• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

COMICS!!!|OT| January 2019 | Young man...you, too, can become a hero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
How good was that issue with the date!

I think Anderson works so well for the series. He has a great grasp of body language and facial expressions I think even if the art is not very distinctive.

And looking at his and Kurt's notes from the back material, he contributes a lot to the character design too.
Every single issue so far has been excellent. I adore it.

Oct 27, 2017
hot take question. Characters that are only loved by one or 2 writers, but the writers who love them, LOVE them?

Like for an example Mark Gruenwald and Quasar
I missed this, but if not for Geoff Johns no one would ever know about Courtney Whitmore. She about to get a whole TV show though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to collect Astro City physically but I honestly have no idea how to start or the order. I wish it was just in 1, 2, 3, instead of storylines. Or that there was an omnibus.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting close to the end of Leverage's final season. They are really padding these last 2 seasons with these spin off episodes, if you can call them that. Theyre not bad, but they should have spread them out a bit more. Think ill finish the show tomorrow and I already wish there was more.

Oct 27, 2017
Getting close to the end of Leverage's final season. They are really padding these last 2 seasons with these spin off episodes, if you can call them that. Theyre not bad, but they should have spread them out a bit more. Think ill finish the show tomorrow and I already wish there was more.
As in the tv show Leverage ?

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with Nausicaa, this has been one of the most epic in scale funny books I've read. It reminds me a lot of how I felt reading The Metabarons.

Oct 25, 2017
As in the tv show Leverage ?
Yup.
Almost done with Nausicaa, this has been one of the most epic in scale funny books I've read. It reminds me a lot of how I felt reading The Metabarons.
Hey, while your here, do you know how many omnis Blade of the Immortal will be? Thought they were all out till I saw the 9th one was up for pre-order. Also, have you seen the movie?

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, while your here, do you know how many omnis Blade of the Immortal will be? Thought they were all out till I saw the 9th one was up for pre-order. Also, have you seen the movie?
It should be ten since each one is 3 volumes in one and there's 30 volumes in total.

And yeah, I actually saw the movie before reading the manga.

Oct 25, 2017
They have a Leverage comic ?
no lol, im watching the show after getting it recommended by a few here. Id read a comic based on the show though!

It should be ten since each one is 3 volumes in one and there's 30 volumes in total.

And yeah, I actually saw the movie before reading the manga.
Did you like the movie? I remember hearing about it and seeing the trailers but I never got around to watching it.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you like the movie? I remember hearing about it and seeing the trailers but I never got around to watching it.
I thought it was pretty good, I ended up watching it since Priscilla Page liked it so much and I tend to agree with her views on film. Though I didn't love it like she did.

Oct 27, 2017
no lol, im watching the show after getting it recommended by a few here. Id read a comic based on the show though!
Oh sorry lol, I got confused and thought I was in the wrong thread lmao.

I don't know if you've seen or heard of Hustle (UK tv show), but I really really recommend that. Iirc, Leverage was based on it.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole Mutant Massacre arc was so great. I reread that around this time last year when I was doing a big Claremont reread.
Yea just wrapped the Omni, not my first time reading the MM story(read it in trade), but a lot of the added issues in the Omni were new to me and most did highlight a lot of the fallout.

Just starting the Fall of the Mutants trades now, my first time reading it, probably dive into Inferno after. Keep going until I need a break I think.

Oct 25, 2017
I got around to reading an American comic for the first time in a while. I picked Green Lantern #3. Can we just have Morrison write this forever? Everything here was perfect. Using the Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan to do commentary on the American police system is brilliant. And without getting too spoilery, it reminds me of Zenith which is awesome. I think anyone who has read that will understand what I mean. I adore how hard it's leaning on the 2000AD style. I can't recommend this enough, it's easily the most interesting DC book right now.

I also started Dementia 21 based off of whatsinaname's previous recommendation. I'm familiar with the art here, but everything else is all new to me. It's full of some really dark humor so far but I'm enjoying it. Only got 3 chapters in, but the absurdity of the situations and conflicts in each one has been very funny so far. It's not what I was expecting at all and the body-horror art is too cool. It's a really interesting contrast.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea just wrapped the Omni, not my first time reading the MM story(read it in trade), but a lot of the added issues in the Omni were new to me and most did highlight a lot of the fallout.

Just starting the Fall of the Mutants trades now, my first time reading it, probably dive into Inferno after. Keep going until I need a break I think.
That's a nice little run through those three stories. Fall of the Mutants sets up one of the better eras of UXM and my favorite X book from that era.

Nov 6, 2017
Spain
Rereading Planetary and it's still so fucking good in every way.

The shiftship being the meteorite that killed the dinosaurs is just perfection

I forgot about all this stuff and I love it all so much

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through The Wild Storm (only a few issues in) and HOLY CRAP. Fantastic writing, intriguing setup, and ridiculously amazing art.
VanWinkle reading Astro City and Wild Storm on the same day. How can you go back to regular comics after this.

Overall, I ended up liking it more than the movie. It was great how he was able to keep the book so succinct and yet give it such a large scale.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like John Mcea (co-creator of DC’s HITMAN) is at Marvel now and drew and 21 page story in UXM #11. Also, UXM #11 is 72 pages, so expect another $8-10 price with a could random stories thrown together like UXM #1.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you order it from Barnes & Noble, or somewhere else?

Expect lots of 9 panel grids
Amazon. I'm trying to get away from ordering my trades from Amazon, since I'd rather go through IST or even a local shop. The Prime shipping and cash back I get is hard to beat, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Ordered the first trade of Miracle Men. Should be here next month.

Going in 100% blind. What should I expect?
Assuming this is the King version - you should expect the complete story, because all 12 issues are in that single tpb.

Looking forward to it myself, since I only read the first issue. Waiting on a hardcover for physical, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming this is the King version - you should expect the complete story, because all 12 issues are in that single tpb.

Looking forward to it myself, since I only read the first issue. Waiting on a hardcover for physical, though.
Yes, it's King's Mister Miracle. Got the names mixed up.

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I asked about the B&N version of the Mister Miracle tpb is because they have some sort of exclusive version. Looks like all that’s different though is the cover (which is neat) and it has the script for the first issue. BC said it was a hardcover, but it doesn’t look like it actually is.

All versions though come with a neat prologue that’s supposed to give people a primer on the new gods.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The reason I asked about the B&N version of the Mister Miracle tpb is because they have some sort of exclusive version. Looks like all that’s different though is the cover (which is neat) and it has the script for the first issue. BC said it was a hardcover, but it doesn’t look like it actually is.

All versions though come with a neat prologue that’s supposed to give people a primer on the new gods.
That was a mistake. Its not a hardcover

Status
Not open for further replies.