• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Image doesn't really publish many big titles anymore do they? A lot of their stuff ended and they couldn't replace those books.

I like how Indy books just got straight-up replaced with Shonen Jumps now. At least Beastars made the cut.

Tbh they got replaced as Giant Days went away and I was picking random shit for the sake of it. The Shonen catagory means I won't forget what's coming out. I also cut image to 6 as its a bad month for them straight up.

As for image yeah.. They aren't in a great place outside of a handful of books. Deadly Class, Die, Monstress, Sex Criminals. Dragotta has a new one coming. Middlewest is great but hasn't got that hype. It's not like it was before. They keep publishing Chelsea Cains shit though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Happy New Year!

After two years of off-and-on reading, I finally finished the entire Claremont run on X-Men. 1975-1991. Did it before 2020 lol.

Mostly good with speed bumps in the back half of the 80's. Though largely editorial is to blame I suppose with all sorts of forced BS that messed with his plans. Felt like the late 80's was mostly damage control because Bob Harras or Jim Shooter pissed in the punchbowl leaving the creatives to figure out some solution to whatever garbage idea they forced in. (Seemingly as I'm not actually sure how it all went down).

1980-1984 was killer though. Some of the best stories in the franchise all back to back. Proteus, DoFP, Phoenix, Dark Phoenix, God Loves Man Kills, Wolverine mini, and more...

Sticking with it more post Claremont as I want to jump into Lee/Nicieza Era and finally read X-Men(adjectiveless) and check out stories like Bishops Crosding, X-Cutioners Song, Fatal Attractions, Apocalypse, Etc...

I figure by 2030 I may get to Hickman.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Image gotta stop announcing shit that doesn't come out. Where's that JH Williams book?

Remember Motor Crush was meant to be back last summer with an ogn vol 3 due to low floppy sales and now it looks like they are all just walking away from it hoping no one notices. I guess babs really does hate drawing interiors.

Shocked to see Kelly Sue and Emma Rios actually come back to Pretty Deadly and have it release monthly for the arc. I wonder if Kelly Sue is gonna go back to Bitch Planet. Doesn't look like it.

What happened to these books?? I was hyped for all of them then nothing. The Annie Wu one stings still.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjEvMTQ3L29yaWdpbmFsL2RlYWRndXlmYW5fc2xpZGUuanBnPzE1MTkyNTMzODg=

MTUxOTI1MzQ3MQ==

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjEvMjI2L29yaWdpbmFsL3doYXRzZnVydGhlc3Rfc2xpZGUuanBnPzE1MTkyNTM1OTc=

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
As for image yeah.. They aren't in a great place outside of a handful of books. Deadly Class, Die, Monstress, Sex Criminals. Dragotta has a new one coming. Middlewest is great but hasn't got that hype. It's not like it was before. They keep publishing Chelsea Cains shit though.

A lot of their big books ended in the last year. Walking Dead, East of West, Black Science, Wicked + Divine, Paper Girls. You can't just manufacture popular books like those. For a time, Image had a perfect storm of talent that had just left Marvel and DC with fresh ideas they wanted to put to paper.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of their big books ended in the last year. Walking Dead, East of West, Black Science, Wicked + Divine, Paper Girls. You can't just manufacture popular books like those. For a time, Image had a perfect storm of talent that had just left Marvel and DC with fresh ideas they wanted to put to paper.

Yeah that's fair. It's unreasonable to think they would be able to keep up that quality for good. They got very unlucky that all those books ended in a big chunk.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Terry got rejected trying to give art to a charity art book ... Wtf. It's great too.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think ya'll are being harsh on Image. Yeah, a lot of great books ended in 2019. The Walking Dead, Paper Girls, East of West, The Wicked + The Divine, etc, but there're a lot of great books still ongoing. And maybe all they need is a bit more attention. Ascender, Criminal, Crowded, Deadly Class, Die, Gideon Falls, Ice Cream Man, Isola, Monstress, November, Sea of Stars. Some good shit! Definitely recommend folk check out some trades as they're able. Some very good comics still at Image (and more on the way, as soon as they bring back Low, Black Monday Murders, and Saga).

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_oie4bigUTl1sc9geyo1_500.png

Superwoman is wild

Anyways, I wanna lay down some shit about the Birds of Prey talk happening in the previous month's thread since I can't quote anyone cuz of locks:

I would love someone new all up in there, and Gail on a DC ongoing, but something new is what I want as well, but she really wants BoP. Personally I say give her Nightwing and someone else BoP. @tim1138's choice of Jodie would be solid, though I honestly think Humphries would be a great choice too and I stand by that. Still new blood should get a shot. Schmidt would be a great artist regardless and obviously wants it.

Now then, as for Bab's costume: she has always been an improviser because her very core with in her origin has never been one of having the funding and resources that other Bat family members have had. She's had to scrape and improvise and cobble, though she gets help and handouts every now and again. UNTIL NOW. She has an energy company, or pre-Flashpoint a tech company, and plenty of resources at her disposal, unless the current book wrecked her status quo again. She should not be running around in her Burnside and Year One costumes. Improvs and prototypes aren't necessary anymore.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I think ya'll are being harsh on Image. Yeah, a lot of great books ended in 2019. The Walking Dead, Paper Girls, East of West, The Wicked + The Divine, etc, but there's a lot of great books still ongoing. And maybe all they need is a bit more attention. Ascender, Criminal, Crowded, Deadly Class, Die, Gideon Falls, Ice Cream Man, Isola, Monstress, November, Sea of Stars. Some good shit! Definitely recommend folk check out some trades as they're able. Some very good comics still at image (and more on the way, as soon as they bring back Low, Black Monday Murders, and Saga).

Yeah... But none of these are Annie Wu...

I agree with you FYI. I just tire if image books being announced and never arriving or books silently going on hiatus and never returning.

Bitch Planet was red hot delays and all and they just buried it.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think ya'll are being harsh on Image. Yeah, a lot of great books ended in 2019. The Walking Dead, Paper Girls, East of West, The Wicked + The Divine, etc, but there's a lot of great books still ongoing. And maybe all they need is a bit more attention. Ascender, Criminal, Crowded, Deadly Class, Die, Gideon Falls, Ice Cream Man, Isola, Monstress, November, Sea of Stars. Some good shit! Definitely recommend folk check out some trades as they're able. Some very good comics still at image (and more on the way, as soon as they bring back Low, Black Monday Murders, and Saga).
I'm not saying there aren't any Image books I still love. Most of my favorite comics are still from Image. But their monthly releases aren't the deluge of must-have books that they used to be.
What if we are the monsters?
clean.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... But none of these are Annie Wu...

I agree with you FYI. I just tire if image books being announced and never arriving or books silently going on hiatus and never returning.

Bitch Planet was red hot delays and all and they just buried it.
Did anything ever happen with Motor Crush? Wasn't that moving to OGN?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Did anything ever happen with Motor Crush? Wasn't that moving to OGN?

Yes last summer. It's been gone 1-1.5 years now. It's dead. I also predicted they'd never release that ogn vol 3 because she clearly hated working on interior art. She recently posted on Instagram saying she hates drawing normal stuff like pipes, buildings ect. Makes sense as the layout person did all that for her. I guess they all cut their losses and moved on. That book was dead the second they moved and realised that it wasn't team Motor Crush... Team Batgirl really was just Barbra Gordon fans 😂

Babs makes way more doing twitter and patreon anyway. One of her goals for 2020 was to quit comics and launch a merch line 😂😂😂

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Also, since I won't be writing for one outlet any more, I'm going to begin the painful process of freelance pitching articles. ;_; I love writing about comic books and want to continue interviewing creators so I'm going to make a list of editors to email.
Image gotta stop announcing shit that doesn't come out. Where's that JH Williams book?

Remember Motor Crush was meant to be back last summer with an ogn vol 3 due to low floppy sales and now it looks like they are all just walking away from it hoping no one notices. I guess babs really does hate drawing interiors.

Shocked to see Kelly Sue and Emma Rios actually come back to Pretty Deadly and have it release monthly for the arc. I wonder if Kelly Sue is gonna go back to Bitch Planet. Doesn't look like it.

What happened to these books?? I was hyped for all of them then nothing. The Annie Wu one stings still.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjEvMTQ3L29yaWdpbmFsL2RlYWRndXlmYW5fc2xpZGUuanBnPzE1MTkyNTMzODg=

MTUxOTI1MzQ3MQ==

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjEvMjI2L29yaWdpbmFsL3doYXRzZnVydGhlc3Rfc2xpZGUuanBnPzE1MTkyNTM1OTc=
Man I was really looking forward to Dead Guy Fan Club since it sounded super interesting. But it looks like Annie Wu has been super quiet on it lately. Maybe we'll get a definitive release date at Image Expo. I still enjoy reading Image books even if some of the stuff is ho-hum and I wonder how it got greenlit. Farmhand is getting optioned for a TV show on AMC, lord knows when Amazon is materializing East of West. Scales and Scoundrels, The Fix, Ody-C, and Infidel deserved better. Also Isola since it's damn good. We live in a post-TWD world. The only thing close to that is Saga.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Also, since I won't be writing for one outlet any more, I'm going to begin the painful process of freelance pitching articles. ;_; I love writing about comic books and want to continue interviewing creators so I'm going to make a list of editors to email.

Man I was really looking forward to Dead Guy Fan Club since it sounded super interesting. But it looks like Annie Wu has been super quiet on it lately. Maybe we'll get a definitive release date at Image Expo. I still enjoy reading Image books even if some of the stuff is ho-hum and I wonder how it got greenlit. Farmhand is getting optioned for a TV show on AMC, lord knows when Amazon is materializing East of West. Scales and Scoundrels, The Fix, Ody-C, and Infidel deserved better. Also Isola since it's damn good. We live in a post-TWD world. The only thing close to that is Saga.

At least we know saga has another half to go and no breaks like this one when they return.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Happy new year!!!

Y'all might not know it, but you helped me through some shit in 2019. Thanks for giving me this space to have fun with all of you wonderful people. You've given me attention at times when I couldn't reach people around me physically, and you've given me countless smiles and laughs. <3

I hope this year and all the years from now on treat you spectacularly.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Yes last summer. It's been gone 1-1.5 years now. It's dead. I also predicted they'd never release that ogn vol 3 because she clearly hated working on interior art. She recently posted on Instagram saying she hates drawing normal stuff like pipes, buildings ect. Makes sense as the layout person did all that for her. I guess they all cut their losses and moved on. That book was dead the second they moved and realised that it wasn't team Motor Crush... Team Batgirl really was just Barbra Gordon fans 😂

Babs makes way more doing twitter and patreon anyway. One of her goals for 2020 was to quit comics and launch a merch line 😂😂😂
I don't blame her even though Motor Crush was pretty good all things considered. Fletcher has been focused on Isola which has similar themes to Motor Crush (a protagonist who's implied to be lesbian, warrior and strong, etc.). I'm not the biggest fan of her stuff but hey, if commissions are more lucrative, then it's a better venture than creator owned comics. Preach to the choir.

Creator owned comics are passion projects (I know the cynical angle is they're movie/TV show pitches but still). They're also are risky endeavors unless you're BKV, Jonathan Hickman, or Robert Kirkman. Far too many creator owned comic slipped beneath the cracks in the last couple of years, failing to capture an audience and went on an indefinite hiatus or ended after a small amount of issues. Sleepless comes to mind even though it ended on its on own terms.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame her even though Motor Crush was pretty good all things considered. Fletcher has been focused on Isola which has similar themes to Motor Crush (a protagonist who's implied to be lesbian, warrior and strong, etc.). I'm not the biggest fan of her stuff but hey, if commissions are more lucrative, then it's a better venture than creator owned comics. Preach to the choir.

Creator owned comics are passion projects (I know the cynical angle is they're movie/TV show pitches but still). They're also are risky endeavors unless you're BKV, Jonathan Hickman, or Robert Kirkman. Far too many creator owned comic slipped beneath the cracks in the last couple of years, failing to capture an audience and went on an indefinite hiatus or ended after a small amount of issues. Sleepless comes to mind even though it ended on its on own terms.

They did say it was written though. But I do agree. It's not all her fault. Absolutely not but the way it went in hiatus... Cancelling an issue a month out... It obviously wasn't financially viable.

Stewart told the website that the break was simply "just taking some time to recharge and refocus," adding, "All is well in Nova Honda [the fictional setting for the series], vol. 3 is written and Motor Crush will return faster and more ferocious than ever!"

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Last comic reading for the year and decade, and it is the Captain Phasma comic, which ended up being pretty damn good. I love the first issue where she is "investigating" on who lowered the shields, so she can save her own ass.

3b832904313391010c815b0f38f1dd35._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Phasma might have felt like she was made to be a cool character to sell merch, but she did get some great comics at least. Really enjoyed seeing how much of a piece of shit she was in this comic series and the Age of Resistance one shot.

I recently jumped onto CMX unlimited so I can read more Star Wars comics lol (and get the $5, along with discounts and all).

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
They did say it was written though. But I do agree. It's not all her fault. Absolutely not but the way it went in hiatus... Cancelling an issue a month out... It obviously wasn't financially viable.

Stewart told the website that the break was simply "just taking some time to recharge and refocus," adding, "All is well in Nova Honda [the fictional setting for the series], vol. 3 is written and Motor Crush will return faster and more ferocious than ever!"
If anything, I feel sorry for fans who keep holding out that Vol. 3 will materialize. I suppose never say never rings true from the looks of it since there's a bunch of cons where it can be announced and dropped.
It's fantastic and a great page turner imo.
I vaguely remember reading the first issue and a panel in which a guy has an orgasm which made me laugh. I'm pretty sure sex is very common throughout the series in all its odd forms.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I feel sorry for fans who keep holding out that Vol. 3 will materialize. I suppose never say never rings true from the looks of it since there's a bunch of cons where it can be announced and dropped.
I vaguely remember reading the first issue and a panel in which a guy has an orgasm which made me laugh. I'm pretty sure sex is very common throughout the series in all its odd forms.

First issue opens with the main character giving birth and thinking she shit herself 😂. Very touching though.

Maybe Prince robot is having sex in that issue, I don't remember lol.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's officially the New Year in Arizona! Which means I can go to bed! Woohoo! Happy New Year everyone! smooches

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, Earth 2 Thomas Wayne is basically Flashpoint Thomas Wayne, but not. Instead of being an alcoholic, it's miraclo. Instead of being "Bruce gets killed and Thomas becomes Batman," it's "Thomas and Martha still get shot when Bruce is a kid and Bruce becomes Batman, but Thomas manages to live somehow and lives in secret, killing criminals and then Bruce dies during the Apokolips invasion and Thomas takes the mantle." Earth 2 Thomas is more redemptive, Flashpoint is more obsessive.

The visual aesthetic (red, gray, and black), substance addiction, and ruthlessness is there. The rest is different. Earth 2 doesn't use guns, I don't think.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Knull is dead. He can't hurt us now.

Batman who lmaos on the other hand...

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Happy New Year. Happy new thread.

thanks TeenFanSub and Messi.

also how did you people rave about JL so much and it is low in votes. And Daredevil too.
Look JL is very great, there were just 10+ books that were better than it. 2019 was full of quality books and i only read like half of them

I didn't realise there was a CMX sale on for image... Bought the books to catch up on...

Wicked + the Divine
Paper Girls
Monstress
Sex Criminals
Lazarus
Deadly Class
East of West
Middlewest
Isola
Criminal
Rumble
Die

Wanted to buy.. Post Wiebe Rat Queens the art looks great... Anyone reading this still? I love those characters even if I can't ever forget the other stuff. Should I buy?

Just a few issues into catching up on these books and it hits me how much I love reading good image books. I dropped image almost completely for a good while as I burnt out from reading so much marvel and DC. I just never wanted to read anything else. I cut loads of books from the other two and I'm trying again with image. I forgot how good some of those classic image books are.

East of West is magic. McKelvie and Wilson need to be praised for Wicked Div even if I don't understand what's going on at all in these final 20 issues. Every Laura and or Sakhmet panel is magic.

Also did I miss any of the good shit.
You missed Crowded

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

MTUxOTI1MzQ3MQ==

I asked Tyler Boss about What's the Furthest Place from Here a few months ago and he said it's still coming. He drew about half the issues and some personal stuff happened behind the scenes and they had to stop working on the book for awhile.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Morrison Batman omnis have the Black Casebook stuff included?

Status
Not open for further replies.