Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate they're spicing up the DC movie lineup with some deep cuts, I just wish they were deep cuts I cared about.

And, like, the cat has been out of the bag for decades, but dammit people need to stop making the Wonder Woman mythos into gritty fantasy drama grumble grumble grumble.

Feb 16, 2022
I'm very bummed about it too and really want to see the movie anyway, but at this point people should start accepting that Batgirl maybe just wasn't fit for release

Also irritated at people in the DC slate thread freaking out about Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. Real "tell me you don't read comics without telling me you don't read comics" kind of thing

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even knowing that Tom King is a good writer, and that the Superwoman movie is based on his comic, you gotta admit "hardcore Supergirl" is a tough sell when we've had 10+ years of "hardcore DC heroes" landing with a thud.

Feb 16, 2022
Even knowing that Tom King is a good writer, and that the Superwoman movie is based on his comic, you gotta admit "hardcore Supergirl" is a tough sell when we've had 10+ years of "hardcore DC heroes" landing with a thud.
It's just a figure of speech considering she's still Supergirl. She's just dropped in a sword-and-fantasy setting.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but to focus on one word out of the whole description, you have to ignore the context of James Gunn knowing how to separate his dark stuff from his fun stuff , this being a reboot of DC and not being done by Snyder/Johns, and that they're trying to separate it from the Supergirl show.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, logically. But here's the pull quote Gunn went with:

"We will see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he was an infant, versus Supergirl, raised on a rock, a chip off of Krypton, and who watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life and then come to Earth. She is much more hardcore and not the Supergirl we're used to."

You read that, and your mind immediately flashes to guys like Zach Snyder and Dwayne Johnson selling their badass, tough, not-your-daddy's-hero movies. If you're pitching a more matured, introspective take on Supergirl, this is not how you do it.

If Feige came out selling Young Avengers as "traumatized kids who take zero shit and don't play by the rules," I'd be rolling my eyes the same way, even if that's not an inaccurate description of those runs.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, logically. But here's the pull quote Gunn went with:

"We will see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he was an infant, versus Supergirl, raised on a rock, a chip off of Krypton, and who watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life and then come to Earth. She is much more hardcore and not the Supergirl we're used to."

You read that, and your mind immediately flashes to guys like Zach Snyder and Dwayne Johnson selling their badass, tough, not-your-daddy's-hero movies. If you're pitching a more matured, introspective take on Supergirl, this is not how you do it.

If Feige came out selling Young Avengers as "traumatized kids who take zero shit and don't play by the rules," I'd be rolling my eyes the same way, even if that's not an inaccurate description of those runs.

True true

I feel like it's another example of Gunn talking "too much". If you cut the last sentence, it comes off across better.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.