• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Spurrier on Hellblazer sounds fantastic

Why are we getting so many good teams on comics now? It feels wrong to be blessed with so much content. I'm used to TBAs and Khoi Pham.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
New Constantine!!! Ive always wanted to read Hellblazer, just never dove in because of the sheer amount of issues lol. Will totally check this out, just not sure about Si Spurrier. Ive heard his newer stuff has been great.

i already own x-force so i was like 'let me read one issue while i have downtime between meetings'

damn i might be in it 100%. love religious cult nonsense.
It is awesome. The art isnt for everyone, but I thought it fit the tone of the book really well. Plus, you cant go wrong with Kyle and Yost.

I bought the complete collection tpbs for cheap when I saw what they were starting to go for, then I found out they did Harcover OHC versions as well. So pissed I didnt know about those earlier damnit!

The Cable run that started directly after Messiah Complex is neat, but I was not a fan of the art in that series at all. Messiah War is the only really important story though.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Really makes me wonder why they would even bother discontinuing the Vertigo line. They should have released all these Sandman books under Vertigo to begin with though.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
JC and I both discussed it and the only announcement that could be cooler than any of the ones today is an X-Force comic by Fiffe

Also here's a Piskor variant for F4

I can't believe I'm going to be buying a Fantastic Four book. The shogun is really putting in work.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

writer Simon Spurrier and artist Marcio Takara

HOLY SHIT YES. Si's been doing such incredible work on The Dreaming! This is so cool. Also, DC EXPANDING the Sandman Universe instead of culling it with the Vertigo snip coming soon? This is very very good news.

Also, y'all mfers better go read The Dreaming now.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd recommend Six-Gun Gorilla, The Spire, and Coda. The X-Men Legacy Spurrier run is probably his best Marvel stuff, though people seem to like his Star Wars: Doctor Aphra work, too.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are some good Spurrier books?
-The Simping Detective, a collection of film noir pastiche stories he did at 2000 AD. Excellent Frazier Irving artwork.

-Six Gun Gorilla, a sci-fi/fantasy story that also involves a giant six shooter gorilla. It's actually about learning to deal with grief and mistakes in a healthy way!

-The Spire: Same artist from six gun gorilla. A fantasy mystery with equal ties to Miyazaki and Crime fiction.

-legion: the Legion tv show cribs from this mightily

-Coda: kind of a LotR/Mad Max story starring a mute drifter in a post apocalyptic fantasy world

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
No! They took me off smut last year! I translate articles with musicians instead of manga now. It wasn't hentai that I translated before; it was ecchi, which is hentai for cowards.
Music over hentai?

5b3n4fM.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Knights of Sidonia Master Edition vol. 2 is out today. Just waiting to see how much itll be on IST before picking it up.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
-The Simping Detective, a collection of film noir pastiche stories he did at 2000 AD. Excellent Frazier Irving artwork.

-Six Gun Gorilla, a sci-fi/fantasy story that also involves a giant six shooter gorilla. It's actually about learning to deal with grief and mistakes in a healthy way!

-The Spire: Same artist from six gun gorilla. A fantasy mystery with equal ties to Miyazaki and Crime fiction.

-legion: the Legion tv show cribs from this mightily

-Coda: kind of a LotR/Mad Max story starring a mute drifter in a post apocalyptic fantasy world
Have you read much 2000 AD? Do you have other recommendations?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Need a shift away from manga. Can anyone recommend some fantasy and sci-fi graphic novels that are non-cape stories?

No Saga, No Sex Criminals. Quirk is good too.
Black Science

writer Simon Spurrier and artist Marcio Takara

Oh hell fucking yes

New Constantine!!! Ive always wanted to read Hellblazer, just never dove in because of the sheer amount of issues lol. Will totally check this out, just not sure about Si Spurrier. Ive heard his newer stuff has been great
Everything I've read from him has been great

What are some good Spurrier books?
Coda was fucking amazing and everyone should read it. Godshaper was great. Angelic was fun but incomplete. The Dreaming is perfect.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Bought X-Men: Grand Design 2, New Mutants: Zeb Wells Complete Collection and X-Men: Marauders. That should appease my appetite (alongside New Mutants: Demon Bear) till Jonathan Hickman's run starts at the end of the month. For now, I'll just get through Grand Design 1 and 2. One step at a time.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, theres a Hickman Image sale. His East of West is very good, but my favorite book by him at Image is Black Monday Murders. Just waiting for them to release the last arc of the book. Out of all of his works, I think that would make for an awesome show or film.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike it when creators vent their criticisms of their fanbase into the comic. It's like starting an argument who's been duct taped to a chair.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Never heard of it, y'all ever read it? Some of the panels I saw off Google make it seem pretty interesting.

I used to loooooove David Mack. I thought he was really pushing some boundaries with his Kabuki work. Then, allocations of copying other artists' work and not being able to actually draw. Frankly, I don't know what to fully believe on that front, but it cooled my enthusiasm for his work. I do think a lot of the first four (five?) Kabuki volumes have a lot going for them - even if their creation was ultimately derivative and not original, at least he was pulling from good places.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Bought X-Men: Grand Design 2, New Mutants: Zeb Wells Complete Collection and X-Men: Marauders. That should appease my appetite (alongside New Mutants: Demon Bear) till Jonathan Hickman's run starts at the end of the month. For now, I'll just get through Grand Design 1 and 2. One step at a time.

Whatever it takes.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute.

Since DC dissolved Vertigo, does that mean they put those series on DCU?

Please say yes. I've never read Sandman and I want to.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Have you read much 2000 AD? Do you have other recommendations?

There is so much good stuff in 2000AD it can be hard to know where to start. The Weekly issue would be my recommendation. You won't have a clue what's going on but stories are generally quite short runs and pretty soon you'd be reading brand new ones and be getting into the groove.

If you like digital the 2000AD website will sell you drm free copies too.

2000AD is an utterly amazing British insitution with a massive backlog of things to dip in and out of. Depends what you like. Some of the classics

Judge Dredd (Can't recommend anything with Dredd highly enough)
Nemesis the Warlock
Zenith (Some quality work by Grant Morrison)
Rogue Trooper
Slaine
The Ballad of Halo Jones (Alan Moore)
Indigo Prime
Nikolai Dante
Sinister Dexter

it's an almost endless list. Definitely start reading the weekly though if you can.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
What an awful take. I'm so tired of this ComicsGate brand of indignation. Like, he's walking right into the meta-criticism that Aaron is dropping and saying, "That's me! And calling me out only proves I'm right!"

Well. "Aaron is interested in a masculine brand of feminism" isn't too far off from what's happened with this version of She-Hulk. He's also right that not being conventionally attractive doesn't stop people from hitting on women and in fact, it does happen in that very comic, which is something I can't believe I missed while I was reading it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful take. I'm so tired of this ComicsGate brand of indignation. Like, he's walking right into the meta-criticism that Aaron is dropping and saying, "That's me! And calling me out only proves I'm right!"

I'm not saying She-Hulk wasn't frequently if not always used as a sexy fanservice pin up girl but it's still weird to me that a guy drains her of all her wit and personality and then treats her fans like sexist manbabies for not liking it.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Aaron's take on She-Hulk is bad and it will be a good day when someone else gets to write her again.

She's completely gone to waste is the problem. The comic ssue in question is probably the best use of her yet. Good character analysis and breakdown. The bigger issue being that certain fans are conflating how she isn't being used with ComicsGate bullshit.

Well. "Aaron is interested in a masculine brand of feminism" isn't too far off from what's happened with this version of She-Hulk. He's also right that not being conventionally attractive doesn't stop people from hitting on women and in fact, it does happen in that very comic, which is something I can't believe I missed while I was reading it.

That's complete bullshit and you know it, SageShinigami. There's no "masculine brand of feminism" at play. There's only feminism and then people who aren't feminists misusing the term to try and push opposing views. And I'm not even going to get into the rest of your comment. Completely irrelevant.

I'm not saying She-Hulk wasn't frequently if not always used as a sexy fanservice pin up girl but it's still weird to me that a guy drains her of all her wit and personality and then treats her fans like sexist manbabies for not liking it.

Nah, Weiss, don't go down this path, man. She can be the Hulk and still be that same woman she was. And pretending that calling out actual ComicsGate sexists is actually something more than that is bullshit. Don't conflate actual sexists with people who are critical. You're doing the sexists a favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.