• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Basing events on old pre 2000s comics? No thank you. Saves me money as I hate events and old comics.

Me getting the hammer out for my pull list again.

tumblr_pm9a92VCbZ1qgojgxo5_500.gifv
Are you still spending $50+ every week on books?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Taskmaster outfit is awfully bland but I love seeing him on screen finally, especially seeing his photographic reflexes in action.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Like most things wrong with X-Men it all starts with Grant Morrison.

Obviously there are elements of Powers as a Burden in the X-Men (Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Rogue) but the idea that the X-gene produces millions of people with delibitating, painful and humiliating mutations that do nothing but make them miserable is completely antithetical to what being a Mutant means. It legitimatizes the nadir of X-Men stories, the Mutant Cure, and there never should be a point where a Mutant should not want to be themselves.
Right, but Eyeboy doesn't hate himself. He's pretty powerful.
Is Triage still missing?
Elixir is, too apparently. Because according to X-Force Healer was the only healer on the island which is why Domino is part Krakoan.
like, Jrjr's art is already bad enough but then you add this dull DOOM story to it and it's just..... let's get back to the mafia.... please.....
at least Leviathan is here now
JRJr's art has never been always bad. I point to Eternals, but this is woof. Action Comics is in a weird spot right now: Lex Luthor with the Doom stuff, then you have Event Leviathan setting up AC as the closing point for that storyline, it's involved in whatever big STAR Labs stuff and now it's gonna be adjacent to the identity reveal in addition to its own Invisible Mafia storylines.
Helena Wayne taking over as Catwoman I guess. It would also tie into a certain line from Doomsday Clock from when they were teasing future events.
Did they bring Helena over from Earth 2?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
70s comics are some of my favorites. It's that period where mainstream creators sort of figured out, hey, we can do something novel and interesting with this medium. They haven't polished it yet - that's kind of what the 80s are, I think - but it's full of trailblazing ideas and that's a lot of fun to discover.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
70s-80s is probably my favorite era for Marvel, DC 80s-90s

avengers peaked in the roger stern era from what I have read

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
There are comics I love from every era, so it can't be overstated that the things I'm saying are only generalizations based on trends that make decades distinct from each other overall.

But the 80s was when I started running into a lot of people taking superheroes way too seriously and putting out some really dour material. Taken in aggregate, that stuff can really be a bummer.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I've read and enjoyed a lot of old comics. And I really love the art in all eras, so my negative generalizations are based mostly on writing.

But I love the 2010s so much. There's never been so much diversity in mainstream comics. And I mean diversity in every sense of the word. Tones, genres, art styles...with more women and queer folks and people of color playing a more consistently large role than ever before.

And there's so much further to go on the representation front, but there's no comparison between this most recent decade and these other decades, when it was largely The Straight White Man Show.

A dark 80s style superhero deconstruction today is more welcome when it's sharing shelf space with high-profile comedy books, and mainstream indie books completely outside the Marvel/DC system. I don't feel like I'm drowning in any one thing, because comics are all over the fucking place now, in a really great way.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only decade of comics I don't really enjoy is like... the 90s, maybe. Lots of iffy art, in both style an execution. Lots of edginess sprinkled through things. Very much a boys club, juvenile atmosphere. Not to say there's not stuff like Vertigo and various indy comics making an impact, but they feel like a minority.

But I can find stuff to enjoy anywhere. Go back to the 30s and I'll still have a good time. When you take content as it is, rather than as you might like it to be, I find you'll usually get something to appreciate out of it.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
The only decade of comics I don't really enjoy is like... the 90s, maybe. Lots of iffy art, in both style an execution. Lots of edginess sprinkled through things. Very much a boys club, juvenile atmosphere. Not to say there's not stuff like Vertigo and various indy comics making an impact, but they feel like a minority.

But I can find stuff to enjoy anywhere. Go back to the 30s and I'll still have a good time. When you take content as it is, rather than as you might like it to be, I find you'll usually get something to appreciate out of it.
But also, like...there were decades where the entire output of a publisher could largely be by and for the same general demographic. If you happen to be in that demographic, or adjacent to it, that's less of an issue.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't read too much of the era, but I found Starlin's Thanos Origins Omnibus(70's early Thanos stories) a real pleasant and easy read last year. Doesn't commit to dating itself in terms of writing or dialect or art(which mostly all holds up real well). Just well constructed comics with engaging stories and characters. I wasn't always convinced I was even reading comics that were 40-50 years old.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Like, women were really treated like shit in superhero comics for a very long time. Minimized and marginalized at best, and actively treated like shit a lot of the time. And yeah, I can overlook that in small doses. "It was a different time" or whatever. But if I'm like sitting down to binge a long run from the 70s or something, that kind of thing can be exhausting. Because at a certain point, I want better for myself. I want better than tolerating things like that. I want to feel seen and understood by the things I'm reading.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Like, women were really treated like shit in superhero comics for a very long time. Minimized and marginalized at best, and actively treated like shit a lot of the time. And yeah, I can overlook that in small doses. "It was a different time" or whatever. But if I'm like sitting down to binge a long run from the 70s or something, that kind of thing can be exhausting. Because at a certain point, I want better for myself. I want better than tolerating things like that. I want to feel seen and understood by the things I'm reading.

One exception was Gamora being introduced in the 70's. Starlin gave this green alien female such an important and vital role in his early stories that I was dumbfounded she didn't have more presence in comics at the time. I loved her introduction and implementation that I was doing rampant searches to see if she was involved in any other comic at the time outside of cameos but alas...

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
And I really do read and like a lot of old comics. I've read very close to every book Marvel published in the 60s. DC's books in the 60s are wild. I've read Spider-Man and Fantastic Four from the beginning all the way to the late 80s. Simonson Thor is very much my shit.

I'm old myself, so old comics were the only comics that existed when I got into the medium.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But also, like...there were decades where the entire output of a publisher could largely be by and for the same general demographic. If you happen to be in that demographic, or adjacent to it, that's less of an issue.

Sure, I don't disagree. You have to put yourself in a state of mind that's kind of unnatural - I read, like, a Silver Age Supergirl comic in a different frame of mind than I do an issue of Saga. And I'm appreciating O'Neil and Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow in a completely different way.

When I'm reading anything before like, 1960, I'm reading it the same way I'm looking at some artifacts in a museum. Half of the people involved were dead before I was even born. But the joy-to-energy-invested ratio is way different, and you have to be in the mood to sift through that.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And I really do read and like a lot of old comics. I've read very close to every book Marvel published in the 60s. DC's books in the 60s are wild. I've read Spider-Man and Fantastic Four from the beginning all the way to the late 80s. Simonson Thor is very much my shit.

I'm old myself, so old comics were the only comics that existed when I got into the medium.

I'm old too! Twinsies!

I've read a lot of Sixties stuff but only for long running series that I follow. I don't jump into the unknown silver age.. I've read Spider-man, Uncanny X-Men and Thor, every issue from start to december 2019. I've read most of daredevil but I'm missing about two years worth. I gotta say, I agree with your take on the 70s. It got a little verbose. But the 60s were DENSE. Tiny little panels all the time. Very little variation on art. But one thing I love about the sixites is the characters age real time there for the first bit. One thing I do love about the 70s and 80s is marvels darker lines. Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, etc. What a great vibe and stellar art. And the wordiness creates a mood. Even Spider-woman was fucking bizarre.

I can probably find something to love and dislike about every decade. But 2010s was an evolution.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I really like the "throwing a bunch of shit at the wall" aspect of 60s Marvel. Just unbelievable how fast they were farting out cool designs and concepts.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ahsoka's def the low-key most well-read person in the community, isn't she? I talk a big game but I'm a total comic babby compared to a lot of folk here.

Deleted member 60729

Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Ahsoka's def the low-key most well-read person in the community, isn't she? I talk a big game but I'm a total comic babby compared to a lot of folk here.
In certain areas, I've read a ton. But I'm severely outclassed by a lot of people here when it comes to DC of just about any time period.

Y'all read way more new comics than I do. Some of those I'll catch up to some day, others I never will.

It's funny that I actually read fewer comics now that comics have diversified more and have more things that speak to me. But I think it's just that I can find things that are for me with so much less digging now. I'm getting what I want with less work.

Status
Not open for further replies.