• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Bart came back in Flash War, but the Flashes haven't acknowledged him since. Like, this is a key Flash Family member that's been roundly ignored, I assume because Bendis called dibs. So yeah, this is more of a DC Comics problem. And Tim's been gone since Detective ended, and this is a bit harder to square with how his run there—he didn't want to do the superhero thing anymore—but then he's also met Bart?

It's just... weird.

I'm willing to ignore most of it because Young Justice is back, baby.

I mean, that's pretty much it, right?

I kind of feel like this is the consequence of DC wanting to have their cake and eat it too with Rebirth not fully going back to pre-New 52 continuity.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Only nerds care about continuity
hqdefault.jpg

Rebirth literally worked by bringing back continuity.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
sorry that i didn't look through the whole thread if this already got discussed but how did you guys like the new criminal? i started reading the old run a year ago or so and stopped after coward, because i loved the first arc so much i wanted to get the rest of the series in print form.. but after months of hoping and waiting for the old criminal comics to be reprinted in my first language i kinda gave up and started reading lawless (vol. 2) in english now and oh wow, it's fantastic. i think i love coward a tiny bit more than lawless but still it's a 10/10 comic for me.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
And look where we're at now

Z8RxAE9.jpg

Rebirth worked with the promise of continuity and not actually fulfilling it.The quality of the stories was what kept it afloat.
And the quality was influenced by the renewed vigor of returned continuity. Look at Percy. Mediocre on New 52 GA, great on Rebirth GA.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
sorry that i didn't look through the whole thread if this already got discussed but how did you guys like the new criminal? i started reading the old run a year ago or so and stopped after coward, because i loved the first arc so much i wanted to get the rest of the series in print form.. but after months of hoping and waiting for the old criminal comics to be reprinted in my first language i kinda gave up and started reading lawless (vol. 2) in english now and oh wow, it's fantastic. i think i love coward a tiny bit more than lawless but still it's a 10/10 comic for me.
The new issue was fucking good. I can't wait for more.

Keep going with the old ones. Each volume has a fantastic story to tell. I kept having a new favorite as I went through.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Or better artists and editor. Look at Percy's work on GA with Schmidt/Ferreyra while being edited by Khouri vs literally all of of his other work in that period.
The direction of GA completely changed and leaned into the character's legacy far more than New 52 allowed. That doesn't mean better (subjective) artists and editor didn't help, but the art and editor certainly wasn't the main reason I got interested in GA Rebirth.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
The direction of GA completely changed and leaned into the character's legacy far more than New 52 allowed. That doesn't mean better (subjective) artists and editor didn't help, but the art and editor certainly wasn't the main reason I got interested in GA Rebirth.
Sure, but if you add continuity and take away those artist and editor you would have a mediocre book again :/

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but if you add continuity and take away those artist and editor you would have a mediocre book again :/
Not necessarily. New 52 GA had pretty great art. As for the editor, I don't know how much input he had into the direction of the book, but I know that, at the beginning of Rebirth, Johns and each writer sat down to hammer out a new direction for each book.

Interesting to note that, while you look toward the editor/artist for Teen Titans'/Nightwing's downfall, I would point out that neither of those books in any way embraced the legacy of the teams/characters like GA did.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. New 52 GA had pretty great art. As for the editor, I don't know how much input he had into the direction of the book, but I know that, at the beginning of Rebirth, Johns and each writer sat down to hammer out a new direction for each book.

Interesting to note that, while you look toward the editor/artist for Teen Titans'/Nightwing's downfall, I would point out that neither of those books in any way embraced the legacy of the teams/characters like GA did.
All I know is Benjamin Percy makes mediocre books.GA benefitted from a strong editor who knew how to utilize Percy's talents and a strong art team.No amount of continuity is gonna cover that.

If adherence to continuity was a make or break then why where books like Abnetts Titans, Bensons BoP, Jurgens Action Comics, Vendetti GLC, Early Abnett Aquaman, Blue Beetle, and etc aggressively mediocre?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow-how long has Magott been back hanging around with the X-Men? Did I miss a story somewhere?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
All I know is Benjamin Percy makes mediocre books.GA benefitted from a strong editor who knew how to utilize Percy's talents and a strong art team.No amount of continuity is gonna cover that.

If adherence to continuity was a make or break then why where books like Abnetts Titans, Bensons BoP, Jurgens Action Comics, Vendetti GLC, Early Abnett Aquaman, Blue Beetle, and etc aggressively mediocre?

Continuity is a tool for writers, but like all tools it is only useful in the hands in someone who knows how to utilise it properly. Using it properly also won't help the story if the writer is mediocre, that's all on the writer. They could ignore continuity entirely and remain mediocre.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Grabbed the Dreaming #5. I still don't like what they did to Lucien and to a lesser extent, Mervyn. Dora remains annoying, but that seems to be her character flaw so I'm kinda ok with that? It'll be better if she has a foil to challenge her. Don't think I'll continue pulling at this point, unless there are large changes in the future

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strong editorial direction was the bedrock that Rebirth was built on - continuity wasn't the only part of that but it was a big part of it. I suspect about DCYou going "do whatever you want, let's get weird" and failing they sort of said "we're going back to basics, what's your plan?"

I'll maintain that Marvel and DC have been putting out an equal number of great books over the past few years. But the difference is that DC had a strong linewide ethos, which buoyed the mediocre books, while Marvel had no idea what they were doing and sent their also-rans out to die. Like, Jurgens on Action Comics wasn't great, but it was consistent, clear in its goals, and ran for 40+ issues with solid creatives. How often was Marvel getting past 12 issues?

That linewide ethos seems sort of frayed nowadays, which is why DC feels like it's starting to lose its luster (for me at least).

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I should add anymore issues to my pull list, but the buzz around Criminal is hyper positive. Same with Martian Manhunter. The latest issue has some wild art that is right up my alley.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...els-of-2019-from-miracleman-to-scrooge-mcduck

The Guardian has a list of comics to look forward to this year. Some interesting stuff coming up (and some on-goings I was not aware of).

Literary superstar Neil Gaiman has two new comic projects: firstly, The Problem of Susan and Other Stories (Dark Horse, February), graphic takes on his short stories by P Craig Russell, Scott Hampton and Paul Chadwick. Dark Horse has already put out 10 of these books; they're always surprisingly pretty and any new work by Russell is a welcome sight.

Anone reading Anders Nilsen's Tongues? It looks super interesting.

http://www.whatthingsdo.com/shop/tongues-1

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I should add anymore issues to my pull list, but the buzz around Criminal is hyper positive. Same with Martian Manhunter. The latest issue has some wild art that is right up my alley.

All the art in Martian Manhunter will be by Riley Rossmo

Oct 27, 2017
"Hi, my name is Ed Brubaker and I fuckin love crime."

Criminal #1 was pretty good. Count me in.

I also read:

Uncanny X-Men #9 - Transitional issue, but still very enjoyable. Things are about to go even more perpendicular.
Punisher #6 - This was more fun than I expected. Rosenberg is going a good job.
Bully Wars #5 - I love this mainly for the Conley art and innovative panel layouts. They are a wonder to behold.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That's just Bendis, he doesn't give a shit what your other books say.

I remember there was a few plot points he straight up ignored on his books his last few years at Marvel lol.

But even then Young Justice was so good and such a positive change to the status quo that I don't mind if he ignores continuity.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I probably missed this conversation but DC coming to cmxu is particularly odd given its supposed to be a draw to dc universe.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up about 10 issues ago. What's so bad about these most recent one-offs? The Gerads art was almost enough to pull me back in.

Ever watch anime? Like, the long running ones. Where they introduce a plot point which is really interesting before suddenly switching to some side character you don't care about. And while you're like "Wait, what about that other really interesting thing you just did", the show's like "Well hold on let me tell you about all these other disparate plot threads which will be important later!" ?

That's what happened. Suddenly we're reading all these side stories.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How was Criminal as a new starting point? Can it be read fine without reading the previous issues?

Oct 27, 2017
How was Criminal as a new starting point? Can it be read fine without reading the previous issues?

This was my first issue of Criminal - absolutely no background or experience.

The first issue read great stand-alone. If you have additional experience with the series, I am sure you would get more out of it. At the end of the issue, Brubaker provides a rough overview of the previous releases and what narrative ground they covered. Issue #2 will apparently not directly involve what occurred in issue #1, so this new series will skip around a lot and focus on various characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.