• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Apparently this is JT4's new Batman big bad
8RkAvoL.jpg
lol

edit: Here's the ideas behind the design (this is from Tynion's newsletter btw)
If they did a Metal Gear Solid x Final Fantasy x Silent Hill crossover game, and the villain of that game was meant to be The actual, honest-to-god Devil… That's the kind of character I'm looking to create here. This should be a character with some complicated costume elements (to counter the simplicity of the Gotham Villains). He is not simple, he is ornate. And he should be scary.

When I picture him, he has a mask not unlike the mask of "Friend" from 20th Century Boys (seen below). A white cloth mask over his face (not a mummy bandage wrap like Hush). There should be a symbol on his face… Maybe an ornate gothic "D" in red.

His costume should look like an ornate general or emperor's military uniform that simultaneously looks like it's from a hundred years in the past and a hundred years in the future. Ornate armored shoulder plates… An ornate scarlet cape. Maybe some black feathers coming out from under the shoulder plates. He has a giant sword, but also a few guns in ornate holsters on his chest. A little bit Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, a little bit Edea from Final Fantasy VIII, a little bit Auron from Final Fantasy X… But with a final dash of Metal Gear Solid militarism, and a bit of horror.
aka, put all my animes and video games into a blender.
Alt-right anime avatar villain should be compelling.

Honestly, I think he'd be all right without the camo pants, necklaces, tie, and sash.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
honestly he needs a bigass wallet chain too, just put some Nomura in with your Amano for the hell of it

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished X-Men Shattershot. I found the Shattershot annuals pretty solid. Like No Depth said, it's great to see a Mojo story that isn't garbage. Helps that Mojo isn't really in it much. Also great to see Shatterstar and (briefly) Longshot. The X-Men issues are solid. Andy Kubert's super talented. I'm was really impressed how well Nicieza was able to tie together like 6 different story threads from the Lee run and Uncanny, keep them coherent, and build-up a really interesting story. The one big problem is that some of the story does happen in Uncanny and is only referenced through text descriptions here. It also, unfortunately, doesn't really wrap up many of the story threads. Definitely an "in-between" collection, bust still one where there's a lot of talented writing and art.

This isn't peak 90s X-Men, but it's still solid stuff before things get out of hand.

edit: backlog RNG picks Berserk Vol. 3! hype.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Kevin Smith's '99 'Guardian Devil' run.

I actually enjoyed it, though I wasn't too big on the characterization of Murdock(even outside of the convenient excuse for his sudden personality shifts). His thoughtful legal mind just wasn't much on display here, often falling into some obvious traps and thinking irrationally. Though coming directly from Frank Miller, whom actually did a damn good job of toeing the line between the personas, the difference is felt.

That said, the book was fun and I admit I didn't see the twist coming. I mean, I knew there was going to be a logical explanation to all this nonsense, but I enjoyed the handling. I mostly also really enjoyed all the callbacks and easter eggs. Felt like the book was stuffed with references, you can feel the excitement Quesada probably had manning this big Marvel Knights initiative and the team just threw in all sorts of homages. The final issue particularly had some good ones, and I enjoyed the Spidey cameo.

Kudos to Black Widow as well calling out how shit DD is with women.

Think I'll jump into the brief David Mack story that comes next before finally cracking the Bendis Omni.
Yea I enjoyed it overall. Just thought it was a bit too wordy, which makes sense considering it was Kevin Smith's first go around. I especially loved the art. I thought there were a bit too many twists and turns, but it was still fun.

But man do things switch completely when Bendis takes over. Its like the book went from a classic 90s book to a street level noir style book overnight.

8RkAvoL.jpg
lol

edit: Here's the ideas behind the design (this is from Tynion's newsletter btw)
If they did a Metal Gear Solid x Final Fantasy x Silent Hill crossover game, and the villain of that game was meant to be The actual, honest-to-god Devil… That's the kind of character I'm looking to create here. This should be a character with some complicated costume elements (to counter the simplicity of the Gotham Villains). He is not simple, he is ornate. And he should be scary.

When I picture him, he has a mask not unlike the mask of "Friend" from 20th Century Boys (seen below). A white cloth mask over his face (not a mummy bandage wrap like Hush). There should be a symbol on his face… Maybe an ornate gothic "D" in red.

His costume should look like an ornate general or emperor's military uniform that simultaneously looks like it's from a hundred years in the past and a hundred years in the future. Ornate armored shoulder plates… An ornate scarlet cape. Maybe some black feathers coming out from under the shoulder plates. He has a giant sword, but also a few guns in ornate holsters on his chest. A little bit Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, a little bit Edea from Final Fantasy VIII, a little bit Auron from Final Fantasy X… But with a final dash of Metal Gear Solid militarism, and a bit of horror.
aka, put all my animes and video games into a blender.

I kinda like it lol. Who was behind the design?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I enjoyed it overall. Just thought it was a bit too wordy, which makes sense considering it was Kevin Smith's first go around. I especially loved the art. I thought there were a bit too many twists and turns, but it was still fun.

But man do things switch completely when Bendis takes over. Its like the book went from a classic 90s book to a street level noir style book overnight.

It's funny because I watched a video of the three creators discussing the creation of the story and Kevin Smith submitted a first draft script that was like waaaay longer. Quesada and Palmiotti jokingly told him they had no room for art if they went with that version and he had to cut back a ton of words. So hilarious that what we got was the scaled down draft!

Reading David Mack's continuation now and you can barely tell Kevin left. He is just as heavy on the internal monologues and words as well. Nice that it directly continues so far and with the same art team you couldn't really tell there was shift.

I definitely look forward to Bendis though. I am so looking forward to that gritty look and style.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Curse of the White Knight got robbed
As is always the case. More people need business degrees so they can understand true genius.
The Shonen Jumps life is much nicer
Who is that in your avatar? I know I've seen her before.
ughhh whyyyy

if this gets canned i'm gonna be so bummed. i loved the first two issues.
I read #1, then I forgot the book existed.
8RkAvoL.jpg
lol
This guy looks like he belongs in Destiny 2.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
As is always the case. More people need business degrees so they can understand true genius.

Who is that in your avatar? I know I've seen her before.

I read #1, then I forgot the book existed.

This guy looks like he belongs in Destiny 2.

It's the love pillar Kanroji Mitsuri

Wigs-Prop-Hot-Anime-Demon-Slayer-Kimetsu-No-Yaiba-Kanroji-Mitsuri-Wigs-Cosplay-Cute-Pink-Green.jpg_640x640q70.jpg

220430adb58087e41864aa19ec5092e9.jpg

45b34efcc53b246841655bdb115442fc0603bb29.gif

One of the best girls and human pudding

tenor.gif

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I went in a little too hard on floppies over the weekend. I purchased complete runs of Starman, Astro City, The Question, and Shade, The Changing Man.

May 24, 2019

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to buy the Black Widow omni, but the 3 issue Journey Into Mystery Black Widow story looks like it would be really fun. Getting the issues on CMX now.

I would buy an Omni with some of the more recent stuff, like Waid/Samnee's run. How was her Marvel Knights run?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I picked up my pull list on Saturday in big bang... Those of you who doubt my collecting.

Also I think I forgot to cancel my Harleen amazon order? So we will see what happens on that front.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Y'know what DC should do but they can't because people are boring?

Set multiple different lines in the different "generations", so fans can enjoy their favorite heroes in their eras. But people won't buy books that aren't "set in the present" so I can't get what I want.

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the day playing Batman games in bed, then went to the gym to lift. Now I'm watching Batman Begins. I think I'm finally ready to make the world a better place by … assaulting random proles.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even lift bro?

Bro, I'm so cool a random guy asked me to check his squat form. And that led to talking an old vet about his time in West Germany during the Cold War. At the end the vet did a bunch of kipping pull-ups (but at his age it was impressive) and then yelled "hell yeah" and fist bumped me and walked off.

The vet said his name was Big Jeff or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.