• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2019
bluexy got got? I fucking can't with this shit.

What the fuck?
ocF61a4.jpg

So it was an accident? What's wrong with a warning, then?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Good lord, the first x-men event is going to be nasty on my wallet. 15 issues?

We are guessing it's a weekly series like no surrender, but yeah.

That or it's contained as crossovers in the currently releasing books.

Yeah that really changed things. Did her having SAD stick at all?

Doesn't really come up anymore. The recent mini with Harley had a bit of her mood being affected and her personality being all messed up.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
So X-Men Giant Emma and Jean is just Dautermann styling on people for 30 pages? I read these issues are basically designed to let the artist do their thing and that makes sense after reading this. Beautiful book starring the 3 most beautiful X Women.

I'm just a bit confused about the Children of the Atom stuff. Did that happen when they were trying to get X-23 into the vault? I don't remember anything happening to storm.

Dautermann is a king. I wonder what he's up to next.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So X-Men Giant Emma and Jean is just Dautermann styling on people for 30 pages? I read these issues are basically designed to let the artist do their thing and that makes sense after reading this. Beautiful book starring the 3 most beautiful X Women.

I'm just a bit confused about the Children of the Atom stuff. Did that happen when they were trying to get X-23 into the vault? I don't remember anything happening to storm.

Dautermann is a king. I wonder what he's up to next.
He's doing the storm issue next.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
How often are these Giant-Size X-Men's going to come around?
There's five issues:
Dauterman Jean and Emma this month
Alan Davis Nightcrawler in March
Ramon Perez Magneto in April
Dauterman Storm early May
Rod Reis Fantomex late May

After that the book is done unless Hickman plans on doing more sometime down the road.

Monthly. Next is Nightcrawler with Alan Davis

STL148073

Magneto is April with art by the awesome Ben Oliver

STL151435
Ben Oliver had to drop off the book for personal reasons.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
There's five issues:
Ben Oliver Magneto in April

After that the book is done unless Hickman plans on doing more sometime down the road.

I hadn't heard about Storm. Dautermann would kill that obviously. But man... What if it had been Jen. Just one issue. Still Dautermann is incredible.

Get Bachalo to do Emma or Magik 😂. Maybe Andrade for Magik.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Monthly. Next is Nightcrawler with Alan Davis

Magneto is April with art by the awesome Ben Oliver
There's five issues:

spongebob.jpg

I may pop in for that Storm on, though.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
There's five issues:

Ben Oliver had to drop off the book for personal reasons.

Ramon Perez ain't a good replacement for Oliver lol

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
We've had this conversation in this community, but legit it's almost impossible to think of any memorable villains within the past decade. With any staying power. Court of Owls? Batman Who Laughs?

Seriously go through 2010-2019.

I mean I'll stan for the First Victim all day.

Did Knull exist before Aaron's run on Thor? He's had surprising staying power. Especially considering that he's been used for different characters and by different creators. Elevates him above a single writer's pet character.

Also, Bendis tried to make the Hood a bigger deal. Never really caught on, but he's relatively higher profile.

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
Caught up with this week's X-books, and while I really liked X-Men, there's a tiny nagging suspicion that this isn't meant to be read as messed up as it is. Like, we all see it as intentionally offputting and deliberately unsettling, but...it could just be Hickman being Hickman. It seems cult-like, but he might just be earnestly depicting what he thinks a mutant culture should/could/would look like. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop, but Hickman's got both feet firmly on the ground.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with this week's X-books, and while I really liked X-Men, there's a tiny nagging suspicion that this isn't meant to be read as messed up as it is. Like, we all see it as intentionally offputting and deliberately unsettling, but...it could just be Hickman being Hickman. It seems cult-like, but he might just be earnestly depicting what he thinks a mutant culture should/could/would look like. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop, but Hickman's got both feet firmly on the ground.

This is my other concern

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
I hope so. I don't want to see the X-Men embrace a "master race" narrative in such a full-throated way for too long.

The weird panel with Douglock and Doug/Warlock establish that there's definitely something weird going on.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck?
ocF61a4.jpg

So it was an accident? What's wrong with a warning, then?
I'd ask what that means, but I won't like the answer either way
Doesn't really come up anymore. The recent mini with Harley had a bit of her mood being affected and her personality being all messed up.
Shame. I'm not much of an Ivy fan. She was never a very interesting character and this recent push to turn her more anti-villain possibly anti-heroine because of her association with Harley doesn't sit well with me, but honestly that bit of character development was interesting and added some layers I really appreciated.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I read the last two issues of Superman Smashes the Klan. Really enjoyed it. Love the three little trades too. Glad I have it in this format, because if they collect it in a thick trade, I doubt it will have the nice thick paper stock that these single issue trades do.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd ask what that means, but I won't like the answer either way

Shame. I'm not much of an Ivy fan. She was never a very interesting character and this recent push to turn her more anti-villain possibly anti-heroine because of her association with Harley doesn't sit well with me, but honestly that bit of character development was interesting and added some layers I really appreciated.

The last push she got had her getting murdered, reborn and then breaking up with her gal pal. I guess it's this or she goes back to not existing again.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Did Knull exist before Aaron's run on Thor? He's had surprising staying power. Especially considering that he's been used for different characters and by different creators. Elevates him above a single writer's pet character.

Also, Bendis tried to make the Hood a bigger deal. Never really caught on, but he's relatively higher profile.
The Hood's been in the street stuff. He's the main guy in Hawkeye Freefall and he was in Williamson's Illuminati in 2015. I'd say he caught on, but that's pre 2010z

Knull is definitely just 2018 and newer. Really because of Donny Cates and then Aaron with the War of the Realms name drop. I dunno if Knull is actually that impressive. Like we joke about him here, but he's just kinda whatever. Great design and origin, but he also feels like just another "ancient cosmic god."

Oh, that reminds me though, Gorr the God Butcher!
The last push she got had her getting murdered, reborn and then breaking up with her gal pal. I guess it's this or she goes back to not existing again.
I suppose it could be looked at that way

KeithM

Jan 15, 2020
The Hood's been in the street stuff. He's the main guy in Hawkeye Freefall and he was in Williamson's Illuminati in 2015. I'd say he caught on, but that's pre 2010z

Knull is definitely just 2018 and newer. Really because of Donny Cates and then Aaron with the War of the Realms name drop. I dunno if Knull is actually that impressive. Like we joke about him here, but he's just kinda whatever. Great design and origin, but he also feels like just another "ancient cosmic god."

Oh, that reminds me though, Gorr the God Butcher!
Oh man, this entire time I had conflated Gorr and Knull into the same character.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Ivy has kinda been on her own thing for quite a while. She does bad shit but she's not inherently evil. She's never going to be a full villian and Harley keeps her human. It'd be nice to explore this but DC actually really doesn't like her very much. Maybe just leave her to Sejic, he knows what he's doing. Only other writer I'd trust with Ivy is Gail Simone.

Oh man, this entire time I had conflated Gorr and Knull into the same character.

Ones a good character, the other is Knull.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
There's an artist that is making comics out of memes and I love it.

They do a webtoon that's also funny.

www.webtoons.com

Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell

The girl of your dreams barely knows you exist. Your friends can’t help. Your family is clueless. So where do you turn for love advice? Who can provide you with that essential assistance for the lovelorn? If you’re average everyday teenager Paul, you summon a powerful demon from deep in the...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
See, I know people hate Bendis for it, but him slamming people with his characters over and over again usually pays off more often than not. Simone also uses her original characters in her books by crossing them over a lot. Ragdoll showed up in Batgirl. Strix showed up in Secret Six along with Ventriloquist who were both in Batgirl originally. The Secret Six crossed over into the Birds of Prey at one point. She had two runs of the Secret Six, the second of which reused multiple characters; Black Alice, Jeanette, Scandal Savage, and Ragdoll.

Tynion, with his Batman run, has the perfect opportunity to reuse some of his original Bat mythos characters. I'm not saying he should, but like reusing your characters in your books, especially the higher profile ones, can make those characters popular and get reused. The First Victim and Calvin Rose (though I suppose that's co-created with Scott Snyder) come to mind. Especially when we're talking villains, then the Victim Syndicate is right there. And that's a very Batman directed and focused crew and could be quite perfect for the kind of story Tynion is trying to tell with Bruce's "reinvention" and "redesign" themes he's going for.
Oh well then, there you go
Ivy has kinda been on her own thing for quite a while. She does bad shit but she's not inherently evil. She's never going to be a full villian and Harley keeps her human. It'd be nice to explore this but DC actually really doesn't like her very much. Maybe just leave her to Sejic, he knows what he's doing. Only other writer I'd trust with Ivy is Gail Simone.
It's hard for me to digest this change for Ivy because she's been so unhinged for so long, and yet the New 52 is really where the change came around. The SAD and the Avatar of the Green stuff. They turned her around and a lot of it had to do with her Harley relationship. People saw that and didn't want her to be so evil if she's going to be in a relationship with Harley.

I'll forever hate her New 52 look.

May 24, 2019
Speaking of Bendis, I thought the Leviathan/Checkmate setup one shot this week was great. I enjoyed it more than any of Event Leviathan. I'm fully looking forward to the Checkmate mini.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The first event is a 15 parter

mainly headed by Tini Howard.

They should have never given you X-fans ANYTHING

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Bendis, I thought the Leviathan/Checkmate setup one shot this week was great. I enjoyed it more than any of Event Leviathan. I'm fully looking forward to the Checkmate mini.
Any guesses as to who that person was?

My guess is hes Leviathan from the future, after failing. OR its the female Manhunter's kid from the future

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
X Of Swords sounds so dumb, I'm all into it. That being said, I haven't even started reading the X-Men series after HoX/PoX, so I don't know if I will like it.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
ok. Grail and Darkseid War and all that nonsense might have been worth it just for this panel. Baby Darkseid dual weilding Signs of the Horn.

sBHCjE2.jpg

Also, either 'Raising' has some meaning here I am not clued into or there was a big editorial fuck-up.

2Imn7Rt.jpg

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
ok. Grail and Darkseid War and all that nonsense might have been worth it just for this panel. Baby Darkseid dual weilding Signs of the Horn.

sBHCjE2.jpg

Also, either 'Raising' has some meaning here I am not clued into or there was a big editorial fuck-up.

2Imn7Rt.jpg
IIRC: They're lowering the earth in the story so it passes into the dark multiverse. So, "Raising" would be correct.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like a joke rather than a big deal to me. King often has that type of nervous energy humor which doesn't always land but doesn't seem malicious to me. It's also a valid point that Dan's approval likely doesn't mean much in a post Dan-DC.

He radiates nervous energy in interviews. Its something else lol

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
In addition to comics, I usually have a novel that I'm working on at any given time. But comics are much more expensive.

So I can buy the four TWD Compendiums for $70 buying used on Amazon.

But then there's this sexy set. On ebay

www.ebay.com

The Walking Dead Books # 1-15 Hardcover - Image Comics - Kirkman, Moore, Adlard | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for The Walking Dead Books # 1-15 Hardcover - Image Comics - Kirkman, Moore, Adlard at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Do I wanna drop $200 on the entire hardcover set (cuz I'd still need to buy #16) or go the cheap route?

Such is the dilemma of a book collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.