• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Are comic sales reported at the comic shop or at final purchase? Do marvel still push 'order ten regular covers to get one variant cover' for the stores?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Black Cat #1 for the Artgerm variant. I have no shame.

I will not buy Marvel #1000 for that Emma variant, though, so maybe I do have a little shame. My shame exists somewhere between $5 and $10.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Disappointed at, what? That they're using their popular character or that the character is popular? Somethings can't be helped. At best these stories will grapple with why people shouldn't like him as much as they do. At worst they're missable.
Another team I am interested in working on a comic I have little interest in because of the main character. Just feels wasted, ya know?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
No, I get that. I mean why so many for Black Cat, that's more than some event issues.
Probably because it's Black Cat and no other reason. She's a prime target for variants.

Are comic sales reported at the comic shop or at final purchase? Do marvel still push 'order ten regular covers to get one variant cover' for the stores?
Comic shop

Marvel actually said at the Diamond retailer summit that they will be doing a lot less of that going forward in favor of open order.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

All numbers are based on orders placed by comic book shops. There's no tracking for how well those comics actually sold in-shop. So yeah, the numbers are definitely influenced by shops pursuing those rare variants and such. But say Marvel says, "Order 5 and we'll double your order for free!" those extra comics won't be included (like Marvel reportedly did for Invisible Woman #1). Just based on what I know, correct me if I'm wrong.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Another team I am interested in working on a comic I have little interest in because of the main character. Just feels wasted, ya know?
IDK, I can't get with that logic cuz that's a lot of big two comics for me. People I like a lot are put onto comics for characters I dislike or am not interested in. Again, at best it turns out good. At worst it's passable.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
IDK, I can't get with that logic cuz that's a lot of big two comics for me. People I like a lot are put onto comics for characters I dislike or am not interested in. Again, at best it turns out good. At worst it's passable.
The thing is that I really dislike Joker so it's worse than when it happens with almost anything else

May 24, 2019
They're doing Year of the Villain one-shots. How is Joker not gonna get one? At least there's an interesting person working on it (though who knows what level of work old man Carpenter will actually put in.)

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I don't expect, but imagine the Joker movie is not a big hit because it looks like predictable arthouse movie from people who thinks they have interesting and fresh take on the Joker.

Well DC still has the Batman Crowd who will eat the comics out of their hands, so it shouldn't be such huge risk. But it's same with every DC/Marvel Movie nobody needs so many new books about one character especially when they are targeting the same demographic.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some thoughts on stuff I've been catching up on from this last week or two in comics:

Batman Universe #1 was awesome.I think it's been easy to imagine Batman as a good fit for Bendis since he came to DC, but at least my own brain navigates to noir-y Batman with Maleev (like in Event Leviathan right now) in the vein of his Daredevil work. This ain't that, but it was basically incredible, Derington makes all the difference I guess. The tone just entirely shifts, the layouts, or composition of the panels I guess, are inspired, and it's just a really fun engaging read. I liked the running gag of no-one knowing who Batman is actually speaking to a lot.

The Dreaming #11 was fantastic. It's been fun to see Spurrier go deeper into his own tangled web he's built for himself in the dreaming with this second arc, but also seeing more and more elements of the larger Sandman world from the original run seep in. Another book with gorgeous art. When they announced this book I didn't expect Evely to stay on past the first arc I guess, but here she is and the issues have just gotten more and more impressive with each new stop on the search for dream.

All New Doom Patrol #1: Less to say on this but I did really enjoy it. Half an issue of set up is always a little bit of a bummer but the playfulness of the editor's notes were great. Hard to tell if it would actually clarify things for new readers but they were a fun little story in their own right throughout the ish, and the resolution to the conundrum on Orbus (?) was hilarious. I actually laughed out loud at the panel where the villain screamed "I love classic rock!!!"

Sea of Stars #1 was really nice looking at least, Stephen Green is going to be great on that book, not only with the sheer visual spectacle , but I really enjoyed his expressions too. There wasone panel where the kid is ignoring his dad and I really did really think to myself "I know that look, the little shit...." hah. Mostly just fulfilling the solicit/premise but it was exciting visually at least, Renzi's color work was really dazzling in the wide space shots.

Oh and stretching back a little, I read the Mignola/Fegredo HB one shot from a feeeew weeks back. This was a genuinely good one shot and at least in my mind, the way I'd prefer to see Hellboy going forward, post BPRD finishing up. I don't need the continued adventures shoehorned in by other writers but if Mignola himself has a killer idea and a top of the line artist he wants to make it happen with, then fair game. Fegredo is still a treasure.

I pretty much agree with everything you say here about Batman Universe and Doom Patrol, but I'm not gonna lie, I had no idea a new Hellboy one shot came out after BPRD ended. The continued employment of Scott Allie and Mignola's refusal to credit others has pretty much excised all that from my brain.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reading through lots of good stuff now:
Morrison's Room Patrol
Sandman Mystery Theater
Sunstone

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Reading through Robinson Starman

And wow I do not like Robinson's prose. I like the rest of it though (the characters, the teased plot so far etc), so I'll stick with it. Plus I already paid for it so

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Did someone post this from Ellis' newsletter last week?
Warren Ellis said:
I "accidentally" upset my "friend" Chip Zdarsky the other day and he kindly made me this business card for his company:
5A08bL3.png

Also, speaking of Ellis' newsletter, his signoffs always make me feel good. Here are some to help you through the rest of the week:

Warren Ellis said:
You take care of yourself this week. Lift your head, look the world right in the eye and tell it that this is where you belong and you're not fucking moving. And if they argue, tell them I fucking sent you. You're in good shape and you've got time to take five minutes for yourself.
My favorite:
Warren Ellis said:
Take a breath. Feel your feet on the ground. You're standing on a ball that's spinning at a thousand miles an hour. And the ball is moving through space at sixty seven thousand miles an hour. You're doing all that without even trying. Whatever the next week brings, it's not going to be too much trouble for someone moving at sixty seven thousand miles an hour while spinning around at 1000mph, is it? You can do anything. See you next week, speedy.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
When is the EVS Incel Joker book being announced?
right after he finishes RobotToad

Did someone post this from Ellis' newsletter last week?

Also, speaking of Ellis' newsletter, his signoffs always make me feel good. Here are some to help you through the rest of the week:

My favorite:
Damn it's a real website

Also where can i get that newsletter? seems great. Ellis is great

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
zdars.co said:
In 2013 he made the jump from the dying print industry to a different dying print industry as a comic-boy, co-creating the award-winning comic Sex Criminals with Matt Fraction. Since then he's done work for Marvel, Image and Archie, but his true passion is writing bios for webpages.
this is great

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

SlimeBeherit

Nov 5, 2017
Funny find. In the new Young Guns Sketchbook #1, they've got a drawing from Mr. Dauterman. "Russell Dauterman draws Storm, one of his favorite heroes, and conceives his own personal design for her." So that's Dauterman's design, eh? How weird, it feels like we've seen it before...

IMG_8598.jpeg
powerofx2019001_cassara_character-decades-var.jpg

Oh, it just happens to be Storm's new costume for Hickman's X-Men.

Yeah we saw it in X-Men Red...?

latest

Cause here we have Mahmud Asrar talking about his influence for the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.