• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I did a 2 hour run this afternoon and now I'm in bed getting ready to watch Godzilla King of the Monsters. If I get spunky I might read some Batman stuff too. Either my best life or worst life, not sure yet.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
are we seriously acting like forcing morrison to edit his shit so green lantern season 2 doesn't get fully up its own ass in the way the back half of season one did is a bad thing

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
In an ideal world DC would have transitioned Berger to main line DC and put her on track to be EIC.

But too many I-scratch-your-back cliques to break-up I guess.
Didn't they offer to transition her over to the main line and she declined? I don't think Berger has any interest in capes to be honest. A DC mainline overseen by her would sure be something though lol.
are we seriously acting like forcing morrison to edit his shit so green lantern season 2 doesn't get fully up its own ass in the way the back half of season one did is a bad thing
If DC was capable of actual quality editing Heroes in Crisis would've never happened so count your blessings. They downgraded the issues for either sales or because of 5G.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
okay can someone tell me what happens in the last three issues of season one, this is not me being messy and argumentative, it's genuinely I'm not sure myself

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm just about to finish season 1 and I very much disagree. Morrison has earned the right to do whatever he likes as long as he likes.

Waiting for Tt Batman to finish downloading the 2nd episode of the 2nd season. I love the cheesiness of all the Tt games. Weirdly Fables has been my least favorite. WD and Batman are great though.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they offer to transition her over to the main line and she declined? I don't think Berger has any interest in capes to be honest. A DC mainline overseen by her would sure be something though lol.

I remember reading that while her job title at Vertigo meant she was at the top of the decision making tree, the same job title at DC would have essentially been a demotion, having to report up two+ levels.

That's about when all the Berganza nonsense was hitting the public too I think so maybe she just got tired. (To think Berganza was still in a major position for 5 years after that).

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
okay can someone tell me what happens in the last three issues of season one, this is not me being messy and argumentative, it's genuinely I'm not sure myself

gonna put this in tags since Astro Cat is still reading it

Hal and the GL's of the multiverse are called to Earth-15 answering a false multiversal distress signal where they hope to find the Cosmic Grail (as teased in Multiversity). The whole thing was a lie perpetuated by Zunderwell(?) as he's been capturing Lanterns and holding them in stasis for his own needs. Meanwhile the GLC is teaming up with what seems to be a precursor to the Legion taking on the Qwa-Man from the antimatter universe. Hal returns and catches up with the GLC to find they think they've beaten Qwa-Man, but it comes back.
The antimatter Sinestro reveals he was paid by Mu to bring the Qwa-Man to the positive matter universe, but he's taken down by Qwa-Man and an agent from the antimatter universe. As Hal is taking down Qwa-Man his ring is losing charge and an antimatter/positive matter detonation is imminent (remember Final Crisis with Ultraman and Superman). Just as Hal's ring hits zero Mu warps him back the Blackstars base and tells Hal if he doesn't use the wish machine to rewrite reality, then it will all end from the antimatter war. This leads to the Blackstars book. The epilogue to issue 12 sets up the Weaponers as antimatter versions of the GLC.

It's all pretty straight forward to be honest

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Kyle Rayner is the best lantern
Truth. Though I like Jess too.

Is it because of that whole Arisia thing?
Nah, I just dislike his basic square-jawed hero composition.

It's essentially Dark Nights: Metal for Green Lantern instead of Batman. Hal Jordan is fucking around in the multiverse, trapped by a crazy Super Lantern Don Quixote who is gathering Lanterns for the ultimate battle. The Lanterns of the Multi-verse raise up and beat him, but not before Evil Anti-Matter Hal—HAL JORDAN WHO LAUGHS—is freed in No Man's Land for the galaxy. So Hal meets posh anti-matter Sinestro, who reveals the Blackstars paid him to put HJWhoLMAOs in Sector Zero. Then the Qwa-Master spawns and goes Oen-Winged Angel on everyone, before the Blackstars teleport Hal out. Then the Blackstar show Hal that everything has been about building the ultimate bomb to remake the universe, with Hal at the center.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
much thanks for the explainers, having those in mind while re-reading the comics with a nice tea helped; I still say it's a whole lot of complex terminology, and I did google Earth-15 to make sure of something, but I do mostly get it now

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Morrison's frustrating for a lot of readers at times because you do need to sort of hold those threads from his past writings in mind. Personally I love that. But I get it.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
I don't think it's necessary to understand the plot in every Morrison story. It's enough for me to feel what he makes me feel. Like, intricacy can have value in terms of texture and flavor and scale, in a way that doesn't have anything to do with understanding.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's necessary to understand the plot in every Morrison story. It's enough for me to feel what he makes me feel. Like, intricacy can have value in terms of texture and flavor and scale, in a way that doesn't have anything to do with understanding.

I think what frustrates me about the last few issues of Green Lantern is that they're big on the intricacies, it's one big cataclysmic evil plan going into the other big cataclysmic evil plan, with Hal and the other characters existing as functions of the story more than anything else. It's all "OFFICER DOWN!" and "HE'S HAD ENOUGH, JORDAN" and all that stuff.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
much thanks for the explainers, having those in mind while re-reading the comics with a nice tea helped; I still say it's a whole lot of complex terminology, and I did google Earth-15 to make sure of something, but I do mostly get it now

Again, this is why I prefer Synder. Snyder shares many of Morrison's traits, but he doesn't get too far up his own ass and remembers to couch the emotional stakes in the (mostly comprehensible) story as well.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Again, this is why I prefer Synder. Snyder shares many of Morrison's traits, but he doesn't get too far up his own ass and remembers to couch the emotional stakes in the (mostly comprehensible) story as well.
I once heard Snyder described as the pop version of Morrison's underground act and while I don't think that's entirely fair, he sure does seem to be able to connect with the mainstream in a way Morrison has struggled with.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Wow, I don't see that at all. What aspects do you find similar? (Though I have only read Snyder's Batman and some of American Vampire)

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I once heard Snyder described as the pop version of Morrison's underground act and while I don't think that's entirely fair, he sure does seem to be able to connect with the mainstream in a way Morrison has struggled with.
He's very good at writing in a way that gives the reader the "Aha!" moment. Even if you're able to kinda see the big twists coming from a mile away if you're reading carefully.

Where as Morrison just his you with wild shit and if you make the connection, it feels amazing. If you don't? Get ready to be lost lol

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Snyder plays at being what Morrison actually is.
Probably, but I argue Snyder is far better at reaching the mainstream audience with what's he's pushing.

It might not be fair, but I think it's accurate and it's worked out in his favor.

Wow, I don't see that at all. What aspects do you find similar? (Though I have only read Snyder's Batman and some of American Vampire)

Ah, there's your problem. Read Batman, Dark Knights, and Justice League. All three are just Snyder doing riffs on Morrison's stuff and returning Morrison concepts to the forefront.

Note, I'm being a little reductive here, but I really enjoy Snyder as the version of Morrison that remembers that the average person occasionally reads these things.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Snyder is great at making a point through recontextualizing an idea he introduces early on, so at the end of the arc he'll have someone repeat something that was said in issue one, and it will, in spite of everything else, give the illusion of a coherent whole.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
MHWilliams summed it up that this could be the next shift as DC losing their steam

I'd argue that they've long lost their steam. We're a long way from Rebirth at this point, which had a ton of great comics that gradually went away. There's still some great stuff: Justice League, Shazam, GL, Legion, YJ, Action, Flash, GL: FS, but I think Marvel's doing pretty strongly at the moment with no signs of stopping.

Hopefully 5G is their attempt at restoring some excitement to the brand.

Edit: Random, but if they're going to do new heroes, Superman should be Kenan Kong. Let Jon be a Legionnaire. Also, if the whole point of this is the timeline being expanded...why can't you tell stories from every era?

May 24, 2019
How about we wait until the remotest details of the ongoing comics are announced before we declare 5G a disaster?

Also, if the whole point of this is the timeline being expanded...why can't you tell stories from every era?

I totally think they should. I hope WW #750 establishing her operating in WW1 or 2 leads to second WW comic set back then.

Last edited:

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily think 5G as rumored is a bad idea. You need throw out some new takes in order to find the next thing. Going to your creators and saying, "Hey, you got Batman and anyone can be in the suit, go wild," is a great thing on paper.

Like, I've called the idea DC You 2.0, and I liked some of the swings they took there, like Street Superman or Robobats.

But I don't know if 5G is the kind of thing that will sell well, especially within the confines of the Direct Market. DC You didn't really hurt the line, but didn't help it either in the same way that New 52 or Rebirth did.

Which is to say, creatively I'm on board, but I understand why DC or retailers would be hesitant.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Wednesday Warriors hate change anyways but a lot of these moves lately live and die by Diamond still.

Deleted member 60729

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 20, 2019
5G is titled as such because here soon I'm going to offer up five grand to anyone who promises to stop complaining about it before it's even been announced.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Probably, but I argue Snyder is far better at reaching the mainstream audience with what's he's pushing.

It might not be fair, but I think it's accurate and it's worked out in his favor.

Ah, there's your problem. Read Batman, Dark Knights, and Justice League. All three are just Snyder doing riffs on Morrison's stuff and returning Morrison concepts to the forefront.

Note, I'm being a little reductive here, but I really enjoy Snyder as the version of Morrison that remembers that the average person occasionally reads these things.
I agree with all of this. While I appreciate his complexity, Snyder makes it so much easier. Looking back I should've realized that after Black Mirror which still maybe my favorite work of his.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily think 5G as rumored is a bad idea. You need throw out some new takes in order to find the next thing. Going to your creators and saying, "Hey, you got Batman and anyone can be in the suit, go wild," is a great thing on paper.

Like, I've called the idea DC You 2.0, and I liked some of the swings they took there, like Street Superman or Robobats.

But I don't know if 5G is the kind of thing that will sell well, especially within the confines of the Direct Market. DC You didn't really hurt the line, but didn't help it either in the same way that New 52 or Rebirth did.

Which is to say, creatively I'm on board, but I understand why DC or retailers would be hesitant.

I disliked a large portion of DC You (those things included) but I applauded their attempt to try new things. The issue here is that we definitely need more information than what we have on it. It really depends on the approach to each comic, because I don't know how successful it's EVER been to replace a hero with someone new rather than existing characters. Dick Grayson Batman went over incredibly well and is remembered well, but people poke fun at JPV because it shouldn't have happened, even if that design was cute.

It's the same here: you wanna replace Batman, use Tim (or Duke if you want a person of color), don't make up someone new.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
yeah I feel like we'll get some hint of clarity as to what the fuck is up at DC when WW #750 drops and we start seeing the shape of the unified timeline

SPEAKING OF

Basketful of Heads #4 - look this took a while to get to the good part but now that we're there it's very good
Batman #87 - oh I'm excited for Batman to get weird, bring it on Guillem March
Batman Superman #6 - so at this point I don't really know what this book is for, but David Marquez sure is still drawing it so here we are

John Constantine: Hellblazer #3
Shazam #10 - this is still good, but now I know that there's the fireworks factory ahead and yeah I'm hype
Superman #19 - hey good luck following an all-timer of an issue, gang

Wonder Twins #11
Wonder Woman #750 - as I said, this better fucking WOW me
Year of the Villain: Hell Arisen #2 - hey remember how this is still going on? because it is, it is completely going on

Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - okay so Cates did a great job making Cosmic Marvel feel weird and dangerous again, Ewing you better be bringing it, I don't want wacky, I don't want small, I want Big and I want Scary

Marauders #6

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
The way #751 seems to be ignoring any mention of a new timeline does not fill me with hope.
I don't really need it to be an ongoing concern stat, this is gonna be a long-term thing where just about all hands at DC are gonna have to get their shit together. If there's a good conceptualization of that in #750 I think it'll do a lot to reassure people.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.