• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I ordered Volume 1-3 of Spider-Gwen as Im interested in reading about her, also bought the entire Secret Wars saga as I haven't gotten to it. Im STOKED!!!

Also might order some Moon Knight comic, any good ones out there?

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
The Japanese work ethic is leagues better than the American work ethic. There are a few series which go on hiatus from time to time. Since these are decades-long stories, I think using the few exceptions (Berserk, HunterxHunter) as an example for the whole industry is unfair.

Years ago, I used to malign Tony Moore a lot for his inability to see anything through. That's how he lost the coveted art spot to Charlie Adlard on Walking Dead. He is a very talented artist with a woeful work ethic and no commitment to anything long-term. His wife wasn't too happy with me saying that publicly, so she got on the forums I was on to argue with me about it, heh.

He's a slow artist. I don't know that that necessarily means he has a woeful work ethic. I mean I think that was part of the reason Opena came onboard Fear Agent (to help keep it going) and Moore stuck with that through to the end in some capacity. I wouldn't use whatever happened around Walking Dead against him. There was all sorts going on there from what I remember including falling out with Kirkman.

Oct 25, 2017
Also man the art for Batman #62 ruled. I haven't read any other of King's run so far so I don't know if the "inner monologue for an entire issue" thing is unique but I did think that was kind of cool. The actual content of the issue though...

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I ordered Volume 1-3 of Spider-Gwen as Im interested in reading about her, also bought the entire Secret Wars saga as I haven't gotten to it. Im STOKED!!!

Also might order some Moon Knight comic, any good ones out there?
Warren Ellis, Jeff Lemire and Max Bemis. They're pretty different in tone from each other but they're all great

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Next month's OP will feature between 2 and 5 manga titles. Prepare yourself for ComicERA 2.0

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finishing this weeks Green Lantern. With that ending, its an official Police story now lol.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
ComicEra.

Comics.

20-something pages.

Remember for later.

Comics.

Polarizing reviews.

Messi threads.

He always makes threads.

Multiple pages of nothing.

Why does that guy care about Marvel so much?

They always want the same.

Respect.

(Why don't I post here anymore?)

Must be the same as always.

9 panels to explain things.

That could be summarized more succinctly.

Is this dramatic enough?

Let the Eisner's roll in.

Comics.
is that u former CIA operative Thomas King?

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hot take question. Characters that are only loved by one or 2 writers, but the writers who love them, LOVE them?

Like for an example Mark Gruenwald and Quasar

Fred Van Lente - Taskmaster

Mark Rosenberg - Strong Guy and Magik, he stans them hard

Al Ewing - Enigma/POD

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a writer at marvel who doesn't love Magik.

If they actually loved her she would show up and be written well. She hasn't been on an actual X-Man team since Extraordinary save a few awful, out of character appearances in Gold. New Mutants was her first on point rep since Extraordinary ended.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
If they actually loved her she would show up and be written well. She hasn't been on an actual X-Man team since Extraordinary save a few awful, out of character appearances in Gold. New Mutants was her first on point rep since Extraordinary ended.

Extraordinary was just a year ago

Lemire straight up said he wasn't going to write that book if he didn't get Magik

Bendis said Magik was his favorite X-man.

She just had a mini not even 6 montha ago

And a what if

And she's on the new main x-team.

Hell, Yoshida said her and Dani are his two favorite characters.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extraordinary was just a year ago

Lemire straight up said he wasn't going to write that book if he didn't get Magik

Bendis said Magik was his favorite X-man.

She just had a mini not even 6 montha ago

And a what if

And she's on the new main x-team.

Hell, Yoshida said her and Dani are his two favorite characters.

Sure, but saying something and proving it are not the same thing. Bendis misused her badly in Uncanny and the new team is Rosenberg so yeah him I know will stan Magik.

Never heard of Lemire or Yoshida so cant argue with you there

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, but saying something and proving it are not the same thing. Bendis misused her badly in Uncanny and the new team is Rosenberg so yeah him I know will stan Magik.

Never heard of Lemire or Yoshida so cant argue with you there
What was so egregious about Bendis' use of Magik in his run?

I've seen Bendis do some terrible things to some characters. All he ever did was jerk her off.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was so egregious about Bendis' use of Magik in his run?

I've seen Bendis do some terrible things to some characters. All he ever did was jerk her off.

She barely did anything but Magik School Bus people around

She could barely defend her own realm against a weakened Dormammu when she is supposed to be literally omnipotent there

She jacked Cyclops ego off the whole book when before she never had anything but contempt for authority figures besides a reluctant respect of Magneto

She jobbed constantly to slow-moving threats way below her weight class despite being, by far, the strongest character on the team

And just on general she flipped randomly between being a mature professor and torturing the younger X-Men just for kicks

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bendis with Magik is like Spencer with Taskmaster.

He SAYS he likes the character and uses them a lot, but it rings hollow because they are written incompetently and frequently with complete dismissal of their established personality and canon

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Has uncanny explained how cyclops is coming back?
Issue #11 should have the answers. probably.. maybe....

And in the very end of Extermination it was shown that Cyclops was apparently working with Kid Cable the entire time? You just see him in one panel on the very last page. He probably never died to begin with.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
She barely did anything but Magik School Bus people around

This is literally every writer

She could barely defend her own realm against a weakened Dormammu when she is supposed to be literally omnipotent there

You and I remember that arc very differently

3079712-3005246-uncanny%2Bx-men%2Bv3%2B005-010.jpg

She jacked Cyclops ego off the whole book when before she never had anything but contempt for authority figures besides a reluctant respect of Magneto

Ehhhhhh

She jobbed constantly to slow-moving threats way below her weight class despite being, by far, the strongest character on the team

Like several of her greatest feats are from Bendis' run.

Like that one time where she just teleported thebX-men half way across the galaxy like it was no big deal. Or when she just popped up on different sides of the planet instantly.

And just on general she flipped randomly between being a mature professor and torturing the younger X-Men just for kicks

... yeah. She kinda always was like that. Like... always. From the claremount runs she alqays bounced between incredibly mature and relentlessly reckless and petty.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
The UXM annual coming out on the 26th is all about Cyclops so the answers will be there.

PAD is the only guy that gave a shit about Madrox and wrote an 100+ issue run where he was basically the main fharacter.. I guess Rosenberg likes him too but he already fucked up the character so he doesn't count.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally every writer

You and I remember that arc very differently

3079712-3005246-uncanny%2Bx-men%2Bv3%2B005-010.jpg

Ehhhhhh

Like several of her greatest feats are from Bendis' run.

Like that one time where she just teleported thebX-men half way across the galaxy like it was no big deal. Or when she just popped up on different sides of the planet instantly.

... yeah. She kinda always was like that. Like... always. From the claremount runs she alqays bounced between incredibly mature and relentlessly reckless and petty.

I accept defeat. You clearly remember the run better than I do so I'll concede your points. My bad.

I stand by what I said about Task though

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it just struck me Astro City is over*. Sure the last issue was in 2018 but the final HC is out this May. 23 years. 110+ issues. Single creative team. And some of the greatest cape stories ever told.

(* There will/might be OGNs, but I don't know how frequent and with what scope.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Like Bendis' entire limbo arc was

"unlike literally everybody else who got the phoenix force, magik is actually way stronger andnthe big issue is that she's so powerful she can't control it

Whoops she learns to control it and kicks dormammu's teeth in."

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Bendis' entire limbo arc was

"unlike literally everybody else who got the phoenix force, magik is actually way stronger andnthe big issue is that she's so powerful she can't control it

Whoops she learns to control it and kicks dormammu's teeth in."

Yeah I misremembered sorry

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just read AvX and I loved it!

Well the Roger Stern 80's story from the Mutant Massacre Omni... 😜

marvel_x-men-vs-avengers_001.jpg

But really it was a solid story that continued the Trial of Magneto and acted as a referendum on all the crimes Magneto committed throughout the run up to this point as a villain. Nice justification for the Avengers and X-Men to actually bear fists(alongside a Russian superhero gang) without feeling that forced. Magneto committed heinous atrocities as a villain, two nations are after him for justice and the X-Men are protecting him as they would their own. The end kind of suffers, but it was a fun read.

The whole Mutant Massacre arc was so great. I reread that around this time last year when I was doing a big Claremont reread.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Next month's OP will feature between 2 and 5 manga titles. Prepare yourself for ComicERA 2.0
It's like we're actually regressing.
Y'all remember nocenti catwoman
RACE OF THIEVES
The UXM annual coming out on the 26th is all about Cyclops so the answers will be there.
How is it already time for an Annual? It feeks like Uncanny started like a month ago.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Have read the first six (of 22) issues of the 1996-2000 Astro City. Fantastic stuff. Really wish the art wasn't so...blah, but it's consistent at least.

Not sure if I'll go on past this run of 22 issues (plus the six issues that came before these ones started), because all of the stuff from 2001-2012 are not on CMX unlimited. The 52 issues from 2013-2018 are, but then I'd be missing a big chunk of stuff in between.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Have read the first six (of 22) issues of the 1996-2000 Astro City. Fantastic stuff. Really wish the art wasn't so...blah, but it's consistent at at least.

How good was that issue with the date!

I think Anderson works so well for the series. He has a great grasp of body language and facial expressions I think even if the art is not very distinctive.

And looking at his and Kurt's notes from the back material, he contributes a lot to the character design too.

Status
Not open for further replies.