• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
You should skip all of rebirth and read manga instead.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
New Conan Omni is 55% off(!!) on IST(57% if you have the loyalty discount). Never seen a new book launch with that deep a discount...mindful it is the variant cover, while the BWS original cover is 45% discounted. (Most probably want that one.)

So ~$15 difference for a dust-jacket image.

Edit: LOL the original cover already sold out in less than an hour. :p

Defenitly don't skip Tomasi's Superman. Bendis doesn't take over until like issue 45, so they're tons of great stuff to read before then. Plus Tomasi's Super Sons, which spin off of his Superman run, is some of the best comics I've read out of the Rebirth stuff.

Agreed. (Also Jurgens' Action Comics Rebirth run is fun too)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
This is T R E A S O N
EnergeticWarlikeAmberpenshell-small.gif

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, it seems like I should start Rebirth and quit before Bendis takes over. Fair enough, it'll be a while until I get there anyway.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
My friend caught up with Giant Days and now only wants funny comics.

I recommended Fraction's Hawkeye and Squirrel Girl but I need some help

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SageShinigami If I want to get into the 90s Legion (the one where XS is from since that's my only frame of reference and you called it your favourite) what trade do I pick up? There's like a million LoSH series on CMX.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
SageShinigami If I want to get into the 90s Legion (the one where XS is from since that's my only frame of reference and you called it your favourite) what trade do I pick up? There's like a million LoSH series on CMX.

Legionnaires Book One
Legionnaires Book Two
The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol. 1&2

The first two are the start of the 90s Legion, collecting both LOSH and Legionnaires. The other two skip to the end of LOSH and Legionnaires, collecting all of the DNA run.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
My friend caught up with Giant Days and now only wants funny comics.

I recommended Fraction's Hawkeye and Squirrel Girl but I need some help
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
SuperMutant Magic Academy
Sexcastle
Nextwave
Kyle Baker stuff (You Are Here and Plastic Man in particular)
Scott Pilgrim and Snotgirl

Depending on the content they're ok with (drugs and so on), Megahex might be worth a shot too. Not for everyone though, so might wanna keep that in mind. Check some Megg and Mogg strips on VICE for some examples.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legionnaires Book One
Legionnaires Book Two
The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol. 1&2

The first two are the start of the 90s Legion, collecting both LOSH and Legionnaires. The other two skip to the end of LOSH and Legionnaires, collecting all of the DNA run.

Thanks. Is the middle before the DnA run not worth reading?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should be studying and doing homework reading comics but instead I'm watching Planet With.

No, they'd just never collected it before. The DnA run was particularly beloved, but the Archie Legion was fun. I read it five years ago and it was addicting, so long as you know what you're getting into WRT 90s storytelling.

It's all on CMX in individual issues so I suppose I'll pick them up if I like the Legionnaires trade. Also I love 90s comics so I think I'm in good hands.

Maybe Lumberjanes? And Backstagers.

Backstagers is a must-read.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Only one more day until the extremely good and memorable X-Men: Disassembled weekly event is over. Bring on Cyclops.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Anything that's not from Marvel is cool too, ey

Superior Foes of Spider-Man
SuperMutant Magic Academy
Sexcastle
Nextwave
Kyle Baker stuff (You Are Here and Plastic Man in particular)
Scott Pilgrim and Snotgirl

Depending on the content they're ok with (drugs and so on), Megahex might be worth a shot too. Not for everyone though, so might wanna keep that in mind. Check some Megg and Mogg strips on VICE for some examples.
Thanks!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impulse only has the Omnibus and not an ongoing TPB collection like other 90s DC series right? I'm about to start collecting it on CMX but I like the series enough that I'd splurge for physical, only some of the best material in the series is loaded in the back half after Mark Waid leaves and Todd Dezago takes over.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Whats up with Kitty Pryde and that Purple Dragon? And why isnt it always with her, its badass.

I finally finished Drowned Earth. Gotta say I wasnt a big fan of it at all. There were some fun parts in the beginning, but it started to drag pretty quickly. Howard Porter had the best art in the entire thing also, but was only used for the Alpha and Omega issues.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Whats up with Kitty Pryde and that Purple Dragon? And why isnt it always with her, its badass.

I finally finished Drowned Earth. Gotta say I wasnt a big fan of it at all. There were some fun parts in the beginning, but it started to drag pretty quickly. Howard Porter had the best art in the entire thing also, but was only used for the Alpha and Omega issues.
Lockheed got married, settled down and had kids some time before X-Men Gold's wedding

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

That's Lockheed. Pet alien dragon that was introduced in early 80's X-Men. Basically the team takes on the Brood(alien race) in space and Lockheed shows up and bonds with Kitty. Sticks around and becomes her partner/pet.

Snake

Oct 25, 2017
Someone asked for help with the Legion of Super-Heroes a few pages back. Was it Aizō? I'm not sure. Still. Here's a run down for everyone.

There are "four" versions of the Legion. Each group has its own quirks making it stand out from the rest.

1.) The Originals: This was the group that's been around the longest. They date back into the late 50's, but you'll get lost in a ton of early Silver Age stuff if you try to follow them from this point. The only notable run is Jim Shooter's, but even that is arguably skippable and Shooter has a stronger run worth following later on.
The first writer to really glom on to the Legion and make them into something big is Paul Levitz. He hops onto the team with Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #225, and writes the book fairly consistently until 251. After that he goes away for a while, and since this is way too much history to recap we're gonna skip ahead a bit. The Legion of Super-Heroes don't get their own comic book until Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes transforms into "The Legion of Super-Heroes (vol. 2)". It's confusing, but they keep the same numbering so their first ongoing issue is "The Legion of Super-Heroes #259". Volume 1 by the way is a random mini-series collecting older LOSH tales.

Anyway, Paul Levitz comes back for LOSH #281 and stays on the book for ages after this. This is where he eventually does The Great Darkness Saga, which happens around LOSH v2 290. He builds the team up over time until they become popular enough to support two different ongoings, so in 1984 DC launches The Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 3 #1 with Levitz and Keith Giffen handling the writing, while LOSH v2 becomes Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes with 314. Things were going well here, but COIE would eventually knock things off the rails, as John Byrne's new origin for Superman set things up so that Superboy was never a thing, and so he was never a member of the Legion, something which had to be explained. The attempt to do that led to the introduction of a "pocket universe" where "their" Superboy was supposedly from, and he eventually died during some massive crossover.

Legion of Super-Heroes v3 ended at #63, while Tales of the Legion stops at 325. (Tales continues but only republishing reprints after this.) After this, Levitz is out the door and you've got Keith Giffen taking over the characters for what happens next.

Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 4 #1 is set five years after the last story of Levitz/Giffen, The "Magic Wars". Giffen's time on the characters, alongside Tom and Mary Bierbaum, is controversial for a lot of reasons, chief of which being he took the idyllic future of the Legion and made it a much more dark, cynical place. This is also where you get the retcon for Mon-El becoming the inspiration for the Legion, because my understanding is DC wanted no references to Superman or Superboy at all in the Legion. They were weird back then.

The other reason people got frustrated is Giffen introduced a bunch of clones: the Batch SW6, who'd been created by the Dominators. They got their own book, a light-hearted comic known as Legionnaires. This was supposed to be the Legion's own Clone Saga basically, because he was fully intending to confirm the clones as the real ones. Fortunately DC's constant big events made that an impossibility. Zero Hour would force the first proper reboot on the team in 1994, putting an end to 5YL.

2.) Post Zero Hour: Mark Waid, Tom McCraw, and Tom Peyer headed up a reboot of the Legion in 1994. At the time they were called the Archie Legion, thanks to Jeffrey Moy's lighter, more cartoony artstyle. This wouldn't have been out of place as a part of the DCAU. Yet again they didn't really reboot the numbering, so post Zero-Hour starts with Legionnaires Vol. 1 #19 and Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 4 #63. This book stuck around for the better part of the 90's, and spent most of its time reestablishing the Legion and their villains in this new universe. This is where you get characters like XS btw.

This is my personal favorite incarnation of the Legion, not only because its the one I grew up with, but also because it was the most diverse both racially and artistically. This run lasted up until #125 and 81. It's all fun, but most of it isn't collected. The very beginning is, and the last trade which starts Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning is though.

Speaking of, DnA take over the book after this, but first they do Legion Lost and Legion Worlds. LL tells the story of a group of Legionnaires lost on the other side of the universe, while Worlds talks about the Legionnaires who were left in the United Planets.

This all culminates in The Legion, a 36 issue run that caps off the Post Zero Hour era of the team. The stories are slightly darker along the lines of the 5YL stuff, but the story is better than ever. Well worth getting the whole thing.

3.) Threeboot: For whatever reason Dan Didio decided the Post Zero Hour Legion needed to go away and we needed a reboot. So he called up Mark Waid (again) and had him come up with a new vision for the heroes of tomorrow. This is where we get the threeboot team, set in a much more realistic version of the future, where all the heroes of the past have gone into legend, and may "never have existed at all". (This would eventually be explained away by saying the Threeboot version of the team belonged to Earth-Prime.) If anyone's keeping count, this is The Legion of Super-Heroes Vol. 5.

Mark stays on this book for roughly 30 issues or so, with the first half introducing his new Legion--a group of teens striking back against an oppressive regime of adults, and coining the "legendary" phrase, "Eat it, Grandpa" for the team's new rallying cry. The second half of his book brought Supergirl in for a sales boost, but while this might've worked, DC kinda shot themselves in the foot by showing the "original Legion", giving old school fans no reason to even continue with the newer team.

Despite Waid's rather silly characterization of teens, the first 30 issues of this are fairly strong. But what I found much stronger were Jim Shooter's issues, which ran from #37 to 50, the final issue. Jim not only had some inspired ideas for this universe, but this gave us what I believe is Francis Manapul's first big two assignment. It's beautiful stuff even here, and well worth tracking down if you're interested.

4.) Fourth Coming: Shortly after Infinite Crisis, Geoff Johns thought it'd be a good idea to revive the Legion. The "original" Legion everyone loved. So one of the first storylines he did alongside Brad Meltzer was a JLA/JSA crossover called The Lightning Saga. This would eventually lead into Johns' Action Comics Legion story, "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes", and conclude with Legion of Three Worlds, which took all three previous versions (plus the others) and gave them one big, "final" story.

After this, Johns was thought to write the Legion, but with him writing multiple ongoings he was never able to find the time. He did Adventure Comics, a Superboy book with a Legion of Super-Heroes back up, for six issues, before leaving the title to Jeff Lemire. The Legion went back to Paul Levitz, but none of these stories are good. The team would survive the New 52, but those stories are worse, and the book finally came to an end in 2012 or so. Basically, only pay attention to the Johns' trilogy from this era.

Hope that all helps as far as figuring out the chronology of things. If anyone needs more clarification, just let me know.

I wasn't the one who asked for advice, but thanks a lot for this post. I've collected [and enjoyed] a bunch of '80s Legion of Super-Heroes comics but didn't know what to get when I reached the 90s and beyond. So this was extremely helpful.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Why are people ragging on Manapul these days

Or was that also you the last time who said it?

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. What makes you think he would be a good fit?
1) His character work has always been strong. While I don't much care for "guidance counselor" Supergirl (I vastly prefer the more cocky version from the DCAU), he made that version work and it was compelling. His JLA run wasn't very good because the plotting and action weren't very strong until the Microverse stuff, but his character work was always on point. Every single one of those characters felt unique and genuine and just on point with what I felt those characters should be or at the very least are. The chemistry felt very organic as well. So while perhaps his plotting and action aren't on point, his character work is always fantastic.

2) His knowledge of DC history. Seriously, this guy makes cuts so deep I've had to wiki them (or at the very least ask about them on here). If a sense legacy is the primary core for a JSA series, then would such an extensive knowledge not be the biggest benefit?

Only one I don't like is Gambit. All the rest are pretty good.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Lockheed got married, settled down and had kids some time before X-Men Gold's wedding
Thats a bummer. Maybe the kids will take up his place with Kitty. If I was writing her Lockheed would be with her all the time.

Why are people ragging on Manapul these days

Or was that also you the last time who said it?
Yea that was me the other day. I think its more just his current colorist. His art is fine, I just dont like the muted colors thats always used on his art nowadays

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a bummer. Maybe the kids will take up his place with Kitty. If I was writing her Lockheed would be with her all the time.

Yea that was me the other day. I think its more just his current colorist. His art is fine, I just dont like the muted colors thats always used on his art nowadays
He's his own colorist now, cuz Bucc moved in from DC for good after their Detective Comics run was cut short. I also think he just wanted to color good own stuff. Were you not into his Darkseid Wars stuff either?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

Is this Shinning Knight from Seven Soldiers?

He's his own colorist now, cuz Bucc moved in from DC for good after their Detective Comics run was cut short. I also think he just wanted to color good own stuff. Were you not into his Darkseid Wars stuff either?
His Flash art was great. That was Bucc doing the coloring then? I dont remember having a problem with his Darkseid Wars, it wasnt until No Justice that I noticed the change.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Is this Shinning Knight from Seven Soldiers?

His Flash art was great. That was Bucc doing the coloring then? I dont remember having a problem with his Darkseid Wars, it wasnt until No Justice that I noticed the change.
I loved his colors in No Justice, personally. Feel like a smart evolution of his Darkseid Wasy stuff.

And yeah, that's Shining Knight.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Do people not like Shining Knight, or they just dont want to see him in Heroes in Crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.