• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man that Taskmaster mini is by the genius who wrote him in Daughters of the Dragon.

He was HILARIOUS in that book.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a Coates/Bartel Storm thing that never happened? Or did it happen and I missed it? Or was I high when I thought there was ever a thing in the first place?

Announced by Coates years in advance and fell apart over time.

Yo this is dope

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
y'all remember that thing about posting links to news instead of just typing one sentence?

Anyways Checkmate mini by Bendis and Maleev

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
THfl9Im.png

yeah! hype! omnibus day! wait oh god something's gone wrong

tbh it's not that bad until you get to omnibus 2

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite comic periods are the second half of the 90s and early 00s. BUT, they are also some of the worst times lol.

Basically everything after Onslaught for Marvel. This period at Marvel has some of their best books imo. Especially with the switch to digital coloring, the art gets a huge improvement.

The longer I read comics the less I have a favorite period. My least favorite is definitely the mid 2000's--that period from 2004 or so to 2007 was really meh. Civil War and Identity Crisis and One Year Later and it's just a ton of misses. My second least favorite, actually, is probably right now.

Make no mistake, there's a ton of GREAT comics that come out. But the diversity makes it so that every comic isn't for me. Now that's a GOOD thing, because it means there are more comics for other people. But for me personally there are just in general, fewer comics to read. There was a time when my list of favorite writers were everywhere: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Gail Simone, Kurt Busiek, Peter David, more. The 90's and 2000's saw those people all over the place.

But these days most of those writers have a diminished presence in comics as they work on other things. There's a handful of people there who could take their place: Al Ewing, James Tynion, Kieron Gillen...and that's about it. It's a lot more empty. Occasionally I'll find something really solid like Gwenpool or New Super-Man, but they'll do that one book then they're off writing mini-series or something.

In the end, this is probably fine. I've wanted time to read more old comics. I made my way through a number of seminal 90's comics, but there's stuff from the 70's and 80's I still need to finish. Wrap up the rest of the Legion. Finish all of Iron Man volume 1. Finish Claremont's X-Men, Byrne's Fantastic Four, and PAD's Incredible Hulk. I love Wonder Woman so I wanna finish the second volume--at least get through the beginning. I should probably figure out what in DC was worth reading in the 70's and 80's, lol.

I certainly don't think comics aren't for me now just because there's more women, queer people, and people of color--especially since I'm two of those things (or like, one and a half?)--I just think right now comics are going through a phase that doesn't align with my interests. That doesn't last long. For all I know 5G is smarter than I think and it winds up being awesome, or Marvel will suddenly bring up a ton of amazing series and then I'm only reading modern comics again.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
tbh it's not that bad until you get to omnibus 2
3ZiW0KE.jpg

way ahead of you. i've had vol. 2 for like 5 months now.

i think i've actually finished my in-print amazing spider-man omnibus collection now, with both ben reilly and clone saga vol 1 on the way. now i just have to actually read them all...

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Freezasaurus I finished Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction vol 7. oh....noooooooooooooo....oh...no.

Take the gun from Ontan ffs. If they hurt Ontan ill flip.

Also she's a time traveller?????

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
This shit is gonna be stupid but fun

EOPuncmUwAIbRH1
I love young Cable and Noto, so I'm there. He deserves better than Fallen Angels. I don't understand why he has Magik's sword but I like it.
That Marvel stream announced a new Nightcrawler book by Hickman

xmengsnightcrawler2020001_cov.jpg
Awesome, I was wondering why we haven't been seeing much Nightcrawler. I'm glad Alan Davis is back for this.
Or Hickman should be writing Spider-Man...
This. He already wrote an awesome Spider-Man in FF.
JJ should do the Dawn of X movie
JJ Abrams for eventual Fantastic Four MCU movie.
God no. JJ already did the worst SW movie. It would break me to see him touch any X-Men or FF characters.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
3ZiW0KE.jpg

way ahead of you. i've had vol. 2 for like 5 months now.

i think i've actually finished my in-print amazing spider-man omnibus collection now, with both ben reilly and clone saga vol 1 on the way. now i just have to actually read them all...

I don't know if you were in this thread when I read through the whole thing and posted my impressions but honestly removed the from the historical context (of taking over THREE WHOLE YEARS) the Clone Saga + Ben Reilly Saga is mostly... fine. There's some real trash in there, particularly towards the end of the Clone Saga part and the end of the Ben Reilly saga and the Norman Osborn retcon is a complete disaster but I don't know, it didn't live up to it's infamous rep to me. Of course I'm not reading it as it's slooooooowly moving in the 90s. Which is the actual main problem, it's stupid long.

Real talk: Reading that John Byrne omnibus you must own because you hate good things will produce more pain than any of the individual Clone Saga/Ben Reilly ominubuses will. THAT is the true nadir of 90s Spider-Man.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you were in this thread when I read through the whole thing and posted my impressions but honestly removed the from the historical context (of taking over THREE WHOLE YEARS) the Clone Saga + Ben Reilly Saga is mostly... fine. There's some real trash in there, particularly towards the end of the Clone Saga part and the end of the Ben Reilly saga and the Norman Osborn retcon is a complete disaster but I don't know, it didn't live up to it's infamous rep to me. Of course I'm not reading it as it's slooooooowly moving in the 90s. Which is the actual main problem, it's stupid long.

Real talk: Reading that John Byrne omnibus you must own because you hate good things will produce more pain than any of the individual Clone Saga/Ben Reilly ominubuses will. THAT is the true nadir of 90s Spider-Man.
hahah the buildup for the byrne omnibus is driving me crazy. it'll def be a while before i get to it tho.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the Hulk Omni. Really excited for that book. I have a lot of Marvel omnis to buy this year. DD Bendis Vol 1 and 2, Astonishing X-Men, and Uncanny X-Force, plus these Hulk omnis.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
God no. JJ already did the worst SW movie. It would break me to see him touch any X-Men or FF characters.

Valeria who?

Valeria... von Doom.

Ordered the Hulk Omni. Really excited for that book. I have a lot of Marvel omnis to buy this year. DD Bendis Vol 1 and 2, Astonishing X-Men, and Uncanny X-Force, plus these Hulk omnis.

You getting the Silver Surfer reprint? That's the next one I am excited for.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
kinda surprised how many folk are buying up hulk? are y 'all just hulk fans or is david's run just one of y'alls favorites?

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
Punisher: Soviet is fantastic so far.
My favorite comic periods are the second half of the 90s and early 00s. BUT, they are also some of the worst times lol.

Basically everything after Onslaught for Marvel. This period at Marvel has some of their best books imo. Especially with the switch to digital coloring, the art gets a huge improvement.

I agree with you about the greatness of those years. I whish more Marvel series would go back to that mix of classic capes and modernity.

I am not so sure about the coloring. Just like old games were meant to be played with scanlines, (most) old comics were meant to be printed on cheap, low quality paper that darkened the colors. I feel that this has changed our perception of early 90s art (or before) because we read them on the wrong "type" of paper. Sort of like a GBA game lol

kinda surprised how many folk are buying up hulk? are y 'all just hulk fans or is david's run just one of y'alls favorites?

David's run is one of the best superhero comics ever made. It should be mandatory to buy a collected edition.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Valeria who?

Valeria... von Doom.

You getting the Silver Surfer reprint? That's the next one I am excited for.

I doubt it, but we'll see. I need to try a couple of issues to see if I'm into it.

Any Peter David stuff I've read has been great, and I've heard tons of good stuff about this Hulk run.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
In the mood for Hulk while waiting for new Immortal Hulk trades and everyone seems to say David's is one the best Hulk runs.
It is. You will not be disappointed. Just keep in mind that it changes wildly between tones, to the point that it would feel like five different runs if it were not by some of David's meta humor, quirks and themes being present throughout it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It is such a good book. Are you getting the Wolverine reprint or do you already have it? That is a stellar book too.

I think I'm most excited for the new Miles omnibus.
I doubt I will get the Wolverine book, but never say never. As you probably know I'm more of a DC guy, so I have to budget for some of their books if they actually come out.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm tempted to get the David Hulk omnibus but that's a big commitment for a run I haven't read any of. 130+ issues? That's at least 2 more omnibuses. My only real experience with it is Future Imperfect, which I have read and enjoyed, but didn't blow me away.

For Marvel my plans are pretty much just Uncanny X-Force, the Silver Surfer reprint, and Ultimates because I'm trash. Also the last Timely's Greatest volume because I already bought the other three and I may as well burn all my money consistently.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What Spidey collections do you all have? And have you actually read any of the Spidey Omnis yet?
just what's been in print over the last 7-8 months. i've got The Amazing Spider-Man Ominbus Vol. 1 and 4, The Amazin Spider-Man by David Michelinie + Todd McFarlane, Spider-Man by David Michelinie + Erik Larsen, Spider-Man: The Clone Saga 1+2, te Ben Reilly Omnibus, Spider-Man by John Byrne, and The Amazing Spider-Man by JMS Vol. 1. The only two that I've read so far are the Stan Lee Vol. 4 and JMS Vol. 1.

Other than the Stan Lee Vol. 1, I'm planning on reading the others in a run as much as I'm able.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So I just read House of X/Powers of X and I loved it. But there's a lot of X-men comics right now. Which ones are worth reading or do I have to read all of them to follow the story?

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The longer I read comics the less I have a favorite period. My least favorite is definitely the mid 2000's--that period from 2004 or so to 2007 was really meh. Civil War and Identity Crisis and One Year Later and it's just a ton of misses. My second least favorite, actually, is probably right now.

Make no mistake, there's a ton of GREAT comics that come out. But the diversity makes it so that every comic isn't for me. Now that's a GOOD thing, because it means there are more comics for other people. But for me personally there are just in general, fewer comics to read. There was a time when my list of favorite writers were everywhere: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Gail Simone, Kurt Busiek, Peter David, more. The 90's and 2000's saw those people all over the place.

But these days most of those writers have a diminished presence in comics as they work on other things. There's a handful of people there who could take their place: Al Ewing, James Tynion, Kieron Gillen...and that's about it. It's a lot more empty. Occasionally I'll find something really solid like Gwenpool or New Super-Man, but they'll do that one book then they're off writing mini-series or something.

In the end, this is probably fine. I've wanted time to read more old comics. I made my way through a number of seminal 90's comics, but there's stuff from the 70's and 80's I still need to finish. Wrap up the rest of the Legion. Finish all of Iron Man volume 1. Finish Claremont's X-Men, Byrne's Fantastic Four, and PAD's Incredible Hulk. I love Wonder Woman so I wanna finish the second volume--at least get through the beginning. I should probably figure out what in DC was worth reading in the 70's and 80's, lol.

I certainly don't think comics aren't for me now just because there's more women, queer people, and people of color--especially since I'm two of those things (or like, one and a half?)--I just think right now comics are going through a phase that doesn't align with my interests. That doesn't last long. For all I know 5G is smarter than I think and it winds up being awesome, or Marvel will suddenly bring up a ton of amazing series and then I'm only reading modern comics again.

This is really well said. I don't know that I have a singular favorite era of comics either, but I do have favorite runs from all across the spectrum. Like I have pretty much zero interest in Barry Allen Flash comics outside of the sheer ridiculousness of the Silver Age (the way Barry discovers Earth 2 in the Flash of Two Worlds issue is hilarious). The only era I really don't get into is the Golden Age, otherwise I can read and enjoy comics from any era.

Status
Not open for further replies.