• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Batman #50?

• Spoiler

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Spoiler

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That they're a family is part of why we really don't need a dozen books running concurrently.

I dunno, I think I've laid out my position on this pretty well already. There's a lot of bad in the decade between 08 and now. Scale is not what the team needs, quality and consistency is.

Edit: Eh, it's a line already, of course. I'm more saying they really don't need to introduce anymore books than the current ongoings. And I think they know that and that's why a bunch of the recent reveals are minis.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
She's always been core to the New Mutants, and that group as a whole is popular. Cannonball, Richter, Wolfsbane, Multiple Man, Magik, Sunspot, Boom Boom. They're all popular when it comes to X characters

Yeah, but there's a clear gap between say Magik and wolfsbane.

I'd say she occupies a place more akin to say Angel or Gambit in terms of exposure.

Just shy of anybody who's o5 (you know besides angel) or Giant Sized.

There's few that I can think of who really dwell there save the few breakouts in Kitty/Jubilee/Cable/X-23

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
417420a91baae83850cfb71a038ec184.jpg

Man, I wish we got a new New Warriors that matched this.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
That they're a family is part of why we really don't need a dozen books running concurrently.

I dunno, I think I've laid out my position on this pretty well already. There's a lot of bad in the decade between 08 and now. Scale is not what the team needs, quality and consistency is.

Edit: Eh, it's a line already, of course. I'm more saying they really don't need to introduce anymore books than the current ongoings. And I think they know that and that's why a bunch of the recent reveals are minis.
I'm not saying they need to introduce more books. I'm saying that whomever does Uncanny needs to have these qualities to give the line direction. The past has shown a line with direction is a good thing. Like, I was never against the idea of quality and consistency. In fact, I've stated exactly how I believe we need to get that because that's just how this shit works.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I like Magik because honestly having a character that's a straight up demon sorceress and rules a hell-dimension is just fucking cool.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying they need to introduce more books. I'm saying that whomever does Uncanny needs to have these qualities to give the line direction. The past has shown a line with direction is a good thing. Like, I was never against the idea of quality and consistency. In fact, I've stated exactly how I believe we need to get that because that's just how this shit works.

I think you're overstating the direction angle of it though. These books will be good by and large because of the writers and artists actually on them. Or they won't be.

Like, if Cullen Bunn fucks up X-Factor, that's more than likely going to have comparatively little to whatever Coates is doing in Uncanny, speaking hypothetically.

The kind of thing where Hickman wrote Avengers and then NA, did plotting for Avengers World, dictated the general status quo for 616, and did two full events with outlines for how to handle tie-ins? You're not going to get that for X-Men unless it's him because the only other guy who could even come close to anything like that only works for DC, barring some left field poach by Marvel.

If it isn't Hickman, it's gonna be a writer who has a solid concept that other writers can build off. The direction aspect is largely going to end there though.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
The Saga news made me realise that it would be wise to broaden my horizons. I jumped on Paper Girls and absolutely loved it but what else is out there? I see that I tend to gravitate towards Image Comics but that doesn't need to be the case, as long as it isn't superhero stuff. Big fan of the Matt Fraction Hawkeye run though.
I don't read a lot of cape stuff as it's never really appealed to me all that much. I'm much more interested in creator-owned and slice of life stuff. That said, there's a ton of great stuff out there beyond Paper Girls such as Kaijumax by Zander Cannon under Oni Press; Immortal Hulk; Highest House under IDW; Usagi Yojimbo under Dark Horse; and Abbott (5 issue mini-series) under Boom to name a few. DC has some solid stuff too such as Christopher Priest's run of Deathstroke. Tom King's The Vision and Sheriff of Babylon are critically acclaimed series before he wrote Batman and Mister Miracle. I've never read the aforementioned comics but they've been on numerous best comic books lists.

I mostly cover Image Comics and indie stuff (Dark Horse, Oni Press, etc.) for work but some of my favorite Image Comics series of late include Scales and Scoundrels (I'm biased since I covered the first 10 issues of the series and interviewed the creators); The Fix; Monstress; Maestros; Prism Stalker; Sleepless; and Infidel (Mini-series that ended. There's TPB coming out in September) to name a few. I recently enjoyed The New World, New Lieutenants of Metal, and Farmhand in addition to other mini-series such as Barrier. If you want an easy way to expand your horizons, wait for Humble Bundle sales on comics because you get a ton of stuff to sample from.

Latest and greatest spoiler-free mini-reviews from upcoming comics releases:

DC:

Adventure of the Super Sons #1-
Full disclosure: I haven't read any of the main DC series/spin-offs. With that being said, I found it pretty fun. Robin and Superboy have really good chemistry and the plot moves at a brisk pace. It lives up to its adventure namesake. I might keep tuning in.

Batman #52- I tune into King's stuff sporadically because it's hit or miss but I've read both the last issue and the stuff on #50. I like the way this arc is progressing with Bruce Wayne stuck in jury duty having to explaining his reason why he dissented. It's got a Law and Order feel to it which is cool. There's some really great panels on Wayne's subtle facial expressions but I'll say no more.

Deathstroke #32-
Again, I tuned into the penultimate issue of the arc but I like how tense this issue is. Deathstroke is quite a formidable opponent for Batman because they have a crazy fight where they call each other's flaws out. I only have Batman: Arkham Origins for context but it's a really solid issue. It makes wish that Priest would do a Batman run. I want to retroactively read the previous issues in this arc.

Mister Miracle #10- I still have no idea what this series is about other than its existentialist themes and 2 men, Darkseid, god, and quasi-slice-of-life stuff. But that's okay because it's really interesting and pretty damn good. Gerads has a bunch of excellent panels and pages in this issue beginning with the cold-opening on a glass of whiskey. Gerads earned an Eisner for damn good reason and that's because the man is crazy talented with drawing and coloring everything.

Image Comics:

Leviathan #1-
John Layman's penchant for sarcastic, satirical humor is strong in this series. It's pretty damn good! The scale and destruction of the titular beast is absolutely insane. Nick Pitarra mentioned in an episode of Off The Panel that Geoff Darrow is an influence and it shows because there's a TON of details in the environments. The colors are excellent too. I don't want to spoil anything in particular, but I will say that the creators poke fun of a certain president of the United States. This my Image Comics pick of the week.

Scales and Scoundrels #11- Sadly, this is the penultimate issue before the creators are taking an indefinite hiatus from it. There's hints that they're looking for other avenues to continue the series so I wonder what happened. I asked my editor if I can continue to cover the series and she declined which breaks my heart because this series has a lot of charm and soul in it.

That being said, it's cool to finally see Dorma's home and culture. This issue explores themes such as coming to terms with a loved one's passing and individualism vs collectivism. It's another solid issue for sure so I look forward seeing its finale next issue since it ends on a cliffhanger.

Stray Bullets: Sunshine and Roses #37- This issue begins on a grim note which sets the tone for it before it lightens up for the middle part. Every time I read this series, I feel like I need a drink afterwards because it's dark as sin. That said, this issue isn't quite as dark but Lapham is really good at showing how one bad apple spoils the bunch through Beth. This issue takes place in 1982 in Arizona and follows Beth, Orson, and Nina but I'll say nothing else other than trouble comes looking for them and LA traffic sucks.

The Last Siege #3- I'm still not feeling this series yet I don't know why I keep following it. The panels in this issue are a bit confusing to follow because I'm reading it in PDF format. The girl protagonist still doesn't have much agency, and the short story that fills in the gap of the king's back story is okay but eh I don't care. It's a lackluster series

Still on my to read list:
Head Lopper Vol. 2 in which I'm at chapter 3
X-Men: Grand Design Second Genesis which I have a hard time reading. I need to read it sans 0 distractions.
I decided to read the first volumes of Redneck and Evolution, both by Image. Pretty disappointing.
Ouch! Both series don't look appealing to me so I've never read them. What was disappointing about both of them?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I read Superman Rebirth Deluxe Vol 2.

Multiplicity wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. It was solid, but just felt like filler, which is sad, since the concept could make for one super awesome arc. Next up was the annual with Swamp Thing. That was quite good, though the pace was super brisk and I couldn't savor it. Also, while I LOVE Jorge Jiminez's art, I don't like how he drew Swamp Thing at all. Too slick, too shiny.

After Swamp Thing was a issue that I'm assuming probably happened around Halloween, centering on Jon and his friend (can't remember her name) going to a forbidden swamp to locate his friend's grandpa. It was creepy, with great art and great writing. Really liked it. The final arc, Black Dawn (I think that's what it was called), was EXCELLENT. Right up there with the arcs in the first deluxe edition. Interesting that Tomasi seems to really deliver on the stuff dealing with the Super family, whereas I actually think Jurgens did better with the Superman "solo" stories on his Action Comics run than Tomasi did on the solo Superman arcs like Multiplicity.

Ended with a fill-in issue about Superman learning to accept Jon as his own person by remembering his relationship with Pa. It was actually a great issue. I enjoyed it a lot.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I think you're overstating the direction angle of it though. These books will be good by and large because of the writers and artists actually on them. Or they won't be.

Like, if Cullen Bunn fucks up X-Factor, that's more than likely going to have comparatively little to whatever Coates is doing in Uncanny, speaking hypothetically.

The kind of thing where Hickman wrote Avengers and then NA, did plotting for Avengers World, dictated the general status quo for 616, and did two full events with outlines for how to handle tie-ins? You're not going to get that for X-Men unless it's him because the only other guy who could even come close to anything like that only works for DC, barring some left field poach by Marvel.

If it isn't Hickman, it's gonna be a writer who has a solid concept that other writers can build off. The direction aspect is largely going to end there though.
I'm really not. I'm saying framework and direction helps and I genuinely think it's necessary to get things on track in the right direction.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not. I'm saying framework and direction helps and I genuinely think it's necessary to get things on track in the right direction.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. They really just need to put a good book out. You get caught up in plans and that's how you get events no one wants and story limitations that make writers hate to even work on these books. And we've seen it happen.

One step at a time.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could forget who Ethan Van Sciver was but it's hard when I keep seeing him around every corner. That stupid ass 90s frog thing he has as an avatar will forever be etched into the grey matter of my brain.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the Infinite Crisis omni. Man this thing is massive. I didn't realize, but pretty much half of this material will be completely new to me (I pretty much have just read Infinite Crisis Special, Omac Project, Villains United, and Infinite Crisis itself). So a few of the IC specials, Superman Sacrifice, Rann/Thanagar War, Day of Vengeance, and Crisis of Conscience will be all new.

It starts with the Infinite Crisis Special and Omac Project. It's great stuff. I am loving it a lot more now that I've read so much more DC comics than I did the first time I had read it. Not just knowing all the characters or organizations, whereas I didn't know of a lot of them the first time, but also, for example, Blue Beetle's context with Max Lord, knowing about and having now read Justice League International.

It's just really good stuff.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of depressing if true. They're all decent guys but I don't like DC's "brain trust" as much as I like Hickman.

The second half of that makes me believe it's false, though. "The Akira Yashida thing" is something Marvel is going to pretend doesn't exist, so even seeing real Betsy again is likely a coincidence. More you read the second post the more it sounds like low key fanfiction.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Reading the Infinite Crisis omni. Man this thing is massive. I didn't realize, but pretty much half of this material will be completely new to me (I pretty much have just read Infinite Crisis Special, Omac Project, Villains United, and Infinite Crisis itself). So a few of the IC specials, Superman Sacrifice, Rann/Thanagar War, Day of Vengeance, and Crisis of Conscience will be all new.

It starts with the Infinite Crisis Special and Omac Project. It's great stuff. I am loving it a lot more now that I've read so much more DC comics than I did the first time I had read it. Not just knowing all the characters or organizations, whereas I didn't know of a lot of them the first time, but also, for example, Blue Beetle's context with Max Lord, knowing about and having now read Justice League International.

It's just really good stuff.

Nice! I'm still working up to Infinite Crisis myself, following this reading guide since I am so unfamiliar with the DC universe outside of major Batman stories.

http://crisis2crisis.com/

I am skipping some stuff I don't really care to bother with, but the list touches on a lot of beloved classics I have been meaning to get around to reading anyway, so two birds. Currently about to start the Green Lantern Parallax story which I was always curious about when Reign of Superman took out Coast City. And it should help contextualize some character stuff for when I get to Johns' GL run further down. Basically my quest to read Crisis has turned into "read everything important in the last few decades of DC", but it's been fun.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'd kill for Hickman with ACO, but then

"The hot claws were a dumb idea and Hickman isn't going to use them"

"The hot claws were a dumb idea"

"Hickman isn't going to use a character's new powers"

"THE HOT CLAWS WERE A DUMB IDEA"

It's fake, guys

I mean, that's the least fake thing in that post lol. I can easily see any writer going "Wow that power's stupid, I'm not using it".

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Actually that rumor made me remembrer that at the end of No Surrender
Sunspot becomes "Citizen X" and decides it's time to go back to mutants
And I'm super ready for Ewing X-men

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why Magic wasn't an A-List X-Man. She's usually just there as the team teleporter.

Well in her original appearance it was that her hell-magic didn't really work on Earth, I think there were concerns that her armor would make her go full demon (I think?), and her sword was only good against magic. Well or course she could just send everyone to Limbo to be tortured by demons but that was frowned upon for some reason.

I don't know as much about modern Magik but I get the impression she's pretty powerful. And if she took the time/had the training for not-Limbo magic she'd basically be the most powerful magic-user on the planet/in the galaxy or whatever.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Ewing also wrote a dope Sunspot. People love them some New Mutants.

Also the Heat Claws are a great idea.
Actually that rumor made me remembrer that at the end of No Surrender
Sunspot becomes "Citizen X" and decides it's time to go back to mutants
And I'm super ready for Ewing X-men
I'm right with you.

Oh look it's Carnage.
Well in her original appearance it was that her hell-magic didn't really work on Earth, I think there were concerns that her armor would make her go full demon (I think?), and her sword was only good against magic. Well or course she could just send everyone to Limbo to be tortured by demons but that was frowned upon for some reason.

I don't know as much about modern Magik but I get the impression she's pretty powerful. And if she took the time/had the training for not-Limbo magic she'd basically be the most powerful magic-user on the planet/in the galaxy or whatever.
She's been training under past Dr. Strange in Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've only read three chapters of American Comic Book Planetes but it's wonderful, I already love it. I should've gotten it years ago.

I know people also say American Comic Book Vinland is also great, so I'll probably look into that since this author completely nails hard sci-fi so I imagine he also nails swords and sandals.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of depressing if true. They're all decent guys but I don't like DC's "brain trust" as much as I like Hickman.

The second half of that makes me believe it's false, though. "The Akira Yashida thing" is something Marvel is going to pretend doesn't exist, so even seeing real Betsy again is likely a coincidence. More you read the second post the more it sounds like low key fanfiction.

Yeah, that's about how I feel.

Dumb question I guess, but who is "ACO"?

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I've only read three chapters of American Comic Book Planetes but it's wonderful, I already love it. I should've gotten it years ago.

I know people also say American Comic Book Vinland is also great, so I'll probably look into that since this author completely nails hard sci-fi so I imagine he also nails swords and sandals.
I too have been reading a decent amount of American Comic Books. I finished American Comic Book Tokyo Tarareba Girls and that was quite good and down to earth. I also started American Comic Book Land of the Lustrous and it's cool so far, very interesting aesthetic and tone so far
Liking the art a lot.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's about how I feel.

Dumb question I guess, but who is "ACO"?
ACO, artist on the DCYou Midnighter series, did Nick Fury with James Robinson, is gonna do at least one issue of Wonder Woman. On some next level action violence shit with some balls-out layout work. Would be a get on any book.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the heat claws are a dope idea. In theory he could heat up his entire skeleton if he got submerged in water and he could just evaporate out of it.

Hire me, Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.