• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frank Quietly faces - Potato, Not Potato?

• Potato

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Not Potato

Votes: 49 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Doomsday Clock has been inconsequential since Dan Didio decided he didn't give a fuck about what Geoff Johns was doing. Like, literally the only reason this story mattered was to bring back the Justice Society, the 90's heroes, and the Legion of Super-Heroes. Bendis is bringing back the Legion and Young Justice (Connor Hawke BTFO apparently), and Tynion/Snyder are bringing back the Justice Society. There's literally no purpose to DC other than to finish it to say they did.

At best, maybe when 12 comes out they could use it as an excuse to refresh the line.

I like how you completely dismiss the idea that Doomsday Clock has any value as a story on its own merits. that's mostly not sarcasm, I agree that it's not a good comic, but hey, at least it's a weirder, more ambitious, and more interesting failure than anything I would have expected to spin out of DCU Rebirth #1.

anyway, there'll probably be one or two Doomsday Clock Aftermath projects announced at SDCC, like a book about New Rorschach's adventures in the DCU or something, but it'll otherwise stay irrelevant to the rest of the DC line. I'd love to know what the original plan was for how it was supposed to impact the broader DCU, but to be honest, I suspect that everyone involved had only a vague idea when the book started.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I like how you completely dismiss the idea that Doomsday Clock has any value as a story on its own merits. that's mostly not sarcasm, I agree that it's not a good comic, but hey, at least it's a weirder, more ambitious, and more interesting failure than anything I would have expected to spin out of DCU Rebirth #1.

anyway, there'll probably be one or two Doomsday Clock Aftermath projects announced at SDCC, like a book about New Rorschach's adventures in the DCU or something, but it'll otherwise stay irrelevant to the rest of the DC line. I'd love to know what the original plan was for how it was supposed to impact the broader DCU, but to be honest, I suspect that everyone involved had only a vague idea when the book started.

In your zeal to dunk on Johns, you've made a strange assumption. I don't think Doomsday Clock is a bad comic at all. I just never gave a fuck about it beyond it fixing the "New 52" because I don't give a shit about Alan Moore's knock-off Charlton characters meeting up with DC icons.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Doomsday Clock was intended to build up to a massive change in DC continuity (and, in fact, since the Metaverse revelation in #10, has, in a way), but it had an embedded excuse to exist out of the way of every other book in the line for however long it would end up running, which is just good editing practice, especially in the context of how everything turned out.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Reading that thread on The Amazing Spider-Man, I was wondering what you guys thought of Maguire's Peter/Spider-Man. Though I liked those movies a lot when they came out (I was quite young), after rewatching them recently I can't say I enjoyed them too much, and I feel a big part of it is that I don't find Maguire to be a really good Peter nor Spider-Man. Except for the making ends meet part, I think his behaviour and personality don't really fit with his comic book version.

It's a variation on the character that works for the story Raimi and friends are trying to tell. It's an extremely silver age take imo, except instead of the anger and frustration you get the much more palatable meek nerdiness. I understand that people don't think he's a great version of the character, but I do think that opinions like "it's not a Spider-Man movie" are wack. These are the same people that probably bend over backwards to defend every single change they made to the MCU version. Iirc even Feige himself thinks Spider-Man 2 was a great film (he's actually a producer on it) and stated that he hoped to surpass it with the MCU's Spider-Man films.

Spider-Verse's Peter B. Parker is the best big screen version of the character tbh

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Watchmen but the characters really have zero value out of the context of their own universe. They're all intentionally archetypal.

I honestly feel the same was about this Black Hammer/Justice League crossover. Like who cares? The point in the pastiche is that they're evocative of the originals. Like, is it really interesting for Pseudo Martian Manhunter to meet Actual Martian Manhunter? Moreso than just a self-contained DC story?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In your zeal to dunk on Johns, you've made a strange assumption. I don't think Doomsday Clock is a bad comic at all. I just never gave a fuck about it beyond it fixing the "New 52" because I don't give a shit about Alan Moore's knock-off Charlton characters meeting up with DC icons.
Its trying to do much I feel. 5 issues around around Dr.M and Superman philosophy wander around DC and it history and superhuman distrust would of been golden.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that thread on The Amazing Spider-Man, I was wondering what you guys thought of Maguire's Peter/Spider-Man. Though I liked those movies a lot when they came out (I was quite young), after rewatching them recently I can't say I enjoyed them too much, and I feel a big part of it is that I don't find Maguire to be a really good Peter nor Spider-Man. Except for the making ends meet part, I think his behaviour and personality don't really fit with his comic book version.

I missed this post. I want to do a rewatch of all the Spider-Man films after Far from Home comes out. My current feeling is that the MCU films and TASM1 are both better than most (if not all) of Raimi's trilogy.

Anyway, I wasn't a terribly big fan of Maguire's Spidey. My Spidey tells jokes.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like Doomsday Clock was intended to build up to a massive change in DC continuity (and, in fact, since the Metaverse revelation in #10, has, in a way), but it had an embedded excuse to exist out of the way of every other book in the line for however long it would end up running, which is just good editing practice, especially in the context of how everything turned out.

that's generous IMO, but I suppose it's managed not to contradict any other DC book too much despite being ostensibly set ahead in time of the rest of the line (though I suspect a lot of the delays had to do with rewriting and redrawing previously completed portions of the book to avoid precisely those contradictions, on top of Frank just being a slow artist, sooooo)

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I think the most marvel thing marvel is doing is releasing the manhua they're translating as single floppy issues. When the were initially released in china as 100 page volumes.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I missed this post. I want to do a rewatch of all the Spider-Man films after Far from Home comes out. My current feeling is that the MCU films and TASM1 are both better than most (if not all) of Raimi's trilogy.

Anyway, I wasn't a terribly big fan of Maguire's Spidey. My Spidey tells jokes.

Raimi-Man gets major points for JJJ and Dafoe

everything else? lol

shout out to Nick Spencer for actually having an inhibitor chip that isn't fucking stupid

ASM 1 tried, I'll give it that, but I'd honestly rather watch any of the Raimi-Man movies over it. Far From Home did the awkward teen romance so much better than garfield and stone stammering over each other as they talked.

MCU gets the characters

May 24, 2019
I'm reading Doomsday Clock on it's own merits at this point. It's hooked me on a basic storytelling level.

I honestly feel the same was about this Black Hammer/Justice League crossover. Like who cares? The point in the pastiche is that they're evocative of the originals. Like, is it really interesting for Pseudo Martian Manhunter to meet Actual Martian Manhunter? Moreso than just a self-contained DC story?

I'm trusting Lemire is interested in exploring that more than just the basic meta thing.

Last edited:

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
(though I suspect a lot of the delays had to do with rewriting and redrawing previously completed portions of the book to avoid precisely those contradictions, on top of Frank just being a slow artist, sooooo)

I feel like Johns was put in charge of almost every single DC TV and Film project right around the time Doomsday Clock was starting, which would also delay the book a fair bit.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

David Gabriel:
289238.jpg

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Raimi-Man gets major points for JJJ and Dafoe

everything else? lol

shout out to Nick Spencer for actually having an inhibitor chip that isn't fucking stupid

ASM 1 tried, I'll give it that, but I'd honestly rather watch any of the Raimi-Man movies over it. Far From Home did the awkward teen romance so much better than garfield and stone stammering over each other as they talked.

MCU gets the characters

Far from Home's romance was too awkward. I like the film but it was so awkward I felt second hand embarrassment for them both. I guess that's the goal of the writer, but that's not something that makes it easy to get into the film itself. Everything else about the movie was great, though.

Stone and Garfield just felt so much more natural to me.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
ASM got people being in love down pact.

MCU got people who are into each other but not nearly there yet down pact, there's a difference, but it's distinct.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Far from Home's romance was too awkward. I like the film but it was so awkward I felt second hand embarrassment for them both. I guess that's the goal of the writer, but that's not something that makes it easy to get into the film itself. Everything else about the movie was great, though.

Stone and Garfield just felt so much more natural to me.

for me tom and zendaya actually felt like two awkward teens with a thing for each other while garfield and stone felt like two actors utilizing a trope

that kiss zendaya gives tom was, like, the realest depiction of a teen romance I've personally seen in a movie

feeling second hand embarrassment for them speaks to the authenticity of what they did

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
In addition to "Gideon Falls fucking ruled", I have to admit that "what would happen if all of a sudden a real-ass doctor trying to make things better started working at Arkham Asylum" is one of my Dream Batman Pitches.
Oh, that actually sounds pretty neat lol. Guess I should have read the article more lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
it's weird how Invisible Woman #1 reminded me why I liked Nick Fury Sr and hate Nick Fury Jr all in a matter of page turns. Jr went from regular ol navy dude to master spy who has pull with everyone with no buildup and to this day it gets on my nerves every time I see him not be called out as useless in any appearance.
They really should have just brought Ultimate Nick Fury over to the 616, rather than creating this Fury Jr.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
They're spending so much time with teenage Peter Parker but what if Holland decides to retire from the role after a decade. Are we going to get a Peter that doesn't even graduate college? 🤔

May 24, 2019
I doubt MCU Peter's going back to high school after the events of FFH.
The next movie he's on the run/ in hiding, then if he's cleared his name in time for Avengers 5 and SM4, he'll be in college having done a GED or something.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't accept Shoto/Momo. Momo and Jiro are clearly more than gal pals. These Shoto shippers are cowards.

Also its Kirishima and Ashido seeing as Hirokoshi will never accept Kiribaku

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Guess Near Mint is going to be getting the Marvel solicits early lol.
EDIT: This is only for the Collected Editions :(

New Omnis:
Miles Morales Omni (The 616 Spider-Man series that follows directly after the Ultimate Miles Omni) Feb 2020

X-MEN Vs. APOCALYPSE: The Twelve Omnibus!!!!! Fuck yes! I was just wondering why they hadnt done this one before the Revolution Omni. I know the stories are shit, but I really wanted this! Feb 2020

Looks like its got The Shattering, Powerless, and both X-Men Vs. Apocalypse trades. Just need one with the stuff from right before like Magneto War.

Guess I'll be buying two omnis in Feb.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They really should have just brought Ultimate Nick Fury over to the 616, rather than creating this Fury Jr.
Nah, they should've just properly introduced and built up Marcus Johnson as a Nick Fury replacement instead of immediately jumping to him being Nick Fury and a head honcho that everyone should pay attention to and respect. No one's built him up, he's just always appears, barking out orders as if he's in charge.

Or better yet, they should've just left Maria Hill or Quake in charge of SHIELD.

Getting rid of Fury and SHIELD was so dumb.
And we already know they're going to be back. Agents of Wakanda won't last too long.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think S-M1 is way overrated. It's ok.
S-M2 remains great. Molina is perfect in his role.
S-M3 is dunked on too much. It's flawed, but not awful.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I want a good old sword and sorcerery with Black Knight, goddamnit. Conan is not enough

Must be terrible going through life with opinions this bad.

Conan is great stuff. Black Knight could NEVER.

Also: I didn't see anyone happy to see my boy back in town:

88864enhzg931.jpg

Time to give Miggy/Gabe his own series again! I think there's a market for a legitimately horrifying apocalyptic future/cyberpunk/body horror comic, given what Immortal Hulk has been doing so far. 2099 is perfect for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.