• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Wow I actually really liked Avengers #12. Now I'm slightly more hopeful for War of Realms

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Haha. I actually just got a promotion at my real job! The translation is my side hustle. Freelance.

My editor is a friend I met in Japan when I studied abroad, and she saw a project dealing with Japanese music, so she offered it to me first. That's my passion.

Nice! Congratulations, that sounds great.

I went to Japan for a few months when I was in college, but I couldn't get anywhere professionally and had to come back early because of my poor health. I've been trying to find any career that'll let me use all the Japanese experience I have, but there's just not a lot in Pittsburgh. It sucks. I have a wife and a kid and a house now, too, and my wife has a burgeoning career here, so it's not like I can just pick up and leave, either. Plus, my health is still up and WAY down most of the time, and all of my doctors and medical history and everything are here. I haven't used Japanese on the regular in almost nine years, but I still have an almost daily itch to find an outlet for it.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Looking forward to all of the Conan in classic Marvel situations, but murdering everything style covers for the next few years.

American politics is getting weird, but I am here for this kinda shit.

Last edited:

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Has she read Enigma? Is she a fan of Peter Milligan in his prime?

So many questions that I need answers for.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Conan has always been a canonical part of the 616 universe. He (along with ROM and some other licensed guys) just couldn't be mentioned specifically.

Shuma-Gorrath has history in the Hyborian Age, Mary Jane is descended from Red Sonja, all sorts of stuff tying it together. Lots of team-ups, too. I know Conan met Thor and Spider-Man got sent to Hyborian Atlantis, both part of in-continuity books.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Conan has always been a canonical part of the 616 universe. He (along with ROM and some other licensed guys) just couldn't be mentioned specifically.

Shuma-Gorrath has history in the Hyborian Age, Mary Jane is descended from Red Sonja, all sorts of stuff tying it together. Lots of team-ups, too. I know Conan met Thor and Spider-Man got sent to Hyborian Atlantis, both part of in-continuity books.
I remember hearing about some of that stuff, but its been so long since Conan was part of Marvel. Hadnt heard that MJ was a descendant of Red Sonja though lol.

Was Shuma-Gorath a Conan villain?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing about some of that stuff, but its been so long since Conan was part of Marvel. Hadnt heard that MJ was a descendant of Red Sonja though lol.

Was Shuma-Gorath a Conan villain?

Not really - Shuma was just, like, a god that got evoked in Conan stories. Marvel just stole the name and made everything else up, which I assume is why they kept the rights to him after the license went away. But he got tied into Conan stuff despite pretty much just being a Strange villain as a nod to Howard.

And he later got plugged into Lovecraft mythology too so it's kind of a clusterfuck.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
lTVnH10.jpg

Never a moment's rest since 2001.

RiP.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Not really - Shuma was just, like, a god that got evoked in Conan stories. Marvel just stole the name and made everything else up, which I assume is why they kept the rights to him after the license went away. But he got tied into Conan stuff despite pretty much just being a Strange villain as a nod to Howard.

And he later got plugged into Lovecraft mythology too so it's kind of a clusterfuck.
Excuse my ignorance, but wasn't he always lovecraftian?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse my ignorance, but wasn't he always lovecraftian?

He was always bootleg lovecraft, but it wasn't until the Thanos Imperative they explicitly made him a many-angled one and tied him into a larger mythos. (As far as I know. Like I said, it's kind of a cluster fuck.)

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
He was always bootleg lovecraft, but it wasn't until the Thanos Imperative they explicitly made him a many-angled one and tied him into a larger mythos. (As far as I know. Like I said, it's kind of a cluster fuck.)
Yes. Howard and Lovecraft were friends so he got to use Lovecraftian concepts when he wrote the original pulps.

Quasi-official agreement between to buddies talking writing. Not really bootleg.
Ah thanks. I had no idea they were buddies

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.