• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with the Bakugo talk, except to say I wish people would stop conflating dislike with misunderstanding. It's shounen manga. It's not Umberto Eco. There's a difference between wanting to beat whatever obstacle is in front of you, and calling people worthless. Yes, let me root for this incredibly gifted individual who treated a kid without a quirk like shit his entire life when he was a big fish in a small pond. There's a significant difference between hoping for his redemption and liking him.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I just woke up and I'm about to read some comics, but this Bakugo talk got me wild. I like him and have since S1. He's clearly a kid who has more shit going on than what he lets on even from the beginning. If you're curious about it like I was, then watching him closely pays off huge.

That's not what gets me. What gets me is how easy it is for people to label him as "villainous." His motivation is to be like All Might to beat the bad guys. He's not power hungry, but his drive is to be the strongest and in his mind the best hero is the one that always wins. Deku's version of winning is protecting people at the cost of his own life, which is borderline suicidal. Eraser Head points out how stupid Deku's logic is at like episode 6 or whatever. Bakugo's version is beating the bad guys. Best defense is a good offense and all that. He's not all about power though, because we see that with Endeavor. He rarely if ever underestimates his opponents because he's the only one, save for maybe Deku, who didn't think of Uraraka as some frail girl. He treats every battle as 100% serious. Which makes his relationship with Deku that much more interesting given how different the dynamic is. I don't want to spoil too much, but there's a lot of stuff there if you pay attention, but it's easy not to given how explosive and abrasive he his. If you do pay attention then the arc pays off massively.

I mean to boil it down, he's basically Black Star. And Black Star's fucking awesome.
53186c3bcfacbcdfe923ddc799f8512e.gif

My man!

I'm done with the Bakugo talk, except to say I wish people would stop conflating dislike with misunderstanding. It's shounen manga. It's not Umberto Eco. There's a difference between wanting to beat whatever obstacle is in front of you, and calling people worthless. Yes, let me root for this incredibly gifted individual who treated a kid without a quirk like shit his entire life when he was a big fish in a small pond. There's a significant difference between hoping for his redemption and liking him.

We were just trying to explain why people like him. What traits people are drawn to. Hell there are people who love Endeavor.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Also...dude is never going to be evil. People who say that shit just don't get him lol. Hes literally the most driven person to be a hero.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So I read the DC Comics April solicits. Looking fun. Titans ending though? Crap. I need a Kyle Rayner ongoing! :(
Yea we do! Pissed DC cancelled the 3rd Rayner GL complete collection vol. also. They should have atleast released it digitally.

I forgot to mention when I read the book yesterday, but the art in TMNT: Shredder in Hell #1 is super lovely.
His work on the Secret History of the Foot Clan was so good. Is it in continuity though? I dont need to know specifics, but theres so many spin offs that its hard to tell if it is or not lol. Cant wait to read it though if it is.

Speaking of TMNT, the most recent IDW Collection only has like 2 or 3 actual TMNT issues in it, and the rest are Bebop and Rocksteady issues lol.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
My man!

We were just trying to explain why people like him. What traits people are drawn to. Hell there are people who love Endeavor.

I'm not being dismissive and I appreciate the discussion. I'm just putting a cork in my contributions for now because I don't want to upset anyone else in the thread. I wouldn't have come in here if I didn't want to talk to you guys, but I also understand that it might be irritating for people who just want to talk American comics. I started season three last night, so I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later!

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being dismissive and I appreciate the discussion. I'm just putting a cork in my contributions for now because I don't want to upset anyone else in the thread. I wouldn't have come in here if I didn't want to talk to you guys, but I also understand that it might be irritating for people who just want to talk American comics. I started season three last night, so I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later!

I am more irritated that you are reading American comics than shit talking my fave anime character ever tbh. People here don't read comics. Also we have gone through many iterations where people talk about soccer, houston rockets, american politics, splitting the thread into 2, manga and funko pop.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
What do you like about it? I haven't been following it much, I might just pick it up on an impulse if there's some enjoyment to be had

It's just kind of dopey fun. Art is decent, and I like the idea of the cops wearing all of Dick's old costumes and Ric leading them. I figure it's gonna go back to status quo eventually anyway .

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Green Lanterns, I love this new design for Sinestro! Looks like the same suit as Parralax Hal Jordan.

Wish they had used something similar for Justice League, but the Ultraviolet version.

It's the Parallax version of Sinestro. I wanna say he became the host of Parallax in Johns last issue of GL, but also showed up in Forever Evil in that costume as well.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
All of the single issues from that run are available digitally at least.
Luckily yes. I guess Ill wait for a B1G1 sale or something.

Do you know what happened to Hal Jordan's ring around the end of the New 52 GL run? Or what happened to the entire Corps.? They all got sucked away somewhere I guess and they dont explain it in the Rebirth run, or atleast they havent yet.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily yes. I guess Ill wait for a B1G1 sale or something.

Do you know what happened to Hal Jordan's ring around the end of the New 52 GL run? Or what happened to the entire Corps.? They all got sucked away somewhere I guess and they dont explain it in the Rebirth run, or atleast they havent yet.

I bailed after Johns left, but from what I've gathered Hal gave up his ring and then forged a new one made purely of will. DC largely ignored all the later N52 stuff for the GL books going into Rebirth, so you'll be safe doing the same.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I bailed after Johns left, but from what I've gathered Hal gave up his ring and then forged a new one made purely of will. DC largely ignored all the later N52 stuff for the GL books going into Rebirth, so you'll be safe doing the same.
Ok thanks. I did the exact same thing lol. I read a little bit of the stuff after he left but I wasnt a big fan of it at the time.

The Rebirth stuff has been a huge improvement though. Much more interesting, and the art is soo good (and im not talking about the CG guy)!

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok thanks. I did the exact same thing lol. I read a little bit of the stuff after he left but I wasnt a big fan of it at the time.

The Rebirth stuff has been a huge improvement though. Much more interesting, and the art is soo good (and im not talking about the CG guy)!

I eventually bailed on the Rebirth run because I hate how Venditti wrote some of the more notable Lanterns, but Rafa Sandoval's art was always great.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone following Paradiso from Image comics? Does it end at v2? I just read volume 1 and while the art was great, the setting and writing is nothing out of this world. (It was nice to see a comic at a major publisher from a desi writer/artist team).

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
You think Deku is like that?
You don't? It's not like I think he'll do it just to do it. There will a good reason why.
I just see it happening and Bakugo not getting what he wants the way he thinks he'll get it but will just have to do it and that'll be the biggest moment if him getting over himself.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Bakugo's problem is that All-Might (and the other teachers to a lesser extent) are kinda shitty teachers when it comes to emotional growth and heroic values and shit. All they care is that the boy hits the villains hard and wants to be a hero and that's enough for them

(Obviously it's not only their fault but they could've done things A LOT better)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really do enjoy MHA but, honestly, I find it hard to get attached to any of the characters because they're all pretty traditional shonen archetypes. (Except Tsuyu. She's great.)

Finally opened up my Slott/Allred Silver Surfer Omnibus and have been making my way through that. Still funny and charming, and I'd forgotten most of the early stuff, so it's fun to revisit it. Crazy how much faster paced it feels than in my memory - I guess following it monthly and having those huge delays at the end made it feel like there was so much more. Like, I thought there were more random one-off adventures near the beginning, but nope, there's only 2-3 issues of it.

The art really pops at larger size and I'm really blown away by the quality of Laura Allred's coloring - the Surfer is subtly reflective in a way that I never noticed reading in floppies. I just wish the paper quality was better.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
You don't? It's not like I think he'll do it just to do it. There will a good reason why.
I just see it happening and Bakugo not getting what he wants the way he thinks he'll get it but will just have to do it and that'll be the biggest moment if him getting over himself.

Yeah, I guess I can see this thing happening. It would be really cool but it would mean Deku gets properly fucked up.

It would kill Bakugo to have to get that power like that. Its like the sports festival all over again.

I actually felt bad for me lol :(

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
George Perez announces his retirement

Guy's a legend. Here's to a well deserved rest.
Hope he's got enough money in the bank that he can just enjoy retirement. Dude is a legend.
DC solicits are leaking. Damage and Titans are ending. Gene Luen Yang is Lemire's replacement on Terrifics. This is the Batman cover so please don't kill me Messi :

batman-600x923.png
Yang on an ongoing again? Hell yeah, super happy to see this and that he got Terrifics. His story in the Annual was great.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So it looks like Jurgens is taking over Nightwing instead of Esquivel. It looks like the Ric story is continuing though(which was to be expected).
I'm sure it'll be a very exciting way to do Ric Grayson's greatest hits.

It won't be.
Ric having his own Nightwings? It does sound fun
It could be if the character work was better. The problem is that Dixon forged Nightwing into a symbol against corruption, due to the fact that Bludhaven is supposed to be basically the most morally bankrupt and corrupt place on the planet. Seeley and Humphries both played that up. Humphries especially given that he had The Judge -- practically a biblical entity dedicated to punishing the corrupt -- on the opposing side to Nightwing who still sided with true justice. Plus there's been this more recent analog of Dick being Robin Hood -- giving back to the people the system fucked over.

The problem is that Ric is a different character who still retains a similar moral core to Dick, and the Nightwings are a bunch of cops (and one fire chief) who are largely shady as shit and believe that, "Hey as cops we aren't doing enough. But Nightwing can do more, so we all become Nightwing and break the law we want to prove works." Hopefully Svoboda gets played up in this arc or otherwise there's a huge opportunity being missed and we're just part of a boring reboot to a status quo that hasn't fully been taken advantage of since Humphries.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
His work on the Secret History of the Foot Clan was so good. Is it in continuity though? I dont need to know specifics, but theres so many spin offs that its hard to tell if it is or not lol. Cant wait to read it though if it is.
There's no reason to think that it isn't. Shredder is dead in the main TMNT book. There's no way they don't bring him back at some point.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Yeahhh... okay, someone in editorial needs to pull Tom back and be like "Hey, I know you seen some shit but... can you not in the kids focused product?"
inb4 bear force one overly aggressively reacts to this.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to think that it isn't. Shredder is dead in the main TMNT book. There's no way they don't bring him back at some point.
Havent gotten that far yet, but I figured it would be. While were on the subject, how is this TMNT Universe comic? Looks like the first few issues are included with the latest IDW Collection, along with the Bebop and Rocksteady mini.

Yeahhh... okay, someone in editorial needs to pull Tom back and be like "Hey, I know you seen some shit but... can you not in the kids focused product?"
inb4 bear force one overly aggressively reacts to this.

I get why parents would be upset and all, but from the few images in that tweet it doesnt really look all that bad. I mean I get it, just having Lois get "murdered" is bad enough, but I dont see any overly graphic scenes in those images...

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Havent gotten that far yet, but I figured it would be. While were on the subject, how is this TMNT Universe comic? Looks like the first few issues are included with the latest IDW Collection, along with the Bebop and Rocksteady mini.

I get why parents would be upset and all, but from the few images in that tweet it doesnt really look all that bad. I mean I get it, just having Lois get "murdered" is bad enough, but I dont see any overly graphic scenes in those images...
Also, isn't this the series that had a brutal boxing match?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I jump in and out. I almost want to say it's like a series of filler stories. The only ones I've really liked were the stories with Alopex / Raph and the arc that focused on Karai.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

But doing it multiple times over in the same 12 page story?

Could be intense for single digiters... Like home girl gets murdered execution style with a bullet to the forehead in that first page with her dead lifeless face looking at the reader. It's not exactly PG stuff that I understand is in the 100 Page Giants at Wal-mart.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I mean I get it. It shouldnt have been allowed in the Walmart comics.

--------------

Trying to find this Elseworlds story called The Longest Night that was in The Adventures of Superman Annual #6 and Superboy Annual #1, but it doesnt look like CMX has those individual issues. Anyone know if it was reprinted in a collected edition by any chance? Ive searched but couldnt find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.