COMICS!!!|OT| July 2019 | No, More Mutants!

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

• Not Potato

Results are only viewable after voting.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What's interesting is that in interviews Hickman has stated that he isn't just launching a new era but has a beginning, middle, and end in mind. The Big Fear is of course that Marvel gets the X-Men stuck in that middle period and never lets Hickman end it his way. I believe he states that the length of reach part will be dependent on reception, so if people are loving one of the "stages" it will last longer.

On the bright side he's also said that once X-Men his over the rest of his dreams projects are all over at DC. So even when he finally leaves the X-Men we might finally get the DC stuff we didn't get this time.
Where did he say that?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Hickman is setting up 30 years worth of story by his own words, so what we see here could be around for as long as the stuff Claremont built up.

Where did he say that?
During his Q&A at SDCC. He also said that he was planning to do DC work, but the president of Marvel personally called him and asked how much would it cost for him to come back after Alsonso and Bendis left.

Vic_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis sure, but Alonso? Why would loosing him be a big deal lol? Seemed like he was a big part of Marvel's problems at the end there.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hickman is setting up 30 years worth of story by his own words, so what we see here could be around for as long as the stuff Claremont built up.

During his Q&A at SDCC. He also said that he was planning to do DC work, but the president of Marvel personally called him and asked how much would it cost for him to come back after Alsonso and Bendis left.
That implies he ain't trying to go to DC anymore LOL. Plus his X-Men run sounds like a five year project. DC might be in a completely different place by then.

Wanderer5

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
House of M - ★★★★★
Whoa, did I like this one. A few little things might have been a little confusing reading it standalone, like what had led to Scarlet Witch destroying the Avengers, why certain mutants are working for Shield, and then a hundred-year old Steve turns up, and Hawkeye is alive. But then it hits you, that Scarlet Witch is warping reality like she did on the very first page to give everyone what they want - a happy life - and in extension what Magneto wants really. This whole concept is so fucking cool, and fills me with excitement and awe. It starts to unravel when you meet Hawkeye in a hideout, and a young girl appears to have an oddly powerful ability. And then it hits you hard when Peter realizes his life with Gwen and his son is just an illusion. There’s some nice character work down here, and Wolverine is used to great effect as the POV going through this path to get from one point to the next. Emma is likable and strong, Cyclops is calm and steadfast, and Wanda is an unnerving mess. And how it all comes together is so creatively cool with an arrow straight in the back that isn’t real, so while it doesn’t kill, it makes the witch snap out of it, and then it fucking happens... “No more mutants.” KA-POW!!!

Now I’m curious, with all these mutant genes disappearing, and energies out of balance because of it, what consequences it’ll have on our planet.

I have one question though. The team went to Genosha to put an end to Wanda’s shenanigans, but when it all comes to an end, the reality warping is gone, but everyone wakes up back in bed or at Avengers HQ. So did they physically go to Genosha, or did everything transpire in their minds? Cause it’s my impression Wanda changed reality around everyone, and people were still physically moving around in the real world, but why did they wake up back at headquarters then?
I guess Wanda just put everyone back as a way to restore the world to how it was before, well beside having less mutants course.

House of M is enjoyable, and I think it was the first X-Men story that I have read actually (not that I have read much X-Men comics). Olivier Coipel is a pretty good artist too.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Bendis sure, but Alonso? Why would loosing him be a big deal lol? Seemed like he was a big part of Marvel's problems at the end there.
Alonso was EiC, so him going is a major shift no matter what.

30 years? Okay. That's enough. Y'all too worked up. Go to bed.
That's what they said at the panel lol.

So are we talking better or worse than Chuck Austin X-men

Nothing is worse than that right?
Nothing will ever be worse than the run.

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Morrison X-Men but the comparisons Hickman is getting to it are encouraging. Like it or not, it was the last time the franchise was taking on top tier talent with a bold new direction.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of Morrison X-Men but the comparisons Hickman is getting to it are encouraging. Like it or not, it was the last time the franchise was taking on top tier talent with a bold new direction.
Thinking of the various attempts with X-men that I remember

- Claremont’s big return in the 2000s : fizzled and was forgotten
- Whedon & Cassiday : delivered
- Morrison & Quietly : delivered and was done pretty quickly after Whedon if I recall
- schism was this big hyped up thing : Luke warm

Weiss

Oct 25, 2017
WHA!?? Something good to say about Morrison's X-Men? Say it aint so Weiss!
Morrison came in and Morrison'd up the place but at least it was new and exciting. The X-books had a few years of losing steam and relevance while the rest of the Big Two's output was pulling itself back up, and Morrison came in at the right time with a new take. It wasn't my thing, and you can draw a throughline from New X-Men to House of M and the constant genocide stories we've been stuck with for a decade and a half, but what the hell, at least it was doing something the X-Men we weren't getting anywhere else.

I can shittalk Watchmen some more if it'll make you feel better.

Thinking of the various attempts with X-men that I remember

- Claremont’s big return in the 2000s : fizzled and was forgotten
- Whedon & Cassiday : delivered
- Morrison & Quietly : delivered and was done pretty quickly after Whedon if I recall
- schism was this big hyped up thing : Luke warm
Eeeeehhhhh

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhh

Eh

This on the other hand I will never have a positive thing to say.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Mainline X-Men writers of the 2010, ranked:
1. Kieron Gillen
2. Jason Aaron
3. Brian Michael Bendis
4. Matt Fraction
5. Cullen Bunn
6. Jeff Lemire
7. Ed Brisson, Matthew Rosenberg, and Kelly Thompson
8. Marc Guggenheim
9. Matthew Rosenberg
I can't disagree with this order. I'd probably flip Bendis and Aaron depending on my mood, but largely... yeah.