• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Akirasan: HEY KIDS, YOU WANT A NEW BOOK ABOUT YOUR FAV CHARACTER? NAH. HOW ABOUT X-TREME X-MEN?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What X-Men development are you most looking forward to in 2020?

White: Continuing to flesh out this new X-World. We've announced a couple of new books, and we have a few more to announce yet. We've got a big X-Men crossover we're working on that I am pretty excited for. We've actually got some plans for next December that are really fun, if they come together the way we want them to.

Bissa: There are definitely some unannounced books that I'm dying to get out into the world, as well as storylines coming up in...all of the books I'm working on that are 100% wild. It's going to be a good year to be an X-Fan.

Robinson: You are about to meet your new favorite class of X-kids.

I hope Gabby is in the book Robinson is teasing.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully if Kelly Thompson wrote an X-book, it would have Jubilee, Rogue, Gambit, and Trinary, because those are 4 characters stuck in a boring book. Actually, nevermind. Trinary isn't even being used anymore. She was Apoc's attendant in the first issue and then NEVER AGAIN.
Akirasan: HEY KIDS, YOU WANT A NEW BOOK ABOUT YOUR FAV CHARACTER? NAH. HOW ABOUT X-TREME X-MEN?
You joke but I want this

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Did anyone get that $5 off Marvel code from the CMX Unlimited Star Wars promo? Thought it was today, but I don't see the email, despite having read three star wars books from the list.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the books being reprinted for Empyre some stuff now makes sense like the Mantis and Swordsman books, but there are some like She-Hulk #1 that have me curious.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God, Snyder's Justice League is SO GOOD. I'm loving every second of it. Hoping to see an deluxe volume 2 soon.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017

🤔 (this is the resurrection issue)

Place your bets now, what is the shocking twist about resurrection? What makes Apocalypse so mad he smashes a stained glass painting of Nightcrawler?

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Excalibur is not good.

Also Fallen Angels.

That is my contribution to the X-books not worth people's time discussion.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Just finished the last few issues of WCA a few days ago (I didn't want to have it end so I kept them unread for a long time). I hope they give her something that lets her use a similar tone. WCA really did the best job of reminding me of the JLI comics I loved as a kid.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Messi has his statues, I have my displates

EOVK6FHW4AIrdQp

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I got way too excited at the possible myra fermin cameo in The Question #2, although I am somewhat disappointed at the it was a dream... or is it? bit at the end. Still a great read, with a Vic I like

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Lucifer is still damn good, I don't even mind that it has undone the perfect ending of the previous series now

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be Kyle. A) he's not doing much and B) King has already written him before.
see the fact that the Kyle panel is an explicit callback to The Omega Men would point me away from him, so my guess out of the 36 is Tommy Tomorrow, because I just checked his bio on wikipedia and he literally graduated from Space West Point and that's the kind of too on-the-nose by half shit that Tom King is way into, plus if you're gonna have a book about the rose-tinted vision of colonialism, the future space cop put in charge of an army of aliens from all over feels like bang on the theme

e: also the line in Heroes in Crisis sounds like the exact kind of formal exercise bullshit that Tom King loves to write, so again, it's the safe bet

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
see the fact that the Kyle panel is an explicit callback to The Omega Men would point me away from him, so my guess out of the 36 is Tommy Tomorrow, because I just checked his bio on wikipedia and he literally graduated from Space West Point and that's the kind of too on-the-nose by half shit that Tom King is way into, plus if you're gonna have a book about the rose-tinted vision of colonialism, the future space cop put in charge of an army of aliens from all over feels like bang on the theme

e: also the line in Heroes in Crisis sounds like the exact kind of formal exercise bullshit that Tom King loves to write, so again, it's the safe bet

So the book will start two blond, similar-looking white dudes?

Like, they're almost wholly cut from the same cloth that is feels like a waste.
91OqzwNTGAL.jpg

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
What does Kyle add to the narrative?

"Adam Strange is one of a long line of characters—like Tarzan and Flash Gordon, stolid men with dimpled chins who thrive in 'foreign lands'—who stand in as a metaphor for a 19th century European dream of colonialism," said King. "Of course, colonialism was nothing like this dream, and it's that contrast that interests me: the bloody gap between the myth and the reality."

Kyle Rayner is very much not that. He is the contrast. He is not white, his life has never been the four-color punch em' up that Adam's has been. He's the voice of reason.

Tommy Tomorrow is literally just the same thing. So yeah, it'll probably be him as the most boring option.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Kyle Rayner is very much not that. He is the contrast. He is not white, his life has never been the four-color punch em' up that Adam's has been. He's the voice of reason.

Tommy Tomorrow is literally just the same thing. So yeah, it'll probably be him as the most boring option.
I know who Kyle is lol. But what does Kyle's "voice of reason" add into a narrative about white men reckoning with colonialism and imperialism?

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017

I feel like the fact that one of the first pieces of artwork revealed for the project is a defaced picture of Adam Strange would, in the hypothesis of Tommy Tomorrow co-starring, make the point/counterpoint of "the dream of colonialism", Adam Strange finding a home and love on Rann while having space adventures, versus "the reality of colonialism", Tommy Tomorrow telling a bunch of aliens what to do and making their lives worse.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
Regarding the character, King said "We have hints. If you look closely at Heroes in Crisis and Mister Miracle and a little bit in Batman, you could figure it out."

If it's Kyle, how does that quote fit?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if Kyle would add anything to the narrative lol, but hes still my number one pick for a compelling co-lead. Only because hes my favorite GL and doesnt get all that much to do in the books im reading.

It will be this Tommy Tomorrow person though. Never heard of him before, but that seems like the most likely.

Guess I could always just read Omega Men to get my Kyle fix.

I bet it's Hawkman cuz of Rann-Thanagar stuff.
I would like that a lot actually.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I know who Kyle is lol. But what does Kyle's "voice of reason" add into a narrative about white men reckoning with colonialism and imperialism?
You don't think a Mexican American and former Omega Man might have something to do with colonialism and imperialism?

I'm just, throwing those things out there.

I feel like the fact that one of the first pieces of artwork revealed for the project is a defaced picture of Adam Strange would, in the hypothesis of Tommy Tomorrow co-starring, make the point/counterpoint of "the dream of colonialism", Adam Strange finding a home and love on Rann while having space adventures, versus "the reality of colonialism", Tommy Tomorrow telling a bunch of aliens what to do and making their lives worse.
So the co-lead is the villain? Sure then.

Regarding the character, King said "We have hints. If you look closely at Heroes in Crisis and Mister Miracle and a little bit in Batman, you could figure it out."

If it's Kyle, how does that quote fit?

No clue. How does Tommy Tomorrow fit any better?

KineAg62

May 8, 2018

Empyre gets a Hick-Men tie-in. Other tie-in titles to be announced later this week.

Very interesting. I know Deadly Genesis gets a lot of flack, but I really enjoyed it and the resulting Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar storyline. Can't wait!

Second Coming #6 comes out today and (as far as I know) ends the series. It's been a real enjoyable ride so far and a lot more heartfelt than I thought it would be. Typical Russel zaniness.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017

There must be a big Catwoman thing coming up. Kings story, SGMs stuff now Cameron Stewart. Where's Ann Nocenti?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My only guess was that it'd be Strange's wife Alanna, but they already confirmed she'd be included so it doesn't make sense she'd also be the main character. I think King's writing is better when it includes women in major roles. When it's largely just men it gets caught up in a lot of tropey masculinity garbo. Not really holding out much hope anymore.

The Tommy Tomorrow theory sounds right. Show one man directly benefitting from awfulness, show another strikingly similar man facing all of the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.