• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
The DC SDCC CMX sale stack with the Sandman sale, so can get the whole thing for really cheap.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think solos are the opposite way to go for newer characters. They don't sell. Like, that's the gods honest truth.

Shuri #9 10,720
Ironheart #7 10,545
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #45 10,514
Runaways #22 8,958

Whereas:
Major X #5 28,641
Rob Liefeld throwing whatever on a page is double Shuri. Double! That's actually a 1,000 people up for #4, by the by. ON MAJOR X.

Breakouts are rare. Marvel's had Miles, which jumped off Ultimate Spider-Man. Spider-Gwen from Spider-Verse. Ms. Marvel was straight up. DC pulled Bendis, who on name alone has managed to keep Naomi up (pretty strong actually), but they're doing the season thing and merging her into Young Justice in the meantime. New Age of Heroes died on the vine, with the most popular of the two surviving books being another ensemble of existing characters. Silencer is at 8K, and I assume DC is still publishing it for the prestige, but you can only ride that out on maybe 2-3 book in a line.

I think they'll do new books, but "Put out new stuff, spend into the hole" isn't the best business model. And until we tear up the direct market, this is what we got.

So let me rephrase that. What do you want that would actually sell? Like, sure, I'd like Ewing on Spaceknights or Sentry, but no one gives a flying one about Spaceknights or Sentry.

I miss mini series. Let's not pretend every character needs a 50 issue run. Tom King is languishing on Batman because he just had to do 100 issues, even though 75 would've been fine. I want some announcements of a 12 issue mini series of some likable characters.

May 24, 2019
DC does mini/maxi series (Mr Miracle, Martian Manhunter, Naomi, Walmart stuff, all of the upcoming Joe Hill horror comics, the just announced Metal Men) and Marvel has minis that they call ongoings and cancel before ten issues :)

Aine

May 27, 2019
I miss mini series. Let's not pretend every character needs a 50 issue run. Tom King is languishing on Batman because he just had to do 100 issues, even though 75 would've been fine. I want some announcements of a 12 issue mini series of some likable characters.

It's kind of a catch-22, though. Announce a character book as a mini and people will assume it's nothing interesting or important. Announce that same book as an ongoing and people debate over whether or not that character "deserves" it, not to mention how things fare after that shiny new #1. Sales will be there, but staying power is a case-by-case.

Oct 25, 2017
iAQVfDD.png

Perfection.

SDCC sale has me caught up on pretty much everything I had my eye on at this point.Grabbed:

Murder Falcon
Head Lopper v.3
Little Bird
Invisible Kingdom
Umbrella Academy v.3
& the rest of Coda

The only thing that hasn't went up that I was hoping to get up to date on in time for the last issue was These Savage Shores, but I can't really complain.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
DC does mini/maxi series (Mr Miracle, Martian Manhunter, Naomi, Walmart stuff, all of the upcoming Joe Hill horror comics, the just announced Metal Men) and Marvel has minis that they call ongoings and cancel before ten issues :)

It's a really sketchy and shitty business practice on Marvel's (and others') part, too. At the very least, having a creative team sign on for a specific-length run gives them an opportunity to chain together contracts as necessary. Marvel's effectively telling creative teams that they should do their best and if they sell then they can keep working, only the terms of when their state of failure is reached are ambiguous and they're often made to jump through ridiculous hoops for events or other more popular runs' decisions. So you end up with someone like Bunn on Asgardians of the Galaxy a.) legitimately believing they had a long run ahead of them now out of work, with b.) not even a single meaningful arc finished. and c.)fans who were willing to invest in a new idea left abandoned and bitter.

It's a garbo situation and really a sign of poor management. They're structuring things so they, editorial and not the creatives, are given room to be flexible to their to market fluctuations and creatives/readers be damned. Imagine if Asgardian had gotten an arc out, rather than being shifted towards War of the Realms and then killed off by War of the Realms splitting the team for other books. Marvel never gave it a chance because its priority wasn't the book, the creative team, nor its readers.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading Avengers 17. What an insane arc. I couldn't believe half the shit I was reading most of the time. The sheer amount of everything was mind blowing.

Oct 25, 2017
The DC SDCC CMX sale stack with the Sandman sale, so can get the whole thing for really cheap.

Lol Tim pointed out to me that you can get the new titles at 34 cents an issue with the sale, the discount code and the cmxu discount all applied. At that everyone remotely interested should give them a shot, esp The Dreaming and Lucifer

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Whelp, if I'm gonna read Brightest Day, may as well read it all...

Actually enjoying it so far. Lots of little mysteries and some interesting new threats born out Blackest Night that are reminding me why that big event didn't quite grab me.

I suppose its largely just the zombie premise wasn't for me, but there is a lot of intrigue here in how all these little players are thrown off course by a lot of seemingly unrelated nonsensical curious happenings that demand figuring out. All of which potentially are connected. I'm intrigued, whereas I found Blackest Night grew tiring with constant big fights and endless reminders that the scary monsters are not your mom and dad or wife or girlfriend.

Brightest Day may shit the bed(and many are mixed on it), and yeesh there are a lot of tie-ins and series under this banner, but so far I'm digging the chunk of issues I've read. (Well the JLA/JSA stuff with Jade and evil Alan is a low point so far)

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Imagine complaining about comics in any fashion when we are one day away from a new blessing of Immortal Hulk

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Read through Red Ultramiraine by Manuele Fior (5000km per sec, Blackbird Days) yesterday. Rather different than his other works and feels a little more 'rough around the edges' but I loved that. Great art style and colour use. Two parallel/intertwined stories - one a retelling of the Icarus fable and the other about a young manic/depressive architect and his girlfriend set in current time.

RouyRuh.png

tPLTAqb.png

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, if I'm gonna read Brightest Day, may as well read it all...

Actually enjoying it so far. Lots of little mysteries and some interesting new threats born out Blackest Night that are reminding me why that big event didn't quite grab me.

I suppose its largely just the zombie premise wasn't for me, but there is a lot of intrigue here in how all these little players are thrown off course by a lot of seemingly unrelated nonsensical curious happenings that demand figuring out. All of which potentially are connected. I'm intrigued, whereas I found Blackest Night grew tiring with constant big fights and endless reminders that the scary monsters are not your mom and dad or wife or girlfriend.

Brightest Day may shit the bed(and many are mixed on it), and yeesh there are a lot of tie-ins and series under this banner, but so far I'm digging the chunk of issues I've read. (Well the JLA/JSA stuff with Jade and evil Alan is a low point so far)

The biggest problem with Brightest Day is that the actual event comic was very clearly setting up a new status quo and reintroduced a bunch of characters and then that was all thrown out for the New 52. I would liked to have seen what the DCU would have been like had Flashpoint not been a reboot and just a Flash story as originally intended.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem with Brightest Day is that the actual event comic was very clearly setting up a new status quo and reintroduced a bunch of characters and then that was all thrown out for the New 52. I would liked to have seen what the DCU would have been like had Flashpoint not been a reboot and just a Flash story as originally intended.

Damn. Really sucks to hear that.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Really sucks to hear that.

Yeah, it was super frustrating. The original plan for Flashpoint was the story was pretty much going to be the same, and then when it was over DC was going to launch a Flash Family/Speed Force book that would have been the like the Flash equivalent of GLC. Stupid Didio and Lee screwed all that up.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized

Have X-Men and TMNT crossed over yet?

Cause that's the one that needs to happen. It's so fucking obvious.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Started Elfen Lied last night, just read the first chapter. it's funny how early 2000s this shit is.

Everyone has insanely huge derpy eyes and has the physique of Kevin Durant.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I read The Magic Order yesterday and you know despite the shame of reading a Mark Millar book in 2019 and the fact that it was basically just made to get picked up by Netflix it could've been worse I guess

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Started Elfen Lied last night, just read the first chapter. it's funny how early 2000s this shit is.

Everyone has insanely huge derpy eyes and has the physique of Kevin Durant.
This series is bad.

And it's bad in such a specific way that I have since been able to tell any manga by that mangaka purely by the bad that permeates all of his work.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about Marvel Comics #1000

Maybe it wont be selling a million copies lol. Higgins said he ordered 2% of what he ordered for Detective #1000

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Anyone got any thoughts on Uncanny? Worth reading ahead of Hickman to get the status quo? Or we betting on none of this sticking?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got any thoughts on Uncanny? Worth reading ahead of Hickman to get the status quo? Or we betting on none of this sticking?
It's brutal, I've been reading it, but that's more because it's like watching a car wreck And you just can't look away.

Stuff will probably stick, at least for a little bit. But none of it is really all that important besides some character deaths. They went into the series knowing they were going to kill off quite a few people. It was probably planned as a way to fix things before HiX-Men, like Eve of Destruction for Morrison's New X-Men.

Still pissed that after all this time they finally relaunch Uncanny and this is what they decided to do lol.

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd bet none or very little sticks
It's brutal, I've been reading it, but that's more because it's like watching a car wreck And you just can't look away.

Stuff will probably stick, at least for a little bit. But none of it is really all that important besides some character deaths. They went into the series knowing they were going to kill off quite a few people. It was probably planned as a way to fix things before HiX-Men, like Eve of Destruction for Morrison's New X-Men.

Still pissed that after all this time they finally relaunch Uncanny and this is what they decided to do lol.

Sounds like I'll give it a quick wiki readthrough this weekend.

Emma mindwiping mutants out of memory seems important, though.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just mad the one thing i woulda been interested in never got in.

Illyana dating Hope woulda been curious.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like I'll give it a quick wiki readthrough this weekend.

Emma mindwiping mutants out of memory seems important, though.
If you do end up checking it out, you can pretty much start after the Disassembled stuff, which I think was the first 15 issues. It was a weekly series that sets up the Age of X-Man stuff. After that, the book becomes about the X-Men that didnt end up in the Age of X-Man, and thats where the "important" stuff starts.

I'm just mad the one thing i woulda been interested in never got in.

Illyana dating Hope woulda been curious.
Yea that would have been really neat to see. They barely even touched Hope outside of those 2 issues where she first shows up, so this would have at least given her something else to do lol. I dont even recall the two even talking to each other now that im thinking about it more.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all didn't want Rosenberg writing that relationship. Someone else sure... But not him.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

gives context to the opening lines of HoX, too:

"Humans of Earth - while you slept, the world changed."

If you do end up checking it out, you can pretty much start after the Disassembled stuff, which I think was the first 15 issues. It was a weekly series that sets up the Age of X-Man stuff. After that, the book becomes about the X-Men that didnt end up in the Age of X-Man, and thats where the "important" stuff starts.

I read the first 10 issues and dropped, actually. I've still got a ton I want to read, so I will probably just end up wiki'ing this. I'm nearly done with my comprehensive mutant read, and only have these left:

Age of X
War of Kings
X-Men: Legacy 250-260 (end of Carey's run)
Spurrier X-Force
Mr. & Mrs. X

Status
Not open for further replies.