it more when I was spending more on weekly comics and chatting with y'all about those. I might try and lean back that direction going forward.

It is if the series is brilliant week to week (I've only ever bought two series as on-goings). But I really cannot do it for 99% of the rest. Like a restaurant bringing you 1" cubes of steak on a plate every 5 minutes and then the waiter trying to up-sell a wine accompaniment while you are chewing on that one mouthful.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The grass is always greener. I have been debating going back to three or four monthly books. The ones I had collected for years. But it's a slippery slope because then I see a new series or a mini or there's a tie-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.