• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Going through tomorrow's books and I noticed TMNT Shredder in Hell, which looks awesome! The artist that did the Secret History of the Foot Clan mini is writing and drawing, who was by far my favorite artist on TMNT that ive seen so far.

large-5120648.jpg

Those tentacles makes it look like hes in anime hell

I still have no idea what's going on in Blame.
Yea its up for alot of interpretation lol. Theres not alot of plot thats told to the reader, and relies instead on visual story telling, from what I remember. The movie does do a good job though, if your still interested in the world after finishing the books.

I mean the main character's name is Killy lol

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Saw Reign of the Supermen! Superboy was awesome, but not as awesome as the Supermullet lol. Think Death might have been the better of the two, but not by much really. Also Darkseid looks so badass in this movie, love the design they used. The movie did feel like it had its roots in the 90s. Was nice to get a better understanding of characters like the Eradicator and Cyborg Superman, along with 90s Superboy of course.

That stinger has me really excited for whatever they follow it up with. Itll probably be awhile though before it comes out.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Do people not like Shining Knight, or they just dont want to see him in Heroes in Crisis?

The second. The handling of Morrison characters by anyone who's not Morrison is... touchy at best. And the Seven Soldiers are Very Morrison™.

And that's assuming you trust King to handle them, which I assume some do not here.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
With Conan #2 out tomorrow and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man coming out next week I really hope double shipping the first month for an otherwise monthly series becomes a thing. Seems like it would benefit by launching series with a little more momentum to start and it makes it easier for me to quickly determine if I'm going to bother following it or not.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAH holy shit Impulse is getting TPB collections!

Now to decide whether to wait for them to come out or just buy the whole series digitally. It's probably going to flop hard like the Superboy collection did so I might as well buy it on CMX.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is Steve Epting just doing Action Comics 1007 and 1008, or do we not know yet? This Leviathan arc sounds really interesting.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Still working through my One piece re-read (to where I dropped off)

Viz messed up the early digital volumes where the landscape mode is off a page. Messes up splash pages. It gets fixed at vol 20 or so

That is all

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started reading IDW's TMNT series again because of that movie thread and oh god the art is bad in Vol. 2.

I dunno, I think I prefer gritty urban crime TMNT because the contrast between what they're facing and their own inherently silly existence makes it work.

That's probably the best thing about the IP; that it's so adaptable you can drop the team into any situation and they intrinsically work.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
ComicsEra, work has got me in a bum mood tonight. Cheer me up with runs and stories you feel people over look. Maybe not your favorite, but one your mind always comes back to.

For me, I always think back fondly on the ol' Brubaker Batman stuff. I know it's polarizing, but that was when I really started reading a lot of comics. So it's stayed with me. I haven't actually gone back to read a lot of it in a while, tho... over 10 years, at least.

EDIT: Just remembered digital copies of comics go live on CMX soon so this thread is going to shift into new comics talk mode and be gaga for, idk... Venom or some shit. lol

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
ComicsEra, work has got me in a bum mood tonight. Cheer me up with runs and stories you feel people over look. Maybe not your favorite, but one your mind always comes back to.

For me, I always think back fondly on the ol' Brubaker Batman stuff. I know it's polarizing, but that was when I really started reading a lot of comics. So it's stayed with me. I haven't actually gone back to read a lot of it in a while, tho... over 10 years, at least.

EDIT: Just remembered digital copies of comics go live on CMX soon so this thread is going to shift into new comics talk mode and be gaga for, idk... Venom or some shit. lol

It would if we actually read comics. This is a manga thread now

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

I think I like Power Girl: Power Trip more than most people do lol. It's a really fun and heartwarming run even beyond Amanda Conner's amazing art. It's a nice and lighthearted story.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Someone asked for help with the Legion of Super-Heroes a few pages back. Was it Aizō? I'm not sure. Still. Here's a run down for everyone.

There are "four" versions of the Legion. Each group has its own quirks making it stand out from the rest.

1.) The Originals: This was the group that's been around the longest. They date back into the late 50's, but you'll get lost in a ton of early Silver Age stuff if you try to follow them from this point. The only notable run is Jim Shooter's, but even that is arguably skippable and Shooter has a stronger run worth following later on.
The first writer to really glom on to the Legion and make them into something big is Paul Levitz. He hops onto the team with Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #225, and writes the book fairly consistently until 251. After that he goes away for a while, and since this is way too much history to recap we're gonna skip ahead a bit. The Legion of Super-Heroes don't get their own comic book until Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes transforms into "The Legion of Super-Heroes (vol. 2)". It's confusing, but they keep the same numbering so their first ongoing issue is "The Legion of Super-Heroes #259". Volume 1 by the way is a random mini-series collecting older LOSH tales.

Anyway, Paul Levitz comes back for LOSH #281 and stays on the book for ages after this. This is where he eventually does The Great Darkness Saga, which happens around LOSH v2 290. He builds the team up over time until they become popular enough to support two different ongoings, so in 1984 DC launches The Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 3 #1 with Levitz and Keith Giffen handling the writing, while LOSH v2 becomes Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes with 314. Things were going well here, but COIE would eventually knock things off the rails, as John Byrne's new origin for Superman set things up so that Superboy was never a thing, and so he was never a member of the Legion, something which had to be explained. The attempt to do that led to the introduction of a "pocket universe" where "their" Superboy was supposedly from, and he eventually died during some massive crossover.

Legion of Super-Heroes v3 ended at #63, while Tales of the Legion stops at 325. (Tales continues but only republishing reprints after this.) After this, Levitz is out the door and you've got Keith Giffen taking over the characters for what happens next.

Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 4 #1 is set five years after the last story of Levitz/Giffen, The "Magic Wars". Giffen's time on the characters, alongside Tom and Mary Bierbaum, is controversial for a lot of reasons, chief of which being he took the idyllic future of the Legion and made it a much more dark, cynical place. This is also where you get the retcon for Mon-El becoming the inspiration for the Legion, because my understanding is DC wanted no references to Superman or Superboy at all in the Legion. They were weird back then.

The other reason people got frustrated is Giffen introduced a bunch of clones: the Batch SW6, who'd been created by the Dominators. They got their own book, a light-hearted comic known as Legionnaires. This was supposed to be the Legion's own Clone Saga basically, because he was fully intending to confirm the clones as the real ones. Fortunately DC's constant big events made that an impossibility. Zero Hour would force the first proper reboot on the team in 1994, putting an end to 5YL.

2.) Post Zero Hour: Mark Waid, Tom McCraw, and Tom Peyer headed up a reboot of the Legion in 1994. At the time they were called the Archie Legion, thanks to Jeffrey Moy's lighter, more cartoony artstyle. This wouldn't have been out of place as a part of the DCAU. Yet again they didn't really reboot the numbering, so post Zero-Hour starts with Legionnaires Vol. 1 #19 and Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 4 #63. This book stuck around for the better part of the 90's, and spent most of its time reestablishing the Legion and their villains in this new universe. This is where you get characters like XS btw.

This is my personal favorite incarnation of the Legion, not only because its the one I grew up with, but also because it was the most diverse both racially and artistically. This run lasted up until #125 and 81. It's all fun, but most of it isn't collected. The very beginning is, and the last trade which starts Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning is though.

Speaking of, DnA take over the book after this, but first they do Legion Lost and Legion Worlds. LL tells the story of a group of Legionnaires lost on the other side of the universe, while Worlds talks about the Legionnaires who were left in the United Planets.

This all culminates in The Legion, a 36 issue run that caps off the Post Zero Hour era of the team. The stories are slightly darker along the lines of the 5YL stuff, but the story is better than ever. Well worth getting the whole thing.

3.) Threeboot: For whatever reason Dan Didio decided the Post Zero Hour Legion needed to go away and we needed a reboot. So he called up Mark Waid (again) and had him come up with a new vision for the heroes of tomorrow. This is where we get the threeboot team, set in a much more realistic version of the future, where all the heroes of the past have gone into legend, and may "never have existed at all". (This would eventually be explained away by saying the Threeboot version of the team belonged to Earth-Prime.) If anyone's keeping count, this is The Legion of Super-Heroes Vol. 5.

Mark stays on this book for roughly 30 issues or so, with the first half introducing his new Legion--a group of teens striking back against an oppressive regime of adults, and coining the "legendary" phrase, "Eat it, Grandpa" for the team's new rallying cry. The second half of his book brought Supergirl in for a sales boost, but while this might've worked, DC kinda shot themselves in the foot by showing the "original Legion", giving old school fans no reason to even continue with the newer team.

Despite Waid's rather silly characterization of teens, the first 30 issues of this are fairly strong. But what I found much stronger were Jim Shooter's issues, which ran from #37 to 50, the final issue. Jim not only had some inspired ideas for this universe, but this gave us what I believe is Francis Manapul's first big two assignment. It's beautiful stuff even here, and well worth tracking down if you're interested.

4.) Fourth Coming: Shortly after Infinite Crisis, Geoff Johns thought it'd be a good idea to revive the Legion. The "original" Legion everyone loved. So one of the first storylines he did alongside Brad Meltzer was a JLA/JSA crossover called The Lightning Saga. This would eventually lead into Johns' Action Comics Legion story, "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes", and conclude with Legion of Three Worlds, which took all three previous versions (plus the others) and gave them one big, "final" story.

After this, Johns was thought to write the Legion, but with him writing multiple ongoings he was never able to find the time. He did Adventure Comics, a Superboy book with a Legion of Super-Heroes back up, for six issues, before leaving the title to Jeff Lemire. The Legion went back to Paul Levitz, but none of these stories are good. The team would survive the New 52, but those stories are worse, and the book finally came to an end in 2012 or so. Basically, only pay attention to the Johns' trilogy from this era.

Hope that all helps as far as figuring out the chronology of things. If anyone needs more clarification, just let me know.
Wow! Thank you so much for putting all that time and effort into the write up. That was enlightening.

So I was thinking of mostly jumping into post zero hour through DnA. You mentioned most of the former isn't collected, but tell me how this reading lists looks and if I'm missing a bunch in between.

Legionaires: Book One
Legionaires: Book Two

The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 1. (The Damned)
The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 2. (Legion Lost)
Legion Worlds (DnA)
The Legion 1-5
The Legion: Terror Incognita (6-8)
The Legion: Robotica (9-14)
The Legion (15-18)
The Legion: Dream Crime (19-24)
The Legion: Foundations (25-31)
The Legion: Notorious (32-33)

I will start with Great Darkness before all that, just to read it, unless that's a bad idea.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Mignola's Lobster Johnson series is awesome 30s pulp action. Helps that the art by tonci zonjic is beautiful too.

Thats a quick recommendation of the top of my head for now ^^;

SageShinigami thanks for thst losh write up
Helps in knowing which run to pick up and read
For that matter dc need to release their showcase presents books digitally already =_=

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Translucid and Secret Identities are fantastic superhero comics.

Like, legit fucking radical and so superhero that they couldn't be mistaken for another genre if they tried.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm not usually awake late during the week, but I worked very late tonight. When do cmx issues come out? Still like an hour and a half or something?

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

Silencer from the DC NAoH line has been really damn good. Brimstone has also been pretty good. I liked Sideways and I'm really sad he's going away :( DC could always use more Puerto Rican heroes.

Otherwise I'm just finishing up my PAD Hulk run. Almost at the Future Imperfect arc with the Maestro.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not usually awake late during the week, but I worked very late tonight. When do cmx issues come out? Still like an hour and a half or something?
Roughly.

I think I like Power Girl: Power Trip more than most people do lol. It's a really fun and heartwarming run even beyond Amanda Conner's amazing art. It's a nice and lighthearted story.
That's the one with the boob window explanation? I enjoyed that one, too. IDK if I agree with the boob window explanation. But at least they added some pathos to it.
Translucid and Secret Identities are fantastic superhero comics.

Like, legit fucking radical and so superhero that they couldn't be mistaken for another genre if they tried.
Huh! Never read or heard of them. Sounds great, honestly. I'll track em down sometime.
Mignola's Lobster Johnson series is awesome 30s pulp action. Helps that the art by tonci zonjic is beautiful too.

For that matter dc need to release their showcase presents books digitally already =_=
Oh I'm a huge Mignola fan, and have read a share of Lobster Johnson.

Silencer from the DC NAoH line has been really damn good. Brimstone has also been pretty good. I liked Sideways and I'm really sad he's going away :( DC could always use more Puerto Rican heroes.

Otherwise I'm just finishing up my PAD Hulk run. Almost at the Future Imperfect arc with the Maestro.
I need to check out the NAoH stuff. And PAD Hulk.

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

There was an OGN that released in the past couple years called Imagine Wanting Only This. I found the name alone to be so haunting. I couldn't stop thinking about it for months before even reading it.

I related so much to the book, which has a lot to do with abandoned spaces and the writer's fascination with them.

I went to a few abandoned places across Japan, including this abandoned school on the coast in the mountains, when I lived in the second least populated prefecture in the country. I love the feeling and mystery surrounding places that people leave behind. The book doesn't get talked about, but I connected very personally with it.

Another one that doesn't get talked about much (outside Tyrant and I singing its praise) is Spinning by Tillie Walden. What a wonderful, personal, and touching book. I love Walden's work so much.

Maybe it hasn't really been missed, but last year's Sabrina by Nick Drnaso really stuck with me.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Thank you so much for putting all that time and effort into the write up. That was enlightening.

So I was thinking of mostly jumping into post zero hour through DnA. You mentioned most of the former isn't collected, but tell me how this reading lists looks and if I'm missing a bunch in between.

Legionaires: Book One
Legionaires: Book Two

The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 1. (The Damned)
The Legion by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Vol 2. (Legion Lost)
Legion Worlds (DnA)
The Legion 1-5
The Legion: Terror Incognita (6-8)
The Legion: Robotica (9-14)
The Legion (15-18)
The Legion: Dream Crime (19-24)
The Legion: Foundations (25-31)
The Legion: Notorious (32-33)

I will start with Great Darkness before all that, just to read it, unless that's a bad idea.

No, reading Great Darkness Saga is a good idea. It's *the* iconic Legion of Super-Heroes story, even tho I haven't read it myself lol.

Anyway, yeah that list will get you the very beginning of the PZH team, but between Legionnaires Book Two and The Legion Vol. 1 is roughly 40 issues from both ongoings. You'd essentially be skipping to the "end" of the Archie Legion, because the DnA run sunsets all that by introducing some villains known as The Blight--essentially the Borg for the DCU.

It sets the stage for Lost/World, and the list there is all you need. It's not too much darker but the art/story change is noticeable.

Anyway, the last story for PZH Legion is Teen Titans/LOSH: Universe Ablaze if you wanna chase that down. Runs directly into Threeboot.

Glad I could help.

If anyone has any more questions I'll do the best I can to help.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Great Darkness Saga was very good, but it hinged too much on the mystery of the villain, which is not a mystery at all for anybody now. I would imagine that at the time it was pretty mind-blowing.

Levits/Giffen did better stuff than that, IMO.

Did they ever specify Shining Knight's gender one way or the other?
Could have sworn they did. That being said, it seems kinda...weird to have her so hot looking in that art. But Clay Mann, so.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, you're right.

Shining-Knight-Gender-1024x490-1024x585.jpg
I actually don't think I've seen that. Wonder where that's from. I only recall the part in Seven Soldiers of Victory where Gloriana Tenebrae ripped the Shining Knight's clothing off and said "A girl knight."

EDIT: Ohhh, this Wikipedia article explains it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Knight

Apparently there's the Morrison version, who is a girl, and then there's a New 52 version who is transgender. I am not familiar with the New 52 version, but that must be where that panel is from.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Power Girl is great. Starfire and Zatanna capture a similar feel for me, as did Hawkeye with Kate as the lead.
As for other overlooked gems: For those who like Judge Dredd or The Boys then Marshall Law is well worth checking out.
Barry Ween is a fun book that isn't talked about around here.
Parker by Darwyn Cooke is great for crime comics.
Loaers and The Activity for military stuff.
Mage is an all-time classic that is rarely mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.